[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

>Programming test on college >Need to write down code on

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 62
Thread images: 3

File: 1446918368200.png (84KB, 436x425px) Image search: [Google]
1446918368200.png
84KB, 436x425px
>Programming test on college
>Need to write down code on paper using a pencil

REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE
>>
>Chemistry test on college
>Need to write down formulae on paper using a pencil

REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE
>>
>>58006088
is it that natural to write
>>
>>58006173
UNnatural*
>>
>>58006088
>math test on college
>need to write down equations on paper using a pencil

REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE
>>
>>58006088
forcing you to write it down on paper really makes you think
>>
>>58006173
HOW CAN I DEBUG USING PAPER
>>
>>58006233
You don't because the teacher won't either. He's not going to type in your code to see if it works. As long as it "looks" working then you'll get full credit usually...
>>
>>58006233
>he can't perfectly emulate computer hardware in his mind
Your H1 visa is gonna run out soon, better go back to India.
>>
>>58006088
What the fuck do you think you'll be doing in job interviews you fucking idiot? Get used to writing code by hand kid.
>>
>>58006261
>>58006275
>>58006284

>Forgets ;
>Gets an F
>>
>>58006233
how bad do you have to be that you can't program on paper. these test usually cover only like simple algorithms like sorting algorithms anyway, it's not like you have to write your own kernel right there.

If you can't program on paper then you're toast.
>>
>>58006381
On a college test, I would dock marks for forgetting a ";" but not give an F. If your program was otherwise fine and you only forgot a single ";" you can expect to get 9/10.
>>
>college test
>have to write code on paper
>write the whole thing in binary
Joke's on you, teach.
>>
>>58006381
I mean if you can't remember to put a simple little detail that makes something actually work you've probably just been copy-pasting from stackexchange the whole time rather than actually understanding the inner workings of the language in question
>>
i want to ree too

reeeee
>>
>>58006446
thats really shitty actually
>>
>>58006446
Yep, English class TA here, if I happen to notice an undotted i or uncrossed t, 10/10 4 page essay becomes 9/10.
>>
>>58006544
Why?
>>
>not calling it GNU/paper
>>
>>58006632
What are you marking the test for? Answering the question or syntax you dumb cunt?
>>
>>58006740
If you forget something as simple as a semicolon then all you have to do is fucking add it you inbred

Forgetting it and trying to make it compile the first time around is going to cause problems and docking one point isn't going to hurt you in any way.
>>
File: no gods or kings.png (1MB, 1000x699px) Image search: [Google]
no gods or kings.png
1MB, 1000x699px
>hacking physical reality
>>
>>58006507
'1' != 1
>>
>>58006740
>What are you marking the test for?
The syntax is part of answering the question.

My professor in uni was strict. He said: "If your code compiles without error, and does what it is supposed to do, you get full marks. If it compiles without error, but there are mistakes in the logic, your mark will be proportional to how well your program does its job. If your program does 4/5 tasks, you get 8/10. If your code does not compile, you lose 50% of the grade on the spot, and then your program is graded on how well it does its job."

I give 9/10, because I am a nice guy. My professor would give 5/10 for a single missed semicolon in an otherwise perfect program.
>>
>>58006173
>>58006190
It fucking sucks compared to typing

I guess I never really learned to "write" properly or something, I don't know, but it's infinitely more convenient and less painful to type instead of write
>>
>>58006446
>lose 10% for a single fucking ;
"no"
>>
File: panic-button.jpg (20KB, 600x300px) Image search: [Google]
panic-button.jpg
20KB, 600x300px
>>58006088
>Travel all the way from India to get job as web designer
>Go to interview
>They expect me to create a website without WordPress or stackexchange
>>
>>58006381
This has never happened once in the history of mankind.
>>
>>58006590
You're full of shit.
No university worth its salt would accept non typed essays from its students.
>>
>>58006381
>>58006826
It's a good thing that this isn't how written programming tests are graded.
>>
rooooo
>>
>>58006791
It's gotta be possible, I really don't understand how but I know it's possible. Do you have any idea? Is our simulation really sandboxed? Can't we generate and execute shellcode of the universe?
>>
>>58007548

>shellcode of the universe
read liber null
>>
I actually had a test where I had to write an algorithm on scratch.
Pseudocore? Fine. Fluxograms? Ok, whatever. xlanguage? Bring it. But scratch? omfg... I spent almost two hours to make a prime number generator on scratch when I wrote it in python and pseudocode in 2 minutes ffs.
>>
>>58006233

>on /g/
>never heard of desk check
>>
>>58006088
>Live in poo-land
>always been interested in computers so taught myself C, socket programming, serial programming and basic graphics, plus using AVRs and 8052s because microcontrollers are fucking cool
>join college in an IT course
>all classmates are retards with 0 interest in computers except video games
>sat for algorithms exam (written test obviously)
>had to write an algorithm and pseudocode for bubble sort and other babby tier stuff
>ace the fucking test
>ff 15 days, I fail the exam
>meet the professor, he says my pseudocode is incorrect
>explain the whole code right to him line by line
>mfw the professor refused to give me marks for the pseudocode in every question because I did not use Pascal syntax like I was taught in class and used C instead
>mfw faggots who rote learned the pseudocode and the whole algorithm passed with great make, while I failed

And that is when i lost all my confidence in the staff of the college.
>>
>>58007584
I don't care about some looney's bullshit.
>>
>>58007746
drop out
>>
>>58007746
Keep your interest in programming. College/university professors are notoriously bad when it comes to teaching or grading programming. You will do better after graduating.
>>
>what.cd is down
>only private tracker you were apart of
>donated, had a ratio of 1.02, downloaded 150+gb of music
>back to being stranded
>ask for help in the facebook group
>get told to go to irc
>go to pth irc
>no proof, no invite

should I just kill myself now?
>>
>>58007905
What.cs is down, therefore suicide? Why?
>>
>>58007746
>>mfw the professor refused to give me marks for the pseudocode in every question because I did not use Pascal syntax like I was taught in class and used C instead

Wait what
Wtf... Pseudocode is supposed to be syntax-independent. Unless I'm getting this wrong, joke's on you, retard.
>>
>>58007952
>Wtf... Pseudocode is supposed to be syntax-independent
That's what it's supposed to be but guess nobody told my professor. Sucks to be me right now
>>
>>58007985
Can you not take it up with the dean?
>>
Holy fuck are you at UHH?
>>
>>58008016
yes
>>
>>58007985
No no no no. In pseudocode you don't write any language specific syntax. In your case you shouldn't use any Pascal-specific syntax, instead you should have used the common syntax for pseudocode which is fairly standard or even better and wrote the pseudocode in full english which is also acceptable. I don't understand why he said you should have used C syntax, tho. Unless he was asking for you to write a program in C that makes no sense to me. Just my 2 cents.
>>
>>58008024
Then you know that test was free shut the fuck up and go back to India pajeet.
>>
>>58006088
>having to program without tab completion
they just want you to experience the full, pure pain of using enterprise Java and appreciate languages like Haskell more
>>
>>58006214
>writing on paper test on college
>need to write down writing on paper using a pencil

REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE
>>
>>58008026
Exactly, in pseudocode you do not write any language specific syntax, it can be anything as long as it explains the step by step process for solving a problem.
I wrote the pseudocode in a C-like syntax (since I am more fluent with C), but the professor expected a more Pascal-like syntax (a taught in class). Because of this difference he did not give me marks for the pseudocode
>>
>>58006446
What if the language's only operators are various lengh strings of semicolons?
>>
>>58008076
Then it will not be taught at university.
>>
>>58007905
>>>/g/ptg
>>
>>58008026
Pascal syntax was what the profesor asked, ok? You seem to have mixed things up a bit.
>>
>>58008075
If what you are saying is true, this should be a non-issue unless the professor asked very clearly for it to be like he wants it to be. Go talk to someone higher-up than him.
>>
>>58008075
Can you write a very simple program's pseudocode in both c-style and pascal-style, so we can look?

I did not know pseudocode came in "styles". I see pseudocode like >>58007952 does.
>>
>>58008187
It can come, if you've ever seen cormen et al pseudo-code, it is C-ish
>>
>>58008139
oh yeah, I mixed it up.
>>
>>58008187
This. Write some pseudo code that simulates rolling a pair of six sided dice and keeps track of how many times each die rolls what, and their sum. Prompt the user to enter the number of trials this is to be carried out.
>>
My professor explained to me that an IDE will point out the mistakes until the programmer fixed it, if he knew what hr was doing, and thats why he asked for written codes. To make sure people understood and was studying (I even failed two exams from him and he knew I wasnt studying).

Its fine by me. I do keep an habit of writing codes on a notebook I have to practice and test myself, solutions 'n shit.
Thread posts: 62
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.