[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Dead memes

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 1

File: rip.jpg (105KB, 500x650px) Image search: [Google]
rip.jpg
105KB, 500x650px
>motion control dead
>3D cinema dead
>ambilight dead
>VR dead
>smartwatches dead
>4K movies a stillbirth

What will be the next tech-related meme to bite the dust?
>>
>>58059040
VR isn't dead, the technology is in its infancy. Anons saying VR is dead in 2016 is like people saying cars are dead in 1890. That said, there's no reason to buy VR now unless you want to be on the bleeding edge of tech, wait 10-15 years.
>>
>>58059108
The problem is, if people don't buy them now in a high enough number, there won't be any in 10-15 years, and it will die before it actually starts to become mainstream.
>>
>>58059040
>motion control dead
It's just gone away for a while before VR, which is going to rely on it very heavily, gets big

>3D cinema dead
In homes yes, but not in actual movie theaters.

>ambilight dead
I don't think it was ever alive so

>VR dead
Not really... It's still gaining momentum as the selection of games improves and people wait for the inevitable mass market priced hardware (other than the PSVR) to become commonplace.

>smartwatches dead
Apparently the Apple watch is selling better than ever right now so if it was ever alive, it's doing better than what it did.

>4K movies a stillbirth
For physical media, yes, it simply arrived too soon after regular blu-ray, but 4k streaming is only taking off as 4k displays start gaining market penetration. Who knows, maybe enough market penetration for 4k displays will create a market for 4k blu-ray?
>>
>>58059040
AMD Ryzen
>>
>>58059124
Cars didn't sell in all that high numbers until the Model T, but that didn't stop development from continuing the same way a somewhat niche market won't stop the development of VR headsets (which is still going on at a high pace). Hell, you could make the argument that the PSVR is the Model T of consumer VR.
>>
>>58059185
You're right, but the difference here is that with those old things the incentive to develop them was huge.
Nowadays there isn't much incentive to make VR for a number of reasons, so its future isn't that certain.
>>
>>58059185
>VR has the same real-world use a car does to the average consumer

Wow, I didn't realize.
>>
>>58059225
We are talking about a peripheral with loads of uses beyond games so there's obviously a large market for a good product at a good price with the software to support it.

For these three points we have two products that are both at the point where they only need to get cheaper, one product which has gotten to the point where it's cheap enough for mass market and the software is also getting there. With Facebook using up loads of money for the further development of the OR, Samsung doing the same for their phone based solution, Valve working on the Vive and the open source community working on the OSVR it's pretty clear that development is continuing at full steam with no sign of stopping. The thing that is going to get the market to explode is a Vive or an OR at the price of a PSVR and that's probably less than a year away.
>>
>>58059244
>>58059225
>>58059225
>>58059185
>>58059108

Just changed VR with Space Wars instead of cars and you all got it right.

Why /g/ are so retarded today just to proved them self right?
>>
>>58059040
tablets
>>
3.5mm socket

optical media

vinyl records
>>
>>58059287
I understand, but it's still up to the masses to buy it, and for now I'm not really sure that will be the case.
While the headsets may be getting cheaper, the systems needed to use them are still expensive.
All this while it's still at the "neat gimmick" stage.
If they get good (meaning having reasons to use them a lot instead of just trying some stuff for a week and getting tired of it) and cheap before people's interest dies, then it's going to explode.
But if it doesn't get past this initial stage, these big companies will cut their losses and stop pursuing this "VR future" because they'll be too scared of losing money.
>>
>>58059420
>optical media
it's dead for at least 3 years

>vinyl records
it's booming right now
>>
>>58059153
>Apple watch is selling better than ever right

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/the-wearables-market-outlook-for-2017-is-not-pretty-173604429.html
>The third quarter, ending in October, was especially unkind to Apple Watch sales. Apple (AAPL) shipped about 1 million Apple Watches in the quarter, according to research firm IDC, a 70% drop compared to the year before. Apple was in fact the only manufacturer to lose market share in wearables in the quarter.

Apple is doomed with iphone.
>>
>>58059663
>it's booming right now
Not anymore.
>it's dead for at least 3 years
The floppy is dead. ODD will be around as it's reliable and good for archiving.
>>
As somebody with exposure to the movie industry, my friend being heavily involved with it, digital 4k cameras were getting common like five years ago. Back then they were still way overpriced, but nowadays a 4k camera really doesn't cost a fucking lot. Shooting film in 4k is very easy, and a lot of film you see in cinema is shot in 4k, studios just haven't released stuff in 4k yet for some reason. The capability is there, they're just dragging their feet because 4k I think at this point is still too expensive for wide adoption. There's also kind of a catch-22 with the premium for 4k not being worth it because of the lack of content and making content not being worth it because of the lack of viewers.
>>
>>58059293
Undecipherable grammar.
>>
There's also the fact that no matter how popular 4k gets, people aren't going to rush out to replace their HDTVs and 1080p monitors because they're frankly good enough and people still don't even have a lot of content in HD never mind in 4k. People are gonna replace them really slowly.
>>
4k penetration is gonna be at least a third by 2019 so I would expect to see some video content by then. By 2020 it will be nearly half. It's gonna be faster then it was with HDTV, it just doesn't happen overnight.

Being an early adopter is always a meme.
>>
>>58059040
>ambilight

What the fuck I've never heard of this. Sounds so retarded. Do people actually think some flashing lights on their wall is gonna be more "immersive"? It would just bug the shit out of me.
Thread posts: 21
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.