[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Quiet HDD as backup drive

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 2

File: 41903UfFHBL.jpg (28KB, 337x500px) Image search: [Google]
41903UfFHBL.jpg
28KB, 337x500px
I've finished collecting all my new PC components, all I want know is an HDD as a backup beside my SSD, it has to be quiet and reliable.

After doing some research, it looks like the Western Digital RED NAS drives are my best option, they run at 5400RPM which means they are quiet, have low heat emission, and medium vibration protection, which is perfect for my purposes (Source: https://www.pugetsystems.com/labs/articles/Understanding-the-WD-Rainbow-674/)

The only thing is that, the only drive of this type that has 128mb cache is the 8TB version, but 8TB seems a little too much for me when I could be saving 200€ by buying a 3TB drive instead.

Should I give a crap about cache? I doubt I'm going to notice a huge difference, right?

pic related
>>
The rest of the drives have 64mb cache btw
>>
>>58075023
I have a wd red
It's NOT quiet at all, you can hear it if it's doing anything
>>
>>58075096
It's one of the quietest drives available though, how could this be?

Are you sure you don't have the Red "PRO" which is 7200 rpm?
>>
Dont worry about cache if its just for a backup, save your money and get two blue or greens if they are not going to be on 24/7.

Google 3-2-1 backup for more info
>>
>>58075133
No, just checked crystal disk info, it's 5400 RPM
>>
>>58075157
Well shit, I can't find a quieter drive so I have to go with the WD RED.. It should be off most of the time so I guess it's ok

>>58075138
I'd rather go for more quality drives, Blue and Green seem to be for poorfags :)
>>
You only need reds if you have a hardware RAID array controller that requires TLER.

No raid, Linux software raid, ZFS and BTRFS all should work fine with blues
>>
>>58075183
I've tried all of them to be honest except for the new violet ones, the black is of course the loudest but Blues seems to be quietest so far.
>>
>>58075023
>HDD as a backup
Good idea, just make sure you have anything worth making backups. Rare pepes aren't worth much these days you know.
>quiet
When you don't write/read from your HDD for some time, it shuts itself off: so no sound whatsoever. You can set this even in windows.
>reliable
Buy two HDDs. When one dies, you still have another.

>8TB seems a little too much
It is like saying:
I have too much money.
My girlfriend is too sexy.
I am too much healthy.

There is no such thing like too much space to save rare pepes.
Every time I buy new HDD, I want at least double space. My last crap notebook had 500GB, my PC now has 2x1TB. You know the 4K torrented movies will be BIG.

>go buy blue
You don't need pay more for expensive colors if all you want is to hoard data.
>>
>>58075023
Currently using WD Red. it builds up heat up to 40C but its fine. It' s quiet in my opinion, probably because I had louder ambient noise so I can't audibly hear the hard drive.
>>
>>58075467
>go buy blue
>You don't need pay more for expensive colors if all you want is to hoard data.

I was choosing between WD Red and WD Blue. I tend to pick WD Red because of Unload/load cycles and MTBF of 1,000,000 hours. Hope its worth it. My experience >>58076860
>>
>>58075023
You do not want these in a non raid/nas environment, error correction is disabled on red drives.
Thread posts: 13
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.