[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

VPN, torrenting, public wifi

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 1

File: doge financial.jpg (65KB, 490x474px) Image search: [Google]
doge financial.jpg
65KB, 490x474px
Do you have to use a VPN while torrenting if you are using public wifi?
>>
Yes i tunnel everything through my home connection
>>
>>57885544
>yes
why?
>I tunnel everything through my home connection
I'm not sure what that means. Are you saying you use the VPN in your home?

I can see the reason for using it in your home, but I was wondering if it was necessary to use it on your neighbor's wifi or a starbucks wifi.

I've only heard of people getting in trouble with their ISPs and/or the organizations they work for. What can happen if you're "caught" using someone else's wifi? It's not like the copyright owners will take me to court, right?
>>
You can never be certain in what way the wifi is secured; someone might be packetsniffing or the owner is simply making logs of what everyone does.

In any case, if you value your privacy, yes, you should.
>>
>>57885577
>I'm not sure what that means. Are you saying you use the VPN in your home?
They run the VPN _server_ at home and connect to it from the public WiFi
>>
>>57885723
will those logs get me in trouble for piracy?

I'll go with potentially getting spied on by a really unlikely person with nothing better to do, but I don't want to get busted for fuxin wit copyright
>>
>>57885751
I haven't learned how VPN works yet. I'm a brokeass and really don't want to spend the money. My IP can't get shut down because if I'm pirating it's always a neighbor or a starbucks, right? Is there any other risk specific to copyright?
>>
>>57885754
they could potentially use them against you.

For example, if they get a copyright claim for X and they know you torrented X, then they would obviously try to go against you.

It really depends on the country though; for example in germany if you register your wifi as public you cannot be charged for stuff done by your customers, so owners wouldn't really care in the first place.
>>
>>57885821
who's "they" and how/why would they construct some kind of proof that I pirated on their network?
>>
VPN is just someone else's computer.
>>
>>57885577
>>57885765
Lmao this retard doesn't know you can run your own VPN server
Thread posts: 11
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.