[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why do people seem to hate Python 3?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 52
Thread images: 2

File: python-2-vs-python-31-780x350.jpg (36KB, 780x350px) Image search: [Google]
python-2-vs-python-31-780x350.jpg
36KB, 780x350px
Why do people seem to hate Python 3?
>>
because you need to put print statements inside parentheses in python 3. Also it is hard to find libraries that are not supported by Python 3 now, so there is no logical reason to avoid changing except pure rage and hatred so that is what people cultivate.
>>
>>57895437
>because you need to put print statements inside parentheses in python 3
except for Python 2 backward compatibility issues, how does that trigger people?
>>
>>57895475
I don't know either, especially since that particular change is fucking easy to automate. Use a regex to extract the argument to the print statement, put parenthesis around it, done.
If you're an absolute madman, write a Python 3 script to do it.
>>
>>57895406
Because python maintainers did everything they could to ensure that the transition was as rocky as possible and most people feel like the horrible way python3 was introduced damaged the python ecosystem as a whole

http://blog.thezerobit.com/2014/05/25/python-3-is-killing-python.html
>>
>>57895557
We use Python 3 at work, and I have never needed a 3rd party library that did not support python 3.

Apart from backward compatibility there is no good reason to avoid python 3.
>>
>>57895644
dumb faggot
>>
>>57895644
>I have never needed a 3rd party library that did not support python 3
You're not everyone, and most people don't use projects as small as yours.
>>
I use python2 because it suits me well and I don't want to risk that I will not be able to use some old library when needed
>>
>>57895661
Just use the standard library, fagget.
>>
just for the fun of re-writting your old python 2 libraries to python 3.
>>
What are some objective advantages of python 3 compared to 2? Why should I switch?
>>
>>57895711
- You can use print statements with parentheses, just like a function.

- Higher version number

- Many many other things.
>>
>>57895691
Nah, I think I and the rest of the people who want to write actually useful shit will just stick with the version that allows us to use all libraries instead of arbitrarily limiting ourselves to a fraction of the available code for no good reason
>>
>>57895745
>You can use print statements with parentheses, just like a function
I can do that in python2 as well. All python3 did was remove support for the statement form.
>>
>>57895767
You can't when it's something like
print("foo", "bar")

because Python 2 interprets that as a tuple
>>
What I hate about Python is how fragmented the versioning system is.
Give me one fucking fork that I can use forever and I'll be happy.
>>
File: 1472819362562.jpg (59KB, 655x527px) Image search: [Google]
1472819362562.jpg
59KB, 655x527px
>>57895406

it's not turing complete
>>
Python 4 when?
>>
the biggest issue I think is they absolutely different ways it handles strings and byte sequences

in python 2 they were unified, a string was a ASCII byte sequence and Unicode strings were a separate class
this allowed you to use simple io functions like print and input with raw binary data

in python 3 strings are Unicode so you cannot use them to store raw binary data. if you want to do io with raw binary data you have to use the file interface

this difference is important if do CTF challenges because you often use a mix of readable ASCII strings and raw binary data interpreted as ASCII strings
>>
>>57895661
He could be in Google for all you know, they use python3

>>57895406
Backward compatibility mostly. Especially scientific libraries are usually unmaintained, if the author even put his name on it.

>>57895711
Its developed much more, people are now building more packages for 3 than for 2 and this will continue.
Type hinting will become a thing.
Integer division is now the way it should be. Unpacking is better now. Better iterators and no more JavaScript-tier 'a'>1.
Also enums
>>
>>57895406
Because the creators could have aimed for a good high-level compiled language or a good interpreted language that has all possible advantages of each approach when developing Python 3.

Instead they made it incompatible with Python 2 for some flimsy excuses.

>>57895836
Let's not imply that they get it right with the next try.

>>57895820
>fuck off zed

>>57896046
>scientific libraries are usually unmaintained, if the author even put his name on it.
That's always the case, though. Scientists are the greatest memesters because they don't pay someone to actually maintain the code.
Therefore, whenever possible, scientist shouldn't have anything to say when it comes to programming languages and related tools.
>>
>>57895711
sane unicode
>>
>>57895406
Python 2 was the worst scripting language. Python 3 is even worse. You do the math.
>>
I don't hate it, but iterators are garbage. I just want lists back.
>>
>>57896513
Python 3 have lists as well.
>>
>>57896610
He means when you do something like
dict.keys()

you get a list in Python 2, but an iterator in Python 3
>>
>>57896664
Oh yeah... that IS shit, why did they change that?
>>
>>57895797

That's Python 3, also known as Python now.
>>
>>57896513
>>57896694

What difference does it make to you?
>>
>>57896664
Just use list(dict.keys()), if it matters that much to you.
>>
>>57896709
I cant do

dict.keys()[3]
>>
>>57895753
Just list one library that does not support 3. Just one. Faggot.
>>
>>57896836
good

You can still do list(dict.keys())[3] if you want to be a faggot.
>>
>>57896894
http://py3readiness.org/

the top 100 modules aren't even all ported to 3

faggot
>>
>>57896836
There is no reason you would ever want to do that.
Keys are unordered.
>>
>>57897066
>95% of the top 360 packages are ported to Python 3.

There is a very high chance that you can use Python 3 just fine. Especially for a new project where you can just pick a Python 3 library from the start.
>>
>>57895711
Integer division returns float
>>
I hate it because Flask doesn't support it yet.
>>
Is Python 3 Django up?
>>
>>57895406
Because it fixed some retarded stuff that people got used to.
>>
>>57895406
Because it's not compatible with Python 2
>>
>>57900579
Migration can be hard
>>
>>57895820
If you can build a BrainFuck interpreter, then it is turing complete.

Hint: It's really fucking easy to build a brainfuck interpreter in Python3
>>
>>57895820
>>57896308
>it's not turing complete
>fuck off zed

It's disgusting how much reddit, hn and the coding-bootcamp conglomerate shilled for this guy's books.

I just had to read the first chapter where he bullied people to use a specific editor or an OS to figure out that they must be avoided at all costs
>>
>>57897069
Yeah, I figured that out the second I pressed 'submit'... I am glad it's an anonymous image board
>>
>>57895406
Am I allowed to say "because I don't like Python, whatever the version"?
>>
>>57900969
Of course

I still don't like how it uses indentation for syntax and makes some things very hard or impossible (like you can't have two simple statements on the same line)
>>
>>57900651
In perl you just rub your ass on the keyboard while farting, and you've got a brainfuck interpreter. Take that python
>>
>>57901019
You can use a ;
>>
because people rather do work than relearn syntax that was implemented by academia circlejerks that often make changes without real world benefit only to be more precisely correct about a concept that does not require that level of percision
>>
>>57895527
uhh, what? That's exactly what 2to3 does, but it also handles almost all the other changes as well.
Thread posts: 52
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.