[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/fglt/ - Friendly GNU/Linux Thread

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 341
Thread images: 45

File: 1465610658673.jpg (774KB, 2048x1536px) Image search: [Google]
1465610658673.jpg
774KB, 2048x1536px
Previously: >>58051363

Welcome to /fglt/ - Friendly GNU/Linux Thread.
Users of all levels are welcome to ask questions about GNU/Linux and share their experiences.

*** Please be civil, notice the "Friendly" in every Friendly GNU/Linux Thread. ***

Before asking for help, please check our list of resources[*].

If you would like to try out GNU/Linux you can do one of the following:
0) Install a GNU/Linux distribution of your choice in a Virtual Machine.
1) Use a live image and to boot directly into the GNU/Linux distribution without installing anything.
2) Dual boot the GNU/Linux distribution of your choice along with Windows or Mac.
3) Go balls deep and replace everything with GNU/Linux.

* Resources:
$ man <insert command here>
$ info <insert command here>
$ help <insert command here>

Your friendly neighborhood search engine:
Try to use a search engine that respects your privacy such as qwant, searx, ixquick or startpage.

Check the Wikis (Most troubleshoots work for all distros.)
https://wiki.archlinux.org
https://wiki.gentoo.org

What distro should you choose?
https://wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Babbies_First_Linux

Break out of the botnet:
https://prism-break.org/en/categories/gnu-linux/

Learn more about Free Software:
https://www.gnu.org

Try GNU GuixSD:
https://www.gnu.org/software/guix/

/fglt/'s website:
http://fglt.nl/

/fglt/'s copypasta collection:
https://p.teknik.io/oJR7K

/t/'s GNU/Linux Games:
>>>/t/707928

/t/'s GNU/Linux Training Videos:
>>>/t/713097

/wg/'s GNU/Linux Wallpapers:
Part III: >>>/wg/6785580
Part II: https://archive.nyafuu.org/wg/thread/6767536/
Part I: https://archive.nyafuu.org/wg/thread/6743571/
>>
first for Linux
>>
>>58068183
im using Ubuntu Mate at the moment, but im reading a lot of stuff against systemd, should i switch to another init system?
>>
Question about fonts-
if I invoke st, I can specify a font with a string like
"Liberation Mono:size=12:autohint=true"
Something like this goes in config.h too.
What otherh options are valid for this kind of thing? Where would I go and find out?
For example, if I want to invoke a font with a certain stroke weight, or as italic, what do I add?
>>
>>58068347
style:bold, style:regular, etc for ex
>>
How does this make you feel?

https://cytu.
be/r/v_watches
>>
Is there something like Webm for Retards on Linux or am I going to have to get my hands dirty with ffmpeg? All I want to do is post music on /wsg/.
>>
>>58068376
where would I find a complete guide to this sorta formatting, though?
In my case, I Just had to figure out that to get the japanese variant is lang=ja
>>
File: out.webm (102KB, 500x333px) Image search: [Google]
out.webm
102KB, 500x333px
>>58068384
ffmpeg is actually easy.

it's basically:
ffmpeg -i input.whatever output.webm

then you customize it further

usefull switches:

-c:v libvpx to have to correct codec
-crf 4 to se the quality (constant rate factor) lower values = higher quality
-b:v 4M to set the bitrate
-an to disable audio for cucked boards like /g/
-metadata title='the game' to add a title
to cut something:
-ss 0:01.00 to set the start
-t 0:05 to set the time

when you got comfy with this shit, you don't want to use anything else, have fun

webm related, it's my bitch
ffmpeg -i erotic_stallman.gif -metadata title='your a fagget' -c:v libvpx -b:v 500k out.webm
>>
I read a few years ago there are potential security risks to installing GTK themes. Is that true or was that false?
>>
>>58068726
carelessly running people's install scripts for the themes can.
but i'd expect that to only catch ubuntu users
>>
>Tried ubuntu 16.10
> Haskell tasty testing framework doesnt work
> ok 16.04 then
> wifi indicator permanently shows mobile connection Icon
> wat
> linux mint it is then
> Bluetooth keeps on disconnecting
> XScreensaver is annoying
> Notebook crashes and I need to point it to a new superblock
> Whyyy
What linux should i try next ;__;
>>
>>58068884
arch
and use cli only
no stupid gui shit, only web browser is allowed
>>
>>58068945
i running arch btw
>>
>>58068603
Okay I was able to make a music webm with the cover art included, thanks anon
>>
>>58068945
I will look into it, but i do like Desktop enviroments
>>
>>58069018
You should try Debian. Works like a charm for me.
>>
>>58069018
no, try tiling window managers
try to be as minimal as possible
do you really need a portion of your screen to be pixelated by stupid shit such as taskbars and the clock?
>>
>>58069061its neat to have a clock and a few Buttons to click on
>>
>>58068884
>>
>>58069061
It's too bad that rtorrent is shit compared to transmission. I wish transmission_cli had an ncurses option.
>>
>>58069100
Hes pretending to be a retarded asshole because arch devs fucked his mother and hung all his pets. Just ignore him.
Theres something to be said for ditching the taskbar but mainly on laptops, when you dont have an optical mouse.
>>
Is Arch is a meme a meme or is Arch a meme?
>>
>>58069100
whats only necessary is the clock and battery, which I have a keybinding for

every program I use frequently is keybinded
my desktop is literally my wallpaper
>>
>>58069123
rtorrent is only bad in gui, but it has god-tier options
>>
>>58069186
rtorrent is ass, it freezes after a while, whatever causes it
>>
File: milhouse_smiling.gif (10KB, 340x374px) Image search: [Google]
milhouse_smiling.gif
10KB, 340x374px
>>58069171
>>
>>58069171
Arch is a meme aswell as Arch is a meme is a meme.
>>
If I love memes will I love Arch?
>>
>>58069200
libtorrent is shit. Most linux torrent clients use it and they're all ass. Except transmission.
>>
>>58069235
Milhouse is not a meme.
>>
Is wmutils the ultimative tiling wm zen?
>>
>>58069420
bspwm
>>
>>58069420
>>58069437
>using a wm
>not using tty
noobs
>>
>>58069420
xmonad
>>
>>58069446
why would I use a tty, anon? Thats not practical. I think you're the real n00b here :(
>>
File: What OS.jpg (302KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
What OS.jpg
302KB, 1920x1080px
>>58068183

Hey there /fglt/,

I just finished building a new desktop PC, and now it needs an OS.

I promised myself with my next computer I would get away from using Windows as my primary OS, so I need to choose a linux distro.

To be entirely honest, besides general daily computing and shitposting, I mostly use my PC for gaming. I would like to get set up so that I can play any games that wont run on linux in a VM (Star Citizen, for example).

What distros would be best for this?
>>
Does GRUB recognize freebsd slices? anyone have experience dualbooting ganoo+linoox / freebsd?
>>
>>58069561
Ubuntu.
>>
>>58069561
I dont think a PCI passthrough depends very much on your distro.
Im pretty sure it requires two graphics cards though, IE, your normal OS cant use the one the VM is using.
Valve reccomends ubuntu for steam. Its a very popular distro and its easy for people not familiar with linux yet.
>>
>>58069561

And by run games in a VM, I just mean do whatever it is I need to do to be able to play games on Linux that I would not otherwise be able to. I've never fucked with VMs before, so I apologize if I come off retarded.

Would WINE be the appropriate tool?
>>
>>58069561
>dat nade
>>
>>58069615

Well I have a GTX 1080, which is what I would be wanting to pass through, meanwhile my normal OS should be able to use the integrated onboard gfx right?
>>
>>58069615
I have still no idea why it recommends Ubuntu. Aren't all distros literally the same?
>>
>>58069619
WINE is a good tool, considering what it is and how much you pay for it, i think it is great. however, not perfect. some games you can really expect to spend hours trying to figure out how to run, and you might not even get it to run then. you can make a forums post that might not go anywhere and might even be waiting days or weeks (or never) to play a game. ive never tried to play videogames in a virtualmachine with windows but i think it would be better in the end. however linux through WINE also occasionally runs games better too (windows has been dropping support for older games, star wars tie fighter wouldn't run in windows 7 last i tried for example, and then you get more options too like being able to run games like starcraft in a window at any size with cursor locked within if you emulate a desktop)

as for full 3d games, i get great performance with opensource amd drivers/closed source nvidia drivers, but while i could control the fan on windows with speedfan and make it run more appropriately to keep temperatures down, linux wont let me control it at all, so playing games like stalker in WINE will overheat my fucking shit because linux autists actually want the fan to run quieter and don't give one shit about it actually overheating. also ive not tried playing any really new games either, star citizen might not work but you can check winehq
https://appdb.winehq.org/objectManager.php?sClass=application&iId=15475
(OH LOOK, GARBAGE)

ive been playing games on linux and it works, i recommend linux mint as it is very easy to use and looks great. but windows is still the ultimate option for videogames unfortunately
>>
>>58069652
not necessarily. the way packages are handled, difficult to replace shit like system utilities and init systems, software bundled for your computer (libraries other programs depend on), packages for shit like drivers, all this crap distinguish different distributions. you can use steam on anything, but ubuntu has the most users and therefore the most support if something goes wrong

steam os is also another option
>>
>>58069831

Thanks for the information. That's a pain about the fans, but I'm using a bay mounted controller to run my fans and pump so fortunately I shouldn't have to deal with that.

I think at this point I'm leaning Kubuntu + VM / WINE depending on application.
>>
>>58069914
All this still doesn't explain why Ubuntu is "better" for gaming.
>>
>>58069953
i guess it's just some canonical/valve marketing shit
>>
File: 1464359007921.jpg (19KB, 500x327px) Image search: [Google]
1464359007921.jpg
19KB, 500x327px
>>58069831
What happens if I run a virus through Wine?
>>
Will debian run well on an old MBP? Looking for an alternative to Ubuntu because it looks like shit
>>
>>58069987
bad juju
>>
>>58069953
more users is more support, you would get officially supported packages from hardware manufacturers such as drivers (many distributions wont even let you download proprietary anything which requires even more steps to setup), ease of use (preinstalled libraries, so you wont have to find out you don't have them installed and track them down), and so on. for example, in arch linux, to run steam you need to remove a fuckload of libraries steam comes with, install 32bit versions of all the libraries it needs (which requires enabling 32bit repos), and finally it will open with fucked up fonts, whereas in ubuntu it would open after installation

kubuntu for example is still ubuntu though, same repositories
>>
>>58069987
its not a sandbox, it can still harm your system
>>
What's better for grandma, Ubuntu, Ubuntu Mate, Ubuntu Gnome, Kubuntu, Linux Mint? Anything else?
>>
>>58069987
Malawares usually don't use the more conventional windows ABI and API, IF it works, it can't damage anything outside your home directory.
Just create a new user to test and you should be safe.
>>
>>58070113
Mate, Kde or Cinammon should be fine.

Unity and Gnome are >JUST
>>
>>58069561
>I would like to get set up so that I can play any games that wont run on linux in a VM
PCI/GPU passthrough works on pretty much every single distro out there. The procedure is pretty much alike on everything except initramfs which can be different (debian based uses initramfs-tools, Fedora uses Dracut and Arch uses mkinitcpio) though that's not very important.

I'd say either Debian based distros, Fedora/OpenSUSE or Arch/Manjaro/Antergos. Arch has crazy amounts of documentation which makes it easier. Ubuntu as well, and the VFIO people are Red Hat members who use Fedora. So go ahead and pick something.

I'd sincerely recommend a distro that has a kernel at 4.4 or higher. Debian Stable has 3.XX which is so old that VFIO isn't built in.

There's a lot of guides out there, so pick and choose a guide and follow along. Once you get it set up it's fucking amazing. A protip is that vfio-pci is the way to go as pci-stub is the old way, and use libvirt with virt-manager as it allows you to pin certain vCPUs which solves sound issues.

>>58069651
Correct. You can pass the 1080, and use the integrated onboard graphics on Linux. You can also use an old GPU if you have one laying around if you need more "power", but the integrated GPU will certainly suffice for most cases.
>>
File: 1449459989753.png (1MB, 680x986px) Image search: [Google]
1449459989753.png
1MB, 680x986px
What's a good book for low level programming knowledge?
I've been programming in C/C++ for several years now, but I'm worried that if I go to a job interview for a programming gig my low level knowledge about the computer implementation side isn't up to scratch. Stuff like floating point precision, stack management for objects/function calls, etc sometimes doesn't quite click.
>>
>>58070177
this one helps
>>
How do I get lemonbar to display japanese characters?
>>
>>58070233
I figured it out, I needed to install the fork with xft support.
>>
>>58070376
Nice blog post!
>>
When I run glxspheres64 it says that the openGL renderer is Gallium 0.4 on AMD Tonga. Does this mean my drivers are not properly set up?

I am worried because when I had an Nvidia GPU, it was showing renderer as llvm Gallium when my drivers weren't installed and when it was using CPU's onboard graphics unit. Does anyone know?
>>
>>58070232
Not pure interview stuff, but something more on the technical aspects of computers that programming hides from you, like how the compiler works, how stacks are manged during function calls - basically looking for "computers 101 - the book" as a basis for coding, if the makes any sense.
>>
>>58070439
what is your problem? you would prefer he not say anything at all even though he found the fix?
>>
>>58070143

I appreciate the information. Some of your advice meant absolutely nothing to me right now, but I'm sure I'll know when it's relevant.

Would using my onboard GPU require a monitor being plugged directly into the motherboards graphics ports? If that's the case it would sort of necessitate a second monitor.
>>
Has anyone tried AMDGPU drivers with a GCN 1.0 card?
>>
>>58071070
>Would using my onboard GPU require a monitor being plugged directly into the motherboards graphics ports?
Yes. Basically if you have one monitor, you'll have one cable to the passed GPU, and the other is in the motherboard. So two cables go into the same monitor and you switch manually through the monitor's input button.

If you have two monitors, your main monitor will have cables to both GPU and motherboard, while the other monitor is connected to the motherboard only.

Having a second monitor is nice since you can interact with both Linux and Windows at the same time without needing to change input on the monitor.

As for the advice I gave previously, pci-stub is the "old method" of doing GPU passthrough. Many guides aren't updated and use pci-stub. What you want is vfio-pci as it is easier and it puts the card in S3 suspended mode which means it'll be sleeping when not in use.

The libvirt and virt-manager thing was how the VM is made. A lot of guides are using bash scripts to start the VM. If you use libvirt and virt-manager (which is a GUI), it'll be easier to use and it can do some special stuff like pinning the virtual CPUs to the VM. Basically it can "reserve" cores and threads to be only used by the VM. One of the biggest hurdles with passing through is sound issues where the sound is garbled. This is due to DPC latency, and pinning CPUs like that helps a lot with solving that problem.
>>
>>58071416

Ok, this is digestible. Nominated for best thread.

Another question. Do I need to set up a disk partition for the VM at the time I install the OS? Does a VM even require a disk partition?
>>
Going to ask this here since I think it's out of the scope of /sqt/. I want to set urxvt up such that I can use a keybind to swap color schemes (like from solarized dark to light). Also if it's reasonable to implement I'd like to have it switch based on the time of day aswell. I'd probably end up wanting to swap my background, and i3's colors aswell to make everything nice and cohesive. Where do I even start with this? The only method so far I've seen of doing this involves swapping one config for another, but I'd prefer to be able to do it with one so I don't have to keep two of each config synced up.
>>
>>58071612
>Do I need to set up a disk partition for the VM at the time I install the OS? Does a VM even require a disk partition?
You do not need to set up a disk partition. The VM can live perfectly inside a disk image. Having a raw disk image is better than qcow2 (another disk image format). Raw disk images can be written to a disk if you want partitions later using dd, though it is not common to use physical disk partitions for the VM.
>>
>>58071673
Usually you load a different config with xrdb, but for "live" changing such settings you'd need to use ANSI sequences. You can control with them near everything. For example to change the background to black, the text to green:

printf '\e]11;#000000\a'
printf '\e]10;#00ff00\a'

>solarized
eek
>>
>>58071700

Thanks for all the assistance. OS is installing to SSD right now.

It was about time I made this change. Now the hunt for a new monitor begins.
>>
>>58071837
>Thanks for all the assistance.
No problem. Good luck!

This stuff might be useful:
https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/PCI_passthrough_via_OVMF
https://wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/PCI_passthrough

The Arch wiki is especially useful. It's pretty much the same procedure for Ubuntu as well, however as I mentioned previously, Arch uses mkinitcpio while Debian/Ubuntu uses initramfs-tools so the modules are placed at different places, other than that it should be identical.
>>
I'm a linux newbie who's been using ubuntu with gnome 3. After ubuntu's last update, my old laptop is running slower than ever, though it was never exactly quick to begin with ) Does anyone have any recommendations of a distro / desktop environment that runs quickly and isn't slowed by its own updates?
Or maybe this is a better question: when people on /g/ post their minimal-looking desktop environments, do they actually run faster or is it just for show?
>>
where do files deleted with the delete button go? i cannot find it in my trash folder
>>
Okay so how do I show that thing in terminal where it's like the logo of whatever linux you're using and then it's got the info in it, too... I wish I had a photo but just use your brain powers?
>>
>>58068183
how smelly is his stinkpad really do you think?
>>
>>58072413
screenfetch, neofetch
>>58072482
retard, faggot
>>
File: 157-5746_IMG.jpg (530KB, 1200x1600px) Image search: [Google]
157-5746_IMG.jpg
530KB, 1200x1600px
>>58072495
>retard, faggot
he's not a retard, he's quite gifted. as far as faggot, it's up in the air...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I25UeVXrEHQ
>>
Is dwm worth learning ?
>>
>>58068261
While I have to say that systemd isn't the best thing to have in your OS, the hate towards it is just a meme.
>>
at post 58072508
please go to 9gag
>>
>>58072515
Learn C.
>>
>>58069039
This desu
>>
>>58072385
googling isn't getting me anywhere, extundelete isn't getting me anywhere ive been deleting shit all day and the one time i fuck up is near the end why is linux so unforgiving

fuck linux mint, what is a distro that actually uses the trash can functionality? i need this functionality im not perfect i just wasted my whole day
>>
>>58070113
My grandma runs xubuntu :^)

>Lighter weight desktop
>Can't tell the difference between it and windows
>No viruses
>>
File: Screenshot_2016-12-19_02-22-49.png (10KB, 407x110px) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_2016-12-19_02-22-49.png
10KB, 407x110px
>>58072385
>>58072531
You mean in Nemo? The delete function deletes it permanently. Why don't you just disable the delete function and click "Move to Trash" on right click instead?
>>
File: move.png (15KB, 275x375px) Image search: [Google]
move.png
15KB, 275x375px
>>58072991
I mean heck, you don't even have to disable the delete function when "Move to Trash" is right above it by default.
>>
>>58072991
>>58073008
i don't use right click, i only use keyboard, and im using thunar
>>
>>58073021
I just switched to thunar and pressing the Delete key sends it to trash on my end. Try putting "trash:///" in your address field?
>>
File: Selection_1111.png (177KB, 1365x767px) Image search: [Google]
Selection_1111.png
177KB, 1365x767px
>>58069100
>>58069061
>>58069018
Go tiling anon. Just because you're using one doesn't mean you have to have a bunch of shit tiled in your face. Since you can switch workspaces as easy as hitting mod + 1...9 for example you can have nine different things fullscreen and switch between them super easy. But you will probably find many scenarios where tiling comes in handy and is great. And you can still use floating windows if you would like. Mod + shift + space will make a window floating in i3 and in awesome you can select floating by hitting mod + space.
>>
>>58072495
Thanks bb
>>
Fedora (Gnome)
>I like it as a distro
>Gnome 3 seems interesting
>GPU doesn't work with it

Ubuntu (Unity)
>hate it as a distro
>hate how it looks
>GPU seems to work well

What do?
How do I get my GPU to work with Fedora/Gnome? It works well with Unity and KDE so there should be a way to make it work with Gnome.

btw, it also won't work with Ubuntu-Gnome so the problem isn't really Fedora.
>>
>>58073060
there isn't anything there, but i read somewhere but don't recall where that it doesn't handle ntfs partitions as far as trash is concerned which is probably my problem

thanks anyways
>>
I've been using Linux all my life and I still cannot find a satisfactory answer to this question:

can someone tell me why Linux can't just fucking put a string where the cursor is? why does every fucking weird character tool require you to overwrite whatever you've got in your clipboard I do not fucking understand
>>
http://loonix.guhnoo.org/
>>
>>58069255

qBittorrent and Deluge don't use libttorrent-rakshasa. They use libtorrent-rasterbar. Possibly other clients too.
>>
>>58073008

Move that proprietary devil to the trash, do it.
>>
>>58073123

>tiling
>on that tiny resolution

Ha ha. Enjoy your 4 100×100px windows. At least you'll look like a hacker, right?
>>
File: 1456459259704.jpg (24KB, 300x225px) Image search: [Google]
1456459259704.jpg
24KB, 300x225px
>>58073336
literally what
>>58073008
delete this
>>
>>58073336

Linux doesn't handle that. You are looking at X's clipboards, clibboard managers and "character tools", whatever that is. I assume it's one of those character browsers for fonts.
>>
Manjaro user here.
Upgraded my system, and now Firefox-gtk2 47 won't open.

XPCOMGlueLoad error for file /usr/lib/firefox/libxul.so:
libicui18n.so.57: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
Couldn't load XPCOM.

I could upgrade to FF50, but then I wouldn't be able to use pentadactyl, as it's an unsigned package, and there's no gtk2 version of Firefox-nightly.

Any ideas?
>>
>>58073336
Everyone knows X is horrible and should be replaced, though I'm not sure if you know to make the distinction between X and Linux.
Any case, you can paste with the middle mouse button or shift + insert if it's about that. Your complain doesn't make much sense to me though, maybe I misunderstood.
>>
>>58074055

Swap Pentadyctyl for VimFX. Switch to regular Firefox from the Arch repositories.
>>
>>58074073
How is VimFX?
I've been using Penta for so long, I'm scared to try anything else.
>>
>>58074055
You can try vimperator with modern Firefox.

I'm really pissed at this too, though. I'm not asking for much in a browser but it's impossible to find because Mozilla are being huge idiots about extensions. And pentadactyl developers somehow managed to miss that you can use a different build of Firefox to disable the mandatory extension signing, and for their add-on I would've done so but they stopped developing instead.
Or maybe they've picked it up again, haven't checked in a while.
>>
File: Selection_009.png (696KB, 1365x767px) Image search: [Google]
Selection_009.png
696KB, 1365x767px
>>58073983
You're a fucking idiot. You don't know what the fuck you're talking about nor did you properly comprehend my post. The most I usually tile is two windows like >>58073123 and it's fucking fine. And a lot of the stuff I have open is full screen in different workspaces. Tiling window managers are even superior for full screen or floating windows.

pic 1 - floating
>>
File: Selection_008.png (181KB, 1365x767px) Image search: [Google]
Selection_008.png
181KB, 1365x767px
>>58074133
>>58073983

2 -fullscreen
>>
>>58074102

I don't know, I only use it for the link following and disable everything else.

>>58074133

>Tiling window managers are even superior for full screen or floating windows.
Ha ha, no. It makes no difference what mode your window manager usually operates on if the window is in fullscreen.
You're getting really defensive about this, did I hit a nerve? Why do you need to justify something so trivial?
>>
>>58074116
Last penta nightly was in July, so I think I might be dead.

I'll give vimperator another shot.
I'm so used to penta, it's gonna suck to have to use something else.
>>
>>58074158
I'm just dispelling the fiction around tiling window managers.
>>
Portable Linux
===========

Which is a good Linux distribution that can be run from USB with persistent storage?
>>
>>58074472
literally any of them
>>
>>58074472
I would use manjaro
>>
>>58074480
>>58074518

Thanks.
>>
>>58074480
How do I get files and preferences to save in the USB?
>>
>>58074535
just install it normally to the usb drive, as you would to an ssd/hdd
>>
So is there a just-werks distro that can run both Cinnamon and GNOME well? Ubuntu runs Cinnamon just fine, but GNOME runs like ass. If push comes to shove, though, I guess I can abandon GNOME and move to Mint for the True Cinnamon ExperienceTM (please don't derail the thread into you-know-what).

Also, might as well ask: for some reason, I have a problem where if I watch a YouTube video in Firefox, suddenly the sound doesn't work in any other application, even after I close Firefox. I have to restart the computer to fix it. Sometimes the audio icon is still there in the panel, sometimes it disappears. Could this be a hardware driver thing, or is Firefox doing something retarded?
>>
>>58068183
>0) Install a GNU/Linux distribution of your choice in a Virtual Machine.

I did and I still have it on my drive, but I'm not using it much, only if I want to ssh somewhere and work remotely

>1) Use a live image and to boot directly into the GNU/Linux distribution without installing anything.
>2) Dual boot the GNU/Linux distribution of your choice along with Windows or Mac.

Used a live distribution first, then dual-booted for some time before moving to VM, and it was a nightmare.
On a laptop with Intel + GeForce GPU combo it's nothing but problems, X server crashed constantly,
the fans were constantly on 100% so my computer on idle sounded like a jet engine, shitty basic drivers for my mouse
so I couldn't use macros for my 6th and 7th button (like to have PGUP/PGDN there), shitty basic drivers for the printer
so I coudn't choose paper size/print quality or even scan documents at all.

3) Go balls deep and replace everything with GNU/Linux.

I don't think I ever will, I can invest a little bit of time configuring my system, but spending entire weekend to reenable
n-key rollover that suddenly stopped working is not my kind of fun. Thanks, I'll just stick to the VM.
>>
>>58074637
did someone say mint

I think someone just said mint
>>
>fall for the meme and install gentoo
>after finally finishing it decide that micromanaging everything
>delete install and reinstall kubuntu

Might give calculate a shot since it's less legwork but you can still go full gentoo autisim if you want.
>>
>>58074775

You're a pretentious, naive idiot who does things only to appear cool instead of doing things which are warranted or because he actually needs them.
>>
>>58068183
I've never used a "virtual machine", are they resource intensive?
>>
>>58074823
calm down hero. I stopped using it because it wasn't needed but I could only really find that out by trying couldn't I.
>>
>>58074894

No, you can find that out by asking yourself "what do I need" and by looking at its core premise.
>>
>>58074918
I like to keep an open mind and try things for myself. Gentoo offers a level of control over your system I had not come close to experiencing before so i gave it a shot.

Is something wrong anon, are you having a bad day?
>>
>>58068183
I'm using Dunst. When I receive files via bluetooth the notification doesn't have a button to accept the files. What do I have to change on the config file to get that working?
>>
>>58074644
You're just stupid mane. I'm sorry.
>>
>>58075054

Don't know much about Dunst or the freedesktop notification specification, but: I think the notification sender must specify a button in his notification and then Dunst just renders that. See if the notification does that. If it does, then it's a problem on Dunst's end.
>>
>>58075316
It works if I use xfce4-notifyd. But Dunst doesn't show the button so I can't accept the files.
>>
>>58075354

https://github.com/knopwob/dunst/issues/234
>>
>>58068261
Why would you want to switch away from systemd on a desktop?
Use the init system that your distribution supports. There's nothing bad about systemd except it will use more RAM than other init systems. But if you need that extra RAM first switch from MATE to Xfce, LXDE or LXQt
>>
File: progress.png (1KB, 714x34px) Image search: [Google]
progress.png
1KB, 714x34px
I want to create a GUI frontend for the package manager of my distro but I need some help on how to do it properly.
I'm doing it in C++ and Qt.

I have created a small GUI for testing purpose. Currently, it shows you some software and there's an install and uninstall button.
All it does currently :
>click on the install button
>ask for the password
>set the correct arguments for the package manager (to skip the y/n question you usually have on the CLI, specify the install option & the package name)
>Start a QProcess
>get the output of this process

It works. I can install and uninstall anything I want, but I don't know how I can get the download speed, time remaining and the progression like in pic related. It isn't on the output of the QProcess.
If I could have the download speed and the packages size, I should be able to create something I guess.

Any idea ?
>>
>>58075531
Thanks. I didn't know about the context menu. The manual didn't mention it.
>>
>>58075590
Wrong thread, but try reading the documentation or source of the package manager here, it looks like pacman and that's written mostly in C. Also check out qt documentation as they have some network things iirc
>>
>>58075645
Well, that's a linux thread and we're on a technology board.. I might try /dpt/ later if I don't find anything in the networking part of Qt.
>>
Remember it's always the darkest before the dawn

https://web.archive.org/web/20161129150603/http://hackaday.com/2016/11/28/neutralizing-intels-management-engine/
>>
File: 1480202873130.jpg (65KB, 411x412px) Image search: [Google]
1480202873130.jpg
65KB, 411x412px
>>58072508
That's it, I'm done with everything FSF, GNU, etc...

Promoted by a literal autist communist sociopath faglord.

I'm sure if he was asked about this in an interview, he would start to scorch the interviewer in his usual smug style, belittling anyone who has not ascended to his level of "freedom".
>>
>>58075941
do you expect someone to try to stop you?
>>
>>58075941
Everytime I saw him giving an interview he manages the interviewer look even more obnoxiously stupid than usual,

Watch this
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uFMMXRoSxnA
If I were RMS I'd actually kick the interviewer and spit on his face
>>
How do you create PET packages or SFS modules for puppy linux?
>>
>>58075941
Linux is cuckold communist trash. BSD is not cucked and is pro white and not controlled by kikes.
>>
>>58076045
Thanks, I'll keep that in mind. Is there an equivalent of Ubuntu in the BSD world when it comes to entry level distrod?
>>
File: 1462946486619.png (335KB, 831x1234px) Image search: [Google]
1462946486619.png
335KB, 831x1234px
>>58076045
>BSD:
You write your software, companies able to legally steal your code and give you nothing back, might as well close it off and shove it up your butt. BSD takes the cuckoldry even further by enabling companies to sell your own code to yourself.
Protects code stealers.
Key word: Freebie
Examples and use cases : Things you never cared about. Freebie shit, throwaway codes. Free newspapers.

>GPL:
You make the source open but if anyone uses it he or the company has to give back what they have done to your code. They can't close it off and the source will have to be open. Otherwise enjoy your lawsuit. Protects code makers.
Keyword: Borrow
Examples or usecases: Library books

Verdict: The idea of the sources being open aims to share and improve each others codes. BSD shares codes but it never forces bi-lateral improvement. Companies will steal your code, improve it and give you nothing back, unlike GPL

This post will make BSD cucks very very mad. But every word of this post are hard truths.

>Real life examples
PS4 took BSD codes, improved it and look where it is now. Sony only gave a fraction back as a gesture of politeness, the license doesn't make them do it

Google took LInux, improved it and it's now one of the biggest contributor to the Linux foundation. It's a white gold member and millions of lines of code in Linux comes from Google Engineers. Chromebook uses Linux and Fuchsia is a clone of Linux

>>58076145
Nothing in BSD is nearly as usable as Ubuntu
>>
>>58076154
Good thing I'm not going to write any code for them nor do I give a fuck about anyone stealing BSD code. lmao
>>58076145
I started with FreeBSD myself.
>>
File: 1455292254717.png (112KB, 1209x699px) Image search: [Google]
1455292254717.png
112KB, 1209x699px
>>58076188
>nor do I give a fuck about anyone stealing BSD code.
exactly. If you don't give a fuck about what you are writing go with BSD.
>>
>>58068183
Any botnet-free alternative to Discord and Skype?
>>
>>58076213
Mumble and Ring
>>
>>58076202
I'm not a developer though nor do I intend to write anything using the BSD license. I think GPL is the better license exactly for the reasons you've laid out, mainly for forcing anyone to give back the changes they make.
>>
>>58076154
On the topic of GPL and enjoying lawsuits, how on earth would you ever find out if I used, for example, your opensource networking code in my multiplayer game or online application?
>>
>>58076213
I've heard good things about Wire.
>>
>>58076219
Nothing for video calls?
>>
>>58076213
Matrix. The most popular client is Riot.im.
>>
Can someone help me with this, i wrote about my problem many times but still not fixed:
I have in my bashrc
setxkbmap -option grp:switch,grp:alt_shift_toggle,grp_led:scroll us,rs

I use US and Serbian cyrillic keyboard layout.
Problem is that after X minutes my switch key alt+shift stops working and keyboard is then set to cyrillic. If i want to make it work i need to start terminal again so it can load bashrc or i need to type command from above again.

Does anyone know what is problem?

>arch
>i3wm
>>
File: 008.jpg (144KB, 780x1142px) Image search: [Google]
008.jpg
144KB, 780x1142px
I'm thinking of making a 64 GB flash drive a customized puppy linux virtual machine host with QEMU.

Anybody tried something similar?
How would the RAM usage would be ?
>>
File: 1462338364165.png (677KB, 800x2000px) Image search: [Google]
1462338364165.png
677KB, 800x2000px
>>58076417
Ring
>>
>>58068183
Installed linux distro,what now?
>>
>>58076958
Shitpost about stallman being the lord and saviour of this galaxy through his license
>>
>>58076556

Use an Xorg configuration file. Don't pollute Bash's configuration with useless things.
>>
>>58075200
Oh and what might be the reason for my stupidity? The fact that latest linux drivers for most of equipment I use are outdated as fuck, or the fact that X server is as stable as jenga tower made of jellybeans? Go, tell me how I'm stupid, or how I should pay 500 bucks for new mouse, new keyboard and new printer, or heck even entirely new machine because I want to switch to different operating system that is supposedly free.

You're just an ignorant twat.
>>
File: 1463174737820.jpg (9KB, 259x194px) Image search: [Google]
1463174737820.jpg
9KB, 259x194px
>>58076973
Licence and license. This confusion is so similar to practice and practise that once you've learned the difference for one, you instantly know it for the other! Licence is a noun, license is a verb. Before learning to drive, you apply for a provisional driving licence, but the DVLA must license you to drive
>>
Why can I only do startx once? It just gives me a blank screen if I try to start it more than once before restarting my computer. This isn't DE specific and I have the non-free nvidia drivers which might be causing this.
>>
File: haxing.png (80KB, 600x600px) Image search: [Google]
haxing.png
80KB, 600x600px
>blackarch
>archassault
>archstrike
Why are so many haxing arch linuxes out there?
>>
File: CAM02715.jpg (144KB, 2560x196px) Image search: [Google]
CAM02715.jpg
144KB, 2560x196px
>>58068183
I'm using Ubuntu 16.04 (double boot with windows), but every time I turn it on this appears. It stays for a while and then disappears and everything seems to work (Ubuntu works and all that), but still I don't know if this is fine or not.
>>
>>58077517

That's displaying important messages from the kernel's message buffer during the boot. It shows some issues with your GPU, I assume. Type "dmesg" to see it again.

I don't know if that error is serious, search the web.
>>
Ok guys, I got my first linux install completed last night and now I'm struggling.

First issue I was going to tackle was gfx drivers, but since for some reason I'm only getting dial up internet speeds network drivers will have to take priority.

I have an Asus MAXIMUS VIII Ranger motherboard, which I believe has the Intel Gigabit Ethernet LV219-V network adapter. There does not appear to be a Linux driver available for this from Intel (just a FreeBSD one), but some reading indicates the L218-V driver should work just fine.

I downloaded the drivers from Intel and started trying to install them with the instructions in the readme, but they lost me.

So, how do I get the appropriate drivers for my network adapter installed on Kubuntu?
>>
>>58077664

No, that's not how you do it. DO NOT install drivers that aren't in your repository. Abandon the Windows mindset that you have to download drivers and install them manually.
I don't know about that specific NIC, but since it's from Intel chances are it has great driver support built into the kernel. You don't have to install anything.

Do a lscpi -v and post it here.
>>
>>58077087
I've never had any issues running linux bruh. You're stupid, just accept it.
>>
>>58069061
>>58068945
Oh god you're retarded.
>>
>>58077732

user@TERMINAL:~$ lspci -v
00:00.0 Host bridge: Intel Corporation Sky Lake Host Bridge/DRAM Registers (rev 07)
Subsystem: ASUSTeK Computer Inc. Skylake Host Bridge/DRAM Registers
Flags: bus master, fast devsel, latency 0
Capabilities: <access denied>

00:1f.6 Ethernet controller: Intel Corporation Ethernet Connection (2) I219-V (rev 31)
Subsystem: ASUSTeK Computer Inc. Ethernet Connection (2) I219-V
Flags: bus master, fast devsel, latency 0, IRQ 131
Memory at df300000 (32-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=128K]
Kernel driver in use: e1000e
Kernel modules: e1000e

01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: NVIDIA Corporation Device 1b80 (rev a1) (prog-if 00 [VGA controller])
Subsystem: eVga.com. Corp. Device 6299
Flags: bus master, fast devsel, latency 0, IRQ 16
Memory at de000000 (32-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=16M]
Memory at c0000000 (64-bit, prefetchable) [size=256M]
Memory at d0000000 (64-bit, prefetchable) [size=32M]
I/O ports at e000 [size=128]
Expansion ROM at df000000 [disabled] [size=512K]
Kernel modules: nvidiafb, nouveau

03:00.0 USB controller: ASMedia Technology Inc. ASM1142 USB 3.1 Host Controller (prog-if 30 [XHCI])
Subsystem: ASUSTeK Computer Inc. ASM1142 USB 3.1 Host Controller
Flags: bus master, fast devsel, latency 0, IRQ 16
Memory at df200000 (64-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=32K]
Kernel driver in use: xhci_hcd

Ok, there's the output. I cut out some stuff because it was too long to post otherwise, but I think I've left all the relevant bits. I've used nothing but Windows for well over a decade, so it's going to be a learning process.

On that note, I'm still having to post this from my Windows laptop because CAPTCHA isn't loading in Firefox on the Linux system.
>>
>>58077867
>
>>
>>58077867

>Kernel driver in use: e1000e

It's working as intended. Something else is causing your slow internet speeds.
To be honest, I have never heard of something like this. I have installed Linux distributions on plenty of computers and never had any network issues, apart from a few minor hiccups regarding WLAN devices. Ethernet always worked out of the box. Chances are you messed something up. I suggest you download the stock Ubuntu ISO, boot into that without installing and see how your internet is working. If it is, it means you fucked something up on your Kubuntu install.
You might also want to look into KDE Neon, which is apparently Kubuntu how it's supposed to be. I only know that it packages newer versions of Plasma (the desktop). It sounds more reasonable for people who want Ubuntu and a pre-configured KDE Plasma desktop.
>>
>>58077911

That's irrelevant, I think. To see those you have to run lspci as root.
>>
>>58077911

Ok, lets try this again

00:1f.6 Ethernet controller: Intel Corporation Ethernet Connection (2) I219-V (rev 31)
Subsystem: ASUSTeK Computer Inc. Ethernet Connection (2) I219-V
Flags: bus master, fast devsel, latency 0, IRQ 131
Memory at df300000 (32-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=128K]
Capabilities: [c8] Power Management version 3
Capabilities: [d0] MSI: Enable+ Count=1/1 Maskable- 64bit+
Capabilities: [e0] PCI Advanced Features

>>
>>58077946

Well fuck.

I noticed last night during the actual Kubuntu install. I selected the option to download updated packages during the installation, and it was taking hours to do the downloads which is why I left it overnight.

I had assumed it was just large files, but now I'm thinking it must have been the same issue. I can download a file on the linux box and get speeds of ~9-15kbps, and start the same download over wifi on my laptop and get over 1mbps.

I guess I'll have to try what you say to make sure it's not fucked in some other way.
>>
>>58077621
Ok, thanks. I will try to search for it now.
>>
File: imusingarchbtw.jpg (107KB, 900x975px) Image search: [Google]
imusingarchbtw.jpg
107KB, 900x975px
why aren't you wearing you favorite distro logo?
>>
I'm interested in trying out dwm, b ut first I need to learn how to patch the source code.

If I download dwm 6.1 from the suckless website, how do I apply the diffs I want to patch it with?
>>
>>58078169
my favorite distro doesn't have one
>>
File: 1463411879053.png (4KB, 739x432px) Image search: [Google]
1463411879053.png
4KB, 739x432px
How the fuck do you people even function? Today I wanted to compile GIMP 2.9.4.
I've never even searched how to compile shit before. So I open Bash on Ubuntu on Windows 10, search on Google how to install .tar.bz2 files.
Then I find out how to get to Downloads (cd /mnt/c/Users/Username/Downloads)
Open the tarball, cd in, try ./configure
>!!!ERROR NIGGA!!! You're missing this dependency!
Okay, no problem, download package.tar.bz
Unzip
cd package
./configure
>!!!Oi, you're missing another dependency!!!
Fine, get another package.tar.bz
Unzip, ./configure, make, sudo make install
>!!!NIGGA WHERE IS YOUR C COMPILER?!!!
apt-get install builder-essentials (or something along those lines)
Get back to it, make, sudo make install...
5 dependencies later...
./configuring m4-1.4.17
It stops at "checking something honors something"
Stays at that line for a few minutes, so I close bash
When I open it now it doesn't even load, stays at pic related

Is this because I'm using Bash on Windows? Do GNU/Linux distros come with these packages, or are they as crippled as me on Windows?
Actually now that I'm thinking about it, would I even be able to run the GIMP 2.9.4 (if I managed to get to compiling it) on Windows (like a regular Windows Form Application)?
>>
>>58078198
good post
>>
>>58078198

No.
Normal people who aren't retards use a proper Linux distribution.
Normal people who aren't retards install dependencies from their package manager.
>>
>>58078311
You know I tried that? I did read the INSTALL file that came with GIMP, it listed like 18 dependencies on the bottom. For example the first one was ATK. Nothing less nothing more, just "ATK". So I tried apt-get install ATK.
>WRONG NIGGA, NO PACKAGE WITH THIS NAME EXISTS BITCH
So I tried the next one, "babl"
apt-get install babl
>NU-UH, DOESN'T EXIST
apt-get install libbzip2
>GET FUCKED NIGGA
I had better luck using Google, searching for "ATK package; babl package; libbzip2 package" and so forth. They only had tarballs available, didn't actually list what they're called in apt-get.

Even using some sort of apt-get browser I couldn't find anything when searching for "ATK", "babl" or "libbzip2" and so forth.
>>
>>58068183
Alright, I'm going out on a limb here and asking something which is probably already being addressed, or at least we hope it is.

What is the GNU/Linux community doing/thinking about changing it's strategy regarding the crippled relationship between GNU/Linux and our specific hardwares? Can anyone think of a bigger hurdle for GNU/Linux right now than drivers that don't work or don't exist?

The way things are now, GNU/linux is only viable for aggressive computing and/or privacy enthusaists and career users. And by "viable" I mean "they *make* it work". And even they grow tired of burning personal time, combing through search engine shit and fruitless forum banter to find that their issue still isn't fixed yet, years after the hardware's release.

What is it going to take to get software dev/engineering talent to get a good set of drivers within a reasonable time frame of the hardware's release?

tl;dr: Drivers for my hardware when?
>>
>>58078386
Are you using bash in Windows 10? Or Ubuntu in a vm in Windows 10?
>>
>>58078198
>Bash on Ubuntu on Windows
That's like going into a gay bar in order to get laid with a girl.
>>
>>58078605
The pic makes it clear (kinda). It's the former. The shit that Microsoft was hyping for a few months before Anniversary Update. I'm trying to use it to learn basics before transitioning. I didn't want to really deal with a VM yet.
>>
File: 1471129561540.jpg (30KB, 320x479px) Image search: [Google]
1471129561540.jpg
30KB, 320x479px
>>58078198
>So I open Bash on Ubuntu on Windows 10
>search on Google how
WHAT THE FUCK IS WRONG WITH YOU
>>
File: 1480531803537.jpg (29KB, 500x508px) Image search: [Google]
1480531803537.jpg
29KB, 500x508px
>>58078618
Hey.

That actually works sometimes.
>>
>>58078662
>>58078667
kek

I love you all.
>>
>>58078662
Well sorry for even attempting to transition to GNU/Linux, next time I won't bother and instead make a new thread about how unusable it is because I had literally no prior experience before installing Gentoo.
>>
>>58078692
Did you read any suggestions in the OP about crippling on Windows 10 in order to learn? Get a VM like a human bean and read the wikis.
>>
I need someone with Opensuse leap KDE (the last one), audacious and a W7 VM and audacious to test something for me!
please open your VM, disable mouse integration and try to use multimedia keys while inside the VM. does it work?
>>
>>58078638
>I didn't want to really deal with a VM yet.
Dude just use a VM, using bash in windows you're likely already virtualizing a linux-type environment so you may as well do it properly.

in ubuntu gimp is probably preinstalled but if it weren't you just go 'sudo apt-get install gimp' and it handles the depends for you.
>>
>>58078498
>Can anyone think of a bigger hurdle for GNU/Linux right now than drivers that don't work or don't exist?
Lack of games. Driver support has gotten a lot better over the last years.
>>
File: Selection_041.png (102KB, 778x654px) Image search: [Google]
Selection_041.png
102KB, 778x654px
>>58078386
>Even using some sort of apt-get browser I couldn't find anything when searching for "ATK",
You mean like this?
>>
File: 1457304074147.png (398KB, 480x600px) Image search: [Google]
1457304074147.png
398KB, 480x600px
>>58078198
>Anon McFailure's first foray into linux
>failed to make the first step: actually getting some kind of linux to fuck up
bash on ubuntu on windows is not linux-based
>>
>>58078386
Also why didn't you just apt-get gimp in the first place?
>>
>>58078823
Yup, only it was a webpage.
>>58078846
Duhh, I wanted the 2.9.4 dev version. Does apt-get have that one?
>>
>>58078857
>Duhh, I wanted the 2.9.4 dev version. Does apt-get have that one?
You're giving a lot of sass for someone who can't install gimp
>>
>>58077760
>I don't have any problems, so people that have them are stupid.
I wanted to reason with you at first, but then I've realised your ad personam argumentation is on a level of average baboon, therefore I don't want to take this any further.
>>
>>58078843
This. Sycalls are translated for Windows's native kernel.
>>
>>58078857
Choose a more beginner project.
>The most important part is to make sure the requirements for a build are fulfilled. We depend on a number of tools and libraries which are listed below. For libraries this means you need to also have the header files installed.
>Unless you are experienced with building software from source, you should not attempt to build all these libraries yourself! We suggest that you check if your distributor has development packages of them and use these instead.
>>
>>58078967
it's like if i went to install the windows version of gimp from source starting with nothing but the source tarball and wine, and no previous windows experience
>>
File: littlegnu.png (9KB, 196x179px) Image search: [Google]
littlegnu.png
9KB, 196x179px
What would be the most clever way to know if an archive includes more than one file, so I can extract it into a new directory instead to avoid clutter.
>>
linux
>>
>>58078198
Bash on windows is strictly for cli. Nothing with a graphical interface will work. And I've never seen a distro that didn't have gimp in their repos. So on linux you would just type something like 'sudo [your package manager] install gimp' and the package manager will take care of all of the dependencies and everything.
>>
>>58078857
>Duhh, I wanted the 2.9.4 dev version. Does apt-get have that one?
Here you go:
sudo add-apt-repository ppa:otto-kesselgulasch/gimp-edge
sudo apt update && sudo apt install gimp gimp-gmic

http://tipsonubuntu.com/2016/08/02/install-gimp-2-9-5-ubuntu-16-04/
>>
File: Selection_001.png (17KB, 573x140px) Image search: [Google]
Selection_001.png
17KB, 573x140px
>>58079160
-l
>>
>>58079227
GNU/Linux*
>>58079160
If you don't want to write your own function, just use atool, which does it out of the box.
>>
>>58079357
>anon
nice
>>
>>58079357
>arch
matters
>-l
thanks
>>58079394
>atool
will check
>>58079398
>nice
nice
>>
>>58079357
>Selection_001.png
>anon@arch
anon did you make a new user just to take this screenshot?
>>
>>58077335
Anyone?
>>
>>58079444
My selections are sequentially numbered and go to my ~/screengrabs folder that I routinely clear out thus starting the count over.
>>
Thanks for recommending bspwm, it's awesome.
>>
Fedora follows switching to Python3 and it does it the right way!
https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Changes/Python_3_as_Default
>>
File: Selection_007.png (110KB, 1025x792px) Image search: [Google]
Selection_007.png
110KB, 1025x792px
>>58078857
>>58078386
Hey look i got it
Shit that was hard
>>
>>58079548
now install gentoo
>>
>>58079548
But I wanted it on Wangblows :((((
>>
>>58079566
Windows is malware. Get rid of it.
>>
>>58079554
I'm not that good senpai
>>
>>58079278
you can get xorg working on wsl fine, it's just a completely pointless exercise
>>
>>58079611
>implying you need to be "good" to install gentoo
what kind of retarded meme shit is this?
>>
>>58079554
>using a distro that shills skype
>no warnings about surveillence, unknown network traffic, etc
arch at least warns the users
>>
>>58079659
>not realizing that anyone can write wiki pages
>being so retarded that you actually need a warning about something like skype
>>
>>58079659
Arch isn't better. They should just drop such wiki items alltogether. If someone wants to kill himself, people shouldn't give them instructions.
>>
>>58079659
>using a distro based on external things like its wiki
How does it feel to be an idiot?
>>
>>58079677
never use analogies
it only leads to failure
>>
>>58079656
I am just a humble mint user
>>
>>58079677
>>58079659
>not using skype
>having no friends
>>
>>58079698
never use them if you are retarded like >>58079677 you mean
>>
>sjw item on debian wiki
>people drop debian
>botnet item on gentoo wiki
>it's alright
>>
>>58079659
I'm on Arch, btw
>>
>>58079741
>drop
>implying i used that piece of shit in the first place
and no, an sjw item on their wiki isn't the problem, it's that the devs are sjw retards.
>>
File: poweredbydankmemes.png (36KB, 416x599px) Image search: [Google]
poweredbydankmemes.png
36KB, 416x599px
>>58079757
>>
>>58079659
>she needs surveillance warnings when using microsoft """""software"""""
kek
>>
>>58079819
Btw, what's the "Arch Linux" font family?
>>
I want to try a new WM. Any recommendations?
I tried so far: i3, dwm, awesome, bspwm. Liked bspwm pretty much.
>>
>>58079698
Keep your retardation and autism to yourself. You have posted this like 10 times already, nobody cares about you.
>>
>>58079950
rude
>>
>>58079961
Why do you think I give a fuck? Please don't post retarded shit here if you don't like "rude" posts.
>>
>>58079989
you need to let go and seek unrustlement, my friend
>>
>>58080004
I'm not your friend though.
>>
hey linux nerds
wifi keeps dropping when I'm running on battery, what do
>>
>>58080023
>wifi keeps dropping when I'm running on battery, what do
check your power management settings?
>>
>>58079920
bspwm is already master race.
>>
>>58080023
Was about to say this >>58080064

I bet you're using mint huh?
>>
>>58080083
please do not distroshame me
>>
>>58080083
I'm on Arch
>>
>>58080072
>>58079920
You forgot to try Xmonad.

i3
Xmonad
dwm
awesome
bspwm

>>58080112
I don't believe you.
Manjaro/Antergos != Arch
If you were running arch proper you wouldn't be asking dumb questions.
>>
>>58080137
>here on arch, we're advanced user and we know it
>>
>>58080112
Then you have it easy. The arch wiki has all of the info you could need to take care of any problem and the fact that you're actually running arch makes all of that info even more valuable.
>>58080151
>>
>>58080072
it isn't xmonad so nope
>>
For ubuntu (kubuntu / xubuntu flavors included), am I better off using an LTS version or the most recent release?
>>
>>58080189
Don't use outdated shit. Just stick to the most recent one
>>
>>58080189
Most recent and keep updating or you will be stuck on an LTS and need to resinstall when the they drop support for it.
>>
>>58080184
I don't know haskell and don't care to learn it.
>>
>>58080212
how does that change what i've said?
>>
>>58080219
What makes xmonad so great?
>>
>>58080296
try it yourself and find out. you haven't answered my question though.
>>
>>58080083
this was me >>58080105

anyway thanks for the suggestion
>>
So I'm running win10 on virtualBox on xubuntu 16.04 for university. I need one of the USB ports to work. I'm rather new to linux and I don't have much time for figuring this out. Point me in the right direction pls.
>>
>>58080477
Create a shared folder and then put the file you need into linux and then put it on usb.
>>
>>58080477
usb passthrough. virtualbox has a plugin for that
>>
>meet nice grill
>shes using spotify, windows and chrome
would you rather shut up and get laid or be autistic and tell her to get better software?
>>
File: 1477198398444.jpg (79KB, 435x326px) Image search: [Google]
1477198398444.jpg
79KB, 435x326px
>>58081646
>going outside
>>
>>58081646
>tell her to get better software
she's already using it
>>
>>58081659
how did you determine from his post that he "went outside"?
>>
>>58081646
The thing I do to wet my my dick.
Just get over with it. "Not my computer"
>>
File: 1453276083238.png (24KB, 169x255px) Image search: [Google]
1453276083238.png
24KB, 169x255px
>>58081646
>hey anon, what's ur skype?
>I don't use skype, because NSA snooping
>...? so give me your facebook
>I don' use facebook, because [...]
>well then, see u later
>>never see her later
>>
>>58081687
There are no girls on the internet, so logic follows that he went outside to see girl
>>
>>58081717
>logic
your broken & retarded logic? yeah, maybe.
not any kind of logic which could be called correct though.
no girls on the internet somehow -> he went outside
i really fail to see the connection here. could you please explain?
>>
>>58081727
you can't meet girls where there are no girls
but he clearly said he "met nice girl"
and even though he types it "grill" it still is "girl" because grills don't like spotify
>>
>>58081714
There's a small line between being a creep and being an interesting outsider. If you sell yourself interesting, girl doesn't care about skypebook.
>>
>>58081741
huh? i still fail to see the "logic" here.
in what world are "x isn't on the internet" and "he went outside" directly linked to each other?
>>
File: 1472955982319.jpg (390KB, 686x1024px) Image search: [Google]
1472955982319.jpg
390KB, 686x1024px
>>58081748
>interesting outsider
>>
>>58081748
>being an interesting outsider
kek
is that really how you think of yourself?
>>
>>58081714
>not giving her your dumbphone number
>>
>>58079534
Good, now only debshitters remain
>>
>>58080477
>w10
why literally

https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/VirtualBox#Accessing_host_USB_devices_in_guest
>>
>>58081923
>>58082001
stop namefagging
>>
>>58082025
Help I can't stop
>>
>>58082025
Or what?
>>
>>58079869
Karat by Rubicon Computer Labs (Nonfree Shareware)
>>
>>58077088
This by far the best thing I have learned on /g/ ever....Keep up the good work.
>>
Why even use "free" software when proprietary does the job just fine?
>>
>>58082310
You don't even know what it really does.
>>
>>58082317
Nobody does unless they are a programmer and now the specific language something was written in. So what's the point of "free" software if you aren't a programmer?
>>
>>58082310
1. Free software doesn't cost money (usually).
2. You can be certain that it's not doing other, shadier, jobs "just fine."
>>
What info is actually stored in a .cap file ?
>>
>>58082310
You can't fork non free software as you wish.
For example you can't fork windows to have an ext4 or hfs driver
>>
>>58082345
1. I don't pay for proprietary software either apart from some games. You can pirate everything
2. I can't though, I'm not a programmer.
>>58082370
Why do you think I am even capable of doing that? I'm a simple user.
>>
>>58082393
Other people will do it for you, that's the point.
>>
>>58082393
>I'm a simple user.
Fuck off /g/
>>
>>58082393
But you have a fuckton of people with no time (or sometimes that is their work because they're hired by red hat) that are constantly checking for bugs or shady shit. Windows doesn't have an external impartial auditor.
>>
File: 1467901603107.png (1MB, 1000x1400px) Image search: [Google]
1467901603107.png
1MB, 1000x1400px
>>58082310
>>58082338
Free software means software that respects the user's freedom.

There are four essential freedoms that the user of software should always have:

Freedom 0 is the freedom to run the program however you wish.
Freedom 1 is the freedom to study the source code of the program and change it to make the program do as you wish.
Freedom 2 is the freedom to distribute copies of the program to others when you wish. This includes republication of the program.
Freedom 3 is the freedom to distribute copies of your modified versions to others when you wish. This includes republication.

If you have all four of these essential freedoms, then the program is free software, which means that the social system of the distribution of the program is an ethical system that respects the freedom and community of the users.

If one of these freedoms is missing, then the program is proprietary software, meaning that it keeps the users divided and helpless, and gives the developer power over the users. This is an injustice. Proprietary software should not exist and should not be used.

If you want to have freedom, the only way you can have it while using computers is by rejecting proprietary software.
>>
>>58082402
Why do you think I trust those "other people"?
>>58082404
Fuck off if you think even half of the people on /g/ are programmers
>>58082405
Why do you think I trust them? I actually trust something like Apple (microsoft is shit though) more to keep their code in check than I do some shady neet who has been hired to presumably "check" code.
>>58082428
cool.
>>
File: 1473539364410.png (311KB, 440x440px) Image search: [Google]
1473539364410.png
311KB, 440x440px
>>58082317
>>58082345
>>58082428
>mfw freetards spouting out all MUH FREEDUMB but using botnet google captcha to post on a closed source proprietary imageboard software
>>
>>58082438
>/g/ technology
>lol I don't program, neither should others :D
>why should I, I'm a t̶e̶c̶h̶-̶i̶n̶e̶p̶t̶ ̶ """((simple))""" user
>>
>>58082455
We had the same discussion yesterday, you boring cancer.
>>
>>58082465
>neither should others :D
But I never said that. I'm just not a programmer and I don't need to be one to use software.
>>
>>58082455
>but using botnet google captcha
lmoa stop being poor

> closed source proprietary imageboard software
not my computer lmao
>>
>>58082482
>not my computer lmao
You're still using closed source proprietary software.
>>
>>58082477
No one needs to know programming to use a software
>>
im writing this on my Mac OS. just letting you guys know
P.S. Mac >>>>>> Linux
>>
File: 1476502250695.gif (28KB, 640x347px) Image search: [Google]
1476502250695.gif
28KB, 640x347px
>>58082438
It doesn't matter if you can program or not.

>Left, Free program
>People are customizing it to their needs, talk to each other about how to improve it, some other guy just added a security patch, bad things are already removed. Some guys can't program (You), so they are watching, because they still benefit from the improvements.

>Right, Prorietary Program
>Once executed, it only does what the developer wants, may have backdoors, may snoop data, may delete system32
>>
File: Moving-the-goalposts-300x2402.jpg (29KB, 300x240px) Image search: [Google]
Moving-the-goalposts-300x2402.jpg
29KB, 300x240px
>>58082494
lmoa
>>
>>58082467
and you lost. now leave the thread lmao
>>
File: 1482015029367.png (123KB, 700x700px) Image search: [Google]
1482015029367.png
123KB, 700x700px
>they still for for it like everyday
>>
File: 1473151231709.png (317KB, 1022x762px) Image search: [Google]
1473151231709.png
317KB, 1022x762px
>>58082503
Shouldn't you be posting these on >>>/fa/?
>>
>>58082508
I'm not using Windows though. I hate it.
>may
So?
You also forgot to add "doesn't even fucking work" to your list of "benefits" "free software" has.
>>
>>58082524
but im not an apple store employee. don't go to /fa/ either
>>
->
-> >>58082555
->
>>
File: 1466508059614.jpg (102KB, 624x1024px) Image search: [Google]
1466508059614.jpg
102KB, 624x1024px
>>58082545
You should
>>
>>58082533
Windows isn't the only proprietay program.
>>
>>58082572
Why? I don't think it pays more than my current job
>>58082584
Then why does the image talk about windows and shows it their? I'm a Mac user.
>>
>>58082595

You know full well what an example is.

What I'm not sure about is why you would dedicate time to trolling the friendly linux thread one it's one of the few useful threads I've ever interacted with on /g/. Go shit up somewhere else.
>>
File: imageedit_2_5127394463.gif (282KB, 1000x625px) Image search: [Google]
imageedit_2_5127394463.gif
282KB, 1000x625px
I'm currently using OpenBox with no DE. I want a taskbar/tray similar to what commonly goes across the top or bottom of most peoples' setups. I found stalonetray, but that seems to just give me a space for stuff minimized to the tray. How do I get a statusbar for the time, wifi module, a place applications get minimized to, etc. ?
>>
>>58074637
Anyone? Please don't tell me to try the other thread. Believe me, I tried.
>>
>>58082766
Look up tint2.
>>
>>58082856
No, fuck off you noob piece of shit. Don't post here unless you use Arch Linux
>>
>>58082976
Oh, hello again. It's been a while since we last talked in one of these threads. How've you been?
>>
>>58083024
Fuck off, I don't talk to noobshits.
>>
>>58068183
ew why does that laptop have so many ports
>>
Im using arch and anyone who uses anything else is shit lmao they're such a n00b fuckin pathetic im using arch and I want you to know that im using arch because im using arch and that means Im leet and I think that because im using arch so Im smart and intellectual im using arch im using arch im using A R C H L I N U X P E O P L E U S I N G A R CH L I N U X A R E L I K E T H I S L O O K J U S T L I K E T H I S A R C H I S F O R P E O P L E W H O A R E L I K E T H I S
>>
>>58083083
Glad to know you're doing okay.
>>
>>58083178
Yeah, sure. Fuck off though, don't pollute this thread with your noob presence.
>>
Is st (suckless simple terminal) as good as urxvt?
>>
>>58083228
Depends on your distro. What distro?
>>
>>58083228
I think so.
Its not supposed to be used without screen or tmux though. You'll want to look into how to configure tmux to make scrollback act normally(like other scrolling, rather than having to activate it with a keybind). I did it but I forget how now. Making a desktop entry to start it with tmux is also adviseable.
Its customized with a c header file, not a config file, so if you want to use a custom color scheme or have it use a not-shit font by default you'll have to set that in the config.h before compiling it. (though you can make it use a not shit font when starting the program too, say, in the desktop file. cant set colors this way though)
>>
>>58083266
I cant see any reason this would be true?
what are you implying?
>>
>>58083303
I was thinking of using st and dwm to help me learn C. If I set tmux to have the scroll feature will I be able to do it with my middle mouse? I've never bothered using tmux before.
>>
>>58083339
I'm implying "what's your distro you fucking faggot?"
>>
>>58083362
yeah, im pretty sure. On my thinkpad holding middle mouse button and moving the mouse up makes it scroll like normal, I figure itd respond to the wheel if I Plugged a mouse in.
it has scrolling normally, you just have to press C-[something] then some other keys its bound to, wheras if you configure it it can act normal
also, you need to use shift+click to select text normally, and then alt+shift+c and alt+shift+v to copy and paste from the normal clipboard.
>>
>>58083451
>>58083362
oh, and I think the tmux setting is mouse support. Which'd be "set -g mouse on" in ~/.tmux.conf
>>
>>58083451
I found a patch on suckless.org that allows scrolling with shift+pageup! http://st.suckless.org/patches/scrollback
>>
There's a piece of software called "Aquasuite" that's used for interfacing with and programming my fan / pump controller via an internal USB connection. It's only available as a .exe installer file and requires .NET Framework 4.6.1.

Should I be looking at Mono, WINE, or USB passthrough to a VM to start using this software on my Kubuntu install?
>>
>>58083538
Yeah, thats a thing. Why use shift+pageup/pagedown as opposed to scrollwheel though?
I guess itd be alright if you rebound it from shift pageup/pagedown to something more convenient to get at, but still.
Thread posts: 341
Thread images: 45

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.