[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Music Tech Thread

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 39
Thread images: 4

File: jhgfdsasdfgh.jpg (86KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
jhgfdsasdfgh.jpg
86KB, 1280x720px
Previous thread

>>58026486
>weighted versus non weighted keyboards
>Max
>traveling with keyboards: is there such thing as a carry-on keyboard?
>VSTs
>Analog synthesizers

Let's go. /mu/ doesn't know its arse from its elbow as far as music tech is concerned.
>>
/g/ doesn't know its arse from it's elbow as far as anything is concerned...
>>
>non weighted unless you actually play pianos
>as many keys as you need at one time
>yes they're just small and "low-key" (tears of joy emoji plus a ok hand gesture)
>VSTs are cool
>analog synthesizers are cooler (I used to have a Yamaha dx7? Fm7? I don't remember the name)
>>
>>58038833
>dx7
>analog
>>
>>58038833
non-weighted keys are fucking trash
also probably the dx7
>>
>>58038864
Analog or not it's sound bank was beast, I remember it was a rack synthesizer though, and it did have normal analog oscillator controls but maybe that was just some digital jewery
>>
>>58038865
Semiweighted is better, but I don't wanna feel like a 2 pound hammer is at the other end of my key
>>
>>58038637
>Midi controller + VSTs
The rig of 2016
>>
>>58039104
>$30 click clack + computer you already own
>>
Using a Mininova to learn synthesis and piano. Fun times.

I really want a SY-77 or a TG-77.
>>
File: Kawai+VPC1-1[1].jpg (271KB, 1600x1200px) Image search: [Google]
Kawai+VPC1-1[1].jpg
271KB, 1600x1200px
Used a Kawai vpc-1 piano controller with Ravenscroft 275 vst and it was the most beautiful piano playing experience i've ever had. Only reason I sold the Kawai is because I got a real piano, the grand piano I posted in the other thread. I still use the vst though, its very good.

The Kawai is nice as FUCK, I loved that keybed. Its hella classy looking too
>>
What digital piano would you recommend to buy to a completely beginner like me? I'm learning how to play the piano.
>>
I bought a P105 to use for learning piano and now it's wasting away because these books I picked up are garbage. What's the best way to learn?
>>
>>58039393
all the casio privia pianos are good products for the money. there are different models for different budgets. Korg also makes great pianos and they tend not to be grossly overpriced

Get a decent stand that doesn't obstruct the knees (x stands are shitty). and a good pedal that wont creep away from you.
>>
Does anybody here do low-level audio programming?

I'm confused about best practices with regards to polyphony.

If I have multiple pthreads running, each playing a note/sample, are they supposed to be writing to individual instances of a file pointer to /dev/dsp, or should I have something mixing them together before sending a single stream of IO to the soundcard?

I'm running into performance issues with the former, but the OSS manual says that I shouldn't do the latter.
>>
>>58038918
>DX7
>rack synthesizer
>analog oscillator

nigga what
>>
>>58039172
I got a TG77 for $20 because its screen is faded out.

I keep telling myself I'll just write MIDI bindings for it, but it's been sitting on my shelf for well over a year now.
>>
Is there some way to record/produce music in a t420? Since the jack thing is all fucked up
>>
>>58039406
I learned through lessons the expensive way and it worked

I would think you could just learn the basics of chord construction and play all your favorite songs half-assedly using "guitar chords" you found on the internet.
chord construction can be approached many ways, I find many adults learn better by approaching it mathematically
>>
>>58038637
>traveling with keyboards: is there such thing as a carry-on keyboard?
Yamaha Reface
>>
There any good cheap midi keyboards for computers? always wanted to dick around with one but never really had the drive to find one as id always be looking at several thousand dollars.
>>
>>58039468
you just need a working usb port for an audio interface
>>
File: shopping[1].jpg (46KB, 800x800px) Image search: [Google]
shopping[1].jpg
46KB, 800x800px
>>58039477
this thing costs $80 and its got keys and pads and knobs and shit, all programmable.

for half that you can get basic key input

for twice that you can get the all the bells and whistles.

the expensive ones are usually expensive because they have more complicated and higher quality keybeds. the actual piano keys.
>>
my korg monologue is arriving tomorrow!
>>
>>58039422
Thanks, I will check them.

>and a good pedal that wont creep away from you
What do you mean? The one that is already included in a piano is no good?
>>
File: pedal_1_display[1].jpg (37KB, 600x273px) Image search: [Google]
pedal_1_display[1].jpg
37KB, 600x273px
>>58039547
depends on what piano you get. a lot of cheaper pianos come with a pedal that looks like the footswitch on the left. if you ask me that shit is no good, but it does work. If you never actually play an acoustic piano it might never matter

the cheaper keyboards tend to have a footswitch with two positions, up and down. the footswitch works fine enough for that i guess.

decent pianos will have a half pedal position. and would accept a pedal with that can half pedal. imho that adds a lot of realism.
>>
>>58039290
How is the action on the Kawai compared to the grand piano?
>>
>>58039848
as good. possible even better to be honest. The Kawai had a very crisp and distinct bump at the bottom of the key stroke and it felt really really good. my Hailun piano has the same bump but its more subtle and not exactly the same across the keybed, even after being regulated. The kawai feels like a professionally regulated concert grand. I think the key weighting is heavier than most acoustic pianos too, as with many other high end keyboards on the market. I'm ok with it, it feels more controllable to me, but I think manufacturers are starting to get carried away with the weighted keys

The pedal unit however is not very good. its a triple pedal unit, which is nice. but the sustain pedal has a different mechanism than the other two, it feels more like a fader, with some resistance. it also sends signals like a fader. Its nice that I can sustain with 127 degrees of resolution but it feels sluggish and wrong. mine also squeaked and wouldn't stop squeaking even after lubrication.
>>
>>58040007
I think you mentioned that some weighted keyboards that have ~76 keys in the last thread.

Any idea what brands to look for? I'm looking to trim off any weight I can, while still retaining the weighted keys.
>>
>>58040186
why do you need it to be light? whats your budget?

most guys i've seen can carry around a pretty heavy 88 key board by themselves. at least between the car and their setup. they're difficult as fuck to negotiate around corners but whatev'
>>
>>58040291
I'll likely be checking it in as a second bag, which costs extra by weight.
If It can find one short enough to fit in a suitcase, I'll do exactly that.
Lastly, I like baroque music, which was composed in days of shorter keyboards (~61 keys).
>>
>>58040328
Oh, and up to $500. Used is fine.
>>
>>58040328
>I like baroque music
who's your favourite baroque composer, anon
>>
>>58040338
Bach, but I'll probably play something more straightforward, like Scarlatti.
>>
>>58040328
harpsichords at least have very light key feel
and organs keys are more akin to synth keys.
I would think you be fine without worrying about finding one with weighted keys.

my 61 key keyboard is 33 inches from key to key, you'd have to add an inch at least for the case. just for suitcase references.
>>
looking for an inexpensive USB midi controller. something less than 100 dollars that won't shit the bed

I don't want one of the tiny ones. i need enough room to actually play on it, a few octaves at least

i don't need any fancy features, will only be using it to put notes onto computer

what's my best choice. I was looking at the m audio 49 II but it just seems like such a fucking ripoff to pay ~100 bucks
>>
>>58040398
While this is a good point, if people can handle Liszt on piano keys, I think I'll manage Scarlatti if I only slow down a little bit. Plus, I want to be able to handle acoustic pianos when I come across them. I like to improvise.
>>
Logic Pro X is the best DAW.
>>
What are the after-christmas sales like on this kind of stuff?
Thread posts: 39
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.