[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What went wrong?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 2

File: Transmeta-Case-Study-1.jpg (32KB, 935x589px) Image search: [Google]
Transmeta-Case-Study-1.jpg
32KB, 935x589px
They had the most efficient mobile CPU out there. Are they still around?
>>
>>57912234
No, the whole company was bought out by a US government proprietary, brought completely underground, and National Security Letters were handed all around making people promise never to speak of it again.

Prove me wrong. t. Transmeta owner.
>>
>>57912234
white CIS scum killed it
>>
>>57912234
Yes, in the form of Nvidia Denver
>>
>>57912234
>They had the most efficient mobile CPU out there.
>>
>>57913469
>and it could run any common architecture including ppc
>and if they ever had let people program the thing natively it would have been the first 128 or 256 bit architecture
now do you see why the NSA shit-canned it?
>>
>>57913495
Actchiually, emulating other processor architectures made them the least efficient mobile CPU out there.

However, both AMD and Intel have improved the concept to make the most efficient mobile CPUs.
>>
Linus left.
>>
>>57913523
>the least efficient mobile CPU out there
At the time it had excellent power efficiency, though it wasn't the fastest it was the most efficient for a time.
>>
>>57913590
>At the time it had excellent power efficiency, though it wasn't the fastest it was the most efficient for a time.
This was in the P4 time, so...
>>
>>57913740
>This was in the P4 time, so...
Really? Transmeta was competing with P4-class computers?

It beat Intel's low power chip / board sets roundly in performance and battery life. You're right though, Intel made a lot of hogs.
>>
>>57912903
Hahaha this theory is so /g/ that I wouldn't be surprised if it really happened.
>>
>>57912234
>They had the most efficient mobile CPU out there.
As long it as cooled in a freezer.

>Are they still around?
Their patents portfolio was bought and still exists.
>>
>>57913495
>including ppc
why would you have wanted to subject yourself to that braindead shit even ironically?

>it would have been the first 128 or 256 bit architecture
not really, instructions were still 32 bits long, they just grouped 2-4 of them together, and you could probably argue they weren't "natively" programmed for a reason, people were having enough difficulty getting the VLIW Itanium to not be a piece of shit and that was with the might of Intel, HP, IBM and SGI behind it
>>
>>57918543
>braindead shit
PPC is and was superior to Intel for many types of workload.

Child detected.
Thread posts: 15
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.