[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

why do u use gnu/linux?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 49
Thread images: 5

File: descarga.png (426B, 225x225px) Image search: [Google]
descarga.png
426B, 225x225px
why do u use gnu/linux?
>>
>>57969231
Freedom.
>>
>>57970743
/thread
>>
File: nsa-tan.jpg (114KB, 960x911px) Image search: [Google]
nsa-tan.jpg
114KB, 960x911px
Today I wanted to check if I can watch video directly from a 'cloud' webcam I had lying around, which required using IE, so I booted into Windows and got a good reminder as to why I don't use it anymore.
>The redundant 'programs and features' and 'apps and features' menus are full of unremovable bloat Microsoft saw fit to put on this 'professional' edition of this paid for operating system.
>Firefox is slow and unstable on Windows when compared to GNU/Linux.
>Searching for 'Internet Explorer download' on Microsoft's website brings the download page for a version of IE11 for Windows 7, searching for 'download Internet Explorer for Windows 10' brings a page that shows you how to search for IE in the start menu when you haven't uninstalled it
>Installing it through the 'Turn Windows features on and off' menu prompts for a system reboot, which then forces system updates
I've never had as many and as intense a frustration with GNU/Linux as I have had with Windows. Microsoft despise their users and buying their products feeds the American Orwellian nightmare initiative data and money.
>>
>>57969231
A 1$ Microsoft gift card has been sent to your address. Thanks For Shilling.
- Microcucks, Steve Ballmer, India department
>>
>>57969231
Oy vey, you have earned one (1) Microsoft Point. It has been added to your Microsoft account.
>>
>>57969231
it's faster, more convenient, I don't have to restart my computer every time there's an update, and I can use my computer while updates are being applied.

Also, once I turn on the computer, it boots up way faster than Windows ever did for me, and by the time I log in, I'm ready to open a program like Chrome or something; I don't have to wait like I do with Windows for it to finish loading a million different programs and subsystems that make the initial five minutes slow as fuck
>>
File: Steve_Sweaty_Balls_Ballmer.jpg (93KB, 789x937px) Image search: [Google]
Steve_Sweaty_Balls_Ballmer.jpg
93KB, 789x937px
>>57971573
>Steve Ballmer
Plz come home Dad
>>
I like installing fun useful software without having to risk my computer to viruses.
>>
File: rhWbObC.png (26KB, 602x500px) Image search: [Google]
rhWbObC.png
26KB, 602x500px
>>57969231
I installed linux, so you can ask dumb questions from me.
>>
>>57972718
Sorry, I meant GNU/Linux.
>>
File: fuckyou.png (17KB, 980x132px) Image search: [Google]
fuckyou.png
17KB, 980x132px
>>57973006
>>
because gnu/linux is shit but Windows is somehow worse..
>>
>>57969231
I use macOS and Windows 10 Pro, don't give a fuck about /g/ memes
>>
wanted to give it a try, turned out to love it, my OS doesnt force me into anything, i can do what i want with it, the free as in freedom part of it is also nice
>>
>>57969231
I don't use GNU/Linux. I use Linux.
>>
>>57969231
I run arch on a virtual machine so I can post en screnfetch threads.
>>
>>57969231
I didn't want to pay for or pirate my operating system.
>>
>>57969231
software freedom, it's free, I'm more used to it, it's much more light weight if you choose the right DE, much more secure, I like it better for development, I like bash and the terminal, it's fun to learn about whereas I just get an aneurism when I learn more about windows
>>
>>57973085
it's a new meme one single shitposter is forcing
>>
>>57974672
This.
>>
>>57969231
Free as in price
Free as in freedom
Customizable
Useful for programming unlike Windows
>>
>>57975009
hahahaha me too
>>
>>57969231
why shouldn't I?
>>
>>57969231
Freedom is the main reason for me. It also works better for me and lets me use my computer more effectively.
>>
>>57969231
because windows software/infastructure is low grade / deteriorating

windows was a toy to start with
>>
>>57970974
>Internet Explorer download
the hell are you trying to do?
>>
>>57975090
This.
>>
It's the best os
>>
because i'm not a poo in the loo nigger

need i say more?
>>
It's fun to tinker around with and customize
>>
>>57970974
You truly are a retard. Internet explorer is disabled or enabled through system menus
>>
>>57979313
I didn't have to go into the 'turn features on and off' menu to uninstall it and the install for Windows 7 clearly was done with a standalone download.
>>
because when you have to start finding third party fixes to use software on W8 that you've used for years, Windows ceases to be an OS that "just werkz"

when you have to work twice as hard to do things which are simple on Linux

when setting a value to 0 is equivalent to setting it to 1, lol, there is no excuse for this one

when your OS sends data to MS whether you like it or not

do we have to keep going?
>>
I dualboot Windows alongside various distros and generally just spend my time tinkering with the the latter for fun. I'm honestly not a huge fan of strictly using free & open source software.
>>
>>57969231
need it for our servers at work.
>>
>>57969231
autism
>>
I get to squeeze more performance out of an underpowered netbook. As comfortable as I am with Windows, I have no explicit need for it. I figure I'll get the most bang for my buck through a comparable distro. That's the tradeoff I accept for the occasional lack of UI polish.
>>
>>57970974
It's still there for the legacy. Win+R then type iexplore
>>
>no wide support from Adobe, Corel, Ableton etc. because it's free
>LMMS is near FL Studio but doesn't have power as FL Studio
>>
Hard to code on win.
>>
>>57969231
because C dev on windows sucks, that's why i dual boot them
>>
minimal botnet
comes with many, many useful tools for science/development
powerful command line
>>
I use it as it is generally more secure than Windows. I do have a Windows laptop to play some games on. I don't own a system that can run a VM that well. My best processor is a i3 2350m...
>>
fun
>>
Learning, I guess. Learning C, Linux sysadmin, networking, etc.
>>
>>57980342
what this man said
>>
proper Windows won't run on my Raspberry Pi
>>
>>57969231
because I can
Thread posts: 49
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.