[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

CPU temps

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 1

File: addon_cpu_250[1].gif (21KB, 250x250px) Image search: [Google]
addon_cpu_250[1].gif
21KB, 250x250px
Had to replace my motherboard recently, and my CPU temps seem to be fluctuating quite a bit in HWmonitor.

Yes I put new paste on. Should I give the paste time to settle before worrying? I've only used it for an hour or two after putting it back together, it isn't overheating or anything.
>>
>>58051483
As long as you don't have a janky stock cooler you shouldn't have any problems.

Sidenote, are there any spergy programs that take up a lot of power and random moments? that could be it.
>>
>paste settle in
This isn't a thing
>>
>>58051483

re-apply the paste, make sure you apply it right though. Here is a good video showing how to properly apply thermal paste to a CPU.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kSCVahyh3Dk
>>
Run a stress test and post results. Idle temps don't really mean anything.
>>
>>58051621
>>58051483

here is the diagnostic tool you can use to run a test on CPU temps.

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/19792/Intel-Processor-Diagnostic-Tool
>>
>>58051580
Not him but it used to be a thing back in the bad old days. You'd have to let thermal paste cure for a while. Needless to say, we've come a long way since then.
>>
>>58051757
Temps actually seem to be stable now.
>>
>>58052054
Temps will fluctuate until the whole inside of the case reaches equilibrium. It can take up to half an hour depending on how much thermal mass there is, how much heat is gererated, and how much cooling you have
>>
>>58051483

Depends on where the program is measuring and what program it is. Core temps fluctuate very rapidly whenever there is a task being crunched, which is pretty much always, so you can see >5°C increases and drops all the time, but often the programs just won't register these spikes because they don't query often enough to notice them. If it's measuring in the socket, then obviously these spikes will average out and the readings will be much more consistent.
>>
>>58051618
>too much paste
>spreads it with a card
>makes a fucking mess
>cotton gloves
>one side of the heatsink at a time, not pushing both pins in at once

tell me MSI didn't make this...
>>
>>58052507
>too much paste
Stop this meme.
>>
>>58052529

You can definitely apply too much paste and it's messy and kind of dumb, but unless it's conductive there is zero chance it'll affect anything. The pressure of the heatsink will displace all of the excess. I actually apply a little bit too much every time so that I get 100% coverage even though a tiny bit will spill out on the sides.
>>
>>58052529
this is a thing though
too much paste creates more of an insulating layer

thermal paste is just designed to bridge the gaps caused by imperfections in the surface of the cpu IHS and heatsink base
its not meant to be poured on there just to make sure theres plenty under the heatsink

if you have a layer of its thats too thick, along with making a fucking mess its going to be too thick for heat to be distributed efficiently

on top of that, too much paste may cause small air pockets to form, which while theyre obviously not visible with a cooler on, are there and are going to cause inconsistent cooling

for just covering the die on the pentium M in my t42, i used something like 1/8th of a grain of rice worth of AS5
>>
>>58052603
>You can definitely apply too much paste
Sure you can apply more than necessary, but these people think it affects cooling.
>>58052608
You really that stupid boy?
>>
>>58052608
>too much paste creates more of an insulating layer

The paste will take the path of the least resistance. After tightening, the amount that will remain between the IHS and heatsink will be constant regardless of how much you apply. You can drop a literal bucketload of it in there, and once you tighten the heatsink down then (given the same amount of torque), the layer will be exactly the same every time. The only way you can affect cooling performance is by applying too little, or getting insulating material between the surfaces (hairs, air bubbles, grease etc.)
>>
Didn't feel like making a thread for this so I figure I'd ask here.

I've noticed my mobo even when I'm under high load rarely gets that hot, I don't think I've ever seen it hit 60c under high load.

Is that normal or do some boards run super hot?
>>
>>58052773
>or getting insulating material between the surfaces (hairs, air bubbles, grease etc.)
Especially incompressible material.
>>
>>58053044
depends on what the temperature sensor is on
if its around the cpu or below it, its going to change as the cpu gets hotter
if its measuring the temperature of the vrm's, its going to change as you draw more mobo power and it gets hotter, same for the chipset
>>
>>58051618

The paste is to fill in the imperfections in the two metal surfaces. Metal conducts better than the paste, but paste much better than air.

So, use sparingly.
>>
>>58052773
The paste isn't water. It has a very high viscosity and the springs used to hold the heatsink on are not strong enough to move the paste so that you have the same final layer thickness.

Too much paste is insulating.
>>
>>58053747
>It has a very high viscosity
>the springs used to hold the heatsink on are not strong enough to move the paste

You don't understand how physics work. If the paste change its viscosity over time, which modern pastes don't, it will eventually move out of the way until a constant layer remains, regardless of the amount initially applied.
>>
>>58053781

*doesn't change
>>
>>58053747
By this logic every press in the world breaks the laws of physics.
>>
>>58051483
Just delid the mothafucka and it's off to the races
>>
temps fluctuating isnt an issue. what matters is how hot you're getting, and even then, sustained high temps are what cause damage.

just keep an eye on your temps and so long as they dont start shooting to the moon you should be fine.
Thread posts: 26
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.