[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Puppy linux

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 3

File: Puppy-Linux-Slacko_1.png (382KB, 1280x1024px) Image search: [Google]
Puppy-Linux-Slacko_1.png
382KB, 1280x1024px
Is this just a proof of concept or an actually useful distro?
>>
File: stoner.png (431KB, 600x545px)
stoner.png
431KB, 600x545px
>>58106811
thank you for cooperating
>>
>>58106800
been using it since 2.00, if you know your shit you can make a really nice pupplet out of it and if you like messing with shit you can use most of the scripts for a custom lfs.
>>
>>58106868
>lfs
Do you mean sfs?
Do you think it worth trying to make a pupplet for android development?
>>
>>58106800
It's a solution looking for a problem
>>
I think it is meant to be used as a live distro.
I use it from time to time as it doesn't take up much disk space, so I might as well have the iso ready for when I need to fix a system or recover data or something like that.
>>
>>58107049
no, custom linux from scratch with less packages and a simplier approach
>>
>>58107049
>pupplet for android development?
Why don't you use any distro?
>>
>>58106800

Install Kevin.
>>
>>58106800
actually useful desu
>>
>>58106800
Have a laptop from the late 90s with 64MB of RAM, and this is probably the only distro I could boot to a desktop. It took an eternity, and could really benefit from some swap space, but it worked.

I guess if you want to run Linux on a toaster, it's worth a shot. Never really used it outside of that use case.
>>
Useful for certain things, like any lightweight distro.

For instance, I use the Windows lxss to run Lubuntu and connect with TightVNC.

Awesome use of a light weight distro like Puppy, Slack, or Lubuntu.

Aside from that, put them in a live usb rigged for permanent storage for a mobile computer.
>>
>>58106800
Really useful. I used it on a 500 MHz PIII with 256mb of RAM in high school and it worked for writing essays and such.
>>
>>58107149
>Portability.
I just need to carry the USB flash drive.
I can install it on a USB flash drive and be able to run my own custom OS, from any hardware that support USB booting.
Without having to modify/install anything on the host OS, and without carrying a laptop with me.

>Security
It's linux running from RAM, whatever malware "maybe" installed on the host it can't infect the flash drive.

>Customization
This maybe a little autistic but I can no longer browse the web without custom scripts/userstyles/addons

>Backup
Simply
dd bs=4M if=/dev/sdb of=/mnt/USBimage.bin/

>Restore point/point of return
This is a little bit specific to puppy.
At each shut down you're asked to save your session, and if you have multiple saves you're asked to choose which one.
These saves file doesn't effect the base system just things that have been added/modified.
So if you screw up just reboot and choose to not save anything and you're back to square one.
Kind of like a write filter.
>>
>>58107082
deep
>>
>>58106800
i am sure you can accomplish many tasks on any of the puppy based distros, SlackO is a slackware based puppy and i think it may be slackware compatible enough that you can install some slackware packages, check to make sure first, and like slackware you may have to resolve your own dependencies
>>
>>58106800
yass
Thread posts: 17
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.