[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Latex

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 59
Thread images: 4

File: latex.png (37KB, 1862x892px) Image search: [Google]
latex.png
37KB, 1862x892px
Why should I use Latex over anything else?
>>
You can notate math pretty easily and make functions. It really depends what youre using it for.
>>
>>58038947
If you don't know of anything to use it for, you shouldn't.
>>
>>58038947
You can actually open a new file and not have to edit anything besides what you're writing
you can control your editing environment much easier, since it's a fucking text editor
>>
>>58038947
Because Word is for plebs.
>>
>>58039012
That's a terrible argument
It's just shit, impossible to edit without massive frustration
>>
>>58038947
I found it pretty easy to use, specially if you write documents with lots of pages. It maintains a style throughout the document with a simple configuration at the start.
Word fucks up horribly sometimes, like adding one line or moving an image and the whole document gets fucked. I tried Libreoffice but it crashed too often.

You can also download templates and modify them, if you want. I'm using it with TeXstudio, it works fine.
>>
>>58038947
It's the only typesetting system whose output doesn't look like total garbage.

Though I recommend using Lyx instead. It has a more conventional workflow (semi-WYSIWYG), and uses latex as the backend.
>>
>>58038947
you can do anything in latex, why use anything else? also, its faster, than right clicking your way on type setting
>>
because presentation should always be separate from writing

I don't know about you, but I've frequently seen the formatting of word processing documents change depending upon which computer I'm on. That's absolutely unacceptable.
>>
File: SileIsBestSile.png (10KB, 300x169px) Image search: [Google]
SileIsBestSile.png
10KB, 300x169px
>>58038947
Because Sile is arguably better than Latex. People just have to start writing packages for it. Until Sile's functionality has been extended, however, Latex is to be prefered.
>>
>>58040447
>Lyx
>using Latex for dummies
>not spending literally a couple of days to master Latex
>>
>>58040938
>Fedora
>using Arch for dummies
>not spending literally a couple of days to master Arch
>>
>>58038947
If you don't know why then you probably shouldn't but let me enlighten you.
LaTeX shines when it comes to:
many pages
formulas are easy to write and you can type up literally everything and it looks the way you want it to.
placement of figures
looking pretty - how something is presented matters a lot towards how it is perceived.

The hardest part is IMO to find a template you like.
>>
>>58041022
also you are forgertting

-Speeds up your workflow
-Superb at managing bibliography and references
-Retad mentors proof ("ugh i dont like this, this is wrong change it in all the document"), you do it by just one command saving lots of time
-Perfect for writing serious thesis, articles, and reports

Also if the place/mentor you are working with is using word you should GTFO ASAP.

with sharelatex or overleaf, you can work at the same time with multiple people at the same TEX document.

There is literally no excuse to not be using LaTeX these days
>>
>>58038947
Latex is great if you write papers or big documents, because it has a consistent look, is easy to format and has a great math environment. You can add Text sources, table of contents, ..., really easy and if you write a style class once you can use the same style on different documents.

Only tables and and special characters like è,ä,ö are sometimes a problem.
>>
I used it for my dissertation and it was useful as fuck for organising everything
>>
>>58040938
>mastering latex in a couple of days
>>
>>58040853
thank you for pointing that out, it's interesting. Too bad it seems to use Latex's syntax, which is one of my biggest gripes with Latex. I think it's clunky and ugly.
>>
You shouldn't. I went through a latex phase during my engineering degree, but honestly it's not worth it.

I enjoyed fiddling with every tiny aspect of my reports to make them perfect in terms of aesthetics. I got into typesetting and fonts and learned all the rules of thumb etc.

But then I realised that it's not making my reports better. Spend that time actually writing decent reports instead.
>>
>>58041215
Obviously you should spend more time writing a good report rather than playing with how it looks but Latex makes it easier imo
>>
>>58041233
There's no way anyone can say writing a report is easier in latex than in word. In word you literally just open the Program and start typing your report. in latex you have to at the very least paste in the document info bit.

The only thing latex makes easier is keeping track of figures and references. But only then it depends on what latex writer you're using, I used to use sublime which have a drop down menu of all the figures/references which made it super easy. But not all latex writers offer that feature.
>>
>>58041286
its easier if you already made your own template or if you have one available, if you are going to make one from scratch it might take you more time, but once you have it, you just fly
>>
Why not use markdown? Unless you're using it specifically to write large reports that contain citations, bibliography and equations, markdown seems adequate.
>>
>>58038947
I write all my papers with LaTex. Also when I write manuals that I don't want my normie coworkers to edit I use LaTex.
>>
>>58041580
also regarding >>58041286 wysiwyg-editors are easier if you write normie shit, yes.
>>
TeXStudio: Non-normie eye-cancer edition
>>
>>58038947
>Why should I use Latex over anything else?
A typesetting system for academic settings is a poor choice as an DAW.
>>
>>58041519
Some flavours of markdown don't support mathjax/tex-like formulas. I found outputting to pdf unreliable (often messes with inline maths) and there isn't as much control over how the documents look.

I'm currently doing an online course. Typically I'd just use a pen and paper but as there are lots of equations and code sytnax I thought I'd try taking notes on my computer. There were too many limitations with markdown so I tried LaTeX. Within a few hours I had a nice, simple looking document which is set up for all the notes I take in the future.

It's a great shame I never used it when I was in university. I imagine if my course was maths-oriented I'd have been forced to, but I still have nightmares over wresting with libreoffice writer for it to properly format my papers.

I'm liking vim with the live LaTeX preview currently, although vim does some strange things with auto-indentation in tex files sometimes.
>>
>>58041637
Der dude ist Deutsch, isch schwör!
>>
>>58041068
Yup. All points true. Was forgetting some things. You and I probably still are.

For anything over a few pages I always go by LaTeX. For writing up a short document or keywords I still hit up either LibreOffice or simple text editor like gedit.
>>
>>58041721
Shit, was hat mich verraten?
>>
>>58041798
The awful icons
>>
>>58041637
Dein Deutsch... Jesus Maria. Wie ein Grundschüler.
>>
I ended up using markdown+pandoc for majority of documents
One thing I struggle with when using Latex is finding a decent template...any anon suggesting a good source of those to download and try?
>>
>>58038947
Yes, use LyX though
>>
its a meme. the people who use it have the same mentatlity as arch linux users.

they think they're special for using something thats command line and out of the norm

Just use word kek
>>
>>58044715
>Latex
>The standard when it comes to serious work be it in engineering, math, academia in general
>out of the norm
Pajeet pls.
>>
>>58038947
More control, git friendly, comfy for people with programming experience, being able to automatize certain things. Just MHO.
>>
>>58038947
Because Latex makes everything easier if you know how to use it. It has a learning curve, but when you know it you can use it to make beautiful documents with very little hassle and without worrying about details.
>>
>design being mentioned
Fucking kek latex is utter shit compared to the functionality that InDesign offers
>>
>>58045681
unless your publication spans more than 2 pages
>>
>>58039021
>gets frustrated with simple LaTeX
heheh, you're funny
>>
>>58038947
It looks pretty

That's pretty much it
>>
This >>58041215

I have been supervising thesis in the university, students spend more time in writing the document in LaTeX than focusing on the problem they are writting about.

People think they can write anything on it and get published.
>>
>>58038947
Do you want your work to be taken seriously at engineering and science? Use Latex.

It's easy to learn too. Once you've made your first document, the rest are just copying and pasting the same structures.
>>
>>58038947
Markdown + pandoc with a latex template + yaml header = ultra comfy.

Still forced to write my latex functions on it thought
>>
>>58046791
Maybe your students are new at it, or else dumbass hipsters. I have templates for my common layouts, and when making another similar thing it's a matter of copy+paste and get down to writing. Shit isn't hard once you know it.
>>
>>58038947
Because there IS nothing else.
>>
>>58046361
reading comprehension
>>
File: 1208100040772.jpg (19KB, 389x450px) Image search: [Google]
1208100040772.jpg
19KB, 389x450px
>>58038947
>Why should I use Latex over anything else?
If only you knew the pain of trying to use Word 2003's formula editor...
>>
>>58038947
It's pretty. I haven't had a need to use LaTeX lately, but that's also because I've been out of school for a few years.
>>
>>58038947
why is the x silent?
>>
"la-tec"
>>
>>58047731
Do you use default latex template shipped with pandoc or you've found other alternatives? Care to share in that case the source where you've found it?
>>
>>58048928
I just say latex
>>
>>58049020
Just build one up over time, it's what I did
>>
>>58049477
Me too, it insta-triggers autists as well
>>
>>58048623
I prounce it as a k... 'latek'

Anyone else sometimes get bored and go to image search when looking up LaTaX commands? 'latex + whatever' usually yields some interesting results...
Thread posts: 59
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.