[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Preserving Old Journals, Keeping Info Private

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 2

File: image.jpg (29KB, 600x577px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
29KB, 600x577px
I am soon to depart on a trip where I'll be gone for an extended amount of time. I don't have many possessions I give a shit about besides my journals, and right now there's a suitcase filled with about 20 of them.

Before I go, I need to preserve the journals and then burn the physical copies because if anybody saw these, I'd kill myself.

What is going to be the best way to do this? Digitizing comes to mind, but the thought of the data leaking or getting hacked terrifies me. The two options within the digitization possibility that have occurred to me are either taking pictures of each page or typing each journal up into its own text file.

Which is going to be the better of these options? How do I do this with utterly no risk of the information falling into the hands of someone besides myself? Storing the information on a server seems out of the question, but maybe I'm wrong. Maybe my only option is a flash drive with a password on it that I take with me and a duplicate that I leave in a safety deposit box with a password on it.

Any advice is greatly appreciated.
>>
My first though is to partition my computer, install another Linux distribution, disconnect entirely from the Internet, and to type everything up in text files, store them on a flash drive, and then to delete all the files off the Linux distro and then wiping that partition.
>>
digitize, then gpg. done.
>>
>>58071222
Gpg on a flash drive?
>>
>I'd kill myself

pedo
>>
>>58070774
Instead of typing it up, you could scan it. Ultimately, you want people to actually read it. Preserving your handwriting will give them more to study.
>>
File: daneelec.jpg (6KB, 300x300px) Image search: [Google]
daneelec.jpg
6KB, 300x300px
Put the documents on an encrypted Dane-Elec USB drive and stick it up your ass.
>>
B u m p
>>
>>58071610
/thread
>>
>>58073655
Lol what?
>>
>>58074103
oh, fuck, I clicked the wrong post

I wanted to thread >>58071649
>>
boot up tails, keep the machine offline, scan everything, encrypt the scans and place them onto a dvd/flash drive/whatever
>>
>>58070733
Stop being atrach to your journal and burn them?
>>
If you'd really kill yourself if a third party would read them then you probably should just destroy them.
>>
>>58070733
However you decide to digitize the information, you do need to encrypt it and make multiple backups.
You could rewrite them as text, one-time pad them with each other and encrypt the last key one somehow else.
But there is no trusting one digital copy of your texts. Any storage medium may fail, so you do want to make backups if you really want to keep them around. Especially if your trip will last multiple years.
If you're planning on carrying the storage with you wherever you go, prepare a fake container that you can decrypt on case law enforcement notices it and asks to provide a password.
If you're going to stash it somewhere for when you're away, pick a dry space with minimally fluctuating room temperatures.
You can also upload your things to some darknets like freenet, but trusting such a network to take care of your things is kind of risky.

And finally, if it leaks and you need to die, I want you to share your writings with the world before you go. Share yourself, to make sure that it stays available to everyone, not just law enforcement.
However horrible it might be, I wouldn't desire any piece of information to disappear like that.
>>
>>58070733

Digitize Journals.

If it's text only, type it.
If there are scribbles/doodles/diagrams/similar, scan them.

For above work, purchase a PC from any vendor online. The older, the better. Something like an old Windows XP Pentium M Toshiba POS is perfect. Install the tin-foil hat build of linux of your choice. Digitize your journals in the way you choose. Use the most obscure and out-of-the-way method to store the information, and store it that way only. Compact Flash, PC Card, Super Disk, 1.8" ZIF drive, on a Rockbox'd iPod Video, some way in which someone would have to go out of their way to read or view the files on them. Create several "fakes" to mask your journals. If you do them in text files, pad the real journals with fake files containing novels. If images, replace the thumbnails, and store several dozen/hundred random flickr images of somebody's holiday. Label all discs/drives/files/folders/etc As "Books to read" or "Tahiti 2014" or something similar and innocuous. Naturally, you password protect these files, all of them, with whatever software or method you like. You store them in a safety deposit box here, and have copies with you if you'd rather, with no way to read them. Destroy laptop after use.

To anybody who sees a bunch of ZIP discs labeled "Vacay to Grand Canyon", they're going to pass up the stack of 6 after the first 2 don't have any nudes on them. If someone goes through the effort to crack the password on a PC Card that just has "Books to read" and a dozen text files like "Lord of the Rings Trilogy", "Queen of the Damned", "Hitchhiker's guide to the Galaxy", and "starship Troopers" that, for the first 100 pages or so, are just that, they're going to get real bored, real quick and figure it was some dude's way to read books on the road on his old laptop.
>>
>>58070733
You digitize them in addition to keeping the physical copies in a Pelican case with patrician tier locks

http://www.pelican.com/us/en/products/cases/
http://united-locksmith.net/blog/9-best-padlocks-of-all-time
Thread posts: 17
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.