[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Used technology

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 9
Thread images: 2

File: Cobweb_Computer_thumb5[1].jpg (41KB, 484x334px) Image search: [Google]
Cobweb_Computer_thumb5[1].jpg
41KB, 484x334px
Do you buy your desired technology on its release day or do you wait until someone decides to upgrade and nab the used goods on ebay or the equivalent for cheap? Pros? Cons? Stories?
>>
used or chinked if possible. its about the hunt.
>>
>>58010052
I got the gtx 260 for 15 bucks, it is tested and it's a bargain

I will not be spending thousands of dollars in something I have to upgrade the next years
>>
>>58010052
Buying things on release day is the most retarded thing you can possible. On release day, things are guaranteed to suffer from

>overhype
>overpricing
>buggy, incompatible with existing hardware
>lack of adequate/unbiased benchmarks and measurements
>lack of knowledge about flaws and how to cope with them

Give tech some time to mature so other idiots and early adopters can work out all the kinks and figure out all of the flaws for you. Then buy it once you have a better idea of everything wrong with the product.

Plus, price of new tech drops quickly. Even just a year can cut a price tag in half. IMO it's not so much about the price as it is about knowing which products are a piece of shit, though.
>>
>>58010052
Depends on the situation / purpose.
I never buy day one because I don't like to be a guinea pig, but I will buy stuff new after a while if it looks worth it and I can afford it without trouble.
Main rationale for buying new is that I:
- Don't have to spend time lurking websites until I see a good deal
- Don't have to deal with idiots
- Don't have to waste time to meet the person to check for defects and damages
- Have full warranty/support on the item
In general, if I have to spend hours and deal with idiots who can't understand how paypal works over email to save 20% or less I usually just buy new.

That said there are plenty of stuff I buy used (mostly tech like consoles, wacom tablets, even my current keyboard).
My biggest scores were:
- 200 eur Tektronix Oscilloscope TDS-210 (old, but digital and recently calibrated)
- 150 eur Wacom Intuos4 Medium (Wide A4 / Almost A3 size)
- 15 eur (10+s&h) PSP 1000
>>
File: 1399761973080.jpg (31KB, 400x388px) Image search: [Google]
1399761973080.jpg
31KB, 400x388px
>>58010052
I always buy used. To be frank, it isn't the 90's anymore. Provided that modern components are not physically abused, they will last you for quite some time.

Not to mention that there is always SOMETHING new coming out, so you have a bunch of people with perfectly good hardware looking to get rid of it because they want the latest and greatest.

The downside is that (most of the time) the warranty is expired/non-transferrable, so if something does break then you are forced to buy a new one.

Personally, all the used stuff I've gotten has been great. I have had a few mishaps where the idiot packaged something incorrectly (literally just threw a motherboard in a box without any protection, still worked though), but the risk is so much less than the reward if you exercise caution.

That being said, I probably will buy a Zen chip new from AMD. I'd like to give them my business and take a tiny piece of market share away from intel.
>>
>>58014053
My nigga! Doing the same thing with the ZEN if it proves to be any improvement at all over the i5 6600k I got to replace my horribly aged Phenom 955BE. And by selling the i5 and mobo I'll be the one fueling someone elses used goods hunt.
Still want to get a good gayman GPU but I'm torn between grabbing a 1080, dual 480's, waiting for the vega and hunting for a last-gen enthusiast GPU. Decisions decisions...
>>
>>58010052
used
nvidia richfags get rid of their old cards at an absurdly low price
stuff like GTX 670 or 970 can be found at comical prices
u have to be careful tho..
>>
>>58012461
In terms of used, my biggest score was a pair of Xeon E5 2670s for 70€ each, retail price was well over 1000€ and they're still as good as new.
Thread posts: 9
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.