[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What Linux Distro do you guys use? And for what reason do you

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 49
Thread images: 4

File: LinuxDistros.png (517KB, 1144x529px) Image search: [Google]
LinuxDistros.png
517KB, 1144x529px
What Linux Distro do you guys use? And for what reason do you use it? And why is it perfect for what you use it for?

>Arch Linux
>Used for server (I know it's not the best)
>Looks good and is always kept simple
>>
Arch.
I want reasonably up to date packages, particularly things like GCC and Linux.
It gets the job done.

I also have CentOS on my home server, which is nice as well, I guess.
>>
>>57945995
I use Linux Mint because it just werks. It's probably not "perfect", but I do fine with it. I need the current generation of new meme web technologies. Most of them are maintained best for Mac OS, but I can't justify spending this much money on inferior hardware, so Linux it is. Since I don't care about spending 8 hours a day configuring/repairing my system, Mint is very nice. Also, I come from a Windows background, and Linux Mint with a Cinnamon/MATE desktop makes me feel at home.
>>
>>57945995
I use Xubuntu but I'm thinking of switching to Debian because pulseaudio sucks a bag of dicks.
>>
Antergos, because you get pacman and the AUR without all the useless arch way, installation is needlessly annoying bullshit.
>>
>>57945995
So the weren't even lying when they said Loonix had more distros than users.
>>
File: 1452403462016.png (79KB, 307x400px) Image search: [Google]
1452403462016.png
79KB, 307x400px
>>57946078
>Using "Arch for Babies"
>>
>>57946118
And like clockwork, the autistic animeposter NEETs who do nothing but "rice" their Arch screenfetch machines, appear out of the woodwork.
>>
>>57946136
I haven't changed the configuration of my computer in ages.
You spend maybe a day or two making everything work well and look nice, and then you just forget about it.

I don't know why you have to whole story laid out in your head. I guess it's just you projecting.
>>
>Ubuntu, minimal XFCE
>Everyday, school, shitty python and light games with friends
>Simple, looks nice, behaves well
>>
>>57945995
Slakkuwaru
>>
>>57946173
>I haven't changed the configuration of my computer in ages.
lmao go back to your desktop threads and post your 1337 arch screenfetch and talk about your obscure desktop environment. Excuse me, of course you'd be talking about your new "window manager" because that's way cooler and much more elegant, not like the bloatware all those ubuntucucks use, right?

Now of course you will pretend that nothing of what I wrote was true and that everybody should really just use whatever they like. At this point, I will quote your previous post:

>>57946118
>Using "Arch for Babies"
[smug-anime-girl.png]

and tell you to kill yourself
>>
>>57946243
God damn, you babies sure get salty.
It's pretty obvious that you have an inferiority complex.
>>
>>57945995
Ubuntu
Just werks
>>
>>57946281
>inferiority complex
perfectly describes your post >>57946118
>>
>>57945995
>server
>looks good
Why are you using a GUI for a server?
>>
>>57945995
arch for laptop
fedora for desktop
raspbian for sever that hosts my IRC bouncer and mumble server
ubuntu for a server I use for bruteforcing
centos for a server I use for hosting my website, blog and portforlio
>>
>>57945995
Ubuntu as a NAS and for light emulator gaming.
>>
>>57946078
What is the main difference between Antegros and Manjaro?
>>
hm i use gentoo and arch no de and made my own window manager from a mixture of many different programming languages that i stuided - i boot arch and it asks me whether gentoo would like to be involved too which is great
>>
>>57945995
>Looks good
Literally any distro can look the same if riced enough.
>Server
Why do you need a GUI for a server?
>>
Arch.
New packages, pacman. Recent linux kernel. Used to use slackware but hated being so outdated.
>>
>>57946078
Arch is easy to install, though. You're just stupid.
>>
I installed arch to be a special snowflake but everyone else here is using it to.
wtf I hate arch now.
>>
Ubuntu 16.04.1.
It ain't fancy but it works flawlessly (for me) OOtB and looks decent if you spend ten minutes ricing it.
>>
>>57945995
> >Used for server
> >Looks good
Jesus.
>>
File: Row0px7n.png (104KB, 512x512px) Image search: [Google]
Row0px7n.png
104KB, 512x512px
>tfw to intelligent to fall for the meme
>>
I virtualize Ubuntu on my server for my Tor relay. On the lappy I use Linux mint but everyone and their fucking mother gives me shit about it so I'll probably switch to Arch. Mint just works for me.

Anyone ever use OpenSuse for a laptop? I think over all these years its the one distro I've never tried
>>
>>57948562
Used openPEPE on my T410 for a while, no complaints really other than the usual repo adding BS you have to put up with in any RPM based distro that you want functionality from. YaST is brillo bananas and it's probably the best KDE distro.
>>
>openSUSE Tumbleweed
>Rolling and stable
>KDE Rocks and comfy
>>
>>57945995
Windows 10
>>
Literally Solus, no memeing.
>>
>>57948813
t410, isn't that a tower server? I didn't think OpenSuse was known as a server distro
>>
>>57949019
Maybe it is, me no know. I was talking about my memepad.
>>
The one I run
What I do
Works on my machine
>>
File: linux_Solus_1481081304742.png (133KB, 750x623px) Image search: [Google]
linux_Solus_1481081304742.png
133KB, 750x623px
>>57945995

Literally, objectively, the best distro ever.
>>
Trying to decide between fedora and openPepe...which should I try next
>>
Trisquel
Because it's userfriendly and botnetfree
It works on my machine (X200)
>>
>>57949815
Fedora if you like GNOME, openPEPE if you like KDE. Yes, you can install either DE on either distro, but their defaults are arguably the best for each DE.
>>
>>57946078
Archbang has an easy to use installer
Many use it to install arch more conveniently
>>
>>57945995
Gentoo because it is ONLY (with funtoo) distro in which I have choose of package version.
>>
>>57949928
Sounds like you have choose of loo in which to poo, too.
>>
>>57945995
Debian because it's stable and easy. I use it on all of my laptops and my desktop for an every day OS.
>>
>>57949928
Gentoomang here too because pacman is in the portage tree so I don't have to compile if I don't have the time or don't want to. No point in limiting yourself with Arch honestly. Also because I wrote a script to auto install a while ago so it takes no longer than anything else..
>>
>>57946118
>Using CRUX for babies
>>
desktop-q4os,muh pre riced windows xp feel on debian
laptop-bunsen labs,comfy openbox setup
>>
>>57949889
i tried using the arch installers,but they either stall or just dont work
>>
Xubuntu 16.10
It works and it's much faster than Windows 10. It's very easy to make it look good.
>>
>>57951917
CRUX is amazing but its pretty outdated to use for a main system. Its so much simpler than arch and has THE BEST package manager.
Thread posts: 49
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.