[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Desktop Environment/WM

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 4

File: maxresdefault.jpg (46KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault.jpg
46KB, 1280x720px
What's better, a full blown desktop environment or just a window manager? Is the only difference the fact the DEs provide special utilities?

Is there any real benefit to using only a window manager?
>>
File: desktop.png (822KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
desktop.png
822KB, 1920x1080px
More flexible and customizable.
>>
>>58115738
It depends on the user and its taste. Thou with a bare bones window manager you can get low resource usage, my wm uses about 1mb of ram while things like KDE goes close to 1GB I think.

For people just starting is nice to have a default set of tools, like a file manager with USB hotplug preset, or a network manager.

When you want change things in a DE is when you need to be careful of not erasing all the defaults. That is why ricers go for bare bones distros like arch or gentoo, because they built from the ground up.
>>
>>58116455
Is that file manager Ranger? What patch do you use to show the images in the terminal?
>>
>>58116539
Not him but you need w3mimg and set the image preview in the config.
>>
>>58116539
Yes. You just need to install w3m as it uses it's image library to display pictures.
>>
>>58116519
>bare bones distros like arch or gentoo
You can get Debian net install and install just the base system with utilities and then build on it.
>>
>>58116569
>>58116563
Thanks fellas!
>>
File: Screenshot_2016-12-21_22-34-30.png (653KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_2016-12-21_22-34-30.png
653KB, 1920x1080px
>>58115738
I like using just a Wm because you can mix and match programs from different DEs and have a completely custom-tailored experience.
>>
Install a WM and other utilities if you want to customize your desktop experience; install a full DE if you just want everything out of the box already set up.
>>
>>58116455
I've never understood the borderless meme. Explain.
>>
>>58117702
It looks cleaner, and it saves space.
>>
>>58117768
So why not always be full screen and use virtual desktops?
>>
>>58116519
>things like KDE goes close to 1GB I think.
Only if you leave a ton of desktop effects on.

I had no trouble knocking an installation of KDE Neon down to under 500mb RAM usage by default.
>>
>>58117791
Multitasking, it's easier to have all your windows open on one desktop than constantly flipping between virtual desktops, gnome dev.
Though it's mostly an aesthetic thing.
>>
I use both. I use i3 99% of the time. However I have xfce installed just as a failsafe in case I fuck up which is very likely.
>>
File: isac's fourth pc.png (1MB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
isac's fourth pc.png
1MB, 1920x1080px
>>58115738
>>
>>58115738
I only use wm and that dwm. Its in my experience fastest and most stable window manager i have ever used. In over a year im having this it hasnt glitched or crashed once. I cant program without tiling window managers anymore.
>>
>>58117791
because I find context switching distracting
Thread posts: 19
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.