[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Which would your rather do?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 41
Thread images: 4

File: 1818.jpg (43KB, 336x240px) Image search: [Google]
1818.jpg
43KB, 336x240px
Network admin or Programmer? I am at a dilemma here. I have been taking one semester of Programming but I don't think it's right for me. Everything is just going right over my head.

Which do you think is less stressful? Anyone worked in the field have any input on this?
>>
>>57901138
If you can't take first semester programming you sure as hell can't learn TCP/IP and all the protocols required to work as an admin.
Actual work is involved no matter what.
>>
But programming is easy, idiot.
Why else would they pay you minimum wage to do it?

It's not like there's some kind of conspiracy in silicon valley to push wages down for what is actually extremely challenging intellectual labor
>>
>>57901138
well if intro-level programming courses are going over your head you won't make much of a sysadmin either. Both jobs are stressful, if low stress is a priority you need to be in a different program.
>>
>>57901186
>>57901189
Maybe I should just stick with my passion, graphics.
>>
>>57901205
I took Networking class before, I understood the concepts and was able to build a network. I'm just saying, is on the job itself more stressful or less stressful than programming. I just don't want to be bored doing either one.
>>
Network admin is boring as fuck I switched to programming after one semester and that was the shit. I have 5 years of experience now and I'm not even getting bored.
>>
>>57901223
Yep, you actually should.

Especially given that you're probably a first worlder, you're lucky, it's not going to be this bad.

Just acquaint yourself with the right tools.
>>
>>57901290
The thing with graphic design is i heard it's competitive and heard to get a job. And it doesn't pay as well as networking or programming.

I know that with Networking you're on call a lot and you have to do a lot of hands on stuff. With programming you are less hands on and more software but has anyone worked as a programmer. Do you get bored of it?
>>
File: 1461954377633.png (104KB, 749x773px) Image search: [Google]
1461954377633.png
104KB, 749x773px
>>57901189
>It's not like there's some kind of conspiracy in silicon valley to push wages down for what is actually extremely challenging intellectual labor
>>
>>57901239
Networking is less tedious, and by that, way more interesting.
There's also usually less work to do with networking.

Other then that, they are both mostly problem solving, and math. So git good.
>>
>>57901340
It's really about you. I was autistic from the beginning and I knew I'm going to be a programmer. I'm still not getting bored after 5 years of working in the industry but a lot of my colleagues are saying it's getting boring and they want to quit.
>>
>>57901410
>networking
>math

If by math you mean punching numbers into an IP table calculator.
>>
>>57901493
Lmao nigger.

It may not be hard math, but being able to calculate routing and determining paths on the fly is nice. Especially if you have to deal with BGP.
>>
File: hqdefault.jpg (13KB, 480x360px) Image search: [Google]
hqdefault.jpg
13KB, 480x360px
>>57901138
>hey Larry can we take some stock photos and put them on our website? Is that A-OK with you? *snickers*
>*puts down bag of cheetos* I don't want you macbook normies fucking anything up so stand here and pretend you're coding in front of this empty drive cage here and looking at it in confusion
>>
>>57901138

You need to be able to program to be a network admin though, you'll have to write bash scripts and such for doing backup jobs etc.
>>
>>57902592
>programming

>bash scripts

a baby can write a bash script
>>
>>57902894

Yes, but a baby can't write a good bash script.
>>
I studied CS. Was a programmer and now a network admin (better pay in the same company).

Programming was more difficult/challenging on the job for me then it was in school.

Any network class I took was way more difficult then anything I do on a day-to-day basis.

My day consists of shitposting, youtube, and clicking a few buttons on a UI that controls vSwitches that are 99% automated. Sometimes I get to tell these 20+ year "IT Professionals" how stupid they are when they do things like use a public subnet on the vLAN instead of using sanctioned private subnets. Also explaining to these "IT Professionals" that you should assign a Static IP on your fucking critical service and not rely on DHCP.

Sure I studied my ass off the week before my white board interview for this network admin position. However, there is no way I remember any of that now. I'd have to google it.
>>
>>57901138
>pretend coding on a macbook while staring at an empty server cage in confusion
Macfags everyone.
>>
>>57902920
Not like you need the most computationally efficient bash script, just one that runs.

Sysadmins dont' have to be good programmers.

People get this mixed up.
>>
>>57902948
kek
>>
>>57901393
Holy shit that's foul.
>>
>>57901138
Network admin of 6 years here.

Learning and understanding everything involved is quite hard. Doing the actual job isn't a problem as long as you know your shit,
the pay is good as well imo.

Programming is something you'd want to stay away from if you don't want stress.
>>
>Wanting less stress

The robots and AI are coming and not before time
>>
>>57901340
>>57901290 is right. If you're passionate about graphic design and have just an interest in computers, you should try to go for that first.

It'll be hard work to get your skills up to the point where you're competitive in the market, but you could say the same about programming. If you have a passion for graphics, then the hard work won't be as miserable (although it's likely to be somewhat miserable at first either way.)

Remember, what you choose to specialize in now will probably become you'll be doing for most of your waking hours for at least the next few years. Try the thing you're passionate about first, before you're too dependent on a paycheck doing something you don't enjoy.

From what my designer friends tell me, you should:
Invest in buying/mastering photoshop. Everyone expects you to at least know how to use it.

Build up a portfolio. This is how you'll get your jobs. For starters, you can just shit out some quick sketches or put previous work. Get something out there first, then make it good. If you want "real world" work to put in your portfolio, offer to help a non-profit with their stuff pro bono. They'll be happy for it, and it keeps you from building a reputation for doing client work for free.

If you're interested in programming, learn some simple front end stuff. Free Code Camp is a good starting point. If you can design and know enough programming to not be lost in a front end codebase, that will make you much more valuable.

Bone up on psychology if you want to get into UI design. Knowing how people think and process information is incredibly valuable there.

Get involved in the design community. At least read some design blogs, preferably start your own.
>>
File: 1422506599159.jpg (331KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
1422506599159.jpg
331KB, 1920x1080px
>>57901239
Not more or less.
Programming is a constant predictable level of stress, that will rise before deadline and fall afterwards.
Administration is unpredictable. There are days where you spin on your chair all day (those are the hardest days IMO) and there are days where shit breaks and you got to extinguish multiple fires at once.
>>
>>57902928
Would you say that the Network admin job is funner that your previous programming job.

I don't want to slave years away in school and then have a change of mind and not want to program anymore. I hear a lot about how in programming you're basically just working on other people's code. I heard it gets old quick. The networking job actually sounds kind of fun. I don't want too much stress or too much responsibilities. My real passion is art and design though.
>>
I just want a job paying 70k a year where I can shitpost most of the day, do I go Networking or Programming route?
>>
>>57901186
>If you can't take first semester programming you sure as hell can't learn TCP/IP and all the protocols required to work as an admin.
Well, that's bullshit.
>>57905692
None. Set up drupal for losers and you will be good.
>>
>>57901186
I cant program for shit but I passed 3 networking classes.

Just read the CCNA books, watch CBT nuggets and do Cisco labs in packet tracer
>>
>>57902928
Well this isn't a network admin job if you have to do nothing or just click some buttons.
Can you configure a Cisco switch/router by hand ?
It would be pretty weird to have someone with experience but can't even route and switch and configure Cisco stuff
>>
>>57905960
It's true tho lots of seniors in networking I know, can write and read C code.
Unless you want to be a cable monkey forever you gotta learn more.
Specially networking is pretty big and future will be a lot of IPv6 stuff.
Don't forget to learn about SDN as well ( it's the future )
>>
Networking has always felt more rewarding to learn. It's more interesting to work within the rule sets, you make clear progress when applying a new concept for the first time, and the different "schools" of networking provide a lot of variety in things to learn and people to talk to with different skill sets than yours.

But the jobs are stupid. You might work for an ignorant small to medium sized company that doesn't know what exactly you're for, and has no relevant work challenges to give you, but then the network mysteriously breaks and you have to spend two days at work without going home, trying to fix the problem with people screaming at you to fix it the whole time.
Or you're a consultant, constantly advertising, trying to whore yourself around to businesses, trying to find someone that will give you a contract for a couple months to deploy equipment or fix a problem their IT department couldn't.
Or you might get lucky and wind up at a larger tech business, and get to live inside the air conditioned server room and play videogames with the other people that get to live in the air conditioned server room while everyone waits to get paged about something to do.
Or you train. There is such a high chance that you'll wind up being a trainer if you want any stable work, it's crazy.
>>
How easy is it to get a networking job with an associates and at least a ccent?
>>
>>57901138
>wearing a suit in a datacenter
Fuck man I start sweating in ours when I'm in shorts and a t-shirt
>>
>>57907116
That's because you're a fat, hairy slob, anon.
>>
Been working in IT field for 5 years. Got hired on at a place I did an internship at near the end of my program and keep in touch with all my friends from school. I work as a jr sysadmin and this is my perspective.

Networking is hard as fuck. It's really really hard and everyone takes it for granted. People just assume you plug routers into each other and that's it when in reality you have to have more foresight than fucking Nostradamus. Oh btw, I hope you know how to do everything twice in ipv4 and ipv6.... You'll also be called whenever anything goes down after hours. You are responsible for the core network and if you run an online site, the entire company will hold you responsible for each minute dumb customers can't buy your shitty products. They won't acknowledge how awesome you are when you do good work. All they care about is when they're impacted by network outages.

Same things can be said about sysadmins except you look after virtual server clusters rather than network equipment.

Most developers are fucking repulsive... They usually have some fucking weird social disorder and you feel like you're talking to someone on a phone falling down the stairs. It's also astonishing how many bad devs there are. If you're unlucky and happen to be a good dev, you'll end up doing more work than everyone else around you. You'll also have to deal with marketing and other departments in your company who request new tools. Most of your day will be filled with shit meeting trying to figure of what the fuck these people want and what they want changes daily.

My advice. Don't get into IT. Take a finance course, learn some VB and SQL and make pivot tables like a boss and earn six figures. Most finance people are fucking stupid. They learned tax laws a decade ago and now use software that does everything for them. Easy money.
>>
>>57907402
How much do you make? Would you say it's worth the stress?
>>
Currently going to school for a network administrator degree but the degree plan doesn't involve any programming courses, which is pretty disappointing as I know some programming fundamentals and enjoy programming. I guess it might be a waste of time for me to learn programming officially but still..
>>
>>57907116
data centers are usually cold.
are you that fat, anon?
Thread posts: 41
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.