[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

ROM HDD/SDD/XDD for OS

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 4

File: circuitry.jpg (160KB, 1366x768px) Image search: [Google]
circuitry.jpg
160KB, 1366x768px
Tell me what you think about this:
>computer has rom chip installed (sata or pcie)
>milestone os stored in that rom
>computer boots from os rom
>sets aside some ram for a virtual hard drive
>os loads into ramdrive
>os performs integrity & sanity checks on self
>user may upgrade os running entirely in ram
>os prompts user to opt for or against net-distributed updates if need be
>no matter what bullshit the user gets into, os rom will never be written to or corrupted
>os will always be fresh & pristine at boot time
>user may choose in the future to trade in current os rom for next milestone os rom

Well, what do you think? This would provide literally bulletproof operating systems which are essentially immune to virii* and very quick.

I'm not sure how pricing would work.

>* immune to virii with exceptions including but not limited to that weird bootsector shit and whatnot whereby a virus may hang out in unpowered ram or whatever
>>
>>58109436
literally every computer before 1990
>>
File: 1465419827654.jpg (15KB, 480x451px) Image search: [Google]
1465419827654.jpg
15KB, 480x451px
>>58109436
>XDD

I am not familiar with this ROM
>>
>>58109458
>ah 'membuh
>>58109625
>xdd where "dd" = "disk drive" and "x" stands for any type such as "hard" or "soft" or whatever
>>
>>58109436
Tell me what you think about this:
>Tails
>>
>>58111872
>turn it off
>>
>>58109436
Hopefully your reading from a flash ROM and not optical media, or the speeds would be shit.
>>
>>58111872
>>58111933
>whoops
>read that wrong
>thought you meant something about filesystem journaling and responded with how my systems usually run with -noatime and -notails and whatever other bullshit that isn't really needed disabled so no fucks given
Tails OS breddy kewl.
>>
>>58109436
>virus may hang out in unpowered ram
That's.. Not how ram works..
>>
>>58111965
>optical media
>sure why not
>cd
>entire os is launched by 1mb microos loading & exploding a self-expanding 639mb iso from the same cd into a virtual ramdrive
>time to copy entire system image into ramdrive takes several minutes
>cd ejects when boot completes
>decide waiting forty minutes sucks
>just suspend to ram instead of ever shutting down
>your system takes one second to go from 0 to 100% operational
>your system flies
>you install updates as needed
>you install software as desired
>your system flies
>eventually your system starts to slow down
>virus detection confirms
>whatever.jpeg
>flip power off
>breath in
>breath out
>flip power on
>boot from cd
>...
>you have a fresh system living in ram again
>no virus whatsoever
>install updates & software as applicable
>you're back to 100% in under an hour

I really miss booting from the CD drive.
>>
>>58111982
Believe it or not, simply leaving an unpowered computer plugged in indefinitely may leave certain virii particularly tenacious in their means of propagation lingering in RAM; in fact, onboard battery power from that little wafer battery on your motherboard which keeps time and bios settings is enough to keep particularly-coded virii in your RAM.

http://www.wikihow.com/Remove-a-Boot-Sector-Virus
>>
>>58112144
>Boot-Sector-Virus
This is not RAM but on disk you moron. Ram is volatile and zeroed/scrambled on startup; nothing on there survives a reboot.
>>
>>58112206
Your ignorance astounds me. Do you know one of the methods used by a boot sector virus to survive a complete purge of the hard drive's file allocation table is to copy itself into ram in such a way that it boots itself from ram when the system is rebooted after wiping out the mbr? Yes, the virus survives in ram through the entire reboot cycle, booting itself when it comes on-line, then copying itself into the mbr, re-infecting the formerly-zeroed disk, *then* rebooting yet again normally?

You've never experience that before?

I have. First hand. Careful research verified by the internet community at large bore out what I've just written:

>unplug *everything* from *everything* -- including the removal of all batteries, wafer and otherwise -- after wiping out a boot sector virus by zeroing your drive(s), or else your system will be re-infected by a ramghost.
>>
File: 1476676507032.jpg (61KB, 834x960px) Image search: [Google]
1476676507032.jpg
61KB, 834x960px
>>58109436
>a virus may hang out in unpowered ram or whatever
Maybe in nvRAM but not vRAM, which is wiped when it loses power. Also this is already done for factory/medical equipment and stuff. It's a stupid idea because no one is going to be autistic enough to want to store everything on a flash drive to prevent it from being deleted on a reboot. Also, you need a lot of fucking vRAM if you want to do any kind of real work when loading large files into it. Your idea is so fucking terrible that if it became a reality, I would just give up computers and become a hermit. Fuck off, retard.
>>
>>58112352
No you tard, data stored in ram degrades very quickly if it is not refreshed constantly:
>A study found data remanence in DRAM with data retention of seconds to minutes at room temperature
Just unplug the power cord for 5m and any program on your ram will be totally scrambled or entirely gone.
Viruses can't do shit about the capacitors which store data in RAM discharging.
>>
>>58112352
My guess is that whatever you used to format the drive didn't zero the mbr
>>
>>58112352
The persistence of data in RAM over re-boots was a problem for anti-piracy engineers, too.
Data in RAM was being refreshed as long as power was on and would survive as long as the boot process didn't overwrite it.
The Apple ][ had a startup routine called "BLAST" that wrote to RAM to corrupt anything left there. Even the graphics pages.
>>
File: 11382654.gif (644KB, 512x481px) Image search: [Google]
11382654.gif
644KB, 512x481px
>>58109625
Thread posts: 18
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.