[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Advice

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 1

File: 4a4.gif (1MB, 540x360px) Image search: [Google]
4a4.gif
1MB, 540x360px
So I get a call from my mother saying that she just got off the phone xfinity internet. Apparently she was told she had 66/1000 GB left for this month. She also said that they were going over all sorts of organizations that stomp out internet piracy. And that there will be repercussions or fines if they detect any misuse or infringement.
Needless to say I looked into it and it turns out my younger brother got a new computer for Christmas and was re downloading all of his steam games.
I'm actually really pissed and have half a mind to tell them off so this doesn't happen again. My mother was extremely confused and distraught over the phone. Would I be in the right? Can they send ultimatums without any evidence just to intimidate costumers in to policing their data usage? I feel like this shit is specifically targeting uneducated subscribers so that they ignorantly crack down on other people overusing data.
My brother who is also computer illiterate (cannot differentiate between a cpu and a gpu let alone figure out torrenting) got in a shit load of trouble and was told that if they were fined she was going to return the computer.
>>
They have a rule set in place, wether the people are computer literate or not it still has to be followed

That being said data caps are bullshit
>>
>>58094345
>Apparently she was told she had 66/1000 GB left for this month.

HAHAHA! American problems

*downloads 1 TB in 3 hours with my $20 per month internet and just deletes it for the heck of it"*
>>
>>58094376
I'm saying that instead of a notification of low data, like cell data plans, they went out of their way to call my mother and "educate" her that high data usage is suspicious for torrenting. It's like if someone is monitoring how often you fill up your car. If they see you get gas often they confront you and inform you that street racing or speeding is illegal without anything else to go by. Now imagine they badger a 60 year old woman about this.
>>
>>58094532
I dunno man, the isp could clearly see if it was steam or not. Your brother might be a retard, but retards can easily click a torrent download
>>
>>58094345
>go directly to the pantyhose and fluffy hair

Those kids got their priorities right
>>
>>58094584
Naw. I'm 100% he doesn't. he might use those megaupload esk sites but other than that...
>>
Why can't your brother just transfer the files over to the new HDD and recheck them in steam afterwards?

Saves bandwidth and is way faster.
>>
>>58094927
" A HDD? Is that like the GPU... It has something to do with the monitor right? I know that is where all the games are, but the games won't follow even if I leave the monitor plugged in and turned on and move the HDD cable very carefully... It still don't transfer to the new computer."
>>
>>58094416
Not all Americans have this problem but it seems to be growing out of hand.
I'd still rather have guns than uncapped data though.
>>
>>58095162
>I'd still rather have guns than uncapped data though.

Most of the world have tons of guns AND uncapped data.
>>
>>58095230
Nah, they don't have the wide array of guns since their regulations are so limited
>>
>>58095368
Sure... I only have shotguns and rifles, we need to join a shooting club to get pistols. So easier for Americans.

But you can still have one trigger for each finger. Don't need more than 10 guns at once. Anything more is excessive.
>>
>>58094532
>>58094345
The way you told the story makes me think they bullied her over the phone, and if you say that in front of a judge, they'll feel the same way, assuming what he hears from them doesn't dispel that feeling. So, your task is to find out whether you brother downloaded anything he shouldn't have, whether your mother's contract gives them any leeway in calling people like that, and finding out if your brother (or mother) torrents. Find out for certain. Don't ask your brother or mother, because they might actually go and torrent.

>Can they send ultimatums without any evidence just to intimidate costumers in to policing their data usage?
Only if they told you before you created a contract, or it was implied by it. You can easily handwaive this in court, if they say they were doing it to be helpful or something, you simply say
>We paid for 1000 GB, so we planned to use 1000GB.
And really, they have no reason to tell you when you're nearing the limit, because they (usually) can charge more for anything excess, and they can definitely just disconnect you when you reach the limit. The court would ask why they created a hassle when it was against their interests or a pointless action to take.

They shouldn't being giving her a hard time when she's got plenty of data of left and the household was using what they were entitled to in contract.

>but can you get damages for feefees and harrassment
It's no laughing matter, being harrassed over the phone. You can pull this off in a British court, easily, so you should be able to in the US. You won't get much, a few hundred, perhaps, maybe a thousand, but if I were you I'd consult with my yank counterpart first. Don't pay to meet them either, get a free meeting or don't do it.

Also sage, this isn't technology, it's contract law.
Thread posts: 14
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.