[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Crt question

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 1

File: tmp_7680-P8192969-1015759275.jpg (25KB, 480x360px) Image search: [Google]
tmp_7680-P8192969-1015759275.jpg
25KB, 480x360px
Hey g. I have a question about crt monitor. Pic related

I currently have iiyama 2488 144hz monitor, but I have an option to grab hp A7217A for around $60 with shipping. Should I do it? I would sell my monitor afterwards. What are pros and cons of doing that.
>inb4 40kg monitor in current year, just kys
>>
>being a beaner
>>
I've got a CRT for free recently because of nostalgia but threw it out quickly.

There's no point. They take up space, are heavy, and have a literal canon pointed at your head at all times.

I wanted to compare it to the LCD 144hz panels but there's almost no identifiable difference to me.

The biggest difference is colors, and ofc blacks are amazing compared to even the best IPS, not to mention general TFT garbage.
>>
I'm asking because iiyama 2488:
16:9
1080p
24''
144 hz

A7217A:
16:10
24''
2304x1440 80hz
1920x1200 144hz(so I read)

It seems really amazing if you ask me. Almost to good to be true. And I will get few bucks from this
>>
Do it. Can't you just keep both though?

I'd be leery of shipping such a big monitor though.
>>
>>57931027
50 pln so about $12. Monitor alone us 200 pln, $48. The size of this thing is the only killer for me :/
>>
>>57930822
$60 for an apparently great screen is pretty cheap, why not just buy it and see for yourself? It's not like it's some significant investment or some shit. That's what I'd do for sure, though I now have a 4K screen and would be hard pressed to give up the amazing sharpness.
>>
Does it work correctly? I heard that many FW900 have problems with the brightness and colors, so you might need to replace the capacitors
>>
>>57930822
I wouldn't want to risk having it shipped. You have no guarantee whatsoever that it won't be (most likely irreperably so) damaged in transport. Actually the chance for it to be damaged is quite high. It is most reasonable to pick them up and transport them personally.
>>
>>57930822
>Considering paying for crt

if it's not free then it's not worth it
>>
>>57931572
This.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PFGGHGwAjLY
>>
>>57930822
>I have an option to grab hp A7217A for around $60 with shipping
Don't they often go for ten times that much? It's not worth much if it has problems or significant permanent degradation, but for $60 I'd probably take a chance.
>>
>>57931572
It's 6 hour car trip, so counting fuel and time not really worth it imo
>>
>>57931603
You might also try to argue that Model M keyboards should be given away for free given their age etc. Somehow it doesn't happen though.
>>
>>57931817
If it doesn't make sense to pick it up personally and you wish to take the risk of having it shipped, then ok. Be warned though: >>57931627
>>
>>57930822
You should do it and do it now before I find the same offer and buy it out from under you. I have already tried to find it on ebay. This is a scandously good deal and the HP will beat the shit out of the iiyama.
>>
>>57931914
Apparently people are stupid enough to pay for them.

Im honestly not denying how great they are. But something that old should not be stupidly expensive. Same with old crts, most of them are at an age where there almost has to be something wrong (leaking capacitors, worn out chips, burn in).

I buy old stuff too but I never pay a large sum of money for it unless it is serviced (new caps etc).
>>
>someone has something
>another person wants it
>pays money for it
>WOW FUCKIN DONT DO THAT REEE IS SHOULD BE FREE
>>
>>57931914
CRTs are given away for free though
>>
>>57932236
Random 4:3 CRTs are given away. 16:10 CRTs that support 1080p and better are a rarity.
>>
>>57932236
Crappy run-of-the-mill 17'' (15.5'' visible) shadow mask CRTs, sure. 20+'' Trinitrons? Much less likely so.
>>
>>57932236
Not so much anymore. They are becoming more scarce. Used to be people gave away model M keyboards too, but now anyone can look on ebay and see they are worth something. Good CRTs are the same.
>>
>>57932542
I started looking for something like a 19+" Trinitron about 9 years ago and most of what I could find back then were crappy run-of-the-mill 17" shadow mask monitors. There were some Dell P780s as well (17" Trinitrons) but I wanted to hold out for at least a 19". I regret it now as I never found one and would've at least liked to have a decent P780 for some old games. Nowdays I rarely come across even the junkiest shadow mask CRTs, and haven't seen a Trinitron or Diamondtron of any size in quite a few years.
>>
>>57931990
>>57932236
This isn't your grandma's shitty Gateway trinitron, the reason most CRTs are given away for free is because they're either shit or too heavy to bother dealing with, this is at best a case of the latter, it's an extremely high-end (and rare as a result) model, especially with HP branding because fucking nobody bought HP9000 workstations.
>>
>>57934589
Im not talking about the quality. Im also not the anon who said that it's not worth paying anything for it.

Im just saying that electronic devices that old are at very high risk of breaking down and paying top dollar for them is a waste.
>>
>>57934710
>Im just saying that electronic devices that old are at very high risk of breaking down and paying top dollar for them is a waste.
That's not really true, duds that are going to fail do so fast and hardware, especially shit like that generally isn't going to die after less than 10 years of use. I use far older gear every day without issue, so do a lot of other people on this board.

Besides, even if you do need to replace a couple caps, $60 hardly isn't "top dollar" unless you're on welfare.
>>
>>57935811
>hardly isn't
hardly is
Thread posts: 27
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.