[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Subnetting

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 1

File: subnetting[1].jpg (369KB, 2000x1414px) Image search: [Google]
subnetting[1].jpg
369KB, 2000x1414px
I've got subnetting down fairly well. The only thing I really have trouble with is efficiently assigning them without being too wasteful.

For example:

If I've got to subnet an IP down into 2 subnetworks with 6 hosts, and 1 subnetwork with 10 hosts, I usually have trouble and answer the problem wrong.

What is a good way to practice this?
>>
> Not using IPV6 and not giving a fuck how many you waste because they're practically infinite
>>
>>57877246
>he IPv6 will be mainstream anytime soon

Cisco subnetting curriculum is like 85% IPv4 and 15% IPv6. I don't even think I know how to subnet IPv6.
>>
>>57877224
That graphic irks me, Class C addresses are only submittable at the 4th octet, changing the third is changing to another network
>>
>>57879445
subnettable
>>
>>57879452
>classes
>2016

Classful adressing is gone since over two decades and was replaced with CIDR (classless interdomain routing). Any instructors who keep implying that network classes still matter rather than having a purely historical context should kill themselves.

192.168.0.0/16 is the third private address block, and you can use it in whatever way you like, be it a single /16 network, or 32768 /31 networks (yes, a /31 netmask exists, and should be used for point-to-point links in place of /30 whenever possible as at doesn't waste half the address space).
>>
>>57877273
Subnetting ipv6 is way easier.
>>
>>57877246
>>57880035

IPv6 hasn't been widely implemented for decades, and meming edgy 20-year-olds aren't going to change that either. Anybody who's sane isn't going to give up manageable IPv4 in favor of the clusterfuck that is IPv6.
>>
>>57880035
Subnetting IPv4 is very easy unless you're a moron who can't memorize a hadful powers of 2, grasp a simple concept, and a method to apply it.
>>
>>57879445
so? the green and blue are class C (cidr >= 24)

the red host is "class b" and its nodes are two different networks, nothing wrong there
>>
>>57880017
is a /31 for broadcast networks with no collision detection? I can't see the point of having a single host address on a network otherwise...
>>
>>57877224
Two /29s and a /28. How is that hard?

>>57882276
Reread anon's post dipshit. It's for point to point networks. Vendors implement it in such a way that each host inherently knows there is only one other host on the network.
Thread posts: 12
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.