[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Linux on Chromebooks

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 2

File: CB5-311_touch_gallery_02.png (151KB, 420x380px) Image search: [Google]
CB5-311_touch_gallery_02.png
151KB, 420x380px
Is it possible/worth it? I'm a cheapfag who plans to buy a chromebook and convert it to a linux laptop, but with all the drivers working.

Has anyone tried this? How do they actually work as daily drivers?
>>
>How do they actually work as daily drivers?
>Daily drivers
>Therefore wants to be productive
>Install fucking linux

Just stick with chromeos faggot
>>
Pick one:
https://github.com/dnschneid/crouton
(Linux running inside ChromeOS)
https://github.com/reynhout/chrx
(Linux replacing ChromeOS)

Just run the script on any supported model and you're fine.
>>
>>57927258
>implying you can't be productive with Linux
I get paid and do all my work on Linux
>>
>>57927250
Wait for Pine64 laptop thing I guess . supposed to be like laptop for $90 that runs with pine64 (raspberry pi like think) inside that will run linux (like pine64 pretty much)
>>
Chromebooks are already Linux, retard.
>>
>>57928939
>literally eepc-type trash with same fucking specs for100 bukkits in 2017
I thought electronics should advance and moore's law and shiiiet
>>
>>57927300
>has to provide his own tools for work
Then ask your employer for an ultrabook loaded with whatever enterprise linux flavor your company uses. Why would you even consider buying a computer on your own if it wasn't for shitposting on /g/ and watching anime in public on your way to "work"?
>>
>>57929259
maybe he's a freelancer?
>>
>>57929588
Now that's some hilarious shit. Business is so shit he has to use a chromebook.
>>
So can you install it on the damn thing properly or are you stuck running it inside botnet chrome os?
>>
>>57929649
why? if he needs it for (remote) terminal work a lightweight chromebook would be just fine.
>>
>>57929785
If all he does is remote work he don't need a portable computer. I can't see this as anything other but a public masturbation device.
>>
File: IMG_1416.jpg (1MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1416.jpg
1MB, 3264x2448px
ChromeOS on its own is fine for shitposting and such. You can put it in dev mode and use a regular linux shell, root acess and all that. Only issue is that chromeOS doesnt have a package manager, so i hope you like doing shit the hard way
There is a substitute called Chromebrew which has alot of stuff, vim being the only important one for /g/

You can use Chrx to install a diffferent operating system and remove chromeos, but this only works on some specific hardware.
Or you can use crouton to set up a debian based distro in a vm.
You get most versions of debian, ubuntu, kali and a few others to choose from

But unless you need something that is say, ubuntu only, chromeos can do it fine.
Caret is a great text editor, has lots of options for different programming languages. Google docs is honestly plenty for document editing and probably better han traditional programs due to the seamless cloud integration.

The only issue i ever had with my CR-48 is that it only has 16gb of onboard storage, and i cant justify 100$ on an ssd for a free laptop
>>
>>57929913

>Using THE botnet.

Enjoy.
>>
>>57929928
The botnet is pretty great desu
Thread posts: 16
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.