[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

>wearable tech What went wrong?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 43
Thread images: 3

>wearable tech

What went wrong?
>>
>>58111185
They don't do anything useful. I have an apple watch and haven't worn it in months
>>
>>58111185
Doesn't really serve any useful purpose maybe?
Like shit man I already have two phones and a tablet I don't need a gimped miniphone on my wrist, too.
>>
They don't do much and are expensive

Too focused on health (probably because without the 'health', a lot of these are just expensive notification windows)
>>
I've heard different, that the market is still growing
>>
>>58111220
This and in many parts of Amerifat, health is not a concern.
>>
>>58111214
>>58111209
Smartwatches are great if you get a massive amount of text based information, like e-mails. But you only need the $30 one. $300 watches with cameras and gps and everything else are a meme.

They also make GSM watches, this isn't a watch at all but a complete phone. however a bt headset with these is a requirement.
>>
People will never accept a watch they must charge everyday
>>
I'm surprised there's still a market for it.
>>
>>58111307
>Smartwatches are great if you get a massive amount of text based information, like e-mails.
Are they though? Would not a smartphone with its larger screen and better typing interface be more effective at emails?
Anyway yeah I just don't see any real problems that a smartwatch solves -> there's no reason to have one.
>>
File: cancer.png (4KB, 381x47px) Image search: [Google]
cancer.png
4KB, 381x47px
The modern web is fucking shit. What went wrong?
>>
>>58111185
Any watch is wearable tech. I don't see any respectable adult men without a watch. It's a grand success.
>>
>>58111307
>Smartwatches are great if you get a massive amount of text based information, like e-mails

So a fucking phone?
>>
>>58111465
Flash, Javascript, Youtube, and social media.
>>
>>58111448
The idea is if you were getting a lot of text based information while you were also in a meeting and just wanted to quickly look. A lot of people will just throw you into the boat of zombies thinking that you're reading something personal if you take the phone out. It certainly isn't for responses, just reading.

I admit it's not a big market for anyone intelligent, you have to both have precious little time and get a shitload of e-mail or text.
>>
>>58111465
gee we sure don't have this question/thread every 15 minutes
>>
>>58111531
>The idea is if you were getting a lot of text based information while you were also in a meeting and just wanted to quickly look. A lot of people will just throw you into the boat of zombies thinking that you're reading something personal if you take the phone out. It certainly isn't for responses, just reading.
You know, repeatedly checking your watch in a meeting is frowned upon, too. I can only see that being amplified if it's a fucking mini phone.
>>
>>58111185

What went wrong is that people bought wearables other than the Apple Watch. Apple Watch master race.

I literally work in fast food, and my smartwatch is a godsend. It helps me see notifications when I'm not even supposed to have my phone on my person, it helps me find dates two/four/six weeks down the line for dating ingredients, it sets timers quickly and easily, and, of course, it shows me the date/time/weather (weather actually does matter to me, I'm a delivery driver).

In my personal life, I use it to manage my Hue lights via HomeKit, pay for things (seriously, watch-based payments are awesome, and basically no smartwatch besides the Apple Watch can do it, which I always thought was a big misstep on Google's part), do tip calculations and unit conversions, and track my running/cycling/exercise sessions. Also, if I misplace my phone, I can push a button to ding it, even if it's silenced. It's a much more useful feature than you'd expect.

It's awesome. I've worn it every day for over a year now.
>>
>>58111488
Once upon a time wristwatches were considered effeminate, actually. They became acceptable menswear after world war 1 - officers were issued wristwatches since they were quicker to use, smaller, and more durable than pocketwatches.
>>
>>58111669

Yeah, and once upon a time, noblemen all wore those gay powdered wigs. Times change, nigga.
>>
I like my smart watch, lol!
>>
>>58111185

a lot retards dont seem to get this, it's basic common sense tech history 101

for like 30 years the desktop/laptop was "the" computing device

right now that device is the smartphone. at least until 2040 or so when people will finally be like 'alright we improved this as much as we could, even my grandpa knows how to use one, now it's time for the next level'

you cant just cram all kinds of wearable gadgets like watches and vr headsets and so on all at the same time, simply because that's not how the vast majority of people look at technology.

it takes a lot of time to switch perspective from one class of devices to another and say "i need this, i'm gonna buy it, this thing is a necessity"
>>
$20 smartbands have the same functions as a smartwatch and like the watch they basically tell time, have fitness functions and notification options. The difference is a smartband will last 20 days on a charge while a $300 smartwatch is another thing to charge every day.
>>
>>58111760

>another thing to charge every day.

I never understood this meme. Do you sleep in your watch? Also, for what it's worth, I've gotten through two days with my Apple Watch before. It's very doable.
>>
>>58111787
>>58111652
hey guys my train I was taking to work exploded and when I woke up I was hanging from a tree off of the side of a cliff by my apple watch, I highly recommend it! then they called the shill fire department to come and get me down but not before I managed to shill the watch online for 3-4 hours, it happened to land only 25 feet away so I could still connect to it via bluetooth and post a few places
>>
>>58111845

>"lol these things have no use"
>"yes they do, [list of good uses]"
>"GTFO SHILL!!!"

I hope you're not deceiving yourself into thinking you're interested in anything other than a circlejerk on this here image board.
>>
>>58111787
It's annoying as fuck. What if I want to use the sleep monitoring? What do I do? Plug it in and sleep with a wire attached to me?

All the functions of your Apple watch are done by smartbands. My $15 i5 plus bracelet reads text FB/SMS messages, has alarms and in general is anchored by the phone. The only thing I can't do is talk into it while I'm driving. I'm a delivery driver too and use mine every day.
>>
I don't know. I won one of those on a contest and I'm putting it on sale the second it arrives.
>>
>>58111949

Sleep monitoring is basically a lost cause with smartwatches. I've come to terms with that.

Also, believe it or not, replying to text messages is pretty feasible on the Apple Watch. When the canned responses aren't adequate, i can write messages with my finger, which, after some practice, is faster than you'd expect.

Also, do you get turn-by-turn GPS, a voice assistant, and an actual music app complete with library navigation? Because I do.
>>
>>58111185
It has been obvious from the beginning that these are meme devices. Something only "trendy" braindead consumerist could have fallen for. VR is next.
>>
>>58112099

Maybe they're useless to NEETs and shut-ins, but to actual busy people, they're pretty cool.
>>
>>58111185
Battery life is shit.
>>
>>58112116
Yeah, being extremely busy updating their Twitter while drinking coffee in Starbucks, we get it.
>>
>>58112085
I use my head unit for music with a 64gb flash drive, so my phone isn't really used there. I never use GPS because I've delivered for 3 years in the same area, and the voice assistance is served by a phone mount, not that I ever use it.
>>
>>58111185
While i liked my Pebble it was with me I gotta admit it's just a notification extension and a music playback control.
No smartwatch is really worth more than 80$ and i like wearing memechanical watches.
>>
>>58111185
It's just the dev or company move into wrong way in this thing development

what we want for wearable is

>optimizing for map guidance
>reasonale price
>shock and hard bump resistant, not only water resistant
>good AI
>complete un-smartphone notification

but then again, they are failed to notice these
>>
>>58111307
i have the watch in your pic and can assure you its pretty shitty to use and the headphone port is the same port used for charging so its this short weird usb thing

also new wearable tech's biggest problem is that its horrible as a watch because the battery life is bad and you have a lcd screen that is always backlit and is not always on which causes. people making these smartwatches cant seem to understand that if its not good as a watch then nobody will want it
>>
>>58111185
>What went wrong?
Manufacturers still haven't figured out how to implement sane input on them.
I wont be getting a smart watch until this they can do this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rLQtqTpZBOU
>>
No point of upgrading my pebble time. It werks.
>>
>>58113305
cant upgrade your pebble when fitbit canceled the time 2 though
>>
Poor battery life
No one wants to charge their watch every night, especially if it can't even keep a constant watchface on. Otherwise they seem like fine devices
>>
Too soon
Steve Jobs would never have launched the Apple Watch
>>
They spent years marketing the phone as the all in one device. Now they want you to wear a watch? No, I don't wear watches. Sure if it did some amazing health monitoring I would think about it, but not for an expensive pulse device.
Thread posts: 43
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.