[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Dust-proofing your PC case & ideas

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 64
Thread images: 14

File: CAM00052.jpg (558KB, 1920x2560px) Image search: [Google]
CAM00052.jpg
558KB, 1920x2560px
Hi there, posted my setup in a thread >>57870699 that was archived.
Since some anons were interested by the idea, I made a new thread about this.

As I already stated, the objective of my setup is not aesthetic, it even look shitty but it do the damn job at keeping dust away.

Here is my case front end covered by a car air filter (cabin filter, not a fuel filter).
I did it based after the shitty filters you can find on recent computer cases,
As all those filters do is obstructing your fans and reducing your air flow, I started experimenting with other materials like kitchen hood filters, pollen filters and so on.

Then, while I was searching for an air filter for my car, I found a wide range of cabin filters of different sizes, eventually finding one fitting the front of my case.
>>
That's too restrictive for the shitty fans in computers you are getting zero air flow
>>
File: IMG_20161207_160555.jpg (2MB, 2151x2868px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20161207_160555.jpg
2MB, 2151x2868px
>>57883353
As for the installation of the filter, really nothing too technical.

I used cardboard that I inserted between the fans casing, that would stick out and fit between the filters fins, effectively holding it in place and making it more air tight (nor enough imo).

Then I covered the sides, fitting the pc casing, and finally added straps to frimly attach it, while it can still be easily removed,

If anyone have questions or new ideas, would be glad to answer
>>
Look, just get some panty hose or stocking, and wrap the case or the fans in that. Change it out once a month or something.
>>
>>57883450
^^ this. You dumb fuck, you may ands well just turn all the fans off instead. Literally thatll kill airflow.
>>
>>57883353
Nice, you're back mate
>>
>>57883711
>>57883450

Adding to these anons. having your fans running through such a dense filter not generating any flow, you're also adding to the heat because the fans are not moving any air.

Post your temps OP
>>
>>57883712
Nice to see you too
Thoses above can't even get a clue about airflow physics...

>>57883450
>>57883711

My airflow is fine, like really fine.
So much that removing the filter on the go don't change a thing.
When it does (and I experienced it with the current on-the-market pc case filters) you hear the fans pushing harder, as the load on the electric motors increase.
I even did benchmark with and without. No difference.
Did you even saw a car air filter before?
>>
>>57883811
A furmark will do it?
>>
>>57883880
>So much that removing the filter on the go don't change a thing.

All this means is the fans are pulling air from around the filter

That filter is very restrictive
>>
File: CAM00204.jpg (610KB, 2560x1920px) Image search: [Google]
CAM00204.jpg
610KB, 2560x1920px
>>57884007
How do you explain that I feel the air flow by placing my hand on the front of the filter?

Thoses filters aren't as thick as you think they are...
The lots of foldings increase the surface, then it reduce the restrain by increasing the surface,

Hell I can even feel my breath through it by blowing onto it
>>
>>57883481
>Look, just get some panty hose or stocking, and wrap the case or the fans in that. Change it out once a month or something.
this although wrapping the fans is a pain in the ass when you need to change it, and that the hose will probably start to get sucked in to the fan, just tape it over the air intake vents on the case
>>
>>57884140
You need a more powerful fan dude, if you replaced those two DC fans with one with a bigger motor it will work, but those two fans are not going to cut it.
>>
that case is a dust magnet. i gave mine to my dad who is seriously still using it. he constantly complains about temperatures and blames it on dust, but i believe it's really the age of the hardware.

i hope you're not trying this without some sort of temperature monitoring tool that has the ability to shut your computer down in case of fan failure. also how do you clean a car air filter? can you keep it from building up dust?

post temperatures op. before & after, load & no load
>>
File: 20161207_105932.jpg (444KB, 2064x1161px) Image search: [Google]
20161207_105932.jpg
444KB, 2064x1161px
been using these magnet mesh filter for years
>>
>>57884140
>A-anon kun...
>please don't be so rough
>be gentle senpai
>>
File: notepad_2016-12-07_19-15-14.png (39KB, 1017x675px) Image search: [Google]
notepad_2016-12-07_19-15-14.png
39KB, 1017x675px
>>57883811
>>57884293

For god sake I'm trying to post the result but I keep getting this message
(My post in the Notepad on the right)

I even tried to send it in small parts...
>>
File: téléchargement.png (3MB, 1600x1080px) Image search: [Google]
téléchargement.png
3MB, 1600x1080px
>>57885300
Well here are the Furmark screenshoot of the runs
Left is With filter,
Right is without
(I know this one started at 50°c, messed up the start, but it reach from 30 to 50° in 10 seconds anyway)
>>
>>57884368
Do thoses catch anything?
I'm quite upset about putting magnetic things on my case, having HDDs...
>>
Just make sure youre case is airtight
>>
Tape coffee filter paper over every part of the case that has ventilation. If you do it inside the case, it doesn't even look that bad.
>>
>>57885399
That's a huge difference for minimum temps. Maximum temp is almost the same though. But hey the dust is our topic here
>>
>>57885399
>fan 52%
> temp 70c
maybe do something about that
>>
>>57883353
Interesting idea.
Does it work?
I live in very very VERY dusty region.
And have to clean my desktop every other week.
>>
File: vfilter.gif (10KB, 207x226px) Image search: [Google]
vfilter.gif
10KB, 207x226px
I just buy these at walmart and cut them to size

they're for floor vents in a house

work great and fit inside the case so they don't look autistic
>>
>Have corsair 650D
>Have 0 dust issues

Just buy a good case, I maybe have to clean once every 2 years
>>
>>57885987
damn that's a slick looking case
>>
>>57885950
Oh right, forgot this
I used to modify the PWM curve with MSI afterburner, but this imply having a process running in background if I remember...
I'll modify this.
>>
File: CA065AN_20474_800x800.jpg (137KB, 800x800px) Image search: [Google]
CA065AN_20474_800x800.jpg
137KB, 800x800px
>>57885971
Yes it work really fine,
(aside the fact that I have an Antec 900, pic related, and dust still got in by the open top, but I'm too lazy to cover it everyday...)

I think it would be even more effective if I could make the case trully air-tight, but I need to find a non-permanent way to do so...
ofc I could seal it but this would be retarded as I need to access the front of my case to switch my HDD.
>>
>>57885444
they catch quite a lot, there are non magnetic versions too that you screw in with the fan.
A bit harder to remove but you can just vacuum the filter every couple of weeks and it works fine.
>>
Contrary to popular belief.
Dust isn't bad for your computer as long as you clean it out before it builds up
>>
>>57886700
The whole point of a filter is you never have to clean out dust
>>
>>57886581
http://www.dx.com/p/akasa-aluminum-computer-case-fan-dust-guard-grill-filter-black-14-x-14cm-165093

I use that one and some 120mm ones for the side/ back fans on my antec 300-II.
Huge difference in dust

Found this one on aliexpress
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/140mm-cuttable-dust-filter/32656047177.html
Doesnt have the frame but should work fine as well.
>>
>>57886716
I'd rather have the temps
>>
>>57886700
Nobody thinks it's bad for your computer, dingus, but once it's in there it's annoying to clean out, and if you leave it, it can cause components to start overheating.
>>
I just take my PC down to the garage once a quarter and use my air compressor on it. You can get a cheapo air compressor for less than $100. It's fine for stuff like cleaning or painting, just don't try to drive an impact with it. Also, get a water trap or you'll spray water on your PCB.
>>
>>57886759
Have you read this thread?
>>
>>57886768
>buy all that shit to blow out your computer once in a while

>buy some $3 air filters at wal mart that will last me 10 years and never have to blow out my computer

hmm

hard decision
>>
>>57886759

>and if you leave it, it can cause components to start overheating.

Maybe after years of not cleaning it, and even then that's a long shot. Even the stock heatsink that comes with a CPU has the ability to go into an office computer and pretty much work for 5+ years without ever being cleaned. Aftermarket heatsinks have so much more surface area, and probably would last even longer with dust on them.

/g/ and all other tech forms are echo chambers. Your CPU and GPU can run at 70 or 80C for long periods of time and be fine. Sure it's not preferred and you will get better performance at cooler temps. However, your computer isn't going to die because it spiked above 50C like so many like to believe.
>>
>>57886911

Some people do other things then just computer shit... Air compressor is extremely useful for other things.
>>
>>57886911
Nigga i use the air compressor for everything, including brushing my teeth and breakfst
>>
>>57886768
I was doing that before, but my compressor didn't have water trap, so I got lubricant oil and water on my PCB and heatsink on the long term....
Once the oil lubricant got on the fins of the heat sink it was too late

Since then I use a vacuum cleaner, and cotton tipped stick/small paint brush to remove the dust.
And papertowel with a bit of alcohol for cleaning the fans

>>57886911
That's exactly my point,
Why i'm not sure it will last 10 years, I'm sure I will not have to dust it soon. Been 6 month since the filter is on, the few dust who came in only came from the 120mm top-fan
>>
>>57887017

Water trap costs about $15 at your local auto parts store. It's easy to install, just spend another $2 on Teflon tape. I have tried the vacuuming and it just isn't the same.
>>
>>57883353
just clean your room regularly.
>>
File: 145d.png (451KB, 568x730px) Image search: [Google]
145d.png
451KB, 568x730px
>>57886581
Nice.
Sadly the desktop I'm having difficulties with is old (2004) and the case is even older (2000).
It look similar to pic related.
Not sure how or where to put the filters.

Will probably clean it tomorrow since it can't stay on for more than 10 min before it shutdown.
I have to turn off the heating and wait until the room is cold to turn it on.
>>
>>57886768
Isn't it bad to use air compressor/vacuum to clean dust?
Since this cause static electricity to build up or something?
>>
>>57886917
>Your CPU and GPU can run at 70 or 80C for long periods of time and be fine
Isn't this related to the CPU itself?
http://www.buildcomputers.net/cpu-temperature.html
>>
>>57888282
No more than 10 min?...
Dude, you may have some other issues like your heatsink being detached, or the fan being dead...

>>57888315
You must block all the fans to prevent them from spinning like crazy, as it can/will destroy their motor/the PCB they are mounted on.

As of today pretty much all of the PCB are static-protected, but it may be wise not to masturbate your components for hours with the pressurised air jet.

For the vacuum cleaner it is mostly safe, you still need to prevent the fans from spinning, but if you let the muzzle far enough and instead use some smooth brush to make the dust and packs fly toward the vacuum, it is really safe.
Sorry for the typos, I'm sure I wrote some aberrations.
>>
>>57888540
Nah, I checked the fan still running, for now.
and the heat sink is still on.
It could be the thermal paste that may need replacing, changed back in 2010, I think.
As I said it's very old, Pentium 4, 512 MB RAM, 64 MB Nvidia Geforce MX.
Still running WinXP SP2.
>>
>>57888540
>You must block all the fans
With what?
Does this apply as well when using air cans?
>>
>>57888315
Yes

Holy shit. Just get a bottle of compressed air once per year and give it a blow. It's like $5 per year since a can will last 2-3 cleans
>>
>>57888656
Fans spinning when the PC is not on can damage them if they spin too fast.

Those compressed air cans have long nozzles so you don't blow the fans like you would with a large air compressor

Use a small brush and air to clean fans but hold them when you blow them
>>
File: sss.jpg (38KB, 600x304px) Image search: [Google]
sss.jpg
38KB, 600x304px
I need a dust filter for the top of my Define S.

I'm thinking about sticking together some plastic or metal rods and fit some pantyhose over.
>>
File: why.jpg (4KB, 106x184px) Image search: [Google]
why.jpg
4KB, 106x184px
>>57888598
>>
>>57888847
Why not?
It's the only desktop I have, still have yugioh games with all the cards unlocked, and I use it just to print and some times playing VNs.
Since the printer isn't fully compatible with linux.
>>
I keep it behind a closed door in my desk.

Amazingly it can be on all day in the summer and the CPU never goes above 50°C.

No water cooling or anything, no case fan, just the CPU fan.
>>
File: Vortex_6_inch_fan.jpg (58KB, 479x455px) Image search: [Google]
Vortex_6_inch_fan.jpg
58KB, 479x455px
didnt read the thread

i have a setup that doesnt get dusty at all.

i have a fan like one in pic related, in a big tupperware container with padding. no lid on it, and instead i have a standard furnace filter thats about just the right size so its duct taped around, making an airtight seal.

a hole cut in the size of the box, and a flex hose conmected to the fan going out the hole in the box, flex yose goes into a connector on the top of my PC case blowing air into it.

i think theres a few fans inside the case set to blow out. maybe theres no fans except the ones on the gpu amd cpu, i cant remember.

had this setup for a few years, works fine for cooling (although i dont do much intensive except for some gaming) and no dust has formed at all, at least not in the first year or so.

ill take some pics if youre interested i guess.

basic setup, gets the job done. dust proofing a PC isnt hard per se.
>>
File: cpudust.jpg (31KB, 267x217px) Image search: [Google]
cpudust.jpg
31KB, 267x217px
>>57886917

dust clogs the cooler ribs quickly. It's better to have the dust distributed over a filter than right inside your cooling ribs
>>
>>57888972
I think I am in love
Found the model and power supply on amazon,
Yet i'm craving for pics of your installation
>>
File: Screenshot_20161207-181307.png (4MB, 1440x2560px) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_20161207-181307.png
4MB, 1440x2560px
>>57889349
>>
>>57884229
>>57883353

Obtain metal coathanger, bend into desired shape of filter. Put panty hose over metal frame. Mount frame in desired location.

Just gotta get creative
>>
>>57886917
>Your CPU and GPU can run at 70 or 80C
most gpus, yes.
CPUs on the otherhand, no.
amd cuts off at 60C-65C
>>
>>57890007
you're a couch serfing faggot and i wish you'd die of an overdose already
>>
Just buy a decent fucking case
Thread posts: 64
Thread images: 14

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.