[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Planned Obsolescence

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 28
Thread images: 3

File: Apple-Planned-Obsolescence.jpg (12KB, 288x192px) Image search: [Google]
Apple-Planned-Obsolescence.jpg
12KB, 288x192px
>What do you think of it?

I have that feel that laptop developer build in/don't fix errors in the BIOS or BIOS updates.
>>
>>57963964
BIOSes an be somewhat easily modded by community if the hardware has some value.
See: thinkpads, eeepc, toughbooks, macbooks.
The shitty components on motherboard are the real reason of tech dying fast. And shitty software too.
>>
Why would you want to use old shit anyway?
>>
>>57963964
Did you ever think that every "update" is just a way to insure obsolescence?
Look at every apple product, whenever a new iOS gets released all devices start to become slow, not noticeable but annoying and you'd need to buy new device.
>>
>>57963964
Planed obsolescence isn't a thing to worry about unless you buy shitty products. My Nexus 5 with Android 7.1 is just as fast as the day I took it out of the box. My iPhone 5 however is a fucking snail on iOS 10. That's because Apple provides piss poor optimization for older devices. Just don't buy products that keep you in a walled garden. This means you should only buy devices that allow you to install other operating systems such as GNU/Linux or AOSP.
>>
>>57963993
no way you mean putting a mobile cpu and gpu on the same shitty cheap copper heat pipe with a tiny little fan that does practically nothing isn't an ideal hardware configuration?
>>
>>57965022
you've never owned an apple device

you're just making things up based on third hand gossip, you're the worst type of person.
>>
>>57965463
>my phone with the voided warranty is so good I don't even need a warranty nothing with ever go wrong.
>>
>>57965463
but GNU/Linux has massive security issues and AOSP is all but abandoned at this point.

i think you're spending a lot of time and effort on your philosophical choices and it's not really benefiting you at the end of the day.

oh well, keep compiling that kernel bro, freedumbs and open sores and all that.
>>
>>57965512
I mean, let's buy these cute capacitors because they are like 1 dollar cheaper per wheel, no, don't worry they are made by some unknown company that registered yesterday and will be bancrupt the day after they ship us our order, it's okay.
>>
>>57965520
I'm not sure what that guy you quoted actually meant but if you've ever touched an Iphone 4 today without ANY updates since launch it will STILL be as fast as it ever was.

Each iOS update is very clearly crippling older gen Iphones. If the cause is malicious or simply because they cram more shit that requires more power is debatable though. It could be a side effect of making the same OS for all Iphones but I'm leaning towards a little from column A and little from column B.
>>
>>57965539
>Tech products don't break 99% of the time 12 seconds after 1/2/3 year warranty is expired

I don't speak for voiding warranty right out of the box but come on man.
>>
>build in
got an example of this?

A company would be too weighed down if they were forced to support all of their past products, at what point do you stop support ? There will always be someone using that old hardware.

Did the product reach the end of its useful life cycle ? Ok End support then.
it's not like the product ceases to work, just official support isnt there anymore.
what more do you want ?
>>
>>57963964
I think it's stupid.

When you have a technology that works, you continue building upon it until you come up with something better than it. Then when you make that thing that's better than it, you slowly phase it into the hardware until it becomes the standard. This is why Floppy Discs were dropping in favor of CDs: Because CDs proved to be a lot better in the long run and more people adapted to that medium of data transfer over the old thing. Thus Floppy Discs are now gone from the market.

When you ax all of it and slam in all the hot new things in replacement to the other things still seeing use, you create a cumbersome situation in which people who still need those have to use work-arounds in order to actually operate their system. This is the situation with the 2016 MB"""""""P""""""" and the USB-C inclusion. Because people still use USB devices, 3.5mm headphones, and iPhones, people have to buy dongles to adapt to the sudden change in hardware. While I don't doubt USB-C does offer it's advantages, they dipped their feet into it way too quickly when many things that use Type-C (i.e. flash drives) still offer a Type-A solution to use in it's stead. It'll only be when people start producing Type-C devices primarily due to whatever inherent advantage it has when Type-A can start to slowly phase out of the market. Until then, ditching Type-A is a huge issue.
>>
>>57964108
Never change a winning team
>>
My Dell N5110 is almost 5 years old and it don't want to die.
>>
>>57966197
>USB-C

That is just apple being stupid.

Everyone else in the PC world has been slowly adopting USB-C and slowly phasing out the older legacy USB ports.
Sometimes you gotta make a leap, like with phones, you can't possibly have two connectors on there.

What irks me about apple is they decided to adopt the future standard of USB-C but still insist on using the lightning connector.
>>
Sad thing that everything good Apple "invented" and implemented, they patent to shit and never let others use it.
They implemented magnetic power connector, noone is allowed to use it, and then they abandon it.
Lightning is mechanically superior than USB-C, but they still keep it proprietary.
Fuck Apple.
>>
>>57965562
>but GNU/Linux has massive security issues
Just no...
Compared with windows there are way less viruses out there. Package manager make sure that everything is up to date and you dont have to download software via a browser and always recieve your software from trustworthy places. Also you could use SELinux, if you are really concerned with security.
> AOSP is all but abandoned at this point
Explain pls. I don't know much about AOSP, but I assume that's bullshit. Also you could use Cyanogenmod
>>
>>57965463
>GNU/Linux
It works badly with old hardware lately.
>>
>>57963964
I think it doesn't generally exist outside of a few examples. Most of the things people whine about being 'planned obsolescence' is just the ending of support from the manufacturer and why should the manufacturer of your 300 dollar laptop support it for 10+ years?
>>
>>57966321
This.

USB-C is a cancer.
>>
File: 1474516288872.png (132KB, 396x385px) Image search: [Google]
1474516288872.png
132KB, 396x385px
>>57963964
Here's a tip:
don't buy apple
>>
>>57965539
I've never sent a single product in under warranty. I take good care of my things and if they break, it's my fault and I can fix it myself. You can relock the bootloader on phones too, dumbass.

>>57965562
I build my own AOSP ROMs. Plenty of people do. It's far from dead. Also, there's a reason why Google is ditching Windows in favor of GNU/Linux and Mac OS. Windows itself is a security flaw these days.

>>57966476
I have a Core 2 Duo and 4GB of RAM in my 10 year old MacBook. It runs Debian with LXDE just fine.
>>
>>57966660
>4GB
4GB is pretty much, anon.
>>
>>57966678
It's beyond the official 3GB limit for this mobo.
>>
>>57966321
but lightning doesn't have that many usable pins (ie potential for transfer speed) does it? Are there even usb3 to lightning cables?
>>
>>57966871
They can double the pins and wires and in next generation if they want, or add another 4 as in USB C if they want to.
Thread posts: 28
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.