[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Career or something or another

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 1

File: th.jpg (8KB, 246x154px) Image search: [Google]
th.jpg
8KB, 246x154px
If you remember, I asked for advice a while ago about quitting a shit tech job.

Right now I'm at Office Depot in the tech department while I'm doing the real work studying and working on certs.

But today I got called "a genius" for showing an old man that you can use two fingers on a trackpad to scroll. He was really excited and happy that I helped him figure something out. That felt better than all the best feelings I had pulling cable through walls, telling people with Lenovo computers that we charge to take all the bloatware off of it, or explaining to people over the phone where the 'start' button is.

Did I find my place or am I a fag who isn't far enough in my career? I didn't plan on staying here, I want to get into Linux to get away from people, but it's just a real change to have people actually care about the solutions you offer.

Also Office Depot hate thread.
>>
>>57909837
How much you make?
>>
>>57909837
consider teaching.

otherwise, also consider doing lone wolf IT work. create an LLC and put up fliers in local stores or ads in local papers.

more often than not youll help people like this and they will want to give you money and praise. then they will tell their friends and family and you will get repeat business and new customers.

its easy. just be nice, prompt, humble and honest.

if all of that is too much, then just stick to being IT for a smaller outfit. big box stores, local govt/municipal stuff/schools/etc. - interacting with users and not having a lot of oversight/managerial shit/gruntwork would be what drives the decision.
>>
>>57909877
I mean like $9 something plus commission. But it's a part time job right now, I make more at my other food service job, which I don't like as much.
>>
>>57909886
That's a great idea, my first IT job was a small shop where I was pretty much responsible for everything. It was really overwhelming considering that at the time I only had an A+ and no real experience.

Thanks
>>
>>57909837
Is there a career in helping old people figure out computers? No. They will die soon and the next generation is more literate. I'm also still in school, and I have a job doing tech support for a mid size company. Sure there are the idiot users who can't figure out what they're doing, but there are also engineers and real network issues to solve. I make $18/hr and that's generous considering I had zero experience in anything network related (CS major). This isn't something you'd make a career out of, it's a stepping stone.
If you like helping old people, consider geriatric nurse or something. It might be rewarding.
Also, you don't need to wait for anything to "get into Linux", there are literally more resources than anyone can read in a lifetime on the subject and it's mostly free. If you want into Linux, you're in. Put in the work.
>>
>>57909837
Teaching is GOAT, OP. I have an incredible shitty salary, but passing on my knowledge and giving students these moments are my reason for living.
>>
>>57909973
Yeah you're right about the resources for Linux, that's what I'm currently diving into. There's a ton of stuff out there, it's great.

As for helping old people, I know it's a dying market, but I was just really surprised by the contrast of helping people with complicated issues and the complete lack of thanks I would get, against simple explanations that offered huge rewards. Probably not deserved, but it gives more to your psyche to actually be thanked for something simple than to be ignored while working hard to solve a complicated issue. It makes the job feel more like something you could enjoy rather than being some thankless cog.

I'm not staying at OD, just filling in some time in between jobs.
>>
>>57909973
this is not true.

you could teach classes at retirement homes, or do classes at night at a local community college (or wherever your town/county host adult education type things).

this still falls under teaching, but its a bit more freelance, and WAY less overhead. obviously the pay would likely be far less too.
>>
>But today I got called "a genius" for showing an old man that you can use two fingers on a trackpad to scroll. He was really excited and happy that I helped him figure something out. That felt better than all the best feelings I had

With those standards I'm pretty sure you'll be happy with how you end up.
>>
>>57910070
It's less of that I'm a functional retard and more that tech is usually one of the most thankless jobs that exist.
>>
>>57910042
I think you're going to notice that contrast anywhere you go, there are days I feel like nobody appreciates my work. Especially entry level stuff, you just have to deal with it. (Easier said than done, for sure)
>>57910055
I guess we have different ideas of what we would consider career-worthy endeavors.
>>
OD senior tech here.

TDS a shit. Have to chew them out daily for not doing their job.

Luckily I've had a break on doing that ever since that one guy wrote that one article. You know what I mean.
>>
Hey Depot Bros, post your store numbers

>>
>>57910055
Actually, after reading this again, you're retarded. None of those things can be considered a career, and as I pointed out in the first place, you have maybe 15 years until the generation that doesn't know shit about computers dies off and you're left with a fucking shitty apartment and a Kia you can't pay for because you're an idiot and spent the last 15 years teaching old people how to send email
>>
>>57910199
Op here

I'll have you know I have a Chrysler 300.

But you're probably right, which is why I'm Linuxing in the meantime and trying to get away from the end user.
>>
>>57909906
If you enjoy what you do and don't mind making less money...then you've learned a very important life lesson.

I left a career in Construction making right near 100k to do IT. Working in a data center making $16 an hour. No regrets.
>>
>>57909837
Part time OD tech here, about 10 a hour. Been doing it over a year now and it can be fun helping people out. Even more so now that were not being forced to scam people by using that support.com adware on peoples computers. Just know that OD is a dead end and keep working towards something.
>>
>>57911825
But that is your end game anon? $16/hr? There's nothing wrong with not making 100k as long as you're happy. but a $16/hr gig isn't career worthy
Thread posts: 19
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.