[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

At what age did you grow out of Linux?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 29
Thread images: 7

File: 62337296_41e681158a.jpg (100KB, 500x281px) Image search: [Google]
62337296_41e681158a.jpg
100KB, 500x281px
At what age did you grow out of Linux?
>>
I was never mentally retarded enough to use it in the first place.
>>
I stopped posting in desktop threads around 2015.

Linux looks pretty cool when you rice the shit out of it but in the end no matter how much you rice it, it's still an unusable piece of shit that requires jumping through numerous hoops do the simplest of tasks you can do in windows 7 with just a few clicks.
>>
As a youth I obviously experimented, at least until one day when my dad came home early and found me installing a copy of Xubuntu, he beat me relentlessly until I finally said what he wanted to hear: that Linux is just a gateway OS and the true red pill is realizing your operating system isn't near as important as what you do with it. That experience changed my life.
>>
File: freebsd.jpg (21KB, 500x336px) Image search: [Google]
freebsd.jpg
21KB, 500x336px
>>57926252
When I switched to a superior capitalist friendly OS
>>
Linux routers suck
>>
Pretty soon after I started using it

Even using Mint was a hassle as not everything worked on a fresh install. I like the idea of it and plan to give it another shot, but my first few experiences weren't very impressive
>>
Never used it as a daily driver, probably never will.
I'm interested in FreeBSD though.
>>
The first day I transcended my NEEThood.
>>
I'm too smart to leave Linux.
>>
>>57926234
>>57926277
>>57926252
>>57926300
>>57926317
>>57926338
>>57926847
>>57927890
"Thank you dear Pajeet, Rajat and streetpoo, 2 Rupees will be deposited in your bank account - Microsoft"
>>
>>57926234
I use Linux but I cherish freebsd.
>>
>>57927957
Im suprised it took so long, or did this spazz use as much self restraint before he spat all over the screen and replied with this pile of piss.
>>
Never. I now use it professionally.
>>
File: winbabbies.jpg (2MB, 2000x1200px) Image search: [Google]
winbabbies.jpg
2MB, 2000x1200px
>>57926234
at 12
>>
itt people who can't play games or use Office

linux is better than Windows at certain things. These things are things that 99 percent of people on /g/ don't do
>>
>>57928684
you misspelt /v/
>>
File: stallman_oppa.jpg (69KB, 600x804px) Image search: [Google]
stallman_oppa.jpg
69KB, 600x804px
I don't really get why people continue to make threads like this one here. The following may be geared towards someone looking for Linux-specific advice, but still, to quote a wiser man than me:
"Do not worry about the distribution. Use whatever makes your life easier, because the real learning comes from actually using the system, reading the man pages, writing scripts and what not. If you want to truly understand the Unix operating system then it helps to have some system agnostic knowledge, such as how booting works, what the different runtime modes do, what filesystems actually are and how they work (this is ESPECIALLY important because EVEYRTHING IN UNIX IS A FILE), how unix manages memory etc.
Do not be fooled into thinking that one distribution is "geared" more toward "experts". It's a bunch of hogwash.
How well you learn the operating system really depends on how deep you want to dive into it.
Want to understand maintenance of the system? Learn to use grep, sed, awk, look at monitoring utilities like top and vmstat. Understand the nitty gritty of bash, learn a few scripting languages; Perl, Python, Lua whatever. Some people say Perl is dead, but if my experience means anything, I still see a lot of it in the wild. Understand the init system (although now its being replaced on some distributions), what the heck a TTY is and how shells interact with a system. Pick a command line editor AND LEARN IT.
>>
>>57928786
(cont'd)
"Want to learn how to maintain a web server? In addition to many of the things I mentioned in the last line item, install apache or nginx. You'll probably need to look into some sort of datastore, SQL or NoSQL your pick. Learn the OSI model, look into TCP/IP, data/packet analysis
Want to learn how to make things that make other peoples' experience on Linux better? Learn a programming language, write userland programs with some APIs or toolkits, graphical or otherwise.
Want to change how the OS itself works? Make it do your bidding? Learn C, assembly, how hardware works. Write a couple of drivers. Get into a fight with Linus and create a patch for the Linux kernel.
The point I'm trying to make is that it shouldn't really matter what distribution you use. Everyone seems to forget that Linux is a KERNEL and all the package managers and user land tools is basically centered around that.
So if you want a deep learning experience, forget the idea of "advanced" Linux distributions, and instead get grounded with the basics."
>>
>>57928704
>misspelt
you misspelled "misspelled"

go ahead and hack me bro, I use Windows. So will you within 5 years... but like 90 percent of linuxfags on /g/ you dualboot or only throw Linux on some shitty 100 dollar laptop

and like 99.9 percent of /g/ you only use web browser and media players on your computer
>>
File: 1452761321209.jpg (63KB, 499x733px) Image search: [Google]
1452761321209.jpg
63KB, 499x733px
>>57928802
>using Windows
>being uneducated
Why is this not surprising?

https://www.google.com/#q=misspelt+vs+misspelled
>>
Even though it's not currently installed, I still use Linux. It's safer than any other OS.
>>
>>57928802
>you misspelled "misspelled"
amerifat education
>>
18 when i got a real job
>>
>>57926234
I grew into Linux, master baiter. :^)
>>
I started using it again today after 5 years of absence and I love it so far. Xubuntu is so comfy.
>>
File: Christiaan_Huygens-painting.jpg (53KB, 287x400px) Image search: [Google]
Christiaan_Huygens-painting.jpg
53KB, 287x400px
>>57926234
>mfw normie actors try to play "geeks" and always get it wrong
>>
File: 1474997926073_0.jpg (190KB, 640x800px) Image search: [Google]
1474997926073_0.jpg
190KB, 640x800px
>>
Linux has everything I need.
Thread posts: 29
Thread images: 7

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.