[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Chromebooks

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 67
Thread images: 13

File: Chromebook.png (93KB, 675x450px) Image search: [Google]
Chromebook.png
93KB, 675x450px
Chromebooks, are they shit /g/?
>>
>>58110983
>paying to get spied
>>
>>58110983
they're good if you replace the botnet os with real linux
>>
>>58111010
I was already planning to install Debian alongside the Chrome OS, but in that case isn't it just better to buy a regular laptop?
>>
>>58111041
You can't get better hardware for $200
>>
Chromebook is a really versatile affordable macbook without the mac.
>>
>>58111010

Yeah. I actually have the one on the pic. Chrome OS even isn't that bad, if you can manage to do everything in a browser.

It does have a music and video player and file manager too though.

I currently run Gallium OS on it, which is like Xubuntu for Chromebooks.
>>
Nope, have mine and love it. What are some concerns you have OP?

Some pros:
-Battery lasts forever (Can last a week of pick-up-put-down use without shutting down)
-Cheap, fast and secure
-Surprisingly well-designed OS, like it better than any Linux distro
-Everything just werks
>>
>>58111116
except when you go to download a movie and suddenly the things useless.

If you like living in the cloud, and subsequently getting spied on, go ahead.
>>
>>58111116
That the architecture is right to run Linux, spying, low storage space (so can't download series and watch them to go) and that you can't really seem to work offline.
>>
the cr-48 was really sexy, I'd buy one if the specs were right.
>>
>>58111171
>'i like my fork, it's useful'
>WHAT THE FUCK WHY WOULD YOU BUY A FORK
>CAN'T CUT STUFF WITH A FORK
>CAN'T EAT SOUP WITH A FORK
>FORKS ARE USELESS AND GAY
>BACK TO /r/botnetcutlerycuckolds SHILLS
>REEEEEEEEEEEE
>>
>>58111173
>>58111171
How much storage depends entirely on the model, but if yours doesn't have enough then you can use a USB (I think all Chromebooks have at least 1 usb 3.0 port).

>you can't really seem to work offline.

What do you need to do offline? You can watch movies, read your mail and edit docs all offline.
>>
>>58111298
you're wasting your time, anon. you know that 'if /g/ designed the iphone' joke image? remember why that image exists.
>>
>>58110991
dis
>>
>>58110983
Chrome OS was great font rendering, I'll give it that.
>>
>>58111253
>this is my opinion
>well dude, I have other views on that
>LET ME SPERG OUT AND STRAWMAN THE SHIT OUT OF YOU THIS IS HOW YOU DO ADULT DISCUSSION
grow up
>>
>>58111358
>buy chromebook as consumable momputer
>'chromebooks are worthless because you can't install anime codec packs to watch MKVs downloaded from Russian IRC bots [smugpepe.jpg]'
don't 'tone argument' at me ever again
>>
>>58111429
>don't 'tone argument' at me ever again
fine, I'll tone argument your wife's son then
>>
>>58111048
you super duper can get better hardware for less than $200. nerds on /g/ jerk themselves off over used thinkpads for a reason
>>
>>58111116
Not OP, but does Chrome OS have any worthy text editors? How about compilers? Or is it not suitable for programming at all?
>>
>>58111654
OP here, also interested
>>
>>58111218
They updated it though, in the form of the Chromebook Pixel.
>>
>>58111627
I'd like to see some proof preferably no thinkpads from ebay.
>>
>>58111713
Proof? Like exactly what?

I got my thinkpad x220 (i5 2520m, 4gb ram) for €120,the battery is Meh, but a new one is 50-60 extra and then you have 2.
>>
>>58110983
I like mine a lot. Downsides, you're getting spied on and you can't do more than normal office tasks with it, upsides everything just werks out of the box, all the time, minimalistic os, huge battery life, excellent screen, nice design.

The question is, is that the product you need? If you want to do anything more than the average normie would do, probably not.
>>
>>58111751
he's one of those people who thinks newer parts = better than. not when they're fucking celerons or whatever the hell a rockchip is
>>
>>58111654
>Or is it not suitable for programming at all?
It's a fucking class of netbooks that are popular in education because they're cheap, easily manageable by central IT, and retard kids can't get cryptolockered. What the fuck do you think.
>>
>>58111654
No. The Google Play store is available on some models so there might be something there, though.
>>
>>58111171
>>58111173
>>58111298
>>58111654
>>58111784
>>58111802

it looks like only 2 people here have ever used a chromebook, let alone owned one.

pro tips (aka i know what im talking about):
-works perfectly fine offline. "apps" are installed as extensions in chrome. almost everything that is normally "cloud based" has an offline mode, and there are a shit load of apps that are not at all cloud based and work as expected, regardless of connection.

-the internal eMMC is usually small, but you can use an SD card for bulk storage. much like an android phone where you have "internal storage" and "external storage" but its all the same hardware and one partition is system only. you can download all your music, video, pictures, offline sync for gdocs, whatever and just place them on the SD card.

-as long as you get one with 2+ GB of RAM and an intel chip (dual core), it can do far more than "just office stuff" - it can do the same as a windows machine of better spec because it has lower overhead. ex: no problem doing netflix/etc, no problem doing web games (html5/js), no problem doing programming (plenty of offline "IDEs" with code completion, etc).

-no one seems to know you can install android apps. you can currently use ARC (app runtime for chrome) and unpack an .APK and install it as a chrome "app"/extension. the large majority of apps work this way, and in the near future they have said that they will officially open the android play store to chromeOS.

(1/2)
>>
>>58111948

-if you REALLY need something that is not available through those means, you can chroot a linux IDE in place with chromeOS. the advantage here is that you run linux parallel to chromeOS but the linux chroot uses all the drivers already made available by chromeOS, so you dont have to worry about getting your hardware to function properly - alternatively, you can just format the machine (if it meets the right criteria) and install linux to bare metal.

-so yes, you can write and compile on it. if you are underwhelmed by the options that are available to chromeOS by itself, you can just leverage linux to get what you want.

-while its true that a used thinkpad might have more muscle, taking the other hardware into account i agree that this is the best you can get for the price. - if you get the right model, you can get 12hr battery life, 1080p IPS screen, light, portable, etc. - comparing it to a macbook air is actually pretty accurate.

(2/2)
>>
File: 1472165249202.jpg (140KB, 723x621px) Image search: [Google]
1472165249202.jpg
140KB, 723x621px
I need a user interface for my couch. I would stream all media (music/movies using kodi) and browse the internet on the tv (or it's own screen, obviously).

Would a chromebook be a good solution for this? Also, I am a little unfamilar with chromebooks, but how would I go about getting the display on the tv and the streamed music to my integrated amp wirelessly keeping in mind that quality would be important.

Possible?

Also, please suggest a chromebook if the scenario works that is sleek and not underage faggot looking.

Would a chromebook be good for this?
>>
>>58111969
just get a tablet
>>
File: 1453229566178.jpg (118KB, 960x874px) Image search: [Google]
1453229566178.jpg
118KB, 960x874px
>>58111948
>>58111967
Hero.
>>
>>58111751
>you super duper can get better hardware for less than $200. nerds on /g/ jerk themselves off over used thinkpads for a reason
>claims he has better hardware for a lower price
>doesn't tell us what hardware or where he bought it
>expects us to believe his crap at face value

>>58111798
Are you retarded? Comparing used to new doesn't make sense. Used is always going to be cheaper. Those chromebooks will be significantly cheaper than $200 if you buy them used.
>>
>>58111969
toshiba cb2 is the one i have and if you get the right model it should be able to do all of this. most CBs look pretty slick. just make sure you get one with an intel chip, dual core, and a decent amount of RAM.

the machine has 1/8" audio combo jack and HDMI out.

i couldnt exactly follow what you are trying to accomplish, and i dont know anything about kodi, but im sure you could make it do what you want.

worst case scenario would be using a chroot to run kodi stuff under proper linux (way easier than it sounds).
>>
>>58111985

ok, I have one, but how do I get music to my amp wirelessly and with the best sound quality possible

should i network the amp itself? does that chromecast audio thing do what I want?
>>
File: A very benevolent monarch.jpg (279KB, 1000x667px) Image search: [Google]
A very benevolent monarch.jpg
279KB, 1000x667px
>>58111948
>>58111967
>it doesn't suit my needs, but i bought it and broke it and now it runs the linux i like
ah, the scales have fallen from my eyes
>>
File: 1476110973891.jpg (33KB, 294x350px) Image search: [Google]
1476110973891.jpg
33KB, 294x350px
I have a chromebook with cruton with ubuntu
I can't use unity because its to intense for the cpu to handle so I have to use kde

It's okay if you have linux with it but a chromebook with just chrome os installed is pretty useless for anything other than casual web browsing and streaming video
>>
>>58112037

Yeah, I'd like to be clean and wireless in my living room. Plus that's where the better equipment will be, so I don't want to have semi-expensive shit running a shitty source. If I have to, obviously I'd just go wired like I have now. Thank you though for the posts, good shit.
>>
File: 1480657603071.png (222KB, 390x422px) Image search: [Google]
1480657603071.png
222KB, 390x422px
>>58111948
B-but I really do own an acer chromebook 14. I'm using it right now!

>it can do the same as a windows machine of better spec because it has lower overhead
I can't play fallout 4 on my chromebook! But on my windows laptop I can!

Haha!

:3
>>
>>58112090
>unity is more cpu intensive than kde
wut?
>>
>>58112075
wut?

im just telling people what it can do and trying to dispell the myth of "only office" "only online" - its capable of plenty of things that people just dont know about because the same shit gets repeated over and over by people that have never used one.

>>58112174
lul

p.s. if the game has a linux build, you can play them in a chroot. you get the same access to the hardware. obviously your spec will dictate performance, and you WILL have overhead when running a chroot at the same time as chromeOS.
>>
>>58112203
i'm saying you bought a chromebook and flashed a new OS on it because you didn't like the OS it came with (but bought it anyway).

you're literally an xda retard flashing an android rom, only with a slightly different kind of mobile device.
>>
>>58112177
integrated graphics run off the cpu and unity has more grafics
>>
>>58111041
You'll lose warranty.
The new models all have hardware jumpers to prevent OS tampering.
>>
>>58112031
>expects us to believe his crap at face value
wow you must be super new.

>>58112031
>Comparing used to new doesn't make sense
No one said anything about new until now. thinkpads are a) extremely durable and b) used by buisnisses, no problems with used ones.

>>58111798
the facts are:
new i5/7 > sandy i5/7 = new i5/7 ULV > pentium/celereon/atom > ARM
And ULV chips are now the standard, so CPUs from 2011 are perfectly fine, hey perform as well as ultrabooks.

Newer chips are more effficient though, but that doesnt translate into battery life, mostly translates into thinner fashion devices and savings for the manufacturers.
>>
>>58111627
No, no you can't.
Thinkpads are shit.
>Paying the thinkpad tax
>Getting a shit battery
Battery life is half the reason you buy a chromebook. They have insane battery life with the chrome OS.
>>
>>58112217
wtf are you even talking about.

my CB runs chromeOS. im happy with it and it does what i want.

im just telling OTHER PEOPLE WHO ASKED what a CB can do, which includes the hardware with a different OS.

regardless, not once did i ever tell someone (or claim that i did) to just buy a CB cause its better if you tear it apart and customize it.

do whatever the fuck you want with it. buy one, dont buy one, idgaf. im just answering questions.

i bought mine as a laptop that travels easily and it delivers in spades for me. i dont run a chroot or linux on mine because what i want to use it for doesnt require that.

stay mad.
>>
What's a good ChromeOS flipbook or something that's hybrid-like? Those are fucking niche and nice and would grab one just for jewtubes and anime and a txt teditor as long as I can slip a distro into it or full/dual install a distro.
>>
>>58112280
Lenovo Yoga.
>>
File: 1477421599218.jpg (233KB, 719x685px) Image search: [Google]
1477421599218.jpg
233KB, 719x685px
>>58110983
I've got a Acer C720 running Arch Linux and I love it
>>
File: original[1].jpg (34KB, 590x380px) Image search: [Google]
original[1].jpg
34KB, 590x380px
>>58112274
you are retarded.
>>
Buy a used x220.
>>
>>58112342
Every nigger I've talked to has told me the TP battery life is shit.
Otherwise why do TPG fags even consider buying *may or may not explode* chink shit batteries?
>>
>>58112373
the capacity of a battery that comes with a used thinkpad is usually fairly degraded. 5 years is a long time for any battery
>>
'oh, boy. i'm sure purchasing consumer electronics that are a 4chan board meme is a good, wise, sensible use of my money that i won't regret at all'

a fool and his money are soon parted, yes
>>
>>58112373
Well every nigger is wrong since thinkpads consistently have the best battery life. Maybe you should have looked it up first.

but like anon said batteries degrade unlike the rest of the parts.
>>
File: 1480712855290.jpg (86KB, 1200x907px) Image search: [Google]
1480712855290.jpg
86KB, 1200x907px
>>58112424
"Oh boy, I'm sure the 4chan memeticity of a product is an accurate indicator of its overall performance and capabilities, that will help me decide whether it's good value for my money or not! Surely trying it for myself isn't an option!"

big mouth for a big baka, yesu!
>>
>>58112456
>thinkpads consistently have the best battery life
Actually, thinkpads have a legendarily awful battery life.
>>
>>58112468
ha ha! i know all the funy computer board memes too, lol.
>>
File: knT9nMP[1].png (38KB, 508x286px) Image search: [Google]
knT9nMP[1].png
38KB, 508x286px
>>58112469
now youre just trolling.
>>
>>58112495
No, those figures are wrong.
>>
>>58112510
you do a test then mr. troll
>>
Thinkbooks are bad computers. They're awful and only retards would want one.
>>
>>58112555
so g autismos
>>
>>58111654
There's a text editor called caret that's available as a chrome "app". It's pretty simple, think gedit tier.
You can also get something like chromebrew setup, and install vim, emacs, git, GCC, llvm, ruby, python etc.
But if you wanna use a chromebook as a programming device, install full linux on it, and even then the keyboard is missing essential keys that you'll have to rebind.
Thread posts: 67
Thread images: 13

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.