[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/fglt/ - Friendly Guhnoo Slash Linux Thread

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 310
Thread images: 43

File: is this image real or fake.png (732KB, 866x655px) Image search: [Google]
is this image real or fake.png
732KB, 866x655px
Previous: >>57914562

Welcome to /fglt/ - Friendly GNU/Linux Thread.
Users of all levels are welcome to ask questions about GNU/Linux and share their experiences.

*** Please be civil, notice the "Friendly" in every Friendly GNU/Linux Thread. ***

Before asking for help, please check our list of resources[*].

If you would like to try out GNU/Linux you can do one of the following:
0) Install a GNU/Linux distribution of your choice in a Virtual Machine.
1) Use a live image and to boot directly into the GNU/Linux distribution without installing anything.
2) Dual boot the GNU/Linux distribution of your choice along with Windows or Mac.
3) Go balls deep and replace everything with GNU/Linux.

* Resources:
$ man <insert command here>
$ info <insert command here>
$ help <insert command here>

Your friendly neighborhood search engine:
Try to use a search engine that respects your privacy such as qwant, searx, ixquick or startpage.

Check the Wikis (Most troubleshoots work for all distros.)
https://wiki.archlinux.org
https://wiki.gentoo.org

What distro should you choose?
https://wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Babbies_First_Linux

Break out of the botnet:
https://prism-break.org/en/categories/gnu-linux/

Learn more about Free Software:
https://www.gnu.org

Try GNU GuixSD:
https://www.gnu.org/software/guix/

/fglt/'s website:
http://fglt.nl/

/fglt/'s copypasta collection:
https://p.teknik.io/oJR7K

Friends:
>>>/t/707928 - /t/'s GNU/Linux Games
>>>/t/713097 - /t/'s GNU/Linux Training Videos
>>>/wg/6767536 - /wg/'s GNU/Linux Wallpapers (Part 2)
https://archive.nyafuu.org/wg/thread/6743571/ - /wg/'s GNU/Linux Wallpapers (Part 1)
>>
This is my thread now. I'm claiming it.
>>
File: 140414Terry.png (51KB, 200x201px) Image search: [Google]
140414Terry.png
51KB, 200x201px
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hd0nHKPu06E
>>
What is apt and aur exactly. Can arch install apt and have access to all the"Ubuntu" software?
>>
>>57925239
No.
>>
>>57925239
apt is debian/ubuntu's package manager.
aur is arch's user repository.
you can't install ubuntu packages directly on arch, but pretty much every ubuntu package is also available in arch's package manager, so it doesn't really matter
>>
>>57925239
Technically you could do that but it would break everything
and this >>57925339
>>
>>57925201
>>57925119

what gnu linux distribution does he use?
>>
>>57925874
https://stallman.org/stallman-computing.html
>>
>>57925890
I know, but what distro is on his leemote or whatever it is
>>
I'm about to install Gentoo for the first time. I'm scared, /g/.

I'm somewhat tech-savvy but I'm a normie who's only ever used Windows and the extent of my coding is Second Life. But I'm going balls deep on this. The install CD is currently DLing.
>>
>>57925874
Trisquel Linux
>>
>>57925900
>I use a Thinkpad X60 computer, in which the FSF installed a free initialization program (libreboot) and a free operating system (Trisquel GNU/Linux.)
>>
>>57925904
Anon no, you are getting memed, install an Ubuntu flavor as your first distro instead.
>>
When a developer makes software, can he make it general to Linux or does he have to remake it for all the distros?
>>
>>57925928

I was told Ubuntu is a meme for babies

besides Gentoo is almost done downloading
>>
File: ainsley-harriot-products.jpg (54KB, 220x249px) Image search: [Google]
ainsley-harriot-products.jpg
54KB, 220x249px
>>57925949
>>I was told Ubuntu is a meme for babies
You know what, yea I think Gentoo is perfect for you, anon.
>>
>>57925970

Your logic is flawless, I am now downloading Ubuntu.
>>
File: pepeofdebiangnulinux.png (26KB, 602x500px) Image search: [Google]
pepeofdebiangnulinux.png
26KB, 602x500px
>>57925904
Dont be memed, install a more usable linux distro first. (like debian)
>>
>>57925904
Use systemrescuecd instead. That way you can read along to the guide on the live cd while you do it. It's better. it has tons of tools too.
>>
>>57925904
disregard idiots like >>57925928
there's literally nothing hard or "pro" about it.
and this one isn't just an idiot, judging by his use of debian he has something more serious >>57925986
possible severe and irreversible brain damage
>>57925991
like what? everything you could possibly need is on the livecd. could be wrong though since that's the only way i've ever done it.
>>
>>57925986
cool buzzwords
it it perhaps more lightweight and enterprise friendly as well?
>>
>>57926005

I'm not really picky

I'm just trying to Frankenstein a garbage broken -hard-drive PC into a working one.
>>
>>57926005
Oh, I guess that would work too. I thought he was downloading the minimal install cd with just a console.
>>
>>57925904
honestly if you let yourself get memed by gentoo you deserve your fate
>>
>>57926030
well, gentoo doesn't really care
it'll work for you
just avoid debian if you don't want to lose your humanity
choose something like ubuntu instead if that's what you need. debian is literally the shittiest of shit

i would suggest gentoo though as its literally the best.
>>57926044
explain in what way gentoo is a meme.
you have 30 seconds. im waiting!
inb4 long compile times
im sorry if your a 3rd worlder and you don't have a good cpu
""""""""argument"""""""" discarded
>>
>>57926044
Gentoo is actually one of the best distros, though.
>>
>>57926063
what this guy is saying is true. just cross-referenced it with my data and i can verify with 100% certainty that what is said in this post is true
>>
>>57926058

I know nothing of Linux, but I'm not too much of a normie.

Really, anything is a step up from the usual. I have to use an electron microscope with fucking DOS.
>>
>>57926073
just use one of the best distros (gentoo) right away then.
following the gentoo handbook shouldn't be hard at all if you aren't literally mentally disabled as most debian users seem to be.

avoid shite like debian at all costs. use something like ubuntu if you just want most things to work out of the box.

that's pretty much all you need to know for now. the rest you will have to learn on your own
>>
File: sure got me.jpg (37KB, 458x293px) Image search: [Google]
sure got me.jpg
37KB, 458x293px
>>57925986
>debian
>usable
>>
>tfw distro hopped everywhere
>every linux distro is buggy, broken, or has zero google results for problems. Every DE is fugly out of the box
>>FreeBSD
>MacOS is a buggy, bloated mess that requires expensive shit hardware, but it is decent to look at every day
>haven't tried Ubuntu Unity
Is it the only decent *nix OS with decent support, software, and flexibility?
all I really need to do is use the internet, and occasionally play OpenMW and minecraft
>>
>>57926175
have you used gentoo?
>>
>>57926182
Do I have to spend an hour recompilling my kernel every time I have to upgrade ffmpeg?
>>
How do I make Katawa Shoujo accessible from my Applications menu? I don't want to have to dig through the file explorer whenever I want to play it. Using Cinnamon.
>>
>>57926216
lmao
says he "distro hopped """"everywhere""""" and hasn't used literally the best distro aka gentoo
nope, that's not how it actually works.
if your cpu is from this century it shouldn't take you an hour to recompile your kernel.
and no, ffmpeg updates can't possibly trigger the need to recompile your kernel as far as i know
>>57926232
idk mate, try not playing crap first. that should solve every single problem you have
>>
>>57926175
any GNOME 3 or KDE distro is actually very nice to look at.
>>
>>57926257
>GNOME 3
>nice to X
if X != not use/uninstall
pick 1 (one)
>>
intended for five7926257
>reddit
>dota
>hackernews
>opens up his css code to look like a cool "programmer"
lmfao
you are living meme
also
>>>/r/eddit
>>>/r/lgbt
>>>/r/yourfavoritesubreddit
>>
>>57926240
>falling for the gentoo meme
>>
>>57926257
Why did you even feel the need to post this shitty screenshot?
>>
>>57926292

it is the css for the start page you are looking at
>>
>>57926312
>falling for the "falling for the meme" meme
copied from a previous post:
"explain in what way gentoo is a meme.
you have 30 seconds. im waiting!
inb4 long compile times
im sorry if your a 3rd worlder and you don't have a good cpu
""""""""argument"""""""" discarded"
>>57926320
yeah, that looked so fucking cool. you must be a programmer or something. did you learn programming at /r/programming too?
>>
>>57926315
to show how nice looking gnome 3 is
>>
>>57926334
but you just did the exact opposite. you also discredited yourself by trying to look cool with all that mysterious code and a literal link to reddit on your homepage. you guys don't even try to hide it anymore.
fuck off back to your home website https://reddit.com
>>
>>57926331
why are you so upset?
>>
>>57926334
for that you would have to show a screenshot of KDE and lie
>>
>>57926340
how can you hear my voice? i don't even have a microphone
you still failed to explain in what way exactly is gentoo a meme
please don't use words you don't even understand, that's not appreciated on this site.
>>
>>57926358
i am the desktop poster not the gentoo is a meme poster
>>
>>57925119
Need some help /g/, bigtime! I need to undo the 'systemctl disable foo' commands that I typed in, I don't know if there is a command to delete those entries. I made the mistake of following a guide written by an Indian and my system is tucked netctl and dhcpcd were disabled
>>
>>57926358
because your salty enough about it
>muh use flags
>muh optimuzation
cancer please go
>>
>>57925904
It's not that hard. I've found the Gentoo Wiki to be much clearer and beginner-friendly compared to the Arch Wiki (despite what most people say).

Gentoo is pretty comfy too, good luck and don't forget to configure the kernel manually.
>>
>>57926232
Create a .desktop file for it and put it on your /usr/share/applications folder or ~/.local/share/applications if you prefer to have it there for your user only.
>>
File: IMG_20161209_212746.jpg (154KB, 1152x2048px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20161209_212746.jpg
154KB, 1152x2048px
I got my mom and girlfriend to use Linux. My crusade continues.
>>
>>57926415
gnu linux
>>
>>57926415
Go away attentionwhore
>>
>>57926364
im upset because your kind feels the need to come here and shit this place up
please stay on your shitty "website"
im not even against immigrants, but please leave your shitty "culture" behind when you decide to post here.
just close that website and never visit it again.
if you feel the need to do so then you have a choice before you.
use it or use this site.
there is no third option.
i hope i've made myself clear enough.
i wish you'll become a better poster, either way, just fuck off if you wanna visit that site.
>>57926381
>using reddit meems like "m-" and "s-"
literally kill yourself mate
nice "arguments" though
prepare something better next time you decide to make a shitpost
>>57926382
that's what i found as well.
genkernel is fine though for his first time. i think manually configuring it from an already working system is better.
>>
File: mpv-shot0009.jpg (253KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
mpv-shot0009.jpg
253KB, 1920x1080px
>>57925201

how does he even know the in and outs if he has never installed it? does he know what a swap is?
>>
>>57926378
systemctl enable example.service

symlinks should get remapped
>>
>>57926436
Not attentionwhoring, I just think it's funny that my mom asked and wants Linux.
>>
>>57926232
Do you mean from the start menu? Right click the menu button, hit configure, then go here.
>>
>>57926446
>is here for two months
>decides to shit this board up
>>>>>>>reddit.com/irc/
>>
>>57926446
I have been using 4chan since 2009

reddit is a good news aggregator, and it's free software. I will continue to read reddit and use 4chan unless happily reddit refuses to comply with the FSF's requests to free their javascript.
>>
>>57926471
His main day to day stuff is writing for magazines, co-ordinating FSF business over email, and writing speeches. He probably has some drafts of GPLv4 or something he is working on as well.
>>
>>57926477
>reddit is a good news aggregator, and it's free software
different anon here, but i'd say reddit's aggregation quality has gone downhill since it started getting infested with your average chucklefuck
new.ycombinator is nice, and slashdot is good enough for rossman
>>
>>57926461
fuck off if you've been here only for 2 months
lurk for at least 1 year before posting, that should be enough for your retarded mind
if you decide to post before that then it sure as fuck shouldn't be a post of your screen with epic css code in it to show everyone how cool you are.
by the way, here's the link for you to fuck off to https://www.reddit.com/r/gaming/
>>57926477
lmao, sure. i've been using it since the 20s right after the war

you're "memes" aren't lifted straight from reddit and your definitely the first immigrant i've seen here using the exact same tactics.
you should use every single website that is free software then if that's your only criteria.
there are other news aggregators which aren't complete shit. if you still continue to use reddit then read my other post.
>>
>>57926507
>can't read greentext
>clearly frightened and confused
you poor thing
>>
>>57926527
is that what you call it on reddit?
interesting...
how can you possibly claim to know my state of mind just via text? seems like an absurd proposition to me
im not a "thing" though since i don't visit reddit
>>
>>57926257
Don't listen to >>57926274 and >>57926315 I love gnome3 and they're just babies who whine about "muh resources" and "itz different!!!1"
>>
@@57926536
(You)
>>
>>57926540
>i love Gnome 3 therefore it isn't shit
>muh
>itz
>!1
I wonder which website this guy came from.
>>
>>57926543
this isn't how we actually link on this website. I guess it's different on reddit
On this site you prefix the post number with two symbols in quotes right here ">>" (leave out the quotation marks)
>>
>>57926257
>GNOME 3
no thanks, I don't like tablet design elements
>KDE
the only KDE distro I know of is OpenSUSE, which nobody seems to care about, unfortunately
I would probably like arch if pacman was a bit more user friendly
But from everything i've seen, Unity seems like a decent looking choice, and ubuntu has all the developers
>>
>>57926550
Come up with valid criticism of gnome3 that doesn't revolve around it being heavy on system resources (which doesn't fucking matter on a practical level as everyone's got more than enough ram for it) or about it not being similar enough to a traditional desktop metaphor.

Whatever you say, I'm sure it applies to multiple DEs or that the ones you think are superior have issues as well. None of them are perfect. It's nothing more than personal taste, and I'm ready to see you try to make a retarded "objective" argument.
>>
>>57926571
I mean, there's Kubuntu, which is technically a distro.
>>
>>57926573
I don't like that it's touch screen oriented. Because of this design it has giant icons in its menus and it's pretty ugly. But, I do love how it looks on the desktop, the curved edge does look nice and the animations are good. I just feel like I can be more efficient with other de's that have a generic approach that are similar to Windows ui.
>>
>>57926573
it's just total shite from every single perspective imaginable.
nah, not every de uses the buggy and retarded piece of shit that is gtk3
a buggy, retarded, "tablet", "touch screen" piece of dogshite can't even be called a de as far as im concerned
nope, kde doesn't use gtk3 therefore it doesn't have more than 90% of the issues gnome has.

i don't fucking care about resources since i have 16gb of ram but i wouldn't imagine someone with 8gb would care either.
>>57926571
>unity
even shittier than gnome, and that is pretty hard to achieve.
do whatever you want, just avoid unity and gnome.
you could try them for testing purposes but you'll just waste your time since they are both very retarded "DEs"
>>
File: imagedotjaypayg.png (219KB, 425x424px) Image search: [Google]
imagedotjaypayg.png
219KB, 425x424px
>>
>>57926573
>heavy on resources
When have you ever fucking seen this "argument" mentioned? It must be a common one on your home website.
I suggest you fuck right back off to it.
>>
>>57926571
>ubuntu has all the developers
not really, it has a lot but not much more than Debian or Fedora

I used unity for a year and a half and it's just fine, the HUD is really neat. The problem that I had with it was that the dash isnt really as nice as any other DE's launcher, and it was kind of ugly.

For KDE you can choose Kubuntu, OpenSuSE, Debian, Mageia, Linux Mint(semi insecure), Gentoo, Arch or Slackware if you want a difficult to maintain system.

https://community.kde.org/Distributions#Mageia

Also, gnome does not really have tablet design elements. GTK header bar takes less vertical space than KDE's window decoration and toolbar. The only thing really tablety is the gtk3 tabs are full width
>>
>>57926602
>even shittier than gnome
finally a response
that's a shame, i guess i'll stick with Xfce for now
>inb4 some weeb tells me to rice openbox
>>
>>57926605
I wonder which website this image came from.
>>57926623
Xfce is pretty good. Also try out MATE, you might like it even more.
>>57926622
>gentoo or arch
>difficult to maintan
lmao
>>
>>57926602
name one gtk+3 bug
>>
>>57926592
Titlebars are fixable by a small edit to a .css file in the config folder, except for the in-house gnome ones which rely on having those over sized buttons. It's my only criticism of gnome3, and one that doesn't matter that much on higher resolution displays, but under 1600x900 you feel how much wasted space that is.

>>57926602
okay lol, terrible argument but you tired. Also, unity while not as good as gnome3 is literally also fine. It's one of the least buggy DE's I've ever used. The only thing wrong with it is how fucking intent they are on making you NOT able to customize it.

In fact, them removing the ability to move the titlebar buttons is what started my switch from unity to gnome3.

>>57926621
Literally all the time here on /g/. Any time you mention KDE, Unity, or Gnome3, people bitch about system resources. 4chan is my only home. I have no place else to go but here.
>>
>>57926634
Uhh.... Uhhh.....
>>
>>57926458
"New Item" isn't doing anything.
>>
>>57926632
>I'm using a DE reccomended by a redditor
It came from Know Your Meme, faggot
>>
>>57925119
this thread is not very friendly at all
>>
>>57926634
gtk3
>>57926638
> Also, unity while not as good as gnome3 is literally also fine
yeah, wouldn't expect less from a gnome fag
anything you write after this point is literally worthless
> It's one of the least buggy DE's I've ever used
yess.... the objective quality of software and its bugginess is negated by your feelings i get it.
didn't even fucking read the rest of it.
don't even bother writing a "response" if you feel like being this retarded
and please don't try to fool anyone here that you aren't just off the boat
>>
>>57926638
>okay lol
I wonder which website this poster comes from.
>>57926651
But I'm not even using a DE.
>>
>>57926661
It's the reason why linux hasn't taken off
some salty retard says Gentoo or GTFO and everyone gets scared away
>>
>>57926679
>salty
Stopped reading right there.
>>
>>57926679
I don't know why people get angry over this shit. It's pretty retarded.
>>
>>57926664
>>57926677

Accusations of being from reddit are one of the more obnoxious things people on /g/ try to do to make themselves feel more superior.

There's literally no way to prove someone is other than them making a reference from reddit which would require YOU to also frequent reddit, or through finding it open in their browser.
>>
>>57926679
>some retard says Gentoo or GTFO
post the exact quote of this
i'll wait.
>>
>>57926679
Its always something along the lines of someone asking what should he install and everyone suggesting something different while engaging in an endless loop of insulting the other choices
>>
>>57926686
but i don't need to feel superior to anything. i am by definition superior to ANYONE who visits or has at any point in time visited the website reddit.com since i don't do it myself.
here's an example - you don't need to feel superior to a dog since you by definition are.
>There's literally no way to prove someone is other than them making a reference from reddit which would require YOU to also frequent reddit, or through finding it open in their browser.
there's another way, interacting with hundreds of fucking immigrants and knowing how they talk
you can literally tell if someone is from reddit merely by the "memes" they use or how incorrectly they use memes which have become popular elsewhere but were originally from here.
a good example would be "REEEEEEEEE" i've seen it used incorrectly here in this very thread dozens of times.

i just hope you overlooked this point and you aren't actually so retarded as to think that you can only obtain information on a certain "people" by actually going and living in their culture.
>>
File: restart.png (19KB, 405x366px) Image search: [Google]
restart.png
19KB, 405x366px
>>57926646
Really? Nothing pops up when you click New Item? Right click your panel, restart Cinnamon, and try it again.

If that still doesn't work then I recommend doing what this anon suggested: >>57926411
>>
>>57926716
Culture doesn't exist in a bubble. There's a reason why aspects that would have once been considered foreign in American culture become domestic. Get enough redditors on the website, and even non-redditors will start to pick up on how they speak.

To assume that anyone who uses a certain "word" ignores that fact, as well as ignoring that very few websites have lingo that is entirely unique and not shared with other sites.
>>
>>57926702
No, it's because someone recommends the distro that takes hours to install and then proceeds to shit up the thread
>>57926638
>The only thing wrong with it is how fucking intent they are on making you NOT able to customize it.
well, that sucks
>>
>>57926729
Tried, still nothing. I also tried what the other anon suggested, but that didn't work either.
>>
>>57926736
yes. this is true, but you are overlooking the fact that this website doesn't have a critical mass of redditors in it, yet.
non-redditors like me won't start picking up their speech patterns since I feel disgusted by the mere thought of seeing them. I imagine there are quite a few people like me here and we should do a better work of providing a hostile environment for immigrants who wish to keep their shitty "culture". this site doesn't recognize dual citizenship.

It's not only the usage of certain words, how they speak in general is very telling and gives away the fact that they do visit that website.
>>
>>57926749
Shit anon, I don't know what to tell you, sorry.
>>
>>57926776
What's strange is that the only button that ever does anything is the "New Menu" button. Why that, but nothing else?
>>
>>57926749
try asking your question on linux mint IRC channel on freenode.
>>
>>57926769
Again, you miss the entire point. I do not frequent reddit, but maybe I do have reddit mannerisms. I wonder how I could have picked that up...

Oh, shit, I know! Maybe people who frequent 4chan, and people who frequent reddit...also frequent OTHER SITES. Or, most likely in my case, IRC. I'm signed into an IRC channel for a podcast I like to listen to which has an IRC Channel. A lot of the people in that channel visit the reddit and facebook groups.

And if you think there isn't a huge flux reddit people who come to 4chan, then you've not been here long enough. It was a common thing back when desktop threads weren't banned to see people with reddit open. People will mention going to the site for advice on building a PC. They're everywhere.

All you're doing is attacking anyone who you think is a redditor, regardless of any evidence. Like a dumb american who attacks a sikh temple thinking it was a mosque.
>>
>>57926769
>>57926716
>lintards are schizophrenic
Not surprised
>>
>>57926805
>Like a dumb american who attacks a sikh temple thinking it was a mosque.
perfect analogy
>>
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mirai_(malware)

>malwarethat turns computer systems running Linux into remotely controlled "bots", that can be used as part of abotnet in large-scale network attacks

Install FreeBSD.
>>
File: 1464544999788.jpg (32KB, 480x496px) Image search: [Google]
1464544999788.jpg
32KB, 480x496px
System won't boot with external monitor/tv plugged in :^(
>>
>>57926835
Install Windows 10
>>
>>57926820
>linux viruses
what the fuck am I running this crap OS for if I don't even get the security?
>>
>>57926646
Drag and drop it into the launcher.
http://unix.stackexchange.com/questions/205233/how-to-add-shortcut-to-cinnamon-taskbar

Otherwise read the Cinnamon documentation.

This is why I don't use aids like Cinnamon or w/e junky software that's impossible to intuitively figure out/edit. You can install fvwm or some other minamalist DE and configure everything yourself in half the time it takes to learn how to add one new item to Cinnamon
>>
>>57926839
Windows 10 has a terrible font
>>
>>57926840
Mirai is basically just outdated IOT devices like smart fridges and wifi routers, which is what makes it the most powerful botnet currently.
>>
>>57926820
Aren't you supposed to be fixing your Man-in-the-middle vulnerability discovered in august?
>7 months
Seriously, how shitty is your ""security"" team?
>>
>>57926840
Linux 2016 is essentially the same security state of Windows ME. No joke, it's pure shit.

I'm talking about standard default installs like Mint and Debian which have all kernel protects off and no sandbox by default. Meanwhile Fedora has SELinux enforcing sandboxes by default, and at least some kernel protections turned on, and at least a half assed IPtables policy.

This is constantly lamented on Hacker News what a shit state Ganooo Linnuux has become on the desktop compared to the server versions which have enabled these features by default.

Of course you can turn all this shit on yourself and recompile patched kernels, create own insanely complex SELinux sandboxes but nobody ever does
>>
>>57926874
Well my primary distro has a decent ootb security defaults, unlike FreeBSD
>>
File: 1461474044720.png (479KB, 823x1616px) Image search: [Google]
1461474044720.png
479KB, 823x1616px
>>57926820
>autism OS
>>
>>57926850
Install MacType
>>
>>57926907
NSA doesn't have a direct line to it :^)
>>
>>57926883
Yep, FreeBSD is also a laughing stock (talking about DEFAULT installs here, something that like 90% of people use and 10% actually enable all the protections if that).

For example, pdf readers. That's where like the majority of hacks still come from and easily you could script any distro to automatically sandbox the pdf reader, create it's own user specifically for running (free and open) pdf viewers with no other rights, and a firewall policy that blocks all outbound connects of said pdf user. All of this can happen invisibly and effortlessly completely abstracted from the pleb user who just wants to read a pdf and not get cryptolocker'd or rooted. But no we can't be bothered and instead enable legions of criminals
>>
>>57926910
Still lack of fonts
>>
>>57926916
NSA has direct line to your ISP
>>
>>57926927
My ISP runs freebsd
>>
>>57926935
Which has a direct line to the NSA
>>
>>57926918
>>57926874

what does Apparmor do?

is ubuntu/debian safe out of the box?
>>
>>57926805
If you can't detect reddit mannerisms it's you who hasn't been here long enough. I can see them very clearly and you don't posses them as far as I can tell, neither do I (i run a monthly test on myself with random posts some of which are mine once in a while)

IRC would be a potential false positive since there can be other people who use both it and reddit but it's still pretty distinct from pure, just-off-the-boat reddit-speak the most fresh immigrants use.
you could still tell their native language though, just like you can tell whether or not I'm a native speaker of English just by reading this post.
slang is exactly the same, just a little more subtle obviously.

Like I said, there are a lot of them, but still not enough to threaten the majority status of natives. If the number becomes high enough, then yes, telling natives apart from redditors would become harder due to the influx of reddit terms into the general vocabulary. I think with the current number of them rational redditor calculation is still possible and you say with certainty that one is a redditor just by looking at a few posts from him. They usually don't post a lot if they are really new, in that case it's extremely easy to tell since their reddit-speak hasn't been diluted to a sufficient degree yet.

I am attacking anyone who i have determined to be a redditor beyond reasonable doubt. This test hasn't failed me yet so I will continue to use the exact same rational basis if the empirical data supports it. I would need to change something if it suddenly stops working though i hope we can reverse the current trend before this needs to be done.
>>
>>57926975
Again though, you've proven nothing. Your test is literally just "If I feel they're a redditor". I'm not from reddit, and I'm sure many of the people you think are also aren't.

There's no way to prove you right, and no way to prove you wrong. It's nothing but your gut feeling, which means jack shit.
>>
>>57926975
Did your therapist take a vacation?
>>
>>57926944
No, Ubuntu Server by default has some protections on.

https://grsecurity.net/compare.php

One thing you want to do, is either use KVM and create a special VM for browsing and another for stuff like banking. This is good enough security, as the AIDS your browser VM get's infected with can't normally access your banking info.

Failing that it's possible to make an SELinux sandbox just for your browser. https://news.ycombinator.com/item?id=10030868
>>
Which package manager would be best suited to learn if i was to work as a linux sys admin? I've been using kubuntu on my laptop for a while i thought it might be time to switch to either Fedora, Antergos or Manjaro, Mint is alright too.
>>
>>57926975
>mah feels
What the fuck are libshits doing on /g/?
>>
>>57926994
zypper. dnf or yum
>>
>>57926975
If this isn't pasta then I recommend you take a break from this place.
>>
>>57926989
How can you possibly claim to know this if you don't know the conditions of my test?
I literally have functions for calculating the probability of someone being a redditor based on their usage of memes and various other reddit specific language, i also manually account for them incorrectly using popular memes. You test false therefore I operate under the assumption that you aren't a redditor. That other guy was an obvious redditor though.

Of course I can't prove something without actually reading their mind, but a 98-99% chance is fine by me.
>>57926990
I don't have one.
>>57926997
I wouldn't know since this doesn't apply to me. You are in the most leftist thread imaginable though so I wouldn't be surprised if they are among us
>>57927021
Why do you think so?
>>
File: 2016-12-10_01-54-13.png (426KB, 1268x4250px) Image search: [Google]
2016-12-10_01-54-13.png
426KB, 1268x4250px
>>57927025
That's the thing dipshit. I am BOTH of those guys. The person you called a redditor AND the person you said wasn't. Your test doesn't exist, and if it did it would be now proven to be bullshit.
>>
>>57926994
Go on libgen.io and get any book with the title 'devops' in it

https://news.ycombinator.com/item?id=10030868
http://libgen.io/book/index.php?md5=3F41E062912E8648EB4D9BD0AA5FD9AA

Those 2 are good. Realize that nobody is actually running a server anymore, everybody is using a container, usually Docker controlled by Kubernetes or Google 'Cloud Compute' junk.

You can get RHEL 'developer version' for free by signing up for it: https://developers.redhat.com/products/rhel/get-started/

Then go on libgen again and get any RHEL related certification book that tells you how to use it and understand complex junk like PolicyKit.

As a modern devops/sysadmin all you are doing is tearing through logs with Grep/Sed/Awk, automating a bunch of Vagrant commands with Python, and stringing together about a billion containers using Kubernetes.

Finally get the book 'Site Reliability Engineering' by google that just came out, as sysadmins are now called "SREs".

Enjoy the insane complexity bullshit
>>
>>57927050
There is one likely possibility - you just edited this page in your browser, and there's an unlikely one - you guys have actually figured out how to mask yourselves, which means we have to switch to something more drastic than just mocking you. Some kind of real world preemptive retribution perhaps.
I really hope you were just joking and it's the first one. I don't want to do any harm to innocent people
>>
>>57927052
Fuck I pasted the wrong book
http://libgen.io/book/index.php?md5=E34E4802AE102620EFFB800E014D679C
>>
>>57927069
Would you care for a webm of me filming my monitor, upon refreshing so you can tell that I've not edited it?

I'll do it if you ask nicely, but I imagine you're tin foil hat all the way down.
>>
>>57927069
Oh, and I forgot to mention, there's three possibilities. The third is that I'm not from reddit, as you correctly guessed the second time, and that your 'test' is not just false, but a little game you're playing so that you can end it by saying your stupid act was just trolling all along.
>>
>>57926804
Linux Mint IRC is on spotchat.
>>
>>57927085
That wouldn't be proof. I would actually have to physically see it or have access to the 4chan servers, neither of which seem likely.
If you are in Switzerland right now or anywhere close to the Swiss-German border we could arrange a meeting, but you'd have to keep your 4chan cache and cookies. And this is assuming you're using a laptop. Obviously we would discuss the details in a more private channel, IRC should be fine I think.
>>57927110
There are only two possibilities - you were playing a joke or you really are from reddit and you can just mask your mannerisms at will. Which is a very scary prospect to say the least
>>
>>57927149
Your inability to realize that the very fact someone could hide their mannerisms might also be evidence that cross-culture contamination without ever having been to reddit is the most frustrating part.

Here's a crazy idea, one that I'm probably not going to do but seems like it could in theory "prove" things for you. I verify the hash of Ubuntu Gnome or Debian testing which I have downloaded on the camera, then burn it to a USB stick which you'll watch me format, which I'll then put into a x230 that you'll watch me wipe the contents of with said distro, and once it's completed installing (all in front of the camera), I'll open up Firefox to this thread.

That proof enough? I almost want to do it because it sounds so comical and over the top.
>>
Windows 10 or Gentoo?
>>
>>57927166
Hiding deeply ingrained mannerisms is physically impossible unless you have some kind of CIA operative training. Even then I don't think it's possible to hide your native language at will, something small would still occasionally slip through. Granted, I can't actually detect the smallest of things but still.

I can easily weed through false positives but your case is something different. It appears you can hide your reddit mannerisms at will. Or you are just joking which I'm okay with at this point.

Would I see every single step of the process? Meeting up honestly sounds easier than that if you are in the geographical area I specified in my earlier post. I could drive out if you want. We would meet in a place with cameras and a large amount of people of course, but this can be discussed somewhere more private since I don't want third parties knowing anything more.
>>
>>57927197
Neither. You'll spend all your time reading "guides" and not learning. There's no reason to put yourself through the struggle for no gain.

Ubuntu + flavors, debian testing, or fedora.
>>
>>57927207
Also, I'm afraid that option isn't a thing. East Coast United States right here. That's a long swim and the idea of crossing several mountains is not that appealing.
>>
>>57927207
>>57927025
Back to your subreddit
>>
>>57927074
>>57927052
It sounds like hard work being a linux sys admin. damn.
>>
>>57927219
So the camera thing would be the only remaining proof physically possible.
>>57927224
I believe a subreddit would still be located on the site reddit. I haven't been to reddit therefore I haven't been to a subreddit.
>>
>>57927237
Of course a redditard would deny being in reddit.
>>
>>57926993
Can apparmor sandbox my browser?
>>
>>57927237
If I do this, is your reply going to be "THERE WAS A SINGLE FRAME THAT LOOKS AJAR, YOU'VE EDITED THIS"

Shit, gonna make me live stream this.I really don't want to fucking do this. I've just started feeling comfortable with the linux install on my laptop.
>>
>>57927247
Firejail can.
>>
>>57927252
You will get doxxed by this loser
>>
>>57927229
In a way it's easier since all you do is automate a pile of abstractions, and they expect you to be fluent in Go, Python and usually C if you're also an SRE making kernel mods (doesn't often happen anymore though).

CoreOS is a big one right now, it uses Gentoo's package manager (and not Exherbo's for some stupid reason) and it essentially automatically deploys containers for you to script. NixOS is another big one, functional linux where all updates are seamless and can be easily rolled back if there's a problem.

"sysadmin" = reliability and uptime, since junky apps like AirBnB or Uber can't afford downtime. It does get nightmarish quickly though, one reason why Netflix rolls with FreeBSD instead mainly because of ZFS so they can do effortless snapshots and back up everything.

btw Netflix pays like $400k/year for FreeBSD SREs, they're probably the highest paying company out there next to finance or gambling
>>
What distro for beginners has the possibility to scale the elements in 1% steps?

I have a Latitude E7470 with a fullhd screen and found through usage that scaling the UI elements to non-standard 130% gives me the best viewing experience.

I don't like Ubuntu's Unity too much but if it's the only or the best option I guess I'll live with it.

I'll be grateful for any and all recommendations.
>>
>>57927252
>falling for the schizo meme
>>
>>57927266
The Apple MacBook Pro with Retina Display doesn't have this problem.
>>
>>57927266
You can change any distro's DE (desktop enviro).

Mate is probably what you want, though Wayland + Gnome3 will also give you fullhd screen. Fedora 25 has wayland by default now.
>>
>>57927244
Why would I do something like that if I value honesty and logical consistency? I have tested myself at random multiple times and I don't have any signs of being a redditor.
>>57927252
I can't be bothered connecting to a live stream if you host it on your personal site since you could see my IP.

I don't think it will be possible to edit it without it looking obvious since you won't have a lot of time to edit everything together. I'm not a video expert so I wouldn't really now.
>>
File: screenFetch-2016-12-10_02-24-28.png (225KB, 1366x768px) Image search: [Google]
screenFetch-2016-12-10_02-24-28.png
225KB, 1366x768px
>>57927252
I really don't want to nuke this damn thing. Pic related. I'm not smurt enough to know how to back things up other than copy and pasting files to an external drive.

>>57927260
You think?

>>57927267
Why do you call him that? He seems a bit crazy, but hardly a schizo
>>
>>57927274
...are you considered that you're checking reddit in your sleep or something? Also I don't have a personal site. I'd have to use twitch or hitbox or something.
>>
>>57927274
A redditor denying being a redditor is logical.
>>
>>57927284
*concerned, not considered.

>>57927290
...so would someone who isn't a redditor. The same way both a murderer and an innocent man would both say they're not murderers unless proven otherwise. (And sometimes, even then.)
>>
>>57927296
Only a redditor would be so obsessed with reddit.
>>
>>57927247
Indeed use Firejail or Mbox
https://news.ycombinator.com/item?id=8187534
https://pdos.csail.mit.edu/archive/mbox/

If you use Chromium (which by default has a sandbox) you still want to contain it because a billion things can jump their sandbox, esp any kind of NDK browser addon of which there are many.
>>
>>57927275
Why do I seem a bit crazy in your opinion?
I haven't done anything for you to think so.
>>57927284
No, I don't have a history of sleepwalking so it isn't likely. Even if that were true, it still doesn't show up on the test so I would assume it's like a multiple personality or something, aka it's not even me doing it since my conscious self isn't affected by it.
>>57927290
Saying you aren't a redditor if you are one is logically inconsistent.
>>57927313
I'm obsessed with foreigners destroying this place. Reddit just happens to be their primary source.
>>
>>57927325
So basically you're admitting that you're a redditor then.
>>
File: 1468232362624.jpg (2MB, 2272x1704px) Image search: [Google]
1468232362624.jpg
2MB, 2272x1704px
>As of 2006, approximately two percent of the Linux kernel was written by Torvalds himself.[28] Because thousands have contributed to the Linux kernel, this percentage is one of the largest contributions to it. However, he stated in 2012 that his own personal contribution is now mostly merging code written by others, with little programming.[41] Torvalds retains the highest authority to decide which new code is incorporated into the standard Linux kernel.[42]
>>
>>57927313
By the same logic, would people from /pol/ be leftists because they're so obsessed with SJWs?

>>57927325
I mean, it can be logical given the environment you want. A redditor who fears being treated poorly for being 'outed' as one would logically deny being such.

>>57927335
Huh. I actually sort of forgot what thread we were in.
>>
>>57927335
Torvalds basically just handles emails all day like most senior developers/managers. The higher up you go in the programming food chain, the less actual programming you do.
>>
>>57927339
Why do you keep dodging to being caught as a redditor?
>>
>>57927346
...I've not been? Unless you're the guy telling me I'm a redditor because he has an system apparently. Hell, actually, nevermind, because both of us have been caught for nothing and I've already said there is literally no way to prove that.
>>
File: 1481354003828.jpg (112KB, 1024x683px) Image search: [Google]
1481354003828.jpg
112KB, 1024x683px
>>57925119
How are upgrades handeled in modern Linux? Back in early Ubuntu you had to clean install all the time because things would break. I'm looking at downloading Fedora 24 and upgrading it continiously. Is this even possible?

Pic related is me
>>
>>57927362
Fuck off reddit.
>>
>>57927362
I would imagine it works fine. Even Windows handles it sort of okay depending on your license. I know that when I reboot VMs, switching them from 1 core to 4, low ram to a lot, etc, there's no issue.
>>
>>57927339
People from /pol would be leftists by any sane logic since they support socialism. That's besides the point though, his argument is still invalid.

>I mean, it can be logical given the environment you want. A redditor who fears being treated poorly for being 'outed' as one would logically deny being such.
It won't be since logical consistency is a thing I value and I'm not an unconscious redditor since I don't test positive.
>>57927346
How exactly did you catch me? What's your algorithm?
>>57927351
Depends on what you think of as proof. I could provide both a rationally deduced piece of evidence or an empirical one. The chance of it being true is about 98-99%
>>
File: 1481355125923.jpg (61KB, 211x669px) Image search: [Google]
1481355125923.jpg
61KB, 211x669px
>>57927335
>fglt user irl
>>
>>57927323
I. Use Web (webkit based)
>>
>>57927384
Only an obvious redditor would not know it. Back to your subreddit.
>>
>>57927269
Stop being a faggy retard.

>>57927271
Thanks for the suggestion, mate. I'll give Mate a try. Never used Fedora but why not, maybe I'll like it.
>>
>>57927384
Look man, I really don't know what to say at this point anymore. If you've got a system, you've just triggered a false positive. Without going to reddit and analyzing posts to their boards you won't be able to detect with any real accuracy who is and isn't from reddit.
>>
>tfw you find out the gentoo developer is a google chrome user, running windows
https://usesthis.com/interviews/daniel.robbins/

Where is your god now?
>>
ITT:
>rms never installed gnu
>linus never wrote linux
>gentoo made by windows user
>>
>>57927418
I mean, I use Windows and Linux. For those whose God is Stallman that might be a horrible thing to find out, but last I checked the real god Torvalds isn't some open source crusader but a pragmatist who just wanted comments on his code.
>>
>>57927418
like most adults he uses windows at the workplace, for buisness and other mature endeavours. Linux is merely a childish indulgence, hence "funtoo'.
>>
>>57927399
But I haven't been to reddit.
Which mean I can't possibly go "back" to it.
>>57927407
I have analyzed the data from immigrants who come here. All the samples are from the most obvious redditor imaginable.
I don't want to pollute my programs with actual things from reddit since it means I would have to write something that pulls data from there, which means I have to actually access the site.
If you are willing to help me out and lose your "virginity" in the process I'm all ears.
That is if you were joking. I don't think it's a false positive though
>>
>>57927444
Why do you keep denying being a redditor? Fuck off.
>>
>>57927418
No-one, I don't elevate people to the status of godhood like you fags seem to do with RMS.
>>
>>57927454
Because I'm not one. Would you like some kind of physical proof of that? We can meet in the previously stated geographical area.
>>
File: 1465943229100.jpg (52KB, 850x400px) Image search: [Google]
1465943229100.jpg
52KB, 850x400px
>>57927418
>>
>>57927463
I don't want reddit stink nearby. Fuck off.
>>
>>57927469
Where have you proven this to be true?
I want to hear your reasoning behind this.
>>
>>57927444
At some point, you have to first confirm for a fact that someone is from reddit. The most efficient way to do that would be to find a tripfag who is known to frequent reddit, and then use that.

Anyone who isn't using a trip can't be confirmed for more than a single post in which they either admit to using reddit or something reddit-related is visible in a screenshot of their desktop. Even using that method, you would not have a large enough of a sample size to determine how people from reddit talk.

Also, someone who is a known tripfag would also likely on 4chan enough to have its culture as well-- aspects of both cultures mixed. The only way to isolate what is and isn't reddit and what is 4chan would be to isolate a 4chan user who would ALSO have to be a tripfag, and even then there would be no way to prove he wasn't a redditor without the magic system that you've yet to invent because you CAN'T.

>>57927463
As you would say to me if I had said something similar, there's no way to prove that you're not from reddit just from meeting in person.

>>57927469
If he's from reddit, then he's got a massive self-hating complex which I doubt.
>>
>>57927466
>worshipping linus
kys
>>
>>57927476
I want to see the reasoning why you're not from reddit, which you obviously are.
>>
Fuck y'all and this reddit nonsense.
This is a friendly reminder that Python is not a programming language.
>>
>>57927486
not him but,
What do you even mean "from reddit?"
Do you want a proof of residency? An electric bill addressed to a reddit page with his name on it?
>>
>>57927478
The thing is, that's exactly what I did since I needed a 100% pozzed test subject. Then I repeated multiple times for different "people"

Even a trip isn't a 100% guarantee though, multiple people could be using it with different levels of exposure to reddit. That's why my accuracy is about 98-99% and not 99.9999%

I don't need a system with the accuracy above, 98% if fine by me. Even if it killed the person upon detection I would still be fine with the error margin. To me the result here outweighs the "negative" effect, which would be about as morally wrong as killing an animal.

>As you would say to me if I had said something similar, there's no way to prove that you're not from reddit just from meeting in person.
There is a way to prove that you are though.
>If he's from reddit, then he's got a massive self-hating complex which I doubt.
Literally never been there and I'm scared of that being even a slight possibility so I check myself constantly.

>>57927486
There is no way of proving that. You need to prove I'm from reddit first.
>>57927496
Yes. What this guy is saying seems to be correct. Python is indeed not that.
>>
>>57927485
yeah, worshiping a fat autistic freetard like your god is the better option
>>
>>57927519
You need to disprove your blatant redditry in the first place.
>>
>>57927519
List the tripfags now. If you have a system then there names along with tripcodes wouldn't be hard to produce within two minutes. List the entire sample set, don't just say The Falcon and Jordan or some shit.
>>
>>57927536
There is no possible logical way of disproving a negative. Please take this reddit logic back to your subreddit.
>>57927538
Maybe I should post my algorithms as well?
Sounds like a good idea. Why not share this with all state military departments? Seems like a really good idea to let your enemy know every single thing about your intel gathering procedures.
>>
>>57927553
You've failed the test. I didn't ask for algorithms. I asked for trip fags names and codes, which are public record. You have nothing.
>>
File: jew_hue_hue.jpg (10KB, 480x360px) Image search: [Google]
jew_hue_hue.jpg
10KB, 480x360px
>>57927519
holy shit so it is you!
You're the loser that trolls these threads at every hour of the day! I've recognized your schizo-ass non-argument style on at least 3 seperate occasions.
I just wanna say that this is the funniest shit I've seen on this imageboard, my man. Keep making this site a shitty place for the rest of us, it genuinely brings a smile to my face.
Keep doing you, you glorious faggot.
>>
>>57927553
Why do you keep denying being a redditor?
>>
>>57927564
All tripfag names are public record, but my algorithm's trifags aren't public record.
>>57927565
I don't believe I'm the same person you're talking about since I don't visit this thread every single day even and I think I have presented enough arguments here so using non-argument here seems kind of inappropriate to say the least.
>>57927566
Because I am clearly not one.
>>
>>57927594
You've no argument showing you're not a redditor.
>>
>>57927565
So not only is he an obvious redditor, he's also a paid Microsoft shill sent to distract this thread. That's fucked up.
>>
File: 1481221209587.png (13KB, 657x527px) Image search: [Google]
1481221209587.png
13KB, 657x527px
>use KDE
>miss GNOME
>switch to GNOME
>miss i3
>switch to i3
>miss KDE
>etc

Am I the only one who is perpetually switching between DE sessions?
>>
>>57927600
I can't have evidence that is impossible to produce.
What you are asking is logically impossible, you cannot prove a negative.
I'm not a redditor though.
>>57927602
I don't use Microsoft systems
>>
>>57927418
>For coding, I use Python

>coding
>python
>>
>>57927620
No, I don't have shit taste so I would never ever switch to GNOME3
>>
>>57927629
Basically you keep denying that you're both a redditor and a paid shill.
>>
>>57927642
>redditor
you need to go back
>>
(1/2)

>>57927594
Alright friend, I'm tired and going to bed. I'm not going to do the video because I imagine that when I wake up tomorrow this thread will be archived, and at that point there really is no way for me to prove that I'm not "from reddit". I've got several different messages for you before calling it quits, each based on a different possible assumption about you. Here they go:

1. If you're a non-redditor, are being completely serious when you say you've got an algorithm, and really hate the idea of redditors being here this much:

I am not from reddit. You need to work on the system because you've triggered a false positive and I'm sure I'm not the first. But also, perhaps more importantly, you need to get some sort of help friend. I really mean that. If this is so important to you that you've spent your time trying to hunt down for redditors on 4chan because you're afraid of your favorite image board's culture being changed somehow, then that's a real psychological problem. It's not healthy, and you need to get something more meaningful in your life then here.

2. If you're a non-redditor, do not have an algorithm, but really do hate redditors that much

See the above. The only difference is instead of talking about the system, I say that you're not nearly as good at telling if someone is a redditor based on how they write on the fly as you think.

3. If you're a non-redditor, do not have an algorithm, and do not really hate redditors

Well holy shit, this has been one long and actually pretty fun troll.

4. You're a redditor

See the above, the only difference would be that would absolutely explain how you would even properly go about telling if someone is from reddit or not.
>>
>>57927637
HTML is coding too.
Coding is just a part of programming. So when you write something in C for example you are coding too.

Programming implies the act of coding.
Coding on its own implies you are working with something that isn't a programming language. Which would certainly be true for someone coding in Python as Python isn't a programming language.
>>
File: file.png (3KB, 242x97px) Image search: [Google]
file.png
3KB, 242x97px
>>57927418
What if I didn't want to search MacBook Pro?
>>
File: 1479922021760.jpg (62KB, 500x500px) Image search: [Google]
1479922021760.jpg
62KB, 500x500px
>>57927594 >>57927629
There it is again!
Last time I witnessed your sperg-out session, I stuck around reading this merry-go-round circular logic trolling for like 3 hours.
That dedication to the art of trolling is fucking M A R V E L O U S
To think that somebody would devote this much time and energy into dismantling a 4chan thread
>EVERY
>SINGLE
>DAY
I'm not a psychologist so I can't officially diagnose this, but I've got a sneaking suspicion that this is a rare sighting of actual
>W E A P O N S
>G R A D E
>A U T I S M
>>
>>57927649
(1/2)

----

If I had to guess, I'm saying it's number two. But I hope it's 3 or 4. Because if you're being serious buddy then that really is concerning, and no amount of horrible shit that people say on this site or rude accusations made by people who prefer different DEs than me would change that I don't want anyone to suffer when possible. Goodnight anon.

P.S.

What order what you rank DEs? I'll go ahead with mine.

Gnome3 > MATE > Unity > LXDE > KDE > XFCE (Nothing personal against XFCE, I just prefer LXDE)

(Also, i3 is weird and openbox by itself is fine but feels so lacking)
>>
>>57927651

(1/2)

>Python isn't a programming language.
what is it then? apples?
>>
>>57927638
You shouldn't voice an opinion on things that you have little to no experience with. I'd bet that you haven't even used GNOME for even a whole fucking day. Too bad you can't wrap your head around using multiple workspaces and the GNOME way.
>>
>>57927662
Scripting language
>>
File: Screenshot_2016-12-10_02-22-45.png (57KB, 821x387px) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_2016-12-10_02-22-45.png
57KB, 821x387px
>>57927671
>>
>>57927675
delete this
>>
>>57927620
I deleted my DE.

I now roll a headless RHEL server and just run it all from emacs in the terminal. Could not be happier. I have a massive monitor too, 4K enabled and everything, don't even use the graphics beyond 216 colors.

I chose RHEL since they essentially own KVM now in terms of development and wanted latest releases, plus they do LTS for 10 years. I run emacs as a daemon, load up tmux with 4 screens, and connect in and out of emacs as a client to develop software. When I'm finished I shitpost here by just curl sucking in threads and parsing them automagically in emacs. I even now fetchmail my email and use Gnus and even Rmail sometimes to read it offline like Stallman and realized how awesome it was to do this in emacs, esp when on a mailing list with 300+ emails per day and you need to find specific shit or track conversations over weeks.

Do not miss X whatsoever. My X is now outside, whenever I get bored of my terminal I just shut it down and go out. Before I wouldn't do that, I'd get distracted by buying into the attention economy and selling myself to all the distractions.

I even stopped reading pdfs, instead pirating them and running pdftotext and loading them up in emacs or making info files out of them as I read through it. The only issue was research papers on Arxiv or SciHub which required X, so I got a T-60 laptop, loaded up Parabola Linux on it and use that to read pdfs while programming on my regular screen. To get music I wrote a script that daily yanks music off bandcamp according to genre tags and pipes the college radio playlists into emacs. Then I just jack it straight into mp3 and listen in the terminal.

My productivity exploded and now I get why greybeards do this shit. it's both to prevent a technology addiction and get work done in the most efficient way possible.
>>
File: 1468494726991.png (56KB, 786x590px) Image search: [Google]
1468494726991.png
56KB, 786x590px
hey /g/, haven't tried linux in a while, did torvalds already fix the filepicker so thumbnail preview works? last time I checked it didn't work, but that's a feature I really need
>>
>>57927675
Python is an interpreted language idiot.
>>
>>57927688
I advise you to stick to OS X for the most streamlined hentai workflow
>>
>>57927649
>friend
t-thanks...

Yes, you are correct about you not being able to provide proof after a certain number of time.

1:
I seriously doubt that, I've had a lot of false positives, that is true. But I actually see when it is a false positive. I have elaborate "filters" which handle this.
Are you claiming you didn't visit the website reddit.com even once in your lifetime? Just clicking on a link means you could've looked at a post which changed your brain forever.

It isn't a psychological problem, I am just very dedicated to exterminating the problem...

2:

Well, my system is pretty good so that just doesn't apply here. I wouldn't be so confident in it if that weren't the case.

3:

>do not really hate redditors

I would not be human at that point. Just kill me or utilize a nuclear weapon or any other WMD on my country if this ever happens and you somehow know about it.

4:

See the above. You don't have to actually get infected yourself to research a disease. You just need live test subjects which carry it.

----- Next part of your post.

I'm sorry, but it is number 1.
I don't want rational people to suffer if possible as well, I just don't think a few less animals would be a problem whatsoever.

i3 about the same as KDE > MATE > XFCE > LXDE > SHIT > GNOME3 > SHITE > UNITY

Goodnight too.

>>57927664
You shouldn't voice your opinion if you are retarded.
>>
>>57927688
Torvalds only has control over Linux (the system kernel), the Desktop is usually managed by DEs. Just use the KDE, which has the feature you want.
>>
>>57927662
A scripting language. There's nothing wrong with the concept itself obviously. You just shouldn't call it a programming language when it isn't one.
>>
>>57927726
No one likes a pedant, anon.
>>
File: 1450033528173.jpg (82KB, 250x250px) Image search: [Google]
1450033528173.jpg
82KB, 250x250px
>>57927688
>>
>>57927736
I like myself so you're obviously wrong.
My two friends like me too so that's another thing you got wrong.
>>
File: screengrab130.png (254KB, 1366x768px) Image search: [Google]
screengrab130.png
254KB, 1366x768px
>>57927688
>>
>>57927737
Why did you feel the need to post this fat fuck?
I wonder what goes on in the mind of the insane....
>>
>>57927746
what the name of that new retard pepe?
>>
>>57927753
you decide
>>
>>57927746
>every single pepe filename is new as fuck
Oh boy, I wonder what's the main website of this poster.
Delete your account.
>>
>>57927746
>chrome
>>
File: kys.jpg (18KB, 640x640px) Image search: [Google]
kys.jpg
18KB, 640x640px
>>57927762
>sort by date
>descending

Dumbass
>>
>>57927776
Yeah, sure.
Please do not use this website if you still use your old one.
Pick one or leave.
>>57927776
How did you determine this? Aren't chromium and chrome indistinguishable if you only have what's on that screenshot?
>>
>>57927776
You can't escape the botnet now, son.
>>
File: 1459100700720.jpg (111KB, 735x1072px) Image search: [Google]
1459100700720.jpg
111KB, 735x1072px
hey /g/, I just installed Arch Linux for the first time, how is the program called that shows the Arch logo?
>>
>>57927811
Make your own """""""""""""program""""""""""""" in Python since you are a hacker.
>>
>>57927811
Screenfetch

Upvotead :^)
>>
>>57927837
>screenfetch
noob
>>57927811
neofetch is where it's at
>>
>>57927685
How does fetchmail plus emacs help you read mailing list?
>>
is fedora 25 with kde good? I like the KDE gui
>>
>>57927692
English is an interpreted language.

Python is an inerpreted programming language
>>
Can somebody recommend a good GUI based IRC client similar to hexchat?
This piece of shit doesn't let me copy texts and doesn't have a per-channel based desktop notification setting. These issues have all been reported already, but the threads have gone stale
>>
Why does portage have to download every fucking src for every known package everytime I update
>>
>>57927901
Polari is very good IDK if it has per-channel notifications though
>>
>>57927692

Topics to research so you don't embarrass yourself in the future:

>definition of interpreted in the general language sense
>definition of interpreted in the programming sense
>what machine code is
>what compiling is
>get familiar with common sense and figure out what subsets are

There's probably even more, but once you do that, you might figure out why you're incredibly retarded. I don't remember the last time I saw someone that retarded and proud of being retarded. Well, the last time was when you made the same claim a few days ago. Your retardation has grown though.
>>
>>57927918
Are there even config options other than keyboard shortcuts?
>>
>>57927924
When have you seen an implementation on python that included a compiler?
>>
File: image.jpg (726KB, 2981x2356px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
726KB, 2981x2356px
Preparing laptop for Ubuntu
>>
>>57928010
WTF man.. clean your shit.
>>
File: error message.png (11KB, 72x40px) Image search: [Google]
error message.png
11KB, 72x40px
I just started using Ubuntu 16.10 a few days ago, and everything has been working great, but I have had this icon in my tray for a little while now which I assume is an error message. Problem is, when I click it pic related is all that happens.

I ran
dpkg --get-selections > ~Desktop/packages
which came up with a few packages with a deinstall message, most likely due to my mistake of running remove rather than purge, but the error icon is still there with no message.

Anyone know how I would be able to find out what is causing that error without installing arch of gentoo?
>>
File: 1481202723179.png (93KB, 630x630px) Image search: [Google]
1481202723179.png
93KB, 630x630px
>>57928010
kill yourself immediately
>>
>>57928044
And to add I already removed those packages using
sudo dpkg --purge `dpkg --get-selections | grep deinstall | cut -f1`
>>
I have tried Linux on a pen drive but it's kinda slow. I have heard that installing it along side with windows messes up the windows installation because of the bootloader.
Now I have a different phisical drive inside my PC so if I install it on there, will the windows installation on the other drive be affected in any way?

This second drive is also 3T and it seems kind of a waste, so is it OK if I partition it and I install Linux on the 1T partition and keep the 2T for backups?
>>
File: image.jpg (1MB, 2327x2448px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
1MB, 2327x2448px
>>57928057

Sorry
>>
>>57927996
You can probably change when you get a desktop notification
>>
>>57928044
Try apt autoremove

>>57928087
No it wont but you may disconnect the windows Hard drive for peace of mind anyway.
>>
>>57928128
Ran it, it found 1 package, libkaccounts1, and I removed it, but the error message is still there.
>>
File: 1464436261861.jpg (27KB, 414x508px) Image search: [Google]
1464436261861.jpg
27KB, 414x508px
Hey /g/, what's the best lightweight and user-friendly distro for daily use?
>>
>>57928311
linux mint
>>
File: mint facts.png (38KB, 660x734px) Image search: [Google]
mint facts.png
38KB, 660x734px
>>57928338
>>
>>57928311
Lubuntu
>>
File: 1479204203239.jpg (293KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
1479204203239.jpg
293KB, 1920x1080px
>>57928338
>>57928348 (you)

Hehh....
>>
File: obligatory.png (91KB, 627x722px) Image search: [Google]
obligatory.png
91KB, 627x722px
>>57928348
delete this
>>
File: 1480269636894.jpg (36KB, 1366x768px) Image search: [Google]
1480269636894.jpg
36KB, 1366x768px
>>57928338
>>57928348 (you)
>>57928382 (you)

Hahaha, it's getting better and better!
Well done!
>>
>>57928359
wtf that's not me
>>
>>57928338
>mint
>lightweight
>>
friendly solus thread
>>
>>57928397
>very low quality jpeg related
>>
File: gsrt34.gif (989KB, 500x214px) Image search: [Google]
gsrt34.gif
989KB, 500x214px
>>57928421
>solus

HEY KEEEEVIN!
>>
>>57928421
solus sound like a mixture of solo and anus
>>
>>57928443
"go fuck yourself" as they say
>>
>>57928421
is solus any good or just some /g/ meme
>>57928442
is kevin the solus developer?
>>
>>57928462
>is kevin the solus developer?

He's literally the son of the devil.
Also a dedicated Solusposter.
>>
>>57927856
Gnus you can directly read from gmane, unless it's not on there then you can just set up a remote throwaway email and pull in the 300+ emails you get per day on the list (like the Kernel.org mailling lists) and edit it all in emacs after fetchmail grabs it.

Because of my job I'm on 8 mailing lists that all get over 300 msgs per day. That's 2400 messages I have to organize into categories, determine if they are important for me to read by escalating them to my attention, automatically extract patches based on a ruleset I made, prune the one's I don't want, and keep conversations in context as often I will be replying and talking to up to 80+ people at one time.

This is all accomplished with Gnus/Org-Mode/Hi-Lock to make certain keywords easier to glance at while auditing patches (highlighting handlers to manually inspect before applying) and mainly happens automatically. It would be a nightmare without those two programs.
>>
thoughts on void?
>>
>>57928503
Void linux is a rolling release, has binary packages, uses a very good package manager (even better than pacman) and the community is small but very friendly. It's like Arch but without systemd by default.
>>
File: 1478101889533.png (279KB, 653x496px) Image search: [Google]
1478101889533.png
279KB, 653x496px
Opinions on Wayland? What advantages does it have over X11?
>>
>>57928503
Less packages than BSD
>>
>>57928503
Let go of your earthly tether,
Enter the void,
Empty and become wind.
>>
>>57928515
Said to have little or no screen flickering/tearing
>>
File: rrd46.jpg (51KB, 463x188px) Image search: [Google]
rrd46.jpg
51KB, 463x188px
>>57928515
>Opinions on Wayland?

The Wayland Corporation, often shortened to Wayland Corp and sometimes referred as simply "The Company", was a British multinational corporation with a stock worth of $218 trillion in 2093, specializing in and developing major advancements in technology such as holographics, off-world colonization, FTL travel, and others which are consolidated into seven verticals: health, transportation, energy, electronics, terraforming, security, and cybernetics, headquartered in San Francisco, California, Wayland Corp eventually acquired the Yutani Corporation and formed the Wayland-Yutani Corporation.
>>
>>57928515
security mainly, plus the fact that X is ancient
https://news.ycombinator.com/item?id=12529916
>>
>>57928503
>>57928515
it's a meme you dip
>>
>>57928515
Meme tier in it's current state, gon b gud if more distros adopt it as their default that works OOB.
>>
>>57928525
nice meme
>>
>>57928421
I've read that solus is backdoored with "kevinnet". No idea if true.
>>
>>57928462
>is solus any good or just some /g/ meme
It's not bad at all, but it's not ready for widespread use yet. Not enough packages, not enough customization. Once those problems get fixed, it could rival Ubuntu in terms of ease of use.
>>
>>57928573
In my experience Wayland never gave me any screen flickering unlike that piece of shit X
>>
>>57928581
>it could rival Ubuntu
lel
>>
>>57928580
lolwut
>>
>>57928582
X is pure shit, and it's maintainers have already said it's depreciated they have stopped giving a fuck and are telling people to go with Wayland.

It runs in root, so any keylogger or tiny exploit will zerg your whole system and there's now ay around this unless you use OpenBSD's version of X11 which under AMD/Intel cards can run it with no root privs.
>>
>>57928580
>believing /g/
>>
>>57928596
>it's
>>
>>57928580
does this mean that kevin is a bot?
>>
new thread: >>57928587
>>
Alright, so I installed ubuntu on virtualbox.
What now? I mainly wanted to try it, and it looks comfy so far, I wanna fuck around with the terminal, but don't know what to do, are there some assignments I could do?
>>
For French /g/entoomen, Stillman is giving a conference in Rennes in February if you want to see him.
Thread posts: 310
Thread images: 43

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.