[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

>internet browsers that used to run no problem on 512mb DDR1

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 4

File: ram-spirit-animal.jpg (77KB, 550x412px) Image search: [Google]
ram-spirit-animal.jpg
77KB, 550x412px
>internet browsers that used to run no problem on 512mb DDR1 RAM on my old shit machine I was still using as late as 2009 can't function on 2gb RAM on a small laptop I bought for producitivty anymore

What happened? Did W10 and the browers and webpages themselves start using tons more memory even though they're barely any fucking different from 2009 for all practical purposes? what's the point in Moore's Law if everything takes exponentially more memory to run shit that's almost no diffrent.
>>
File: oh-fine.png (15KB, 384x276px) Image search: [Google]
oh-fine.png
15KB, 384x276px
>he doesn't like bloated "UX" nonsense
>and the browser as a mini-OS
>I bet he also values raw content over "rich applications"

lol check out this luddite
>>
browser use more ram because not using ram is basically just wasting it, and it's extremely cheap these days.

Having to pull data from the network or disk is orders of magnitude more latency than just keeping it in ram.
>>
>>57952832
"Flat design" happened. Moore's law as far as CPU power increase is concerned is pretty much dead now. Pajeet devs happened who can't optimize for shit. Cunt execs happened who don't even want anyone to optimize anything but just stuff any gaps with more pajeets and, ir all else fails, rely on the cucked consumers to go out and buy moar RAM. So, yea.

>inb4 faggots who have 32 or even 64 gibs of RAM and "don't care"
They are obviously part of the problem too, see above. For as long as 32-bit dominated, the 3.5 GB limit kept shitty devs in check. Once 64-bit became widespread, the everlasting bullshit commenced.
>>
>>57952832
the specifications for HTML, CSS, and JavaScript have gotten *significantly* more complex in that time and thus so have the browser rendering engines and JS runtimes

you can't opt-out and it doesn't have anything to do with what code is actually running on a webpage. firing up the latest firefox with about:blank as the homepage and nothing else running at all causes my thinkpad to swap. this is just how it is you have to accept it.
>>
>>57952870
You could just not have the data in the first place.

Just because you can do something doesn't mean you should, and you shouldn't excuse poor service just because it's "cheap."

To claim things like "unused RAM is wasted RAM" is to make an assumption about the person who will be viewing the content that you have no right to make. This is why there is no absolute formatting in HTML, what the tags show as was intended to be up to the person sat at the browser. A unified viewing experience was never part of the design, nor should it be.
>>
File: 1481119787525-pol.jpg (57KB, 400x533px) Image search: [Google]
1481119787525-pol.jpg
57KB, 400x533px
>>57952870
>>
>>57952935
I don't buy that HTML or CSS (outside of webfont cancer) has gotten much more complex. There's only so complex that you can make them before you make them in to something else, at which point you might as well use JS.
>>
>>57952832
This bugs me too, seems like that as computers get more powerful and internet connections get faster nothing really changes much because it just means shitty developers can make their programs even more bloated and idiotic hipster web designers can add more useless bullshit to their web pages. Fucking smartphones have 4gb ram these, probably not long till 6 or even 8 gb becomes the norm for flagship smartphones. Fucking hell, then pajeets can make their shitty fucking apps even more bloated.
>>
>>57952935

To do literally what? In all the web browsing I've done in 2016 shit is not even a marginally better user experience than it was at a time when all of that was "signficantly less complex".
>>
>>57952951
i agree with your ideals, but i think the webstack is so far down the rabbithole, ideals can no longer dig us out.

I mean websites no longer even contain just pure html, it's flash, graphics, sound, 3d, drag+drop functionality, offline computations and storage.
Do we need all this shit? Hell no for 97% of applications that "use" them.
But normies aren't going to sit at their computers (do normies even use computers anymore or jsut phones?) customizing every website they come across, or even worry about memory usage.
>>
All them tracker botnet daemons gotta use something.
>>
Hollow boats make the most noise.

The only issue is that these morons are the ones who browser developers cater to. It should not be the case - but it is - that you can have a much better experience online using something as basic as Links2 or Dillo rather than a modern browser.
>>
Not exactly scientific, but this is from just the browser displaying the google mainpage.

Firefox: 260MB
Fun fact - I disabled the webm plugin and it dropped to 250MB.

QupZilla: 150MB
Midori: 97MB
Netsurf: 37MB
Midori is probably the best of these three though as there are adblock and noscript addons that are available for it. Netsurf is left behind because it can't save images.

Links2: 13MB
Dillo: 11MB
That surprised me a little bit.
>>
>>57953026
>>57953057
I'm talking about the specs you retards

educate yourselves
https://html.spec.whatwg.org/
https://whatwg.org/specs/
https://www.w3.org/TR/tr-groups-all#w3c_all
http://www.ecma-international.org/ecma-262/6.0/
>>
>>57954382
>go to first link
>see "single page link"
>multipage is blown up in the way
>shrinks back down
>click single page version
>doesn't fucking do anything
>go to second link
>see HTML
>click
>goes back to that page
>again can't click on a fucking hyperlink
>YOU CAN'T CLICK ON A HYPERLINK

GREAT! FUCKING AWESOME!
>>
File: tumblr_nwi6jlAViN1rmerh9o1_500.jpg (68KB, 500x465px) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_nwi6jlAViN1rmerh9o1_500.jpg
68KB, 500x465px
>>57954469
and that's just the documentation
>>
>>57954469
>>57954547
WAIT.

It turns out that the reason the link didn't work is because THAT was the single page.

WHY WOULD YOU LINK TO THE PAGE YOU'RE ON?
>>
>Please don't use your browser's back button

Why do pages do this shit
>>
>>57954830
Because it breaks the script.

Welcome to modern web development. Rather than create better software they just ask you not to go off the rails. Or just upgrade your hardware, like this ( >>57952870 ) obvious web developer said.
>>
>>57954867
don't bring that /pol/-tier McCarthyism marking webdevs with a scarlet letter sending them to the gas chambers

webdevs did nothing wrong and their lives also matter you can't discriminate against webdevs for being webdevs we're in the modern age of modern development for modern standards in designing native progressive apps and surprising and delighting our customers with modern features with you, with the employees it makes your life easier and with the mobile big data internet of memes it's easier than ever to get started I'm lovin itâ„¢©'
>>
Try browsing the Internet in Chrome OS. It makes JavaScript feel native.
>>
>>57955658
Is this some kind of hell you're crafting?
>>
>>57955658
well javascript is the assembly language of the web so it's about as close to the metal as you can get, really

and v8 is lightning fast
>>
>>57953817
Links is the SHIT.
>>
>>57955802
>javascript is the assembly language of the web

No it isn't, retard. WebAssembly is.
>>
it's streaming everything you do to Microsoft and Google

That takes a lot of resources.

Meanwhile I'm running macOS on a i3 with 2GB of memory and it's smooth as silk
Thread posts: 27
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.