[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

conventions of old

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 4

Was taught at Oxford that there were two conventions to writing code, basically the British and American way.

The British way used := for assignment, = for comparison, ; to separate sentences of code, and words to delimit blocks of code: if x = y then z := 1 end;

The American way used = for assignment, ==(=) for comparison, ; to end lines of code, and brackets to delimit blocks of code: if x == y { z = 1; }

Obviously the American way won out, arguably for the best.
Any views either way?
>>
>British vs American
No, I think it's more "Pascal vs C", although there are earlier languages that use that notation.
>>
>>58120464
The British way is probably easier for someone who doesn't program to read; however, the american way looks much cleaner imo
>>
>>58120464
I am British. Fuck the British way of doing anything.
>>
>>58120464
>; to end lines of code
It's not like
A sentence,
Written on many lines,
Is supposed to end
Without dot,
You, dumb Simpsons mutant hand poster.
>>
File: english beaut.jpg (38KB, 540x540px) Image search: [Google]
english beaut.jpg
38KB, 540x540px
>>
>>58120464
British have 2 faucets for hot and cold and 2 separate keyboards. One for capped letters. Fuck everything British.
>>
>>58120535
Lemme elaborate on it then

This is the British way:

begin

if x = y then
dothis;
dothat;
andthis;
end;

dosomethingelse

end

--- so entire blocks need to be delimited with semicolons – but only delimited, so the last semicolon is optional. That is why the choice of character was a semicolon: it has the same function in English.
>>
File: england531692.jpg (24KB, 640x512px) Image search: [Google]
england531692.jpg
24KB, 640x512px
>>58120544
>>
File: english196283.jpg (27KB, 600x612px) Image search: [Google]
english196283.jpg
27KB, 600x612px
>>58120551
>>
>>58120493
Pascal and C just became the most popular languages to come from the two types. The difference was sort of born from two different methods used in the two different countries
Thread posts: 11
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.