[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

>you fell for the linux meme Holy shit that was the biggest

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 3

File: angry_pepe.jpg (65KB, 900x900px) Image search: [Google]
angry_pepe.jpg
65KB, 900x900px
>you fell for the linux meme

Holy shit that was the biggest waste of time. Never again.
>>
>>58074281
Why was it waste of time for you?
>>
File: 1480913748091.png (367KB, 529x684px) Image search: [Google]
1480913748091.png
367KB, 529x684px
>tfw you're born with a sub 90 IQ

holy shit I better just kill myself senpai god fucking Jesus Christ desu. baka
>>
>>58074281
There are routers with BSD.
You're welcome.
>>
>drivers don't work
>internet doesn't work
>android devices don't get detected
>file system is buggy
>apps don't work (Parole Media player just doesn't start up anymore for no reason)
>buttons on wacom aren't configurable
>have to go into console to change mouse sensitivity and turn off mouse acceleration every startup
>half the apps you download don't even have a executable, it just gives you a zip with a bunch of files that don't do anything
>poor help support on the internet, in fact many run into the same problems unresolved

I like the IDEA of ubuntu, I like how clean the interface is but. Fuck it, never again. Where are the install wizards? I can't just run a program after downloading it ez pz? I'm just going to stick to windows where everything JUST WORKS.
>>
>>58074371
Drives world most of the time out of the box, which is IMO an improvement over Windows where you need to install everything. But it can be somewhat complicated if something doesn't work.

And most of the other complaints are issued the as the I've never encountered with Ubuntu. There's MTP support, internet worked and so on.

Also, you should install programs through software market or whatever it's called on Ubuntu, not by downloading stuff from websites.

I'd recommend you do a little reading before jumping into Linux. Not everything is the same as with Windows and the point isn't that everything works the same.

Why things don't "just work" for you is because you're familiar with Windows and try to do things exactly like on Windows. It'd be kinda like going to Finland and expecting things to work like in the US. That just isn't the case.
>>
>>58074462
Windows 10 will install most of the drivers (if not all of them), if you are using 2013y+ hardware then this will work for sure.
meanwhile i can't connect my DAC to ubuntu because it works for 10-20 sec and then crash all my usb hubs, still haven't found a solution for this, and i agree with OP on most of his statements like
>have to go into console to change mouse sensitivity and turn off mouse acceleration every startup
you can write script into autorun file or how its properly called?
but cmon? so much trouble just to turn off acceleration?
>>
File: picture_related.jpg (953KB, 3418x1080px) Image search: [Google]
picture_related.jpg
953KB, 3418x1080px
>>58074462
>Also, you should install programs through software market or whatever it's called on Ubuntu, not by downloading stuff from websites.
I'd love to do that but even the internet doesn't work in linux. So It's very hard to find versions of VLC and other programs that are already compiled and zipped for the end user, so that I can just transfer it to my internet-less machine and run it. Really infuriating.
>>
>>58074281
dumb frogposter
>>
>>58074568
That's definitely a problem. I think the first priority should be to get internet working. Most of the time it just works out of the box. Could you provide some information? I'm sure there's people here who are able to help with that.

>>58074564
Most DEs have GUI for mouse settings, to change it persistently. You could also install LXinput to change it, it for some reason you don't have a GUI for it. Though I think Ubuntu definitely had a setting for this, so there shouldn't be need for using the command line for it.
>>
Should have followed the path of Linux rather than just trying it out. You start with Ubuntu, but that's bloated and ugly af. You then go to arch because you have no fucking idea what you're doing. On arch you start reading the wiki, and start to understand how the system is layed out with a precompiled kernel. Then you go to gentoo, because you actually realize what you are doing, the wiki is amazing, you learn how to Linux from the bottom up. Then you realize how slow and clunky having to compile everything feels, and depending on whether or not you can stand SystemD bloat, you go to Debian or some obscure openrc distro you feel comfertable in, and make something great.

In the end you have a system that does whatever you need it to do and looks however you want it to; it has just the features you need and none that you don't.
>>
>>58074605
I connect to the internet with Android tethering on windows, but it won't detect the connection in linux and drivers simply don't exist for it.

>>58074645
Nope, I am done
>>
>>58074605
can you provide any thought or solution why my DAC (Audioengine d1) can't work properly? I might start using it again but i wasted so much time into nothing trying to solve this.
everything works fine until i start listening something, then after 10-20 sec i hear fucking screamer for a sec and all my USB hubs are crashed, system itself is still running since my ps2 keyboard is working.
>>
Nah, you're all a bunch of faggots.

You don't start with a distro, you start with a router, then maybe a smartphone.

That is the initialisation order of a Linux based UNIX environment.
>>
>>58074686
Android tethering is certainly doable, I managed to get it work through terminal using wpa_supplicant, but it was a bit of a hassle. Now using Budgie (GNOME) and NetworkManager, it seems to work straight out of the box. Though I'm not sure if I've done something previously to make it work. You could check Arch wiki on the issue, but other than that I'm unfortunately of much help.

>>58074701
I can't, unfortunately. I haven't worked with any DACs, so they're entirely unfamiliar to me.

The great thing about Linux is most stuff just work out of the box, without you having to do much of anything (installing drivers etc), but the bad part is that when something doesn't work it can be a huge hassle to get it work, involving extensive use of terminal commands and whatnot.
>>
>>58074281
eh, not really. I don't regret it.
>>
>>58074371
its the same on windows if you want perfect 1:1 acceleration, you basically have to "install" a single registry key. On linux (on ubuntu) you just make an
/usr/share/X11/xorg.conf.d/50-mouse-accel.conf
file containing
Section "InputClass"
Identifier "My Mouse"
MatchIsPointer "yes"
Option "AccelerationProfile" "-1"
Option "AccelerationScheme" "none"
Option "AccelSpeed" "-1"
EndSection

if you use evdev input driver, which is the default on ubuntu.
What this does is apply all the required "no acceleration" options in the evdev input driver to any connected input devices that are marked as "pointer" devices at an x session start and after a device is connected.
Its not that hard and you do it once for every device. And if you want it only for a single device you can just change the "identifier" option to match your desired input device name.
Its also the first anwser that appears if you search for "linux acceleration" , but adjusted to match the ubuntu xorg config files default location :
http://letmegooglethat.com/?q=linux+acceleration
>>
>>58074371
>>58077042
also i forgot to add that the linux wacom drivers are basically perfect and lest crash prone than their windows counterparts. Wacom drivers on linux were one of the main reasons i started using linux at all.
Xsetwacom is also an amazing tool that lets you not only set the keys (contrary to what you stated) but also allow you to
change the number of filtered points for more smoothness,
trim the number of samples,
turn on/off buttons, gestures,
change the pressure threshold for both eraser and the tip,
calibrate shit,
bind to different autputs
and change the activation proximity at which the pen acts as a cursor.

Only downside is having to write your own bash script that will change those after you plug it in, since the mouse accel way of setting it up wont work. And i can agree that it's really annoying, but it always works contrary to windows drivers that have 50% chance to not work on boot since windows vista.
Thread posts: 18
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.