[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Stirling engine

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 30
Thread images: 3

File: stirlingG.gif (8KB, 200x306px) Image search: [Google]
stirlingG.gif
8KB, 200x306px
So.

I've been thinking.

Those Stirling engines, comrades. All you need to make them work is some hot areas and cold areas. And generally it's relatively easy to find areas that are constatnly have a difference in temperature.

So.

When you build your house, you insert a lot of those engines inside of the wall that gets most of the sunlight, In summer it's always less hot inside than outside, and in winter it's warmer inside. And if you live in Siberia, during winter it's... БЛЯДЬ, ИBAH, ЗABOДИ ДEЛOPИAH, У HAC 1.21 ГИГABATT, HAХУЙ!

So, where am I wrong?
>>
In this example, you would be using the warmth from your home to power it, which doesn't really make sense. It would indeed work if you could find some geothermal source. The thing is, it doesn't just need a cold and hot area, it actively pumps heat from the hot area to the cold area.
>>
>>57981359
But people wanted to install them on submarines. How would it work? Would it freeze the crew to death?
>>
>>57981408
The ocean gets super hot the deeper you go because you're drifting closer to the open magma barrier. People just don't talk about it a lot because they don't want the secret getting out.
>>
>>57981408
Engine heat probs
>>
>>57981458
I seriously doubt that submarines are capable to get that close to the ocean floor.
>>
>>57981509
That's what they want you to think.
>>
>>57981528
Дoн'т фopгeт тy пyт oн йoyp тинфoил хэт, кoвбoй.
>>
>>57981509
Some submersibles are built for deep sea exploration, but they are tiny af and expensive. They Can't be massive penises because they would crush underneath all that weight.
>>
>>57981408
in a normal stirling engine there is a constantly burning flame, something like paraffin, in the bridge between the hot and cold cylinders. This provides the energy rather than using external heat sources.
>>
>>57981550
As far as I understand, they planned to install Stirling engines on the submaries that operated in northern sees and Arctic ocean, so naturally they expected the water outside to be quite cold and utilize it.
>>
>>57981551
Well, I've seen demonstrations where people got some models to work just by placing their hands on it and using their body heat. And there are solar Stirling engines that can be more effective than solar panels.

I mean, this engine doesn't have to be super effective, but if there's a few of them and they provide enough power to make lightbulb work or charge a mobile phone, I think it's already enough to consider using it, especially in secluded areas. I mean, these engines are much more durable and reliable than solar panels or wind generators
>>
Sterling engines don't just magically make energy. They simply transfer it. If you build this into a home, it is going to transfer heat into (or out of) the home. This may make sense if you are in a remote location with no source of electricity, but in a typical modern home with electrical access and at least some level of climate control, it makes no sense. It will cost more to operate than just using your electrical source.
>>
>>57981815
And... What I if dig a well and build a magnificent giant Stirling machine? And paint it red? With Aquilla?
>>
>>57981927
This would work, but when you're using something as hot as magma then there's better ways of making electricity out of it (I believe they use it to vaporise water, just like in a coal/nuclear power plant). The key point is that there has to be a hot and cold area, but also that the hot area has to be one you're not bothered about taking energy out of. If you heat water with sunlight this works well, but it is pointless when the hot area is something you've spent energy on getting hot (i.e. the submarine)
>>
>>57981303
Oх мля нaшeлca yмнeк пeндocaв зaтpaльбaceть peшил aзaзaз
Ha cacaтч, бидлa!
>>
>>57981977
I'm not talking about hot magma, I'm taling about a well with guaranteed lower temperature that such on the suface. Imagine a desert or something.
>>
>>57982014
Я твoю мaти їбaв, клятий двaчep. He вмiєшь cпiлкyвaтиcя пpиcтoйнo - нe нaмaгaйcя.
>>
>>57981303
More efficient to build one engine and put it in the focus of a solar concentrator.

As for living in Siberia, insulate your house, better yet, don't live in Siberia
>>
>>57982608
>don't live in Siberia

BUT IT'S THE BEST PLACE IN THE WORLD
>>
Also, am I correct to assume that the smaller engine is the lesser temperature gap you need to get it to work and vice versa?

If so, let's say we have a guaranteed gap of 10 C, would a hundred of tiny engines more efficient than a single bigger engine?
>>
>>57982316
Hэвэp чэйндж, г
>>
>>57983883
Ит из oyp фaкинг дил иф ви ap гoинг тy чeндж op нoт, ю пpимитив иppaшиoнaл мaнки.
>>
>>57982608
whats the point of having perfect mirrored surfaces if you're just gonna put them in a fucking dusty desert? does that not destroy them right off the bat?
there's no way someone goes out there and polishes the dishes all day every day
>>
>>57985195
Oh sure, there are.
>>
>>57985195
Welcome to "green" energy
>>
File: 119839.jpg (53KB, 540x643px) Image search: [Google]
119839.jpg
53KB, 540x643px
>>57981303
>>
>>57981303

Your deltaT has to be very large. They're tough to get working efficiently.
>>
>>57983983
>>57983883
>>57981548
It feels good to be educated and understand this.
>>
>>57987698

>knowing vodka runes
>educated

You can only select one anon!
Thread posts: 30
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.