[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Virtualized gaming?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 7
Thread images: 2

File: nvidia-quadro-k5000.jpg (18KB, 355x355px) Image search: [Google]
nvidia-quadro-k5000.jpg
18KB, 355x355px
Hey /g/, wondering what the viability was of buying a used virtualization server such as a Dell PowerEdge R710, and linking it with an external graphics processing unit such as a Nvidia Quadro Plex 2200 S4 (4 FX5800 cards).

The total cost for this would be around $600, which is much cheaper than any comparable pc build i've been able to come up with.

I dont have a lot of experience with servers, so pardon me if the idea using these servers as a desktop, especially for gaming, is too poorfag.
>>
>>58049126
Nearly impossible i'm afraid those are direct x 10 ards and I doubt that you'd be able to just passthrough that Quadro Plex station without an issue to the VM.
>>
>>58049126
Hyper-V on 2012 R2 or 2016 would be ideal. RemoteFX works alright now if you know what you're doing.

Virtualization overhead isn't really a big deal anymore on modernish hardware. Just don't use SR-IOV for the NIC and you will be fine for most games that aren't cutting edge.
>>
>>58049126
>which is much cheaper than any comparable pc build i've been able to come up with.
Lol, no. Westmere (if you are smart enough to buy a 710 with Westmere processors) processors that you can't even overclock will not be good for playing games, never mind the ancient FX5800s. Using a rackmount machine for a desktop is also the height of stupidity.
>>
>>58051827
>Using a rackmount machine for a desktop is also the height of stupidity
Sounds like you've never worked in environments where you have to installed security cabinets at every workstation to comply with physical security requirements.
>>
>>58052352
Yes, because OP is obviously a business with security requirements.

Come on, stop trying to look smart and look at context.
>>
File: MOOTSAD.jpg (7KB, 250x199px) Image search: [Google]
MOOTSAD.jpg
7KB, 250x199px
710s are still 2/3 of my corporate server VM environment and /g/tards are salvaging them for cheap gaymen boxes.
Thread posts: 7
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.