[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/hsg/

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 9
Thread images: 4

File: 1473216804660.jpg (337KB, 1080x1442px) Image search: [Google]
1473216804660.jpg
337KB, 1080x1442px
Home Server General

Hardware / OS / Storage / Network / Internet discussion thread.
>>
File: x3iex5[1].jpg (36KB, 640x427px) Image search: [Google]
x3iex5[1].jpg
36KB, 640x427px
I'll start things off, I just bought this microsever N36L to replace my soapbox Dlink NAS.

What is a lightweight decent nas os, I was thinking freenas?

It has a slow cpu and 2gb ram, that I might upgrade. I wont be doing plex encoding or anything like that, but torrenting will be nice.
>>
>>58075168
Oh neat, I might ask here about my plan for my home server then:

I want to make a home server that acts both as a router/firewall and little NAS (not heavy duty one, just want to move some hard drives off my desktop).
I was thinking putting my current router into Bridged mode and using the home server to establish and share a PPPoE connection (and handle NAT, DHCP etc).

My current plan is to get a board with a passively cooled Celeron (like an ASRock Q1900-ITX) and put FreeBSD on it. I already have experience with bare FreeBSD, ZFS and pf (my dedicated server uses it) so I think I'd be fine without the web GUIs used in FreeNAS and pfSense.

Is there any pitfall I might fall into or something that I should just outright avoid that you guys are already familiar with?
>>
File: 20161219_133246.jpg (526KB, 2048x1152px) Image search: [Google]
20161219_133246.jpg
526KB, 2048x1152px
r8 my setup
>>
>>58075197
Do you really need a NAS with an optical drive?
OpenMediaVault I've heard is pretty good if you don't care much for ZFS and FreeBSD.
>>
File: smartos-stacked-blue.png (24KB, 900x900px) Image search: [Google]
smartos-stacked-blue.png
24KB, 900x900px
>>58075656
Since routing(incl. fw, nat, vpn etc) is dildos on bare systems(esp linux), you would be best building a VM server.

Best choice for router OS is VyOS. Obviously you want ZFS for the NAS part so anything but linux will work. One idea is to use SmartOS, it's a container based hypervisor with KVM support. You boot it from a USB, every drive in the system can then be used in the ZFS pool, you can then assign storage to each VM, one would be KVM based and boot vyos with privileged access to an interface for routing(router on a stick config), the other being a container running sambad and the like to expose your storage.

You retain all the advantages of ZFS, without loosing the ability to run arbitrary software.
>>
>>58075717
No drive, but it has a sata cable for a 5th drive if I need it.
>>
Are any fags running zfs on non ecc systems?
I need to know if it is really that unsafe to run zfs on no ecc systems...
>>
>>58075857
I have experience running DHCP, NAT and firewalling in FreeBSD due to how I manage VMs and jails in my dedicated server (using pf and dnsmasq) so software would probably be the least problem for me.

Neat advice on using SmartOS though, I love Solaris' network tools (although illumos has stayed quite behind) so I might give that one a try if I find FreeBSD to be too cumbersome for me.

My worries are mostly on the hardware side, like if the a Celeron J1900 would be enough for running as Router/NAS, or if I really need two gigabit ethernet ports (and thus an external card with a port dedicated for the router) or if a single gigabit port could be fine for talking to both router and internal network (with a switch in the middle)
Thread posts: 9
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.