[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Is it just me or is Ubuntu 16.04 really unstable? Story time

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 3

File: the-game.png (13KB, 200x200px) Image search: [Google]
the-game.png
13KB, 200x200px
Is it just me or is Ubuntu 16.04 really unstable?

Story time
>I had for awhile been using Manjaro.
>I used it because I thought it was an interesting distro and I only ever stopped using it because it had shoddy printer support
>When I installed Ubuntu I upgraded from 14.04 to 16.04 for the sake of it
>Now running Ubuntu 16.04 I am able to install all my printers with relative ease but I found that web-browsing on Firefox was incredibly unstable. Firefox on Manjaro was somehow better configured.
>Then I found that upon installing xfce on Ubuntu that it was prone to glitchiness. That was odd, I thought. It worked but there would be some issues that I wouldn't have seen on Manjaro.
>I then decided to try KDE on Ubuntu, just to see what had changed. The install progress of KDE broke the package manager. I was not using third-party repositories and yet it was so unstable.
>Meanwhile on another computer I found that Lubuntu was both stable and able to work with deb files

Why is it that other distros seem to be more stable than Ubuntu?
>>
Why are you using the ancient version of Ubuntu?

The LTS version of Ubuntu is for running servers, not web browsing on Firefox or installing other DEs.
>>
>>57934654
Here's what I don't understand though: the latest version of Lubuntu is based on Ubuntu Xenial Xerus and is so much more stable than it. What gives?
>>
>>57934713
Ancient software is more stable.
>>
>>57934634
My thoughts on Ubuntu are as follows:
1) upgrading is risky, it may be the first source of instability, I prefer making the copy of /home directory on external hdd, then I erase the partition and install new release from scratch,
2) Firefox is a very touchy application, no matter what OS it is installed on, prone to crash not only itself but also a hosting OS, so I use it with caution, and it pays me back with superb web browsing experience.
>>
>>57934634
use 1404
the latest with ubuntu == pita
prefer the .3 .4 .5 releases

>>57934843
the esr is fine
>>
File: Q0n2AEG.png (26KB, 602x500px) Image search: [Google]
Q0n2AEG.png
26KB, 602x500px
>>57934634
Not just you. This is the worst LTS ever. I think i will go to debian or arch if they don't fix their shit.
>>
File: 1462477905086.png (39KB, 983x780px) Image search: [Google]
1462477905086.png
39KB, 983x780px
I've had no problems with Mint, which is literally just 16.04 + some extra stuff, right?
>>
>>57934634
I've had pretty much the opposite experience
>Started out with installing 14.04
>Eventually ended up upgrading to 16.04
>Apart from some slightly annoying hassles due to it not having proper keyboard layouts for some non-english Mac keyboards (sue me) I've had zero issues whatsoever relating to the OS itself
>Only real problem is a black screen from suspend issue caused by Nvidia's drivers

Also, I'm just sharing my experiences so there's no need for people pointing out that "Works fine on my machine" isn't a real argument.
>>
>>57934760
True. That's why I stick to my Debian Woody.
>>
>>57934634
what do you mean by "able to work with deb files"?
>>
it gave me issues so i do 14 and it wont fresh install from disc like the prior one on my machine. i still think its pretty nifty version on the whole though im sure most would agree with it being best ubuntu.
>>
>>57936388
werks on MY machine :^)
Thread posts: 13
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.