[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

a dial up challenge

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 2

my grandparents are stubborn about the internet, they don't want to pay for it. at the same time, they live a few humdred kilometres away but still want to see photos of their great-grandkid.

they are also pretty terrible with computers.

the missus uses Tinybeans for photosharing.

I've recently just setup a dial in server for them so that they can get free internet. only problem is it will be slow for image sharing and the Tinybeans site is not coded for dial up connections, everyone has fat pipes amirite?

I'm trying to figure out if there is a way I can have their computer dial into mine late at night, access the Tinybeans website and then have a local cached copy ready for them in the morning when they get up and have a look.

other options that I have been considering include:
- BitTorrent Sync, I'd save the images shared on Tinybeans to my PC, have theirs dial in and sync them over, then they access them (or I setup a slideshow to display them)
- I build a PHP slideshow on my PC, BitTorrent Sync or rsync it to theirs at night, they then have a local webserver running to view the slideshow and they just click a shortcut on the desktop

I've been trying to automate as much as I can, they are a bit forgetful, I'd love to set it up so that they click one or two buttons on the computer and the photos just start scrolling through.

any suggestions?
>>
Have you tried mail? Who cares lel
>>
Once a day, direct satellite transfer
>>
>>58042225
Isn't phone is more expensive than Internet connection?
>>
>>58042287
>mail

this
>>
>>58042287
This.
>>
>>58042710

you have to be 18 to post here anon
>>
>>58042225
Mail them a USB stick
>>
>>58042721
>implying implications
Kirby you're selve, my man.
We had cheap area unlimited phone calls 12 years ago. Now it is not, and even mobile access to the Internet manages to be cheaper than phone calls.
I am genuinely curious what's happening in OP's area, and that's why I ask about it.
>>
File: old-photos.jpg (229KB, 425x282px) Image search: [Google]
old-photos.jpg
229KB, 425x282px
>>58042225
>print your stupid photos
>mail them to your useless grandparents
>???
>they profit
>>
>>58042225
Instead of dial up I'd go with a cheap SIM card that has a 3G/4G data plan, like 100-200MB. Connect it to a phone, raspberry pi or some device like that which will be present in their computer network at all times. Point the PC's browser homepage to a webserver on the Rpi.
>>
>>58043561
This. They don't want to look at a fucking screen to see your pictures. Give them what they want.
Thread posts: 12
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.