[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Google Home / Amazon Echo

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 7
Thread images: 1

File: shutterstock_273962972-970x546.jpg (28KB, 970x546px) Image search: [Google]
shutterstock_273962972-970x546.jpg
28KB, 970x546px
Does anyone have one of these things?
Is there any way it can make phone calls for you?
I'd prefer it to be 'Okay google, call <address book contact name>' and it dials it from my phone and acts as a speaker phone.
Can it even initiate a voice call on my phone?

Sadly, that's probably not a feature yet of Amazon Echo / Alexa. What about the Google Home one?
>>
I have one.
I bet its possible through the IFTTT app
There is an alexa skill for "find my phone", that calls your phone, it just rings it though and there is an automated message

I doubt you could make it as easy to use as a speakerphone as you want though, maybe if you're good at programming. I think you can freely make alexa skills if you have the know-how
>>
>>58049486
No idea. The dot is shit in general and half the time requires me to legit scream at it. Its a semi decent bluetooth reciever for my speakers at least.
>>
>>58049486
Both of them are essentially glorified Bluetooth speakers.

>you already have speakers
Get one of the new Chromecast receivers. They're full on botnet, but that makes them cheap and plentiful.

>you don't have speakers or you don't want as much botnet
Something from Sonos. You're literally paying out of your ass but you're getting great home sound equipment with minimal botnet interaction (they follow a lot of Apple's philosophies, including the parts about your data and the cloud).
>>
These things are all shit, I know that. IoT is full of botnet and shit. It's all crap. Half the time the shit doesn't even work at all. T_T

The problem is that apparently the Best Buy in my area has been advertising these things saying that "It's like a personal assistant! It can even make phone calls for you! It can do anything! It can call 911 for your grandmother who's fallen and can't get up!'

These are all basically (or completely) false, but people keep calling us to 'install' these things when they buy them. (Because of course they come with no instructions, and people don't read anyways...)

So we go out there, connect the thing to their wifi, sign it in to their whatever accounts.
Then they go "But why can't I <thing here>, Best Buy told me I could!"
"Because it doesn't do that..."
"Just make it work!"
--__--... "Have a nice day Ma'am..."

I figured I'd ask if anyone knew of a decent way to get these things to do the commonly asked 'I want to use it to voice dial with my phone!'
This is of course, not a feature of the Echo, and apparently afaik not Google Home either. Google Home apparently at least PLANS to be able to have it make phone calls eventually, according to random bullshit tech sites.
>>
>>58049613
I saw the IFTTT app thing, which gets it almost to the point where you can get it to do stuff... but yeah, no voice dial, no native phone calling.
>>
>>58050534
Just tell her, "shut the fuck up grandma and remember to speak clearly into it so the marketers can use your data."
Thread posts: 7
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.