[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Arista beats Cisco’s $335M copyright claim with an unusual defense

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 4

File: 1452402765424.png (215KB, 393x374px) Image search: [Google]
1452402765424.png
215KB, 393x374px
>In a lawsuit filed in 2014, Cisco accused Arista of violating copyright because Arista's high-end switching equipment used some of the same commands from Cisco's Command Line Interface, or CLI. Arista lawyers claimed that the CLI was an industry standard, promoted by Cisco, and that now Cisco was trying to change the rules because of Arista's success.

>During closing arguments, Arista's lawyer Robert Van Nest described Cisco's CLI as using simple, uncreative phrases, according to a report in Law360. He called the commands unoriginal and noted that they were based on 40-year-old technology from older systems. By finding in favor of a "scènes à faire" defense, the jury has shown that those arguments, questioning the creativity behind CLI, had a strong effect.

http://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/2016/12/jury-clears-arista-of-ciscos-335m-copyright-claim/
>>
Wait so the program was literally called CLI? I don't understand.
>>
Good fuck those kikes
>>
>>58004801
Just using the same commands as Cisco's CLI.
>>
File: 1451277946631.jpg (488KB, 3055x2288px) Image search: [Google]
1451277946631.jpg
488KB, 3055x2288px
>>58004761
Loonix and Stallmanstein BTFO!
>>
>>58004761
>copyright

Shouldn't it be a patent, not a copyright? Or did they not patent it so they're grasping at straws?
>>
>>58004761
It honestly makes sense

I always thought this stuff wasn't covered by copyright along with programming languages
>>
>>58004761
>suing over CLI command names
lel
>>
>>58004954
>Shouldn't it be a patent, not a copyright?
It is both

http://www.enterprisenetworkingplanet.com/datacenter/cisco-arista-patent-dispute.html
>Exacerbating the claims were Cisco's copyright-infringement allegations; Chandler pointed out that Arista had allegedly lifted "[e]ntire sections of [Cisco's] user manuals, complete with grammatical errors," and put them in Arista's own product documentation.
>>
A lot of large tech companies make a living out of sueing random parties. Especially Oracle is guilty of this. But also Getty Images.
>>
>>58005056
Well, I guess they could sue for the instruction manual copyright infringement then. Not sure what they could actually prove from that in terms of damages though. Not like the manuals were the selling point of the devices.
>>
>>58004761
Cisco are Temple of Solomon tier kikes, but Arista definitely got lucky with their knockoff management interface that they've been flaunting since they started.

I don't agree that APIs and command line program names/syntax should be copyrightable, but Arista are shady fucks who aren't exactly in the right here either.
>>
>>58005116
>Cisco are Temple of Solomon tier kikes,
I submitted an source code request under the GPL to them a few days ago. It took ages to get its way through TAC and now they want 2 weeks to find where their source code is.
>>
>>58005155
A copy of all the emails
8ch SPAMFILTER net/tech/res/687669.html
>>
>>58005222
Good job anon. I work for a Cisco Gold partner and I'm almost tempted to try helping you.
>>
>>58006878
can you get me IOS images?
>>
>>58006930
No, but if you just need them for GNS3, I think they're pretty easy to find on torrents.
>>
>>58007099
>No, but if you just need them for GNS3,
No, I need them for actual hardware. Mine are recent enough, just not the latest.
>>
>>58004942
I heard that laugh of hers when I opened that image.
>>
File: 1475211601796.png (404KB, 853x480px) Image search: [Google]
1475211601796.png
404KB, 853x480px
>>58004761
stocking a best
Thread posts: 20
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.