[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Are there really honestly objectively no better alternatives

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 4

File: TS_0.25inch_mono_plug.jpg (79KB, 1024x660px) Image search: [Google]
TS_0.25inch_mono_plug.jpg
79KB, 1024x660px
Are there really honestly objectively no better alternatives to this piece of tech?
Moving the DAC/Amp to the headphones and using meme connections like Lightning ports is not an objective improvement.
>>
Sure, there exists numerous other machine guns you can mount on top of a jeep, but why use them when the Browning M2 is and has always been the standard?
>>
>>58131331
why fix what isn't broke?

you can make an argument for getting a dac and amp outside of a computer case for interference, but its very hard to justify moving away from the traditional jacks as they are damn near universal and anything new would not open up better quality, performance, or make it more sturdy.
>>
>>58132082
THIS.

What do you think needs to be "improved" or changed? It's sturdy, cheap, easily re-solderable if the cable is damaged, easily conducts enough electricity for its intended purpose, is usually used on equipment where size is not a consideration...
How/why should it be changed?
>>
File: Japanese-Keyboard-03.jpg (90KB, 620x450px) Image search: [Google]
Japanese-Keyboard-03.jpg
90KB, 620x450px
>>58132134
>What do you think needs to be "improved" or changed?

Not OP, but I'll offer this:

The connection is kind of pathetic. If the plug rotates, you can get static noises from the changing connection.

At the very least, I'd like to see double-sided spring force applied. I think ring terminal connections are usually just a spring-force applied to one side, but let's see both sides. And instead of a flat piece of steel barely making contact, how about a half-circle, contoured one?

Similar reason as to why a coax connector should be used for power transmission (e.g. 12V heated vest on a motorcycle) rather than a phono plug, since you get much better contact.
>>
>>58132134
I don't think anything needs to be improved or changed desu
I just think a standard that was created over 100 years ago ought to have something better in $current_year
There's nothing inherently wrong with it but in the world of electronics 10 years is a giant leap forward, I can't even imagine what over 100 look like because we didn't even have computers over 100 years ago.
>>
>>58132166
Consider that the plug itself was designed so that it could be removed quickly and easily with little force.
This is pretty useful in many of the situations you use a 1/4in plug for - live audio is the one that comes to mind best. Think sound engineers digging hands behind their soundboard to move over to a different plug. Having a screw-down connector would make life hell. There's a right connector for everything, and the 1/4 has a use.
>>
File: DC-Coax-Size-N.jpg (41KB, 1040x1040px) Image search: [Google]
DC-Coax-Size-N.jpg
41KB, 1040x1040px
>>58132199

Whoa, who said anything about a screw down connector?

This is a DC coax plug.
>>
>>58132199
That seems like a pretty niche use of the standard nowadays.
The majority of 3,5mm users are using it for music, either through speakers or headphones.
I know they were designed to switch between telephone lines and shiet but it's current year. We don't have operators sitting in a room with a giant console switching cables around.
>>
>>58132166
>If the plug rotates, you can get static noises from the changing connection.
This may occur if the jack spring is too weak to maintain contact, but that would be a problem with the jack, not the plug.
>At the very least, I'd like to see double-sided spring force applied.
Agreed, this is a good jack design, but the jack is not the plug.
>>58132166
>And instead of a flat piece of steel ... how about a half-circle, contoured one?
Bad idea, would be prone to bending out of shape.

>>58132178
>$current_year
>>58132230
>but it's current year.
This is a cuck meme, why are you falling for it?
>>58132230
>The majority of 3,5mm users are using it for music
Yes, but the only functional differences between 3.5mm stereo and 6.25mm stereo plugs is size and strength, so 3.5mm makes perfect sense on a phone, walkman, pocket-radio, etc. but is weaker and more easily prone to breakage. The smaller size requirement simply isn't there for instruments or instrument amplifiers and the additional weakness is a serious drawback for pro/industrial (ie. live stage) use.
>>
>>58131331
I would have thought of something like a miniaturized Speakon connector or the like as a more suitable connector.
You can have differential and balanced connections over TS/TRS connectors, and while they might short out in the plug, they basically do the job with electrical audio signals.
>>
>>58132230
>>58132178
>Wanting to change something for the sake of change
Nu-male betas detected. If ain't broke don't fix it.
>>
>>58131376
Because the mk19 exists
>>
>>58132432
>that would be a problem with the jack, not the plug.

Uh. Yeah, which is exactly what I addressed in the rest of my comment.

>but the jack is not the plug.

You're a pedantic idiot.
>>
File: file.png (77KB, 400x266px) Image search: [Google]
file.png
77KB, 400x266px
mono jacks are pieces of shit

Everyone should use balanced XLR connectors.
If your DAC/Amp doesn't have XLR, or a least balanced jack, go get a better one.
Thread posts: 15
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.