[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Totally not stealing WiFi

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 2

File: WiFi.png (164KB, 544x596px) Image search: [Google]
WiFi.png
164KB, 544x596px
Do you think it is possible to connect a desktop to WiFi, using a laptop that does have internet access, by connecting them via Ethernet cable?

I've poked around in the settings, tried enabling sharing, tried making an ad hoc but no luck yet.

They definitely recognize that they're connected to each other, closest I've gotten is the laptop showing it's connected to multiple networks, one of which is its WiFi card connected to the internet but I just can't get the desktop to start piggybacking; the network it was on showed an invalid IP.
>>
connecting what via ethernet cable?
>>
>>58130980
Connecting the desktop to the laptop that has WiFi.

The desktop has a network card, but it's not detecting the wireless network.
>>
Yes, there are plenty of guides online. On windows you need to create a new network device.
>>
>>58130989
yeah it's not going to know there is wireless involved unless it has a wireless card

the general concept is possible though, yes
>>
>>58130994
I will have to google harder. The ones I found assume that at least one of the devices is wired to a modem. Neither of mine are.
>>
File: Capture.png (24KB, 1108x462px) Image search: [Google]
Capture.png
24KB, 1108x462px
>>
superuser.com/questions/86626/how-can-i-share-a-laptops-wi-fi-connection-through-its-ethernet-port
>>
youll have an easier time just getting a cheap usb wifi stick or something
android (at least CM) can let you usb tether while the phone has a wifi connection too
>>
>>58130972
>it was on showed an invalid IP.

Did you manually assign the IP to the laptop?
Usually have to do that to get shot like this working.
>>
>>58131300
or buy connectify
>>
>>58131338
Just manually entered the IP address from the bridged connection on the laptop. Now the desktop says that the "DHCP is not enabled for 'Local Area Connection'" is the reason it can't connect to the internet.
Thread posts: 12
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.