[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

x86 Emulator for Windows on ARM

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 38
Thread images: 3

File: small_windows_10_snapdragon_PS.jpg (32KB, 625x355px) Image search: [Google]
small_windows_10_snapdragon_PS.jpg
32KB, 625x355px
http://hothardware.com/news/windows-10-runs-on-a-snapdragon-processor-with-x86-apps-fully-functional

Microsoft releasing x86 emulator for ARM based installations.

Really doesn't mean much to me, I use Linux, and have had ARM support way longer with full application support the whole time. But, looks like microshaft might be making a good move here.

Thoughts /g/?
>>
>>57903018
x86 cucks btfo, enjoy your 1% gains per year
>>
I thought their Metro crap was gonna make apps platform independent? What happened?
>>
>x86
>>2016
>>
>>57903018
http://hackerboards.com/emulator-brings-x86-linux-apps-to-arm-devices/
Almost same
Except the W10 couldn't decrease the extreme overhead.
>>
>>57903061
This is quite true, ARM is going to start dominating Intel. Too bad ARM manufacturers are dickheads that put in more intrusive features than Intel even does. Plus arm board manufacturers typically lock the bootloader, so you can only use the pre-installed OS, which is total crap.
>>
>>57903018
> a good move
They can demand to lock a bootloader on ARM devices. So, let's see...
> Windows 10-only tablet
> x86 slow emulator
> they will encourage developers to rewrite software for UWP ARM to speed it up
> they will eventually deprecate and remove x86 emulator
> You'll have Windows-only ARM UWP software and a device.
Repeat after me:
Embrace
Extend
Extinguish
>>
>>57903018
I like how they're using pirated Photoshop
>>
>>57903163
This.
>>
>>57903088
I'm guessing you're not very old, so you haven't experienced this, but it's because older programs don't use metro and stuff.

So while new programs written in Metro would be fine, older important programs like Warcraft II: Tides of War won't work.
> YOUR SOUNDCARD WORKS PERFECTLY
>>
>>57903163
Too late. Apple/Google won.
>>
>>57903213
Nostalg
>>
>>57903163
So they're attacking Intel with this I don't get it?
>>
>>57903213
>older important programs like Warcraft II: Tides of War won't work
You can convert many older desktop applications, especially fullscreen games, into Windows Store applications quite easily.

They even showed a demo of the Witcher 3 team running their entire application through the Store converter and playing TW3 within a Store app with no performance hit.

>>57903018
I'm thinking they're going to continue the (so far, successful) Surface line with a Surface Phone, after they've gotten more name recognition with the tablet, laptop, and artsy thing.
>>
>>57903452
They want to kill 'legacy' software and force UWP (=Windows Store locked software) adoption.
>>
>>57903452
Intel can't compete with $8 Snapdragon 820s. Intel has good desktop performance. Their mobile performance sucks massive cock though, Atom is a shit line, and the m3m5m7 shite series performs far worse than even Apple's A9x+M9.

They could solidify themselves in a desktop niche, but it looks like that community hates them for going towards the same features ARM baked in day 1.
>>
>>57903554

Except legacy software is the only reason anyone uses that garbage. If I can't run a 10 year old video game on Windows with perfect performance, I might as well just use Linux and see what I can run in Wine/PlayOnLinux
>>
>>57903644
Ayy the backward compatibility. They just testing something useless and MS is getting more and more irrelevant.
>>
>>57903583
Atom might be shit line, still better than Snapdragon 820
>>
>>57903644
The only reason why people still use Windows is because Adobe Products, Autodesk Products, Office Products, and DX11 gaming. Looks like DX12 is a total disaster for microshaft, considering many games get lower FPS on it.
>>
>>57903720
That's true, Bloated Studio 2015 is the only reason I'm using Windows.
>>
>>57903792
If adobe made photoshop for Linux it would be the year of the Linux Desktop.
>>
>>57903705
It's good in cars. When you want multimedia, intel is always cucked.
>>
>>57903720
>Many games get lower fps on it
Yeah, on nvidia cards because it turns out they don't support the only critical feature of dx12.
>>
>>57904426
My 1080 gets better performance on Vulkan+GNU/Linux and DX12 than a 480.
>>
>>57903018
>x86 emulator for ARM
You do realize that the only reason x86 virtualization on x86 processors is a thing is because it doesn't need to fuck with instructions right? This is going to run like shit.
>>
>>57904483
lol, no shit?
If I spent 750 dollars I'd be pretty furious if it performed worse than a 200 dollar product.
>>
>>57904483
AMDfags MAD, how can those plebes even compete
>>
>>57903583
They can, its just not profitable.

Atom is good, mX line is shit though.
>>
File: trashman2.jpg (105KB, 398x503px) Image search: [Google]
trashman2.jpg
105KB, 398x503px
>>57903018
>arm
>botnet 10
>>
>>57904487
This, ARM emulation on X86 CPUs is trash so I don't expect much performance, even more considering ARM isn't near X86 performance.
>>
>>57903018
As a GNU/Linux user this does mean a whole lot to me. It is unclear if AMD has scrapped K12 or just delayed it.

Obscure Chinese companies are currently our best hope for a motherboard with an ARM socket and ethernet and PCI-e slots and SATA and standard DDR3(!) (4 would be better...) RAM.

If Microsoft is creating an ARM alternative for x86 users by making it possible to run standard Windows programs with an emulator then that's great. Sure, GNU/Linux can run on ARM already but.. can you get anything useful to run it on?
>>
File: Screenshot_2016-10-22-08-44-00.png (92KB, 600x1024px) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_2016-10-22-08-44-00.png
92KB, 600x1024px
>>57903583
At the rate ARM is moving forward and Intel has stalled it's just a matter of time before ARM becomes just as powerful using a fraction of the power.

And I agree, Intel's mobile atom chips are a joke.
>>
>>57906265
You're a fucking retard.
>>
>Windows mobile is dead they said
>They will never recover

It looks like Microsoft will have the last laugh
>>
>>57903720

This.

I want linux at home and in my classrooms, but I'm locked into autodesk.
>>
qualcomm is about to rape intel
>>
>>57907037
u cud always buy a mac :=^)
Thread posts: 38
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.