[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/xfce/ thread

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 2

File: korora-xfce-desktop-apps.jpg (180KB, 1366x768px) Image search: [Google]
korora-xfce-desktop-apps.jpg
180KB, 1366x768px
Is it dead? New release is years overdue :'(
>>
>>58077639
I don't see the insistence on updates of software that does its job.

>MPC dead, no commits for years. Muh updates.
But it works doesn't it?

Also, these projects are open source. If you want updates make them.
>>
There was one a few months ago, it only has like one dev on the project
>>
>>58077639
They've left it to rot because they know how shit it is
>>
>>58077711
Yeah, I feel the same way. I always wonder that too about programs that get updates pushed to them on a semi-frequent basis. I'm sure someone on /g/ will come and tell me exactly why this is important, but every time something like VLC or HexChat says an update is ready, I don't get it because for the life of me I can't imagine the chances that I'd actually notice / need the update.
>>
>>58077639
https://git.xfce.org/

Looks more active than a dead project....
>>
don't need to fix perfection
>>
>>58077748
I'm on your side with the whole no need for too many updates thing. The only argument I would say though are security patches. No software is written 100% secure and it is the responsibility of the devs to keep their software safe to use.
>>
xfce is shit I don't understand why /g/ defends it. Ugly, outdated, clunky trash.
>>
>GTK
>X.org dependent
Discarded.
>>
>>58077969
It's in dire need of hiDPI support though. It sucks because it's superior in every other way to Cinnamon.
>>
>>58077711
It's because code goes bad after a few months/years
>>
>>58077711
> I don't see the insistence on updates of software that does its job.

The problem is when new things come along that would be nice to have support for. For example, my old system didn't recognize ultra-large SD cards (which can't use FAT32), and it didn't support the new file-sharing standard between mobile devices via USB (MTP) because those standards didn't exist yet when my old system was released. When I tried to install the new kernel drivers for exFAT, the GUI file manager started complaining about "permission" problems when it attempted to access exFAT SD cards. Obviously exFAT introduced some new issue in the filesystem API, which my old GUI file manager didn't know about.

After a few years of that, you end up with a Frankenstein's monster combination of old software plus incrementally-upgraded drivers, and you realize that you have a configuration that nobody has tested, and nobody particularly cares about supporting. As the problems mount up, at some point you just need to say "fuck it" and grab everything fresh so you know it will all work together.

With XFCE, there's nothing fresh to grab -- the freshest version is 21 months old. As of today, that might be new enough for some people. But as the years progress, it will be increasingly viewed as a dead-end, un-upgradable desktop, which will discourage new adoption -- resulting in a long, slow decline that has no endpoint other than zero.
>>
File: 130943-Naftalina-Em-Bolas-50g.jpg (234KB, 600x600px) Image search: [Google]
130943-Naftalina-Em-Bolas-50g.jpg
234KB, 600x600px
>>58077639
>Greybird
>ADP
So much vintage here...
>>
>>58078866
This
Thread posts: 15
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.