[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I'm stuck and going crazy.

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 1

File: i have a question fox.jpg (19KB, 325x236px) Image search: [Google]
i have a question fox.jpg
19KB, 325x236px
I'm in a rut here guys. I'll start from the top.

I've always wanted to work with computers. I had no idea what I wanted to do, but ever since high school I knew it was computers.

So far I've passed high school and had some college. My gf got pregnant during my sophomore year and I left to start working. Fast forward two years and I am working from home at a job making car rental reservations over the phone to support her and baby. I make 12.50/hr (22k/yr depending on time off), so it's enough to live on for now. She is going to school to be a teacher and out daughter is getting near the age where we can take her to day care.

I feel it is time to start my life back up again. After she becomes a teacher I'll be going back to school. You see though, I wasn't focused at school either. I just screwed around half the time I was there and never really put any thought into my education. Which resulted in me failing even the most basic math classes (College Algebra) three times. I never really had a direction to work towards and just took my time there for granted.

Now I am tired of making barely enough to support us on and I am so ready to move out of this house and out of this job.

I like working from home because I get to watch my daughter grow up instead of seeing it happen from 6-10pm five days a week like everyone else.

I heard that back end web devs can work from home and make a decent salary (60k or so), but I know nothing about that kind of job. If anyone here has any knowledge or experience with this please tell me, I would love to know.

Answers I am looking for more specifically:

What kind of degree should I go after for this kind of job.
Do I need to go to finish college? Or will tech school be able to offer what I need?
How much math will I need to be successful in this? I know I'll have to suck it up and make it work, I just want to be prepared.
How remote are the jobs really?
Any chance that I can work from literally anywhere on earth with internet?
>>
>>58118633
I can't offer much advice but I feel this is more inspiring than consumerism general, have a bump.

Keep your head high brother
>>
Kill kid
Kill gf
Kill self

Doesn't have to be in that order.
>>
>>58118645
Thank you. I have high hopes for this post.
>>
I'm in college myself for Software Engineering, so I dont have any useful advice other than keep pushing, anon. Best of luck to you.
>>
>>58118645
The best job I've ever had was working IT help desk at my university before I left. I had just started when I got the news too so I wasn't able to enjoy the job for a long time. But dammit it that wasn't the most fun two months I've ever had working anywhere. It didn't even feel like work desu.
>>
>>58118704
One of the reasons I felt the urge to research this more was because one of my friends that I worked Helpdesk with just posted about a job he got with Lockheed Martin in Colorado as a software engineer. I looked it up and apparently it pays around 75k/yr. I was really feeling jealous.

How many math classes have you had to take and how far along are you in your degree program?
>>
>>58118708
Is "to be honest" replaced with desu?
haha wtf I just noticed that.
>>
If you want to go into CS/enginnering/STEM, you'll need a hell of a lot more math than college algebra.

There's not much of a market for non-CS/SE major remote engineers unless you can find it within yourself to run a freelance/independent frontend web dev business. You'll need to find clients, capital, time, design skills, code skills, and business sense to do that though.

College is almost mandatory if you want to work enterprise remotely, unless you somehow manage to have an impressive portfolio or previous experience without a degree.

This is very ancedotal, but many people I know say that working remotely is not very desirable, even with the prospect of being able to care for your child. You would most certainly be nothing more than a contractor and there are communication barriers associated with it.

That being said I also personally know someone who makes 6 figures USD with no college education by building/maintaining professional photographer/videographer websites. She's self-learned but also very ambitious and social. Its all about who you know, being ambitious, and if you can find an untapped market I suppose.
>>
> How much math will I need to be successful in this?

none. learn math for your general intellect, not for that job skill.
>>
>>58118742
>being this new
>>
build a cool project
show it to employers
get hired

you don't always need a degree. people often get hired because of cool shit they've built (often as hobbies)
>>
>>58118730

I'm halfway through my sophomore year. I've taken Calculus I, Calculus II, and a prerequisite course for calculus I (trigonometry and algebra wrapped into one)

I have discrete mathematics next semester, which I know fuck all about. No idea if it's anywhere near as hard as Calculus II (the only math course so far that I would call hard).

Unfortunately most of my classes so far have been knocking out core curriculum bull shit. Only taken one programming class so far and taking 2 next semester.
>>
>>58118941
>being this trolled
>>
>>58118683
You might have problems doing the other 2 if you kill yourself first
Thread posts: 15
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.