[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Is there any reason to install Windows 10 instead of Windows

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 3

File: 1479058416153.jpg (210KB, 857x994px) Image search: [Google]
1479058416153.jpg
210KB, 857x994px
Is there any reason to install Windows 10 instead of Windows 7 on a new gaming machine? All I've heard is "ditch 10, keep 7", but most of the arguments are about telemetry and as far as I know that shit can be disabled. Yet no one favors 10.

And yes I'm already using Linux on the machine I use for the important stuff.
>>
dx12 games and future support
>>
>>57884405
>and as far as I know that shit can be disabled.
It can't... If you manage to disable it then you can easily get a job at google (or any other technology company) without an interview.

And now I mean ACTUALLY disabling it, not running some script of the internet that says "The telemetry is disabled" after running it, but it havent done shit.
>>
Slightly better multi monitor support, and eventually you'll be forced to ditch windows 7 for dx12 and some other future stuff.
>>
Get 8.1
>>
>>57884492
Now this is one I haven't heard before.
>>
>>57884418

This

>>57884470

You could at least circumvent connections with a 3rd party firewall.

But still fuck that shit. MS went full retard...
>>
>>57884557
>You could at least circumvent connections with a 3rd party firewall.

You can try... If you use a 3rd party firewall on windows it will have no effect at all.

If you block the servers on a router firewall or something, then you will have trouble connecting to the internet at all and will experience constant weird behaviour like suddenly disconnecting and so on. (you will also not get access to security updates, also the telemetry data will keep filling up your computer if it does not get an ability to send it somewhere. And it's not accessible as normal files.
>>
keep using Linux for your "important stuff" and get 10 for games.

if you only use Windows for games, then would you even care about what data MS collects?
>>
File: jew_hue_hue.jpg (10KB, 480x360px) Image search: [Google]
jew_hue_hue.jpg
10KB, 480x360px
>>57884647
gaymers stay cucked lol
>>
>>57884647
>if you only use Windows for games, then would you even care about what data MS collects?

Credit card information from steam... Eventually Microsoft will be hacked because they spy so much that their servers are super valuable. It is going to be leaked some day.
>>
>>57884704
pretty sure i use paypal for steam
>>
>>57884726
Well... Collect your paypal password and shit then
>>
>>57884405
>brit_genepool.jpg
>>
>>57884628
>You can try... If you use a 3rd party firewall on windows it will have no effect at all.

Hmm. So let's say (god forbid) that I used zone alarm I would not be able to block outgoing connections?

>you will have trouble connecting to the internet at all and will experience constant weird behaviour

jebus. This solidifies that I want nothing to do with 10...
>>
>>57884405
There's bullshit video capture software on by default in 10 that you need to install the Xbox app to disable, and create an XBL account to log into. Windows 10 also breaks drivers for various things, and since 10 tracks your use and schedules updates at times it knows you won't be around, you don't know when these updates happen so if a driver breaks, you might not have any idea what update broke it. 10 will also wake itself from sleep in order to apply these updates and to phone home sometimes; I've seen several systems running 10 wake from sleep, seemingly do nothing, then go back to sleep.

Windows 10 is pure cancer and you should avoid it if you can. I've been using Windows since I was very young; my first windows was 3.1 and I used my father's msdos machines before that... This is the first Windows since ME that I've uncompromisingly avoided.
>>
>>57884470
You can disable most telemetry by blocking Microsoft domains in the hosts file.

Having the Enterprise version also helps, because you have more options in the group policy editor so you can disable annoying stuff like scheduled updates or restarts.

But after you block Microsoft domains, you won't be able to use things like the Store or Cortana.

Then after you block domains, you can use Wireshark to check if it still connects to Microsoft. I haven't found any new connections, but you never know.

If it still calls home, use a third party firewall, I guess, and block the rest of the IPs it still connects to. But then, probably, you might not have access to some critical things like automatic drivers installation.
>>
>>57884628
>the telemetry data will keep filling up your computer
This is not true. Provide evidence.

Telemetry is not meant to save offline data, it's meant to send it to their servers.
>>
>>57884405
I like 10

all the changes people are butthurt about are more convenient once you get used to them
>>
>>57884780
That's not telemetry, that's private data. They don't collect that. Unless your browser saves your passwords and you didn't disable that.
>>
File: Capture.png (31KB, 827x458px) Image search: [Google]
Capture.png
31KB, 827x458px
>>57884801
You just don't know how to configure it.

That shit only affects computer illiterates.

The wakeup thing is a power policy, can be disabled fast (check pic related).
>>
>>57884405
Windows 10 is buggy as fuck. Unless all you do is play the latest AAA shovelware, Windows 10 is a risky proposition because your shit might not work.
>>
>>57884810
>You can disable most telemetry by blocking Microsoft domains in the hosts file.

No... Block Microsoft domains in your host file and then notice that... It still connects to Microsoft domains, the OS overrides the host file. Check your connections.

You will of course have trouble connecting to Microsoft servers and might cause other services to stop working. But the telemetry is still sent as far as I know, unless they have changed that.

>>57884846
>That's not telemetry, that's private data. They don't collect that. Unless your browser saves your passwords and you didn't disable that.

Most people have their passwords saved on their browsers because it's convenient.
Thread posts: 23
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.