[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

LearnToCode.jpeg

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 2

File: cat-on-computer.jpg (37KB, 445x414px) Image search: [Google]
cat-on-computer.jpg
37KB, 445x414px
Hi 4chan, myself (an avid 4chan member) and a redditor teamed up to launch a Codecademy competitor called Hacksaw Academy (http://beta.hacksaw.academy/). We've been working with over 1,000 4chan community members over the past 6 months testing and we finally have something for you to devour.

Our goal is to give everyone a basic understanding of programming with interactive tutorials. To accomplish this we made the first course 100% free for everyone.

In this day and age higher education isn't always available to everyone. We've built Hacksaw to help people learn how to build useful apps, launch their own portfolios, and potentially one day get a job in the witchcraft that is known as programming.
>>
Link
>>
https://beta.hacksaw.academy
>>
the UI is little buggy in safari
>>
>>57918820
>$15 a month for courses
I'm sorry why would I use this over youtube videos (free) or something already well established and well known for being good (codecademy)
>>
>>57918820
>>
>>57919318
>well known for being good (codecademy)

codecademy is shit tho. It doesn't teach anything. You should be learning the fundementals, not be acodemonkey.
>>
>>57919649
considering I learnt from codecademy and I have a job writing code I'd disagree plus
>Our goal is to give everyone a basic understanding of programming with interactive tutorials
they don't want to teach everyone, only the people that can pay $15 a month
>>
>>57919677
oh yeah I hate this thing too. I don't like interactive "tutorials" because it attempts to solve a non problem. What's wrong with a textbook?

Making it a subscription is absolutely brain dead. There is already Udemy where you can pay £15 for all of the course. Codecademy offers the same shit but is free, as well as freecodecamp.

The only thing I like from this is that the projects are actually useful shit like an online portfolio.

But if codecademy worked for you then there's no chance this thing is gonna take off.

What would be useful for me is if you paid a subscription and professional programmers checked your code and gave you advice.
What do I know? I'm not the target audience. is the wrong place to ask.
>>
/wdg/ lists a bunch of free sites, with dozens of gigabytes of books in the gentooman library. Why would anyone pay $15?
>>
>>57918820
Imho the interface is a lot cleaner and snappier than codecademy. I like it.
If I wanted to learn web-dev and content was richer maybe I could pay for this, but is it really worth it?
As >>57919318 has pointed out, trading a little comfyness you can save 10$.
>>
>>57919649

The thing about Codecademy is it's just getting your feet wet. If you liked your 10-15 hours playing around with Python enough, you're gonna go out and learn more on your own. It's just an introduction. People are so hard on Codecademy but I think it's great, I wish it was around in 2002 when I first tried to get into coding.
>>
>>57919793
>But if codecademy worked for you then there's no chance this thing is gonna take off.
it's not just me I know hobbyists that have praised me for pointing them at codecademy
>>
>>57919868
>>57919886
Oh yeah definitely. They got us to use it in ICT in highschool for a few lessons. It got my feet wet and showed me that programming wasn't scary or complicated like it was in the movies. On second thought I'm not sure if it introduced me to program but it was definitely apart of what encouraged me to download python and make my first programs. I was too harsh but I'm learning python all over again and personally won't use codecademy.
>>
>>57919677
>claims to make money from programming
>takes issue with others wanting to make money from what they programmed

I'm sure your boss thinks you're a prick too for expecting payment, and should really work for free.
Thread posts: 15
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.