[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/fglt/ - Friendly GNU/Linux Thread

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 316
Thread images: 41

File: 1479386511640.png (127KB, 500x500px) Image search: [Google]
1479386511640.png
127KB, 500x500px
Previously: >>57925119

Welcome to /fglt/ - Friendly GNU/Linux Thread.
Users of all levels are welcome to ask questions about GNU/Linux and share their experiences.

*** Please be civil, notice the "Friendly" in every Friendly GNU/Linux Thread. ***

Before asking for help, please check our list of resources[*].

If you would like to try out GNU/Linux you can do one of the following:
0) Install a GNU/Linux distribution of your choice in a Virtual Machine.
1) Use a live image and to boot directly into the GNU/Linux distribution without installing anything.
2) Dual boot the GNU/Linux distribution of your choice along with Windows or Mac.
3) Go balls deep and replace everything with GNU/Linux.

* Resources:
$ man <insert command here>
$ info <insert command here>
$ help <insert command here>

Your friendly neighborhood search engine:
Try to use a search engine that respects your privacy such as qwant, searx, ixquick or startpage.

Check the Wikis (Most troubleshoots work for all distros.)
https://wiki.archlinux.org
https://wiki.gentoo.org

What distro should you choose?
https://wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Babbies_First_Linux

Break out of the botnet:
https://prism-break.org/en/categories/gnu-linux/

Learn more about Free Software:
https://www.gnu.org

Try GNU GuixSD:
https://www.gnu.org/software/guix/

/fglt/'s website:
http://fglt.nl/

/fglt/'s copypasta collection:
https://p.teknik.io/oJR7K

Friends:
>>>/t/707928# - /t/'s GNU/Linux Games
>>>/t/713097# - /t/'s GNU/Linux Training Videos

/wg/'s GNU/Linux Wallpapers:
Part III: >>>/wg/6785580
Part II: https://archive.nyafuu.org/wg/thread/6767536/
Part I: https://archive.nyafuu.org/wg/thread/6743571/
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RIctzAQOe44
>>
File: wojakg2.png (222KB, 800x800px) Image search: [Google]
wojakg2.png
222KB, 800x800px
>>57928587
>>
>>57928668
>>>/r/eddit/linuxmemes
>>
Was about to settle on Mint with Cinnamon as my first distro, but now I'm trying Kubuntu. It seems pretty nifty so far, but is there any way I can make the Super key open the Application Launcher? It won't accept just the Super key as a valid keyboard shortcut, it seems.
>>
>>57928587
first for Ubuntu
>>
gentoo or funtoo?
>>
>>57928587
What the fuck is wrong with Qbittorrent on Arch?
It turned black and every text is fucked up.
>>
>>57928721
>Arch
found your problem
>>
>>57928724
Well meme'd, my friend.
Upvoted and subscribed. ;)

Now go back to /pleb/bit!
>>
So, what are your thoughts on the rejection of the AMD open-source driver into the kernel?
>>
File: fgr644ge.png (24KB, 2000x2400px) Image search: [Google]
fgr644ge.png
24KB, 2000x2400px
>>57928587
>installed Manjaro
>broke after first updates
>check this shit on the official forum
>they literally have a thread about how to fix a broken system after the first fucked up updates

wew
>>
I update my system and now 'xset m 0 0' does jack shit, how the fuck do I disable mouse acceleration? Using the xorg.conf.d thing halves my real sensitivity.
>>
>>57928753
I'm on Arch Linux, if it matters.
>>
>>57928766
Ubuntu Zesty actually
>>
>>57928766
Also on Arch here: >>57928721
>>57928749
>not just installing plain arch
>bein a pleb
>>
>>57928766
It actually does.

UNLOCKED ARCH ACHIEVEMENT
UNLOCKED COOL GUY ACHIEVEMENT
UNLOCKED SUPPA HAKKA ACHIEVEMENT

+1 INTERNET POINT
>>
>>57928587
Is Linux Mint a secure OS or not?

I read about them not updating the kernel or something and then there forum software was hacked?

I'm someone that sticks with Debian based distros. I don't want to go full Debian as it's a pain with somethings. But I feel that just sticking with Ubuntu would feel too much like the meme distro that everyone hates.
>>
>>57928787
https://lwn.net/Articles/676664/
>>
>>57928787
>Is Linux Mint a secure OS or not?

It is.
You just need to use the terminal to get every kind of updates (security ones, for example), and that's it.

If you install all of them, it'll be as secure as ubuntu.
>>
File: 1459575060436.png (215KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
1459575060436.png
215KB, 1920x1080px
>>57928721
Seems like my ubuntu got fucked as well
>>
>>57928787
ubuntu is good, shitty company, but quality software, unlike mint, which needs to block updates so the system doesn't fall apart
>>
>>57928801
so if i do apt-get update && apt-get upgrade I'm fine?

It's only if I use their security centre thing, which I never use anyway.
>>
>>57928801
>>57928818
You don't even need to use the terminal. The first time you open the Update Manager, it asks you what kinds of updates you want, and if you just select the third option ("always update everything," or whatever), you're golden.
>>
>>57928742
Any links?
>>
>>57928818
>so if i do apt-get update && apt-get upgrade I'm fine?

Yepp.
And if it asks you to decide some actions, just use the default option (I think it's gonna be "N", "no").

>It's only if I use their security centre thing, which I never use anyway.

If you want to use the official update software of Mint, just check all the options in its menu (to install "unsafe" updates).
>>
>>57928829
this

While Mint's shit was hacked once, it could happen to literally every other distro.
It's just a meme now.
>>
>>57928801
Could you respond to the allegations in this posters post:
>>57928793

Seems pretty damning to me.

>>57928811
I guess so. I'd change the DE anyway from Unity to something like Cinnamon or Mate so I can work similar to in Windows (hit the win key, type the program i want and hit enter)

>>57928833
https://lists.freedesktop.org/archives/dri-devel/2016-December/126684.html

This is AMD's response to it all. There's a few threads on reddit, in linux and linux_gaming
>>
>>57928818
Don't listen to the trolls. Mint it horrible insecure and if you enable the "dangerous" updates, which Mint blocks, your distro may break.
>>
>>57928847
Well having read this guys link: >>57928793

I think I fully agree. Ubuntu may be memey but at least it has a good reputation. I can use Debian, but at times I feel I'm fighting the OS, and I just want to install and get on with what I want to do.
>>
>>57928847
No.

You are the troll here, friend.

>>57928845
>Could you respond to the allegations in this posters post:
>>57928793

I did: >>57928844
>While Mint's shit was hacked once, it could happen to literally every other distro.
>It's just a meme now.

A fully updated Linux Mint is basically a fully secure Ubuntu with a few extra softwares and DEs.
>>
>>57928844
The distro was literally backdoored, later the Mint forum was hacked. The distro itself still comes with critical updates for programs like systemd, the kernel, xorg etc disabled. Pretty competent distro, lad.
>>
>>57928855
You've clearly not read the link, as it's talking about how packages are being blocked and mint specific ones are badly named blocking other packages.

It is not a good read.
>>
>>57928845
>they don't issue any Security Advisories
They do now.
>FrankenDebian
Was true of LMDE 1, which is deprecated.
>mdm
True. This may be a point of concern if you wanted the original MDM.
>xedit
Not true anymore. It's called xed now.
>pre-installed Oracle Java and Adobe Flash
May have been true in the past, but it sure isn't true now. Mint does the same thing Ubuntu does for this stuff.

>>57928863
>comes with critical updates ... disabled
Stop memeing. The first time you open the Update Manager, it asks whether you want those sorts of updates enabled or not. There is no default setting until you pick one.
>>
>>57928721
well qbittorent uses qt, so if there's a graphical glitch I think I'd blame this first.

Have you updated any qt packages recently?
>>
>>57928871
>i don't understand what frankendebian means
>implying renaming one program will fix the fundamenally retarded way of packaging software which package names are already taken
try installing mdm for example, you wount get the correct package

broken by design
>>
>>57928871
If you don't have problems with using a trash distro, it's fine, but you shouldn't tell others that Mint is a good distro.
>>
>>57928871
why even dealing with all that shit?
just use ubuntu, mint is nothing but ubuntu painted green and with security removed
don't be a retard because you fell for the mint meme and feel the need to defend it's faggotry
>>
>>57928902
>>57928892
>>57928883
I used to really like Mint, and while it still seems a great distro, I don't have a big interest in babysitting the OS. And if Mint has a headstrong leader who won't do due dilligence and confirm that things aren't broken and does it because that's what he wants, I'm going to avoid.

Ubuntu may be a meme distro, but at least I can have faith in it, because of the massive user base.
>>
File: you.png (91KB, 627x722px) Image search: [Google]
you.png
91KB, 627x722px
>>57928871
>>
>>57928917
ubuntu isn't a meme distro
arch is a meme distro
>>
>>57928845
>https://lists.freedesktop.org/archives/dri-devel/2016-December/126684.html
Lmao.

But I agree with the maintainer on the issue.

The guy from AMD in his reponse really offered nothing but "why don't you trust us we don't fuck something up?" right after he admitted that Linux team in a windows-centric company like AMD is tiny and physically uncapable (which is understandable) to do many things at once.

Nonetheless I would like to see proper, working, stable and supported AMD drivers for their hardware in the future. Kernel has nothing to loose on such a deal.

The key point is of course "supported". AMD likes to abandon their hardware quickly.
My AMD GPU is not supported since kernel 2.6
>>
hey /g/, please help, what is the best distro? don't want to distrohop or fall for any memes, just want to install the best distro and go on with my life, so please no memes, just tell me what's the best distro, thanks
>>
>>57928951
The one I'm using.
>>
>>57928951
Debian Unstable (Sid).
>>
>>57928951
Ubuntu is easy, out-of-the-box with a lot of packages.
>>
>>57928951
Install Trisquel.
>>
>>57928944
Biggest issue is that there is no stable API in the kernel for AMD to hook in to. So it's going to be a ball-ache.

I fully expect AMD to turn around and just do Binary drivers like Nvidia do. Why bother going to the extra effort.
>>
>>57928951
linux mint
>>
>>57928951
I think Ubuntu. Install, and it works. Want to do something, there's a thousand tutorials/guides/posts and plenty of support places (such as the Ubuntu forums) to ask and follow to achieve what you want.

It's a massively used distro, so things that are made will definitely be designed with that in mind.

Debian is the solid base. It's slow to update, but updates are bulletproof. But it needs a bit more faffing to set up in the first place.

Mint is the hip new thing that takes Ubuntu and builds on top, but there is some damning evidence that it is not quite as secure.
>>
>>57929022
>slow to update
Why is "apt is slow" a meme? It's pretty fast for me. Maybe just use a faster mirror? There's also apt-fast for lightspeed updating.
>>
>>57929043
Sorry, I didn't mean slow as in actual updating. I meant slow as in the releases are slow, there's less bleeding edge. Which depending what you want is great.

For my home server, Debian is definitely what I want. For my desktop OS though Ubuntu has the right balance of features and reliability quickly to fix issues.
>>
File: Klek-shop.jpg (87KB, 640x427px) Image search: [Google]
Klek-shop.jpg
87KB, 640x427px
I just bought one of those dvd bay caddy's that let you install a second hdd in your laptop. I have a spare hybrid hdd I want to put into the primary slot and I'll put the old hdd into the caddy since it's not hybrid.

I've spent a while tinkering around with my kubuntu install though, is it possible to just image the hdd and copy it over? I'd really rather not have to reinstall and configure everything. or is there a quick way to copy everything over?

Has anyone here got experience with hybrid drives? Apparently boot times can get a pretty good boost.
>>
>>57928787
>Is Linux Mint a secure OS or not?
It wasn't. I don't know if they changed their policies regarding security, but when a distribution maintainer fuck up for all this time, manage to get their website hacked etc. There's one legit question : Do you really want to trust those people ?

Some guys might say "yeah it secure!" without giving you any evidence, without giving you any proof.
And as I said, even if they fixed most problems, I personally won't trust those guys.

About ubuntu, I think the main problem is that canonical does nothing to contribute to the free & open source movement, create their own tools that often aren't needed and participate in a more fragmented linux community. If you don't care of that (most users don't), just use it without giving a fuck about the memes.
>>
>>57929081
use dd to copy the contents over to your new drive. Then you can expand the filesystem if necessary to use the rest of the space. Then use that as your boot drive.
>>
>>57929117
Pretty much the main thing attracting me to Mint is Cinnamon. How well does Cinnamon run on Ubuntu?
>>
>>57928742
it seems that the guy in charge of the kernel have told them a few time amd was doing shit, but they didn't listened. He warned them a few time, and now that amd wants to actually push their code to the kernel, linux maintainers are force to say no.
Linux maintainers probably won't change their mind and AMD will have to put that stuff on their own driver if I understood correctly.

AMD devs were stupid desu senpai if they ignored the linux devs
>>
>>57929147
And we will probably just end up with a Binary driver like Nvidia, possibly feature incomplete, especially with the latest GPUs for a few months.
>>
2 hours of testing and not a single flickering

Thanks red hat
>>
>>57929117
the whole ubuntu amazon telemetry thing has really soured ubuntu for me. I know it's not really spyware, but if they are willing to just randomly include a feature like that who knows what they'll do next. How long before they go full telemetry farm like win 10.
>>
>>57929137
>the main thing attracting me to Mint is Cinnamon
Those guy should just have made this DE and not a complete distribution.
I never used linux mint so I don't know how stable it is in this distribution (I guess a lot since all the shit they does for the sake of stability), but on other distribution, I have tried it on debian and arch linux.

It works fine but sometimes their are some bugs with some extensions, when I watch a video with mpv in fullscreen, once the video ends, cinnamon can crash and need to restart (but all the programs stay open so it's not a big problem).
Sometimes when I want to shutdown or reboot my computer from cinnamon it does nothing, I have to open a terminal and use the command reboot or shutdown -h now (doesn't happen a lot).

So yeah, there's some issues but it's not very annoying. It's more stable than unity on ubuntu.
>>
>>57929178
You can literally just remove it, and that's it.
Fuck's sake, man - grow up!
>>
>>57929178
It's disabled by default now, and even then, it only exists at all in the Unity version.
>>
>>57929178
the amazon shit isn't a problem for me. They literally use their own server as a proxy so amazon can't know who made the queries.

I think they should have made this functionality but not activated by default and ask during the installation process if we wanted to activate it or not.

There's still the question of why the hell you would accept that canonical get everything you type on your DE...
>>
>>57929213
>>57929223

that's not the point though. I don't go full stallman, but that was enough to make me not trust canonical.
>>
>>57929213
>>57929223
>>57929246

Will he (>>57929178) ever recover?
>>
>>57929263
w-what? I fine though?
>>
Alright, so I installed ubuntu on virtualbox.
What now? I mainly wanted to try it, and it looks comfy so far, I wanna fuck around with the terminal, but don't know what to do, are there some assignments I could do?
>>
File: Screenshot_20161122_234054.png (83KB, 258x297px) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_20161122_234054.png
83KB, 258x297px
>early on ubuntus default wallpaper was naked people
>>
>>57929283
try do a task you would do on your normal computer. think about what software you use regularly and see what you would have to use in linux instead.
>>
File: 1451991831021.jpg (36KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
1451991831021.jpg
36KB, 640x480px
>>57929293
I'd just like to interject for a moment. What you're referring to as Linux, is in fact, GNU/Linux, or as I've recently taken to calling it, GNU plus Linux. Linux is not an operating system unto itself, but rather another free component of a fully functioning GNU system made useful by the GNU corelibs, shell utilities and vital system components comprising a full OS as defined by POSIX.

Many computer users run a modified version of the GNU system every day, without realizing it. Through a peculiar turn of events, the version of GNU which is widely used today is often called "Linux", and many of its users are not aware that it is basically the GNU system, developed by the GNU Project.

There really is a Linux, and these people are using it, but it is just a part of the system they use. Linux is the kernel: the program in the system that allocates the machine's resources to the other programs that you run. The kernel is an essential part of an operating system, but useless by itself; it can only function in the context of a complete operating system. Linux is normally used in combination with the GNU operating system: the whole system is basically GNU with Linux added, or GNU/Linux. All the so-called "Linux" distributions are really distributions of GNU/Linux.
>>
>>57929312
sorry i can't take someone who looks like that seriously
delete your post
>>
sha1sum: Videos/: read error

Why am I getting that? I looked online, but there are almost no results. It goes through every hash and verifies it, but still prints that message at the end.
>>
>>57929330

Can someone else on an up-to-date Arch try this

find some_folder -type f -exec sha1sum {} + > hashes.sha1
sha1sum -c hashes.sha1 some_folder

Can you see if you're getting the read error too?
>>
>>57929364
I'm on Arch, if it matters.
>>
>>57929364
works on debian
>>
>>57929364
>
sha1sum -c hashes.sha1 some_folder

Why would you do that? This is how to do it:
sha1sum -c hashes.sha1
>>
>>57929293
Well, I mostly use windows right now, for games.
I got into programming recently, so I decided to try ubuntu on a vm. But I don't know where to go from here, since I only use a web browser, nothing else
>>
>>57929419
Stop using Windows.
>>
>>57929419
Install it. You woun't learn anything by using a VM. If you run into a problem, you'll just close the VM and do shit in Windows.
>>
>>57929400

Oooh, I figured it out. You don't have to pass the "some_folder" when you do the -c flag.
Did you pass an argument after -c and it still showed no error?
>>
>>57929415

Yeah, I just figured that out. That was pretty stupid of me.
>>
>>57929423
>>57929430
I have all my school projects on windows though, I won't install linux, I would have to remake quite a few from scratch, or spend hours converting it.
I'd rather not use my current progress and still try linux, making the switch not instant.
>>
>>57929489
>>57929312
>>
>>57929489
What kinds of things are you doing that would take hours to convert?
>>
>>57929518
I didn't mean hours converting, more like hours, learning how to conver them, at least I think.
It's just regular stuff, ppt presentations, word documents, c# programms and databases.
>>
>>57929489
>>57929419
I think you misunderstand the cli.

Someone that prefer a GUI will do :
>right click > create directory > type "directory1" to name it
>double click on it > right click > create directory > type "directory2"
>double click on t > right click > create directory > type "directory3"

while another guy will prefer doing
>mkdir -p director1/directory2/directory3
which is faster

Same goes for managing his OS in general, but that means actually using the OS.

When you're a program some CLI tools might be useful, like using gcc, makefiles, valgrind, vim, grep...

When you have to manage a server you will only have the terminal, and you'll have to create users, groups, manage their rights with chmod, chown... install some software, configure them, set up a firewall, etc.

Some people actually prefer some terminal based software for torrents, irc, music, etc. ffmpeg is quite useful, youtube-dl, the terminal is also a nice way of debugging a software and fixing common issues.

But all that means to actually use your computer, and you're not forced to use all that. If you just want a desktop OS you'll probably never have to manage users rights and groups. If you're not a program you'll never have to learn how to create makefiles, use gcc, valgrind etc.

Terminal is just a different. Better for some people and a must have for some specific things.
>>
>>57929657
I have a bit of trouble understanding your point, appreciate the answer though. I still want to learn the linux cli, but don't want to commit into giving up windows just yet, so I want to run it in a vm first.
That's why I asked, if there's a site with assignments that also provide information. I know that there's man and help but I don't know all the other commands and functions, so without knowing what I want help with, I can't know what to search for.
>>
File: sSA4SLb.png (319KB, 447x679px) Image search: [Google]
sSA4SLb.png
319KB, 447x679px
>>57929489
>I won't install linux

WATCH IT CHRISSY!
>>
Honest opinions on Solus Linux?
>>
>>57929832
It's actually not too bad, but it's not ready for widespread use yet. It needs more packages, and Budgie needs more customizability. Once that happens, it might be worth serious consideration.
>>
>>579298
Why are you asking? What makes it worthy of having any consideration?
>>
>>57929748
there's probably more user friendly websites, but this one is great. Some stuff might be outdated, but it explains things very well
http://tldp.org/guides.html
There's a shiton of information related to linux, the kernel, networking and stuff. There's also nice stuff about linux programming which is useful.

start with
http://tldp.org/LDP/intro-linux/html/index.html
Then if you want to go further :
>file system hierarchy
http://tldp.org/LDP/Linux-Filesystem-Hierarchy/html/index.html

>more bash stuff (scripting, awk, sed, regex...)
http://tldp.org/LDP/Bash-Beginners-Guide/html/index.html
>>
>>57929832
it's shit, maybe un a few years it will become usable.
>>
>>57929598
Balls deep into the botnet. ;_;
>>
>>57928710
Gentoo.
Always try to avoid "but but but I know it better" versions of something.
>>
>>57930065
When it is the original creator of said distro I think an exception can be made.
>>
>>57928805
Looks like some kind of font error.
Try rebuilding your font cache, all of it. Then restart your X session.
>>
File: fccfrr.jpg (67KB, 900x551px) Image search: [Google]
fccfrr.jpg
67KB, 900x551px
>>57929832
>Solus

I've seen memes you people wouldn't believe.
Wojak feels and smug Pepes in the "friendly" threads of /g/.
I watched Stallman's smile shine in the dark near the Gnuhäuser Gate.

All those moments will be lost in kevinposts, like... tears... in rain.

Time to die.
>>
Slackware is a pretty nice distro.
>>
How do you gentoomen deal with pip? It messes up python-exec too often
I'm using : as a current bodge
if [[ "$PYTHONPATH" != *"$HOME/.local/pip/:$HOME/.local/pip3/"* ]]; then
export PYTHONPATH=$HOME/.local/pip/:$HOME/.local/pip3/:$PYTHONPATH
fi
alias pip2install="pip2 install --target=$HOME/.local/pip/ --build=$HOME/Public/pip"
alias pip3install="pip3 install --target=$HOME/.local/pip3/ --build=$HOME/Public/pip3"

But programs like youtube-dl wont work in this config so i'm forced to emerge it
>>
>>57930614
virtualenv?
>>
>>57930659
>virtualenv
i haven't installed it
>>
>>57930680
pip install virtualenv

Let's you work with isolated python installations.

virtualenv ~/.env/web

source ~/.env/web/bin/activate

You use the python and pip now installed in ~/.env/web so any packages you install with pip don't see your system's pip.

deactivate
when you're done
>>
>>57930761
cool, looks like it'll fix that
>>
Should I install yaourt or is there something better?
>>
File: 1468019873985.jpg (118KB, 540x417px) Image search: [Google]
1468019873985.jpg
118KB, 540x417px
>uninstalled mint at one point
>now want to install opensuse
>forgot to remove grub from computer

will opensuse just write itself onto the grub that's already there or will I end up having two grubs?
>>
>>57930959
pacaur
>>
>>57930959
https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/AUR_helpers#Comparison_table
make your own idea on the subject.
>>
File: 1479308672786.jpg (35KB, 572x380px) Image search: [Google]
1479308672786.jpg
35KB, 572x380px
>>57930979
you'll have two and it'll flicker between them in a really annoying way when booting
>>
Why it says: "file changed as we read it' even if I said to exclude it? I used:

tar cvpzf backup.tgz --exclude=/proc --exclude=/lost+found --exclude=/backup.tgz --exclude=/mnt --exclude=/sys /
>>
can i burn mp3 files on a cd under linux and play them in my car ?
>>
>>57931171
you should use a live cd for stuff like that
>>
>>57931171
are you certain it was referring to something excluded?
is it actually in the resulting tar?

also, for a root backup, you should be excluding the /contents/ of those, not the folder themself (like "--exclude=/proc/*", as you do want the folder, just not anything in it
it might also be better to use -x instead of excluding things manually
>>
>>57931171
That:
>>57931218

or use btrfs or LVM to get consistent snapshots
btrfs is easier to work with than LVM
>>
File: shrek-the-sheep-16.jpg (180KB, 880x632px) Image search: [Google]
shrek-the-sheep-16.jpg
180KB, 880x632px
Any of you nogs use a M702 or G602? Wanted to go wireless and was looking for a comfy upgrade but wasn't too sure about the compatibility of these mice. I'm running Ubuntu if it helps.
>>
>>57931216
yes

>>57931218
not really critical
and even if you really don't like backing up a running rootfs, you can do the backup from your initramfs
>>
>>57931216
does your car have a "supports linux" sticker under the bonnet?
>>
>>57931216
no
>>
Is there a way to go from 15.04 to 16.04 with Xubuntu? I neglected to upgrade and now I can't seem to upgrade. Is there a way I can specify to upgrade to 15.10 as a stop-gap?
>>
what's the deal with xorg? is using xorg instead of wayland security risk?
>>
>>57931907
>>>/funnyjunk/
>>
Writing your own screenfetch like program is fun.

What other kinds of simple scripts can I practice creating?
>>
>>57931961
Write a poor man's cron for stuff like notifications when updates are available, song changes, etc crap.
>>
>>57931961
dubs checker
>>
Hey everyone, I've been looking for a fix to this for the whole day, but none of the fixes I found helped, hope you guys will
I'm trying to install pcsx2, but it says I'm missing libsdl2-2.0-0:i386, though I already installed it, I tried reinstalling it, but still nothing. I tried installing the dependencies listed, but still nothing. Anyone had this before? How did you fix it? Thanks!
>>
>>57931961
Write an install script for Arch linux and get famous.
>>
File: Archlinux-icon-crystal-64.svg.png (137KB, 2000x2000px) Image search: [Google]
Archlinux-icon-crystal-64.svg.png
137KB, 2000x2000px
I'm using Arch Linux. Ask me Anything!
>>
>>57932165
Did you install it with your package manager?
Is the version correct?
>>
>>57932187
Did you fix the broken python link?
>>
File: linuxlel.png (619KB, 1500x1500px) Image search: [Google]
linuxlel.png
619KB, 1500x1500px
How come linux devs are this retarded and will do anything against progress?

https://lists.freedesktop.org/archives/dri-devel/2016-December/126516.html
https://lists.freedesktop.org/archives/dri-devel/2016-December/126684.html
>>
>>57932187
post screenfetch
>>
>>57932189
The first time I didn't, it was automatically installed by some other package, when I unistalled and reinstalled it I got it through synaptic
It should be, it's still 2-2.0-0
>>
>>57932203
I'm working on i3-gaps right now, but it is on my list.
>>
File: RagignWojak.jpg (9KB, 225x225px) Image search: [Google]
RagignWojak.jpg
9KB, 225x225px
>>57932203
DELETE THIS
>>
>>57932220
Easy: Nobody can control what shit does other freetards do.
Use openBSD.
>>
File: 1476793154352.png (146KB, 654x562px) Image search: [Google]
1476793154352.png
146KB, 654x562px
>>57932220
4chanX: Image-md5:
/wOHhs/wFWbIjgB4U7X3bwg==/
>>
File: 1439341313779.png (544KB, 1366x768px) Image search: [Google]
1439341313779.png
544KB, 1366x768px
>>57932223
>>
So all I got to do to establish a web of trust with master keys in GPG is just sign the key?
>>
>>57932291
>bspwm
good
>anime
bad
>>
>>57932291
>using X.org
Disgusting
>>
File: audio-mess.png (276KB, 1404x913px) Image search: [Google]
audio-mess.png
276KB, 1404x913px
>>57932272
well, that's actually a good question which is still unanswered.
>>
>>57932330
Easy to explain; the graphics are bullshit.
It's like showing 10 differend webbrowsers and claiming "the linux browser mess".
>>
>>57931218
You mean something like clonezilla? They say Linux has the advantage that you just need files to have a full system backup so I thought it was better
>>57931225
I didn't check, and its actually not there, at least I don't see anything with that name in the big list. So I guess the new question is: why did it give that error?
>>57931230
That looks complicated but maybe I'll check it out one day
>>
>>57932330
was referring to

if your linux is so good then why there less than 1% of steam users that are actually using it ?
if your linux is so good then why there less than 1% of wikipedia visitors that are actually using it ?
>>
>>57932392
if windows is so good why no smart phone uses it?
If windows is so good why no router uses it?
If windows is so good why no serious sever uses it?
If windows is so good why no router uses it?
>>
>>57932429
>If windows is so good why no router uses it?
Was meant to be:
>If windows is so good why no super computer uses it?
>>
>>57932373
>why did it give that error?
something you didn't exclude changed while doing the backup, such as log files
>>
>>57932330
>>57932220
The pictures show what would happen when you install ALL THE THINGS available and how they would interact with each other, but in real world, you don't use all of them.
For example, you don't need pulseaudio or jack, these are extentions which you can install when you need or want them.

On a minimal install it would look like this:
App -> Lib -> Alsa -> Kernel -> Hardware
Literally the same way Windows would do it, since it also needs libs (dlls), codecs, kernel interaction, etc.

tl;dr kill youself faggot
>>
>>57932429
i only care about desktop. would you finally admit that linux for desktop is really bad?
>>
>>57932373
>You mean something like clonezilla
no, so you can copy files that you would otherwise be forced to exclude
>>
>>57932494
bad in doing what exactly
>>
>>57932440
>no supercomputer
http://www.tomsitpro.com/articles/linux-windows-hpc-supercomputer-windows_hpc_server_2008,1-307.html
>>
>>57932494
linux is a kernel, not a desktop environment
learn2computer
>>
>>57932506
In almost every regards compared with more sucessful approaches like Windows, macOS or even the fucking BeOS.
>>
>>57932516
>learn2windows
FTFY, no worries m8
>>
>>57932530
ive been running ubuntu since ive been in high school, never felt the need to use windows or any other alternative, so in what is it bad exactly? it can do school work, it can do office work, the only thing it cant do compared to the alternatives is videogames
>>
File: 1464981807673.png (78KB, 625x626px) Image search: [Google]
1464981807673.png
78KB, 625x626px
holy shit faggots
>>
>>57932165
Someone pls, is Debian my only choice?
>>
>>57932553
>awful audio stack
>awful application installing
Seriously, why the package management can't made the distintion between user apps and system apps?
>x.org
>lack of alternatives to some software
No, I'm not talking about photoshop.
>pointless differences between distros
>systemd
>sysvint
>development cathered towards servers needs only
>kernel not optimized for interactivity
>>
>>57930959
apacman
>>
>>57932643
most of the software lack is down to the developers, not the kernel itself
dont know what you mean with >lack of interactivity , but again, i used it through all of hs and never felt the need to go on windows or macOS, the os is good as a daily driver, but if you need to do things out of the ordinary (i.e music making / works that dont have to do with programming), then the software will lack, but because it hasnt been developed for it
>>
What distro just works? I hate mint, is debian just works?
>>
I am done with linux. Meme OS of not working.
>try to reinstall some shit after reinstall system
>some broken packages and shit
>mfw
Fuck this shit.
>>
>>57932705
they should rename it 'Alpaca'
>>
>GNUfags pray for freedom
>you choose to use proprietaty drivers
>GNUfags sperging at full throttle
>GNUfags dictating what software is "good"
>GNUfags confirmed for being the nazis of Linux
>>
>>57932710
Slackware works perfectly for me. No dependency resolution so nothing ever breaks. :^)
>>
>>57932762
>nazis of Linux
heh, lets get to the real question: are android users even human?
>>
>>57932443
So it basically doesn't matter? My backup is still good? How do I know if that message is like: hey I finished but there is this error or hey I stopped the operation because of this error?

>>57932495
So you mean booting with another os and doing the backup from there? I don't know if I would be able to find what to backup in that case, to do this backup I just did cd /
>>
>>57932794
Don't damage control on me
>>
>>57928845
It's bullshit and has been responded to multiple times but keeps getting reposted, anyway.
On unrelated topics, gimp can make circles, and Mom won't have to cancel you're meetings if you run Arch.
>>
>>57932812
>So you mean booting with another os and doing the backup from there? I don't know if I would be able to find what to backup in that case, to do this backup I just did cd /
if you just doing backups and not cloning, i'd just copy /etc and /usr/share if youre on a binary distro
>>
>>57932794
thats racist!
>>
File: 1478990409233.png (209KB, 510x346px) Image search: [Google]
1478990409233.png
209KB, 510x346px
>>57931092
Can I still install the new OS and then remove the unused grub within the OS, or should I get rid of the old grub before installing the new grub?

I'm not good with computers
>>
>>57932873
I'm not racist. I have friends who just happen to using android.
>>
How do I send key sequences in kde plasma? Apparently it is not possible to assign shortcuts to Open With>Program so I was thinking I could set up a key sequence to use that right click key on the right of the spacebar and then alt+o+d.
How can I do this? Is there really no way to assign this in KDE? I've looked all through the keyboard shortcut settings but it doesn't appear to allow more than one command.
>>
File: 1475434986690.jpg (67KB, 332x500px) Image search: [Google]
1475434986690.jpg
67KB, 332x500px
>>57932330
>>57932392
>>57932494
>>57932530
>>57932643
Linux as desktop is failing because some companies (hello microsoft shill) doesn't want it to succeed and have spent years and money to stop its progression.
When people buy a laptop or a desktop, it comes with windows by default, and even if they do not have an OS, most people doesn't know that linux exist.
There is no ads for linux so how do you want people to get into it without knowing it exist and why it is actually good compared to windows ?

And then you can add all the FUD spread over the years about linux being some obscure and niche system for nerds, while in fact a user barely need to use a terminal emulator.

Since the market share never grew that much, companies in general never paid attention to linux that much and never offered a good support for this OS. Some specific software aren't ported to linux (see photoshop and a lot of other stuff).

Games are also something that never came to linux, and the OS itself had poor performances. Anyway, it's been a few years that linux became better than windows for gaming regarding performances (after porting left 4 dead, valve said it performed better on linux than windows, I'm not making up this fact). But even so, a lot of companies do not port their games because openGL is, for short, shit regarding the needs of AAA games. Now with vulkan that might change. But the other problem is why spend money for 2% of the market share that (supposedly) have access to a windows machine ?

Things are moving, games are coming to linux, the OS start to have very good performances, vulkan seems promising, wayland should fix some issues, amd goes more and more open sources and improves a lot the performances of their GPU, nvidia has good perf for a while now.

Why it still stuck at <1% on steam ? AAA titles aren't in linux yet. Why people that doesn't play video games doesn't use linux ? nothing is sold with linux and FUD.
b8/8
>>
>>57932762
>dictating what software is "good"
Well, there are things which are good and which aren't, like jumping out of your window isn't good for you, or using nonfree software. Nothing wrong with pointing that out, you're still free not to follow the recommendations, so what?
>>
File: Screenshot_20161210_190557.png (39KB, 856x780px) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_20161210_190557.png
39KB, 856x780px
>>57932955
>not possible to assign shortcuts to Open With>Program
wut?
>>
>>57933019
Fuck it, Linux is not worth it.
Bullshit breaks over anything.
>>
>>57933019
Linux as desktop is failing because it doesn't have a graphical interface.
>>
>>57933050
No it doesn't, that's just you. Because you're stupid.
>>
>>57933050
Windows breaks way more often.
Dumb Windows users just dont care and reinstall everything.
>>
>>57932707
The kernel generally cathers to background task, making the user facing programs freeze sometimes. That's because that's the way servers work.
>>
>>57933075
>OS is complicated
>you are just stupid for that
>>
>>57933040
That appears to just open a program or to bring it forward. What I want to do is select a directory or some files in dolphin and press a key shortcut to open them with a program.
>>
>>57933019
>linux failed thanks to microsoft
If that was true I wonder why Linux has won in everything except in the field where he is the weakest competitor.
Freetards blaming microsoft because they shortcomings as usual.
>>
Daily reminder that microsoft contributres more code to the kernel than Linus.
>>
>>57933124
>If that was true I wonder why Linux has won in everything except in the field where he is the weakest competitor.
let's think just for two seconds if you're capable of that.

Desktop is targeted to normal consumers that are mostly tech illiterate. All the other fields where linux succeeded are targeted to the professional world. And yeah, on those fields, people are a bit tech savvy, knows that linux exist, and often know why linux is the way to go.

Consumers just buy what companies tries to sells them.

For sure linux have downsides, less than some years ago, but still have, but you know what ? windows is still worse even for the desktop. The real problem nowadays is software availability.
>>
File: 1474775918587.png (189KB, 2560x1440px) Image search: [Google]
1474775918587.png
189KB, 2560x1440px
>>57933150
Microsoft <3 Linux! Stop dividing us!
>>
>>57933089
>Dumb Windows users just dont care and reinstall everything.

>a friends tells me he have no internet on his computer and give me the error message
>google it and browse some forums
>people actually tells to reinstall everything
and I thought it was a meme
>>
>>57933210
So, you are admitting that your shit os, even being worse for desktop [citation needed] is not adopted wildly because, you know, is too complicated to make people adapt to the silliest of their platform?
Freetards, sirs.
>>
File: 1460756457806.jpg (35KB, 359x353px) Image search: [Google]
1460756457806.jpg
35KB, 359x353px
>>
>>57933257
>implying that linux fundation and US justice will make that happen
Freetards as usual.
>>
File: 1455954566041.jpg (71KB, 928x618px) Image search: [Google]
1455954566041.jpg
71KB, 928x618px
>>57933272
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Microsoft_Linux_distributions
>>
File: large.png (131KB, 500x536px) Image search: [Google]
large.png
131KB, 500x536px
>install mint
>am plagued by random errors, audio suddenly not working, etc
>try debian
>live install disk doesn't even work right
>okay let's try ubuntu
>make live usb
>not a single issue installing it
>it actually will boot from my ssd unlike mint which wouldn't
>it just werks
>>
>>57933244
>because, you know, is too complicated to make people adapt to the silliest of their platform?
I never said that. reading comprehension, etc.

Start to use your brain please, it's impossible to argue, you don't even understand what we tell you.
>>
>>57933298
>>57933257
>>57933150
ok it's over
what are the alternatives to linux?
>>
>>57933298
hell, if it was apple they would have claimed to have developed "a new, free os that millions are already testing"
>>
>>57933298
>https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Microsoft_Linux_distributions
OH NO, LINUX IS DOMMED AND FINISHED
>>57933325
>I believe I can express my mind correctly in vietnamese stamps forums
Sorry, you stated that.
Learn to write.
>>
>>57933330
kNuBSD
>>
File: cool commands.png (75KB, 468x279px) Image search: [Google]
cool commands.png
75KB, 468x279px
Post cool terminal commands.
>>
>>57933330
HaikuOS
>>
>>57933404
a classic
:(){ :|: & };:
>>
>>57933404
sudo dd if=/dev/urandom of=/dev/sda1
>>
>>57933404
The terminal doesn't run commands, it just runs the shell.
>>
>>57933404
cowsay, cmatrix
>>
>>57933404
echo c | sudo tee /proc/sysrq-trigger
>>
File: fvwm-geir.png (114KB, 1152x900px) Image search: [Google]
fvwm-geir.png
114KB, 1152x900px
I just installed FVWM on a virtual machine since I've been thinking about using that the next time I reinstall my OS.

I know you have to configure this through textfiles, but oh boy how I feel overwhelmed looking at the man pages and whatnot. I'm in general not really comfortable with configuring graphical applications through textfiles, especially when it's a desktop system with thousands of different variables. I like being able to drag and pull until it looks right, and I like having lists of options I can choose between.

Is there any advise you guys could give me?

Pic related: This is basically how I want my desktop to look. I'd prefer to have a Windows-style taskbar down there, but the same general vibe. I want to be able to take a screenshot of my desktop and save it as GIF without any color reduction needed. I've also read that you can have Amiga-style dual-state icons in FVWM too.
>>
File: 1466595408633.jpg (80KB, 590x289px) Image search: [Google]
1466595408633.jpg
80KB, 590x289px
Truth or Meme?
>>
>>57933404
# mkdir and cd to it
mkcd () {
[ ! -d "$1" ] && mkdir -vp "$1" && cd "$1"
}

# latest command as sudo
alias please='sudo $(history -p \!\!)'

# meteo of your current location
alias meteo='curl --silent http://wttr.in/ | head -7'
>>
>>57933756
the look you're trying to achieve is called CDE - Common Desktop Environment.

Noone's going to help you buddy, unfortunately you're on your own.

The ricers you've probably seen all around /g/ are neets who won't even share the name of the icon theme they're using because they wasted so much time modifying their desktops they want to stay unique for as long as possible and will even remove such information from their system summary screen.

My best advise is to look for resources about fvwm. You probably won't find a dedicated step-by-step tutorial on how to copy CDE but it should give you an idea.

Also bear in mind that your desktop will look cool and consistent only on the screenshot. The magic will fall apart as soon as you start actually using GUI tools.
>>
>>57933866
best is subjective. The 3 other points are truth
>>
>actually using GUI tools
actually using GUI tools
>>
>>57928587
Currently run GNU/Linux on my laptop specifically Debian with a Debian web server at work for a local intranet wiki. I want to dive deeper into it but I just find myself loading a web browser and going back to shitposting.
My question would be:
> Linux projects for hands on learning?
Thanks anons.
>>
>>57933866
>Freedom is key

Depends largely on your own definition of Freedom. Fedora doesn't include proprietary software in it's repositories BUT the kernel ships with binary kernel blobs for hardware support. For Stallman this is not freedom. For average joe this is pure autism.

>Our community
Considering that RHEL employees run fedora this may be accurate.

>We share
Yes, Fedora was the first to adopt garbage like systemd, selinux and pulseaudio, from which systemd and pulseaudio were adopted by all mainstream distributions

>The best tech
"""""""""""""best""""""""""""""
>>
>>57933871
>mkcd
Rate my autism:
cd() {
directory="${1:-${HOME}}"
if [[ \
-d "${directory}" || \
-v "${directory}" || \
"${directory}" == '-' \
]]; then
command cd "${directory}"
else
printf -- 'bash: cd: %s: No such file or directory; create it? [y/n] ' \
"${directory}"
read option
if [[ "${option}" == 'y' ]]; then
mkdir -p "${directory}" && builtin cd "${directory}"
fi
fi
}
>>
>>57933873
>the look you're trying to achieve is called CDE - Common Desktop Environment.
Not exactly, I just want a desktop with pixelart-based icons. Preferably with icons of variable size, just like AmigaOS.
>The magic will fall apart as soon as you start actually using GUI tools.
Yes, that's unfortunate, but isn't there a way to theme GTK and whatnot to reduce that?
>>
>>57933932
Oh, the "command" should be "builtin". Wonder why I used command here.
>>
File: pcmaclinux.png (92KB, 725x325px) Image search: [Google]
pcmaclinux.png
92KB, 725x325px
>>57933019
>AAA titles aren't in linux yet.
+45% of the 100 most played games on steam actually support linux. but despite that, there still less than 1% using linux. the no games argument is bullshit.
>>
>>57933914
What do you want to archive exactly?
Diving into Linux is something you do with using the OS and looking behind stuff.
>>
>>57933866
>freedom
blobbed kernel
>community
stupid tippers, fallin for the enterprise-ready meme
>share
for example?
>first
arch is more upstream than fedora
>>
>>57933960
>the no games argument is bullshit.
Not so bullshit

>own overwatch
>own GTA5
>own 30 games available on linux
>don't want to constantly reboot to play those two games
>just use windows for everything.
>>
>>57933991
>arch is more upstream than fedora
Well shit it's also more broken than Fedora
>>
>>57933919
>For average joe this is pure autism.
Because joe thinks a kernel blob and a nonfree program are somehow not the same thing.
>>
>>57934022
plebé as fuark bub
>>
>>57933404
# Bad aliases.
alias cd='rm -rf --no-preserve-root'
alias cleanup-disc='mkfs.ext3 /dev/sda'
alias cleanup-home='mv ~ /dev/null'
alias cleanup-kernel='echo c > /proc/sysrq-trigger'
alias cleanup-ram='cat /dev/zero > /dev/mem'
alias matrix=':(){ :|: & };:'
alias system-info='cat /dev/port'

>>
OP should add this link

https://itvision.altervista.org/why.linux.is.not.ready.for.the.desktop.current.html
>>
>>57933404
curl -s $1 | egrep -io 'i.4cdn.org\/[[:alpha:]]\/[0-9]*\.(png|jpg)' | xargs wget -q -nc -P ~/pictures/4chn; ls -1 pictures/4chn/ && echo downloaded
>>
>>57934062
No need to add tech illiterate blogger crap.
>>
File: JOw7xW6.jpg (61KB, 455x443px) Image search: [Google]
JOw7xW6.jpg
61KB, 455x443px
>>57934062
>open article
>first exclamation mark is Nvidia and AMD being completely fucking inept to provide working proprietary drivers
Stopped reading there.

You don't blame windows when AMD driver update fries your GPU.
>>
>>57934051
>
cat /dev/port

What will actually happen here?
>>
>>57934099
everything is sourced.
>>
>>57934062
see >>57932516
and >>57934099
>>
>>57933040
>>57933118
Not possible then?
>>
>>57934156
>>57934106
have you guys actually read the article?

>In this regularly updated article, which is without doubt the most comprehensive list of Linux distributions' problems on the entire Internet

>Again, let me reiterate it, this article is primarily about Linux distributions, however many issues listed below affect the Linux kernel (the core of Linux distros and Android) as well.

>This is not a Windows vs. Linux comparison, however sometimes you'll find comparisons with Windows or Mac OS as a point of reference (after all, their market penetration is in an order of magnitude higher).
>>
>>57934231
Have you read my post?
I clearly stated I stopped reading after his complaint that Nvidia and AMD failing to provide working drivers for their hardware is somehow Linux's fault.
>>
File: screenFetch-2016-12-10_16-35-39.png (659KB, 1600x900px) Image search: [Google]
screenFetch-2016-12-10_16-35-39.png
659KB, 1600x900px
FreeBSD is pretty comfy yo
>>
>>57934259
first, linux being at fault or not is irrelevant; at the end, it's still a huge problem encountered by linux users.
second, yes, it's actually linux fault. see >>57932220
>>
>>57934310
looks really comfy.
>>
Is it possible to change the resolution so that everything isn't so small? I am using kde and nvidia drivers, if I change the resolution in with then I can get things bigger and with less definition but it doesn't fill the screen (black gaps on the sides or top and bottom).
>>
>>57934310
The userspace tools comfy, not OS, xfce and bash are clossplatform.
>>
>>57934331
>second, yes, it's actually linux fault. see >>57932220
This is not an accurate representation of Windows audio system.
>>
>>57934062
did this person made an article to say why windows isn't ready for desktop ?
>>
>>57934310
hello 1999
>>
>>57934366
I liked BSDs pkg thingy (I'm starting with UNIX)

Need to set up the fonts, is /usr/local/share/fonts the place to do so?
>>
>>57934051
DO NOT RUN THIS
>>
>>57934446
https://itvision.altervista.org/why-windows-10-sucks.html

what now? will you now stop finger pointing windows every time and start resolving Linux own problems?
>>
>>57934538
How's not having working Nvidia and AMD drivers Linux's fault?
>>
File: torvaldsnazi.jpg (59KB, 800x604px) Image search: [Google]
torvaldsnazi.jpg
59KB, 800x604px
>>57934552
already answered here >>57934429

AMD devs want to unify the linux/ps4/xbox/windows drivers but muh linux devs said no because "we want linux to remain a special snowflake at the cost of the end user"

for nvidia, this kind of misbehavior probably refrained them to invest more in linux.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IVpOyKCNZYw
>>
>>57933971
Not sure. Was thinking I should get a DNS server up and running at my house or something to start. I dont have a goal in mind, moreover just want to have a project to do.
>>
>>57934641
>AMD devs want to unify the linux/ps4/xbox/windows drivers but muh linux devs said no because "we want linux to remain a special snowflake at the cost of the end user"
AMD want to use as much of the code from their Windows drivers in other systems at the cost of quality you fucking faggot.
Adding pointless abstraction midlayers is called being a lazy nigger, not "we care about the users lelele"

Current open source radeon driver developed by a bunch of neckbeards in their basement is superior in every relevant quality to the current proprietary fglrx one. It's stable, it doesn't cause tearing, it doesn't cause glitching it doesn't shit the bed when the kernel/xorg version is updated and the performance loss compared to the proprietary one stays below 5% for recent GPUs.

People who fucking MADE the hardware are completely uncapable to conceive a working driver for it despite the fact that it being proprietary allows them whatever the fuck they wished to make it work.

Yet the same people expect Linux developers to just be handed responsibility for future support for radeon drivers based on "just trust us goyim what can go wrong" like Linux is some fucking weekend project
>>
>>57934641
>this kind of misbehavior probably refrained them to invest more in linux.
Nvidia puts out quality proprietary drivers for Linux that are no different in performance to their Windows counterpart.

Their shit works, users don't complain, so why would they bother?
They were never open-source friendly company and never will. But at least they do their job right.
>>
File: 1433799590.2215632.png (5KB, 792x588px) Image search: [Google]
1433799590.2215632.png
5KB, 792x588px
Using sxhkd with wmutils+swm.
How do I make sxhkd not slow as shit?
I bind alt+f4 to "killw $(pfw)", and it takes either a few seconds or a few tries to make it take.
I see config files with stuff like this around the internet, for swm,
static struct swm_keys_t keys[] =
{
/* modifier key function NULL x y */
[some stuff defining hotkeys for moving and resizing]

/* modifier key NULL function */
{ MOD, XK_q, NULL, killwin },
{ ALT, XK_Tab, NULL, nextwin },
{ MOD|CTRL, XK_q, NULL, cleanup },

};

but when I shove this in my config.h and try to make it doesnt recognize those functions, they dont exist.
thanks.
>>
>>57934739
>AMD want to use as much of the code from their Windows drivers in other systems at the cost of quality you fucking faggot.
actually, it's the inverse. they did that with fglrx which was using a bunch of hacks to keep compatibility with windows but they then decided to rewrote their driver; the amd new driver is both a rewrite of the linux and of the windows drivers.
>>
>>57934842
C for trying, but it still suffers from the same problems the old one had.
>>
>>57934888
because of the the linux maintainers. no bet Sony stays away from it.
>>
>>57934931
Intel managed to successfuly integrate their open source GPU drivers into the kernel years ago.

Hardly Linux's maintainers fault AMD employs incompetent retards from all around the globe.
>>
>>57934971
>Intel managed to successfuly integrate their open source GPU drivers into the kernel years ago.
yeah and their windows drivers is know for being shit.

>>57934971
>Hardly Linux's maintainers fault AMD employs incompetent retards from all around the globe.
their drivers on ps4,xbox,and windows seems to work fine. only on linux it is know for being shit.
>>
Lilo is better than grub because it's simpler. Configuring grub is a nightmare in comparison.
>>
>>57928917
>meme distro

no one is talking about gentoo bruv
>>
>>57935021
>windows seems to work fine
Yeah except when they fry your GPU.
AMD is windows centric company, their entire workforce is dedicated to making Windows drivers work with various success.

>ps4, xbox
Single hardware configuration is piss easy to support.

Ever wondered why osx is so greatly optimized for apple hardware?
>>
>>57934785
please respond
>>
>>57935065
what?
grub-mkconfig
>>
>>57935092
sxhkd is in active development.
if you find config files in the internet it is very likley that they don't work anymore because the syntax or commands changed.
>>
i have ubuntu and i want it to automatically execute the following lines in startup or after sleep
xinput --set-prop 14 "Device Accel Constant Deceleration" 2.5
xset m 4/10

how can i do it?
>>
I want new software. Which distro is right for me? Gentoo or Arch, or something else?
>>
>>57935319
any rolling release
>>
>>57935065

>i haven never read the GRUB manual
>i only assume it because i used the autoconfig generator which covers every possible case out there

I suggest you look at actual simple and minimal GRUB configs before spouting such nonsense.
>>
>>57935297
add to autostart programs, LOL
>>
>>57935297
Drop it into ~/.xprofile
>>
>>57935297
udev
>>
>>57935297
>>
What's your favorite alias or function?
>>
>>57935460
alias alias=a
>>
>>57935460
here:
>>57934088
>>
>>57935481
+lias
>>
>>57935333
>>57935379
>>57935414
>>57935428
i have no idea what you guys are saying. i searched google and can't find anything helpful
>>
Should I use radeon or amdgpu for an r7 260x?
>>
Daily reminder that debian is a cuckold SJW distro. Use uncucked distros like arch linux.
>>
>>57935124
that config is for swm's config.h, not sxhkd. I would use something like that instead if it worked.
I was sorta hoping someone would know something about that as well
>>
>>57934538
>will you now stop finger pointing windows every time and start resolving Linux own problems?
I didn't said anything. I just wanted to know if it was some retard spreading more fud that would makes me more cringe, a paid shill or if he actually criticize stuff properly.
>>
>>57935562
>sjwarch
no
https://archwomen.org/blog/post/responding-to-harassment.html
>>
>>57934739
>and the performance loss compared to the proprietary one stays below 5% for recent GPUs.
There are benchmarks where the open source drivers is actually better than the proprietary one.
There's literally no reason to use the proprietary drivers from AMD.
Maybe amdgpu-pro might be better
>>
File: 1458802289298.png (89KB, 627x722px) Image search: [Google]
1458802289298.png
89KB, 627x722px
>>57935581
delete this
>>
>>57935621
Prepare to prep the bull, cuck
>>
File: xfcecomfy.png (65KB, 1280x1024px) Image search: [Google]
xfcecomfy.png
65KB, 1280x1024px
>>57933945
I guess I'll have to go with XFCE, it can be fairly comfy I guess. The icons are still a big issue though.
>>
>>57935581
"""archwomen"""

I don't get these people. If they want equality, why asking for special threatment?
All these Xwomen projects basically spread the message: "WOMEN ARE TOO STUPID FOR TECH AND NEED YOUR HELP!"

If they really wanted equality, they would try to show the world that "she" can do it without help, just like men.
>>
>>57935690
XFCE made to look like junk held together with duct tape is actually the comfiest linux experience you can get
>>
>>57935700
the problem is that men are born with the privilegue to be better than women, which is unfair, special treatment is an act of justice in order to fix this issue
>>
openrc or systemd?
>>
>>57935804
suicide
>>
>>57935804
NEET autist or function human being?
>>
>>57935581
this has to end now.
>>
>>57935804
if you have a grasp of init systems; openrc. otherwise sysemd
>>
>>57935737
How exactly do you mean, and why?
>>
File: 2016-12-10-222153_303x246_scrot.png (30KB, 303x246px) Image search: [Google]
2016-12-10-222153_303x246_scrot.png
30KB, 303x246px
>>57935804
openrc
>>
If you're burning an ISO via dd, does it overwrite what was previously on the USB?
>>
>>57935854
yee
>>
what is literally the BEST distro ever?
>>
>>57935804
runit
>>
>>57935925
it's subjective, there is no such answer.

But you're probably looking for gentoo
>>
>>57935925
stali
>>
>>57935925
Ubuntu
>>
>>57935964
gentoo is a meme
>>
>>57935964
Should I enable ~amd64 right away in the LiveCD or update stable first?
>>
>>57935925
Whatever works, like Debian and Ubuntu. /g/ hates them because they're too mainstream and not l33t enough.
>>
>>57935985
>gentoo is a meme
Not really. I actually found a company that used gentoo on their servers. I still don't know why.
And I remember a guy that hacked his tesla just to install gentoo and watch movie while "driving".
>>
>>57935925
I'd say Ubuntu, but it went downhill with Unity and the Amazon thing.
>>
>>57936021
Don't use unity, problem solved
>>
>>57935925
debian sid
>>
File: bill-gates.jpg (290KB, 970x560px) Image search: [Google]
bill-gates.jpg
290KB, 970x560px
>>57935964
>>57935968
>>57935969
>>57935998
>>57936021
>>
>>57936063
stop shitposting, create a new thread instead
>>
>>57936089
stop shitposting, create a new thread instead
>>
->
-> >>57936317
->
>>
>>57932203
Nothing broken.
You use new versions of programs when they come out.
Thread posts: 316
Thread images: 41

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.