[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Is he, dare I say it, our guy?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 45
Thread images: 4

File: richard.jpg (221KB, 889x555px) Image search: [Google]
richard.jpg
221KB, 889x555px
Is he, dare I say it, our guy?
>>
>>58056555
No, but those trips are my guy.
>>
>>58056555
saw 85-92 is a timeless masterpiece
>>
>>58056589
Yes. I will have the whole album's midi notes engraved in my tombstone.
>>
>>58056555
who's that guy on the left?
>>
>>58056615
David Bowie
>>
q: when does this board ever talk about aphex
a: the one night i am gutted about trying and failing to see him live in the one show he'll ever do in my country in the next 10 years
>>
>>58056630
synchronicity
>>
>>58056589
yeah wow you can recognize RDJ from a picture congratulations fagass
>>
>>58056650
That's not Robert Downie Junior you fucking cunt.
It's Aphex Twin.
>>
>>58056555
I don't know who the fuck these inbreeds are, but none of them is "my guy", that's for sure.
>>
>>58057849
They're not inbreds, they're just Bri-
Nevermind.
>>
I'm pretty sure he borrowed from a chiptune I made. He made it much better and more uptempo though. I remember hearing his track (not officially released) literally 15 years after the fact and thought "geez, this sounds familiar", and then it clicked and I knew why. While what made me perk up my ears (basically the entire texture of the primary section aside from the melody on top) could be just a bizarre coincidence his track also has a secondary section that while not almost identical like the primary section is nonetheless stylistically very similar to the secondary section on my track. The 1995 timeline makes sense. Maybe he was just looking for ideas at the time and listened to a bunch of tracks and found something he liked. Music wants to be greater, and he made it greater.
>>
>>58057917

Post your shit
>>
>>58057917
This happened to me with an East 17 song except I only ever hummed it and their version went to number one.
>>
>>58056555
I will dare to say, yes, he's /ourguy/.
>>
>>58057821
Well memed
>>
>>58057917
When I first started learning electronic music production, I made a little melody in FL Studio to test a new VST I downloaded, and a few months later some EDM guy made a song with the exact same melody.

Obviously it's just a coincidence, since I never shared the project file with anybody, but it's still neat and it still somehow makes me butthurt for some reason.
>>
>>58058419
Do something unique that's not likely to be copied
Xenharmonism
Polyrhythms
Field recordings
>>
>>58058164
Nah, I'm not giving it away. My only hint aside from what I already said is that it's melodic and not abrasive. Those who know his unreleased stuff can narrow the field to some degree, possibly even more than I realize since I'm not familiar with everything he's done. It's probably going to be tough to find the match though because you'd be looking for a needle in a haystack even if you managed to narrow down his tracks to a bunch based on the description. Still, a really diligent sleuth could crack the case.

>>58058359
I can't remember any East 17 songs, but aren't all boy band songs generic pap with plebeian melodies? I'd just feel embarrassed for writing a gross melody that could be used by a boy band tbqh. Then again, music is not the reason they sell records. They just need earwormy rubbish to market the full product. I wouldn't be surprised if 12-year-olds wrote the hooks for boy bands, melody and lyrics both.

>>58058419
Yeah, I remember cases of hearing something isolated in some other context. Maybe a chord or timbre or some specific sound or very short riff. I always found it jarring, like suddenly becomign aware I'm wearing my shoes on my hands. It's especially irritating if I can't place the sound. Obviously there are always going to be small things coinciding, although a whole melody shouldn't unless it's very unoriginal.
>>
>>58058485
The more you get into this kind of weird stuff, the more your music goes from being pleasurable to an unlistenable technical excersize.
I'd rather have a good balance between universally musical concepts (that everyone uses) and original/obscure techniques.

Unless your song is extremely simple (or revolves entirely around one single feature), someone copying it would result in them taking only a piece of the whole puzzle (unless they remake the song in all its characteristics), which would still be, in the combination of its elements, my original work.

If you have to resort to obscure gimmicky techniques to stand out and be original, it means you're not very creative (or at least not as those who stand out doing "normal" stuff).
>>
>>58058580
>although a whole melody shouldn't unless it's very unoriginal
Yeah, it wasn't anything special or complex
>>
>>58058586
>The more you get into this kind of weird stuff, the more your music goes from being pleasurable to an unlistenable technical excersize.
>If you have to resort to obscure gimmicky techniques to stand out and be original, it means you're not very creative (or at least not as those who stand out doing "normal" stuff).
You can use them subtly, like an exotic spice in cooking.
Take Biosphere who sprinkles field recordings of melting ice and avalanches in his ambient pieces.
>>
>>58058630
Of course. That's what everyone should do.
But it won't help avoiding being copied, as these things wouldn't be a prominent part of the song, and something else would still be easily copied.
>>
>>58058630
Do you know of any modern Ambient musicians with interesting sound design?
>>
>>58060317
I don't know many ambient artists.
Biosphere uses interesting samples that most people don't hear too often, like underwater recordings of cracking ice, melting snow, avalanches.
He also made an interesting pure field recording album called "Cho Oyu".
>>
>>58060395
Interesting, I'll check him out, thank you.
>>
>>58060448
He inspired me to start field recording myself.
Sadly that hobby is dormant right now.

It's time-consuming to find worthwhile sounds without background noise.

I was surprised to still hear cars and background noise when recording 2 miles into the woods. A good microphone is like a microscope.
>>
>>58060477
Wow, that's cool.
Have you tried getting into recording weird sounds and process them to get interesting results?
Obviously it won't be field recording, but you might find it fun nonetheless, and it would solve the problem of background noise, since you can record in an isolated environment like a studio or something similar.

If you don't know him already, check out Diego Stocco's work. He has Youtube and Vimeo accounts (along with his own website) where he uploads very cool videos about this stuff. I really recommend him if you're interested in sampling.
>>
>>58056619
Underrated toast.
>>
>>58057880
can confirm
i'm from the uk and my family tree is a circle
>>
>>58060549
Oh, I remember hearing the tree thing once. Cool that he's got other vids.

In my case the Zoom H2n is kinda gathering dust because I never go places anyway. I live in the city and it's literally never quiet enough. If I process the sounds heavily I could work with less clean source material I guess, but I just don't spot them.
>>
>>58058580
Is it Cuckoo? Also post your shit fgt.
>>
re: recording weird shit
https://vimeo.com/6191050
>>
>>58058580
>Aphex Twin ripped me off!
>I'm not telling though lol

Here's your (You)
>>
File: pic1.jpg (31KB, 500x375px) Image search: [Google]
pic1.jpg
31KB, 500x375px
>>58056555
this is our guy
>>
File: hqdefault.jpg (12KB, 480x360px) Image search: [Google]
hqdefault.jpg
12KB, 480x360px
I've had the feeling that Ceephax lurks the chans and even posts more than once.
He's my guy, at least.
>>
>>58060760
>Oh, I remember hearing the tree thing once. Cool that he's got other vids.
He doesn't only do the "making music with X samples" shtick. He also builds weird machines and instruments that make various noises/music, and has a cool tutorial on how to make music using weird IRs inside convolution reverbs to make music by adjusting the sends in real time (it's for sale but you can easily find it "for free").

>Zoom H2n
How do you find it?
I was thinking of getting a microphone for this kind of thing. Is that particular model good for tha?
>>
>>58060897
>Is that particular model good for that price range?*
>>
>>58060897
Not him but I have Tascam dr-05, pretty good recorder as well.
>>
>>58061052
Cool, I'll keep it in mind, thank you.
>>
>>58060877
haha this guy is awesome. you can hear in all of his work that he has fun.
>>
>>58057917
I came up with what I thought was a funny idea in grade school. At my funeral, they'd lower me down from wires and make my body dance while techno music played. I thought it was hilarious at the time.

Watched a Nick Swardson special around the time of Grandma Boy. He has a joke with the exact same premise:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rJKUvuVaTBk&t=2m58s

Spooky.
>>
>>58060448
>>58060395
Mind over MIDI is great too
>>
>>58056575
ayy lmao
Thread posts: 45
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.