[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/sqt/ stupid question general

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 343
Thread images: 43

File: mp.jpg (40KB, 1600x900px) Image search: [Google]
mp.jpg
40KB, 1600x900px
For all the questions that don't deserve their own thread.
Last Thread >>57863278
>>
sony vegas or adobe premier?
>>
So my windows 7 installation is fucked after several years and I think I'm going to have to do a fresh install to fix it.

What's the easiest way to import everything? There's too much shit on this computer I want to bring forward.
>>
File: Untitled.png (10KB, 397x233px) Image search: [Google]
Untitled.png
10KB, 397x233px
How the fuck do I use the built-in 4chan extension thread filters? Whenever I add a thread subject filter with "Auto" for a board that already has a thread subject filter on "Hide" all the threads including the ones marked "Hide" appear in my threadwatcher on refresh
>>
Does someone know the current username/password for the installgentoo ftp?
>>
Is there a motherboard in a standard (EATX, ATX, uATX, ITX) form factor that uses a non-x86 CPU?

Other than that Talos thing that costs $4,000.
>>
i have next to no knowledge of cryptocurrencies. how do you mine them? how do you turn them into real money? what's the best one to mine, bitcoin?
>>
>>57876385
>>57876385

I'm putting my new PC together later on today, but apparently I heard that you have to be careful how you install your SSD. Apparently plugging it in and trying to use it off the bat destroys it or something?
>>
can i move my steam games from a old computer to a new one by moving the "SteamApps" folder? i never backed it up prior to my old computer dying

also whats a good office activator?
>>
What's a good/best book for general best practices for OOP coming from imperative languages? Also, I'm going to need it eventually, so what's an ~actually~ good book on java? (school mandates it, pls no bully). Not going to bother asking dpt because they'll just say "something something oop trash something muh functional programming etc"
>>
Retard here, I have a toaster for gaming but my friend just gave me his old RX 470. I tried to put it in and realized it doesn't have a VGA port. Is there some adapter I need or do i just need to get a new monitor?
>>
>>57877370

you can get an adapter.
>>
>>57876385
My SSD's wear leveling count in raw values is at 6 when I've only had it for a couple weeks. Should I be worried?
>>
I won 50 bucks betting on bovada and want to cash out, what is the best way to get my money?
>>
>>57877745
i forgot to mention using bitcoins to USD
>>
File: screenFetch-2016-12-07_00-09-20.png (3MB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
screenFetch-2016-12-07_00-09-20.png
3MB, 1920x1080px
So how do I rice?
>>
>>57877757
also is there a way to make that GPU line shorter
>>
File: untitiled.gif (582KB, 500x500px) Image search: [Google]
untitiled.gif
582KB, 500x500px
which torrent software should i get for windows? utorrent is so bloated and full of ads and the older versions gives me shit speed
>>
>>57877792
transmission qt
>>
Are Samsung phones 'inherently' better than for example cheap Xiaomi phones because they use better hardware and simply have more expensive build OR its because they're a brand?
I don't know why I still feel more confident paying $150 more for Samsung - or Sony.
>>
What are the programming languages I should learn ASAP if I want a good job?

Do people still learn C++ these days? What about C#, Java, etc?
>>
I want to buy a piano keyboard for my computer that's cheap/good at the same time, any recommendations?
>>
I'm following a tutorial series on game dev, specifically on this episode at that timestamp.

https://youtu.be/kQ8w5SL5ItE?list=PLS9MbmO_ssyBAc9wBC85_WG9aT88KGxH8&t=157

In this section he is installing :Lua 5.2.4 I went to follow and install it, I've installed languages before and I know how to append the filepath and stuff but I've encountered what might be a problem.

At the beginning he is pretty insistant not to use 5.3 because many programs, including love2D don't support 5.3. However the link to "Download the latest version"
https://sourceforge.net/projects/luabinaries/files/5.2.4/
Downloads the version 5.3.3 binaries.

Is this fine? I assume the devs know what they are doing, did they add 5.1/5.2 support? Will this work with love2D?
>>
>>57877930
Correction

I know Love2d runs its own version of Lua.

What I meant is will it be incompatible with the tutorial series*
>>
File: 1465566969481.jpg (357KB, 1280x854px) Image search: [Google]
1465566969481.jpg
357KB, 1280x854px
Can someone help me open/forward my port?

I've been struggling with it for awhile now. I got a static IP, but I can't forward my port. It's for a private tracker.

Maybe add me on steam?
http://steamcommunity.com/id/CoraxCorvus/
>>
Is popcorn time safe? I don't give fat baby's dick about copyright notices from ISP, but I'm taking about how it works.

Is it just a browser that crawls through sites and gets the content and streams it?
>>
Why can't I get SSH server working on arch. I installed OpenSSH and it doesn't work what am I missing?
>>
>>57878195
You dont have sshd running
>>
VLC had a dialog for displaying properties of the current video, such as bitrate, framerate, dimensions, etc. Any way to do this with mpv?
>>
>>57878224
download stats.lua and press 'i'
>>
I want to save thread space and post here.

I still live with my folks but otherwise I have a great job and transportation and what not. My main problem is somethings are still not within my control such as Internet. My younger brother essentially had a massive fight with my parents and my mother cut off the internet even though I need it for my own shit and to VPN to my work computer for whatever reason after hours. I thought about upgrading my cell data to unlimited but it won't let me hotspot my unlimited data to my PC or Laptop, it's capped when sharing.

Purchasing Internet isn't a problem, I need something that can be hidden from the family, especially my brother who abuses it. My parents don't really use the Internet so for them it's not an issue, they just want to curve my brothers usage but I got caught in collateral damage.
>>
just got a dual screen set-up, how do i get a taskbar for each side?
>>
File: paul allen.jpg (38KB, 600x399px) Image search: [Google]
paul allen.jpg
38KB, 600x399px
>>57878247
Sweet. Thanks anon.
>>
Math and technology are related right? Anyone knows about this?

>>>/wsr/232195
>>
Im looking for a tablet.

Im not looking for a strong one, but the resolution must be atleast 1280x720 and play 720p@60FPS.

All im going to use it for is youtube in my bed and read chinese comics.

What are some good options?
>>
>>57878338
You are looking for the /sci/ board some blocks down.

>>>/sci/
>>
>>57878288
Rightclick taskbar -> settings -> scroll all the way to bottom -> there should be something like "show taskbar on every display"
>>
>>57877917
try here
>>>/mu/prod
>>
windows 10 1067 update freezes on boot for me. If I hold shift while booting it'll bluescreen saying critical proc ess died and restart. After doing that a couple times it'll go to recovery and let me go to the last build but I'd really like for the update to take
What can I do?
>>
>>57878285
Don't let the DHCP(router usually) offer him an address, MACAddress filtering can do the trick easily.
>>
>>57878549
>windows 10 1067
I'm 10240, what are you doing?

Use a restore point before update installed
Clear update cache and make it re-download
Try again
>>
program to find and delete duplicate files on windows?
>>
Is there some kind of antimalware for Linux besides ClamAV (which is targeted at viruses)?

My install got compromised.
>>
>>57878575
don't have one
>>
Can the i5 6300 hq handle video editing and heavy music production?

Or will I need the i7 6700hq?
>>
File: spreadsheet.png (13KB, 1694x378px) Image search: [Google]
spreadsheet.png
13KB, 1694x378px
pls help with my stupid question, /g/.

Is there a formula or something I can use in excel that will populate a column in spreadsheet 1 with corresponding values from spreadsheet 2 on a row-by-row basis, as determined by the data from an adjacent column in both spreadsheets?

hope that makes sense and thanks.

[pic related]
>>
>>57878575
also, been broken for me since the anniversary update, I did what I did this time last time to just put it off, this time it force rebooted into failure again
>>
>>57878629
what ur Email, i'll send you a torrent for LTSB
>>
>>57878637
would I be able to keep all my installed programs? I have nothing to back up to and hundreds of gigabytes of things I'd have to redownload on a very slow connection
>>
My mouse wheel's fucked, page goes up when I try to scroll down.

Probably needs a cleaning, how do I go about that? It's a steelseries rival.
>>
>>57878552
Oh I did do this. It even got to the point that every PC and device minus phones were wired over power except for his and he had his MAC address blocked. He kept fucking hard rebooting the ISP modem to reset the login and he would unblock himself.

The Internet is completely cut which is why I need a provider without anyone knowing there is Internet.
>>
>>57878651
Good luck,
it isn't worth fixing such an old build.

start backing up.
>>
>>57878666
>>57878637
email is [email protected]
>>
>>57878663
>If i don't have internet, no one will
Someone needs spanking...

at this point, good luck.
>>
Just installed a soundcard in my PC, windows detects that its installed properly and the drivers are up to date, however when I plug the speakers into the soundcard, it does not detect them and instead plays sound through the monitor speaker... the speakers work fine with the audio panel that came origially installed on the tower though...

What gives?
>>
>>57878735
Playback devices->Disable everyone But new soundcard
>>
>>57878746
Thanks for the quick reply senpai, ill try it out
>>
What is the current go-to site for downloading W7? Is it still that German mirror with the Digital River isos or is there something better?
>>
>>57878816
Torrent or anything with a googleable SHA-1 checksum
>>
Will RAID 1 provide data security if one of the drives fails?
>>
i need free 50gb+ cloud storage. any solutions? storin a zip file
>>
>>57879139
only one
>>
>>57879214
So its not n-1 drives can fail where n is the number of drives in the setup?
>>
>>57879241
wtf no
>>
>>57879241
RAID0 of x3 ssds
3-1=Your RAID is gone
>>
>>57879281
Im asking about rAID1 where the data is duplicated on each drive
>>
>>57879352
in that case yes
>>
>>57877792
qbittorrent, the best for all OSs
>>
I'm starting to get more privacy-conscious, and I'm about to install my first Linux distribution (Ubuntu GNOME) in a dual-boot setup with Windows 10 (since I need muh gaymes). What are the pros and cons of the disk encryption option in Ubuntu's installer? Does it protect against remote or on-site snooping? How?
>>
>>57879361
Ok, thanks for the reply
>>
>>57876778
Any Raspberry Pi or clone thereof - they're a de facto standard, with many different SBCs being compatible with it's accessories.

If you want just a motherboard, though, you're SOL. Unless you don't think AMD64 counts.

>>57877158
That's fucking retarded.

>>57877370
You're fucked if you don't want to get an active adapter, as none of AMD's RX lineup have DVI-I.

Shit, even my monitor from the early 2000's is compatible with DVI-D, and unless you have a CRT that you want to hang on to, chances are it's time to upgrade.

Alright, one of my apps in Android doesn't work whenever I try to use it. Wat do?

I'm thinking about uninstalling it then reinstalling it, but will it delete my data?
>>
>>57879543
use a real distro. manjaro is user friendly and a lot less sketchy than canonical. on site because if it were remote, you're already sitting there with the data unencrypted since it is mounted. however, if someone got your laptop, they couldn't even pull the keys from your swap space if you used luks for both root and swap. easiest to do it with lvm plus that way you only have to type the pw once at boot instead of twice
>>
>>57880086
>manjaro is user friendly and a lot less sketchy than canonical
Funny - the other day, I was told not to use Manjaro because I'm new to Linux. The reasoning was that when Arch-based stuff breaks, you have to know what you're doing.

>that way you only have to type the pw once at boot instead of twice
What do you mean by this? Does one encryption option require me to type my computer password twice when I boot the distro?
>>
>>57877892
Not really, but they have their benefits.

You won't encounter any glaring software bugs for the most part, hardware will behave like it's supposed to, and you'll get longer support.

Honestly, if I had the cash, I'd get the Z5 Compact.

>>57877899
Java, JavaShit, the C's, and Python, and Ruby. The second and last if you want to be a faggot.

>>57878285
Just enable the access list on your router and add only you and your parents.

Otherwise, use a third-party tethering app, or buy a cheap factory phone like a Moto E or something and enable the hotspot.

What do you mean by your brother abuses the Internet? Do you mean he takes up all the bandwidth? You can just buy a new router or use another one as a bridge if that's the case.
>>
>>57878663
Why don't you just put the router in a document safe or strongbox and drill holes for the wires?
>>
ask me anything!
Bored af.
>>
I'm looking for a semi decent laptop for 500 bongs.

How is this one?
http://www.pcworld.co.uk/gbuk/computing/laptops/laptops/hp-15-ay168sa-15-6-laptop-with-latest-7th-gen-intel-core-i7-processor-silver-10151313-pdt.html

I'd like to play some games every now and then, but nothing major. Would mostly be for university shit.
>>
>>57880199
Do you really need 1TB storage?
An SSD would make your experience a lot better.
>>
>>57880199
Storage 1 TB HDD, 5400 rpm
>2016, not using SSD

Resolution 1366 x 768

Ethernet 10/100 Ethernet
>No gigabit lel

ur CPU is your GPU
Good luck with games
>>
>>57880241
I suppose not. I've got external hard drives.

>>57880247
Right.
But like I said the games thing isn't all that important. The most graphically intensive game I'd play is probably some shitty mmo to pass the time.

What specs should I be looking at when comparing computers?
>>
>>57880182
Can and will you answer my question here >>57880131 ?

If not, why?
>>
>>57880270
Gigabit Ethernet is a good place to start
(latest) i7 is always good
SSD instead of HDD ( replace yourself at worst )
Minimum: 8GiB RAM | Recommended: 16
Dedicated GPU will cost you ...so not that.
>>
>>57880285
rewirte the question, cant figure out which one it is
>>
File: Untitled.png (59KB, 769x531px) Image search: [Google]
Untitled.png
59KB, 769x531px
Why does Speccy show '2048mb' on my 6gb card?

Is this just an error with speccy or is there something wrong with my card?
>>
>>57880289
Awesome. Thanks buddy
>>
So I have a small chink amp (Breeze Audio with TPA3116) in the mail that I'm planning to use with my stereo bookshelf speakers. It has one set of RCA inputs, but I would like to be able to hook up multiple sources to it (rpi3 and a tv).

What kind of switch or adapter or cable or connector should I look for? What is the name for it?
>>
>>57880695
It's usually called a "switch" or a "selector"

Something like "Audio selector switch box RCA" should yield results.
>>
>>57876385
HOW DO I LEARN ANDROID. TYPING THIS FROM MY WORKPLACE.
>>
does running games at higher resolution ncrease VRAM consumption
>>
>>57880971
>VRAM consumption

yes
>>
>>57876385
In C, about stdio, does fopen(...) work on any filesystem?
>>
I need an autoclicker on Android that is easy to use and fast to pause and enable again. I'm rooted.
>>
>>57880998
ye
>>
File: DrawThisGraph.png (8KB, 1004x437px) Image search: [Google]
DrawThisGraph.png
8KB, 1004x437px
Can someone please explain to me what this means?

I get the Degree Sequence part, but IDK how to Draw K_5, 3 or K_7
I didn't see this anywhere in my textbook, and I can't find an example on Wikipedia or anything.

I just need to know what it means to draw something like that...
>>
What's the difference between the function and the implementation of a hardware device?
This question has come up on a mock exam and i have no fucking clue what it means
>>
Is there any perceivable difference between regular and slim HDMI cables?

I'm just concerned they might be more prone to interference or any other issues compared to denser cable sheaths. But my setup is pretty tight and more manoeuvrable cables would be extremely beneficial.
>>
I want to invest €300 into audio hardware

I have:
Shitty Logitech speakers
A cheap audiocard

Tempted to buy a cheap mixing panel (because its fun) or new speakers, what should i do? Should I even do anything at all or wait till I have more money to invest? (€300 is about my monthly expendable income)
>>
>>57881196
Anyone?

I just need to know what it means when it asks me to "Draw K[7] and K[5, 3]." I'd google it, but I don't even know what to look up
>>
>>57881232
You sure you got it right?wtf
>>57881247
you could always get another cable and try,
can't say ive seen a difference so far.

>>57881283
Get a pair of monitors (KRK ROKIT 6" for example)
>>
>>57878652

Please respond
>>
>>57881325
You could try unplugging it and spinning it really fast while blowing on it or blowing it out with an aircan.

That might work.

I'm not familiar with the series, though
>>
>>57878652
Ive tried to do that with my G500 and i never got it to make a difference, ended up buying a Zowie.
>>
when using an old version of a browser or other software is it safer to use a version so fucking old that nobody cares about vulnerabilities it had anymore?
>>
>>57881369
IT IS NOT SAFE
look @ XP, even connecting to the internet is dangerous.
>>
>>57881369
No.

People still care.
>>
>>57881369
those morons who don't update are the target 99% of the time.
>read patch / CVE notes on the issue
>writes an exploit for the poor souls who hasn't updated yet
>>
>>57881489
>read patch CVE notes on the issue from 10 years ago
do people do this
>>
>>57881369
not unless it seriously old
like, how much malware is still floating around for windows 3.1x?
>>
>>57881196
Does anyone at least know what K5,3 is??
And can they confirm whether or not K7 is a "Complete Graph"? I found that, at least, but IDK if it's right...
I can draw THAT if it is.
But what's K5,3??
>>
>>57881516
Name a browser that runs on 3.1
>>
File: phone.png (7KB, 256x331px) Image search: [Google]
phone.png
7KB, 256x331px
Are there any alternative mobile OSes to Android that I could flash to my HTC device? Or is everything just going to be a different version of Android at the end of the day?
>>
>>57881586
internet explorer (up to 5.0.1)
>>
>>57876528
Import? As in? Info? Programs?

Programs = Ninite
Info = back-up, then place it back

>>57877012
I thinj that that ship has sailed

>>57877258
Actually, you can. 80% of the time the save files are also located there, but sometimes you have to back-up documents as well

A good office activator? Well.. Look at what's seeded the most on piratebay.

>>57877792
To be honest I've tried multiple torrent clients, from utorrent (untill I couldn't take it anymore, constantly removing ads, dealing with bloatware etc.) to qtorrent and deluge. I ended up with Tixati, I like it the most and it had never let me down.

>>57877899
Heard python was a good option

>>57877917
Basically any "MIDI" keyboard you can find on the second hand market for cheap

>>57878194
Mostly, yes.. I guess it works by p2p, I wouldn't worry too much about it, but some countries are a bit more agressive then others, I know that holland is pretty lac about it.

>>57878195
Try opening port 22

>>57878357
There seems to be quite a few on the installgentoo wiki, something like Cube i9 or Xiaomi mi pad 2

>>57878601
Didn't Ccleaner had that option?

>>57878605
Best way to know for sure that someone can't mess with you is to reinstall, it's the only way to be sure, there are a few antivirusses that I know off, not so much anti malware. Heard it could very well be placebo.

>>57878614
I think you'll be more concerned with ram or the graphics card for video editing

Had a friend in music production, saw the ram usage, maybe shift priorities?

>>57878652
Had that happen with my razer deathadder 3,5g, ended up getting the steelseries rival, hope it won't happen to this one

>>57878816
What are you talking about?
My go to would've been the pirate bay with most seeders, check comments.
>>
if i have a pirated version of a game, but then get a legitimate version from steam, is it just a simple matter of copying the save file to the new location, or will the save game on the pirated copy not work on legit copy?

Game is Tomb Raider 2013.
>>
>>57879543
Disk encryption will only work when it's the only distro on the hard drive (it won't let you dual-boot on one drive).

As for a pros:

security (only when you fully shut down)

Cons:

someone could still do a "evil maid attack" and trick you into entering your encryption key in the infected decrypter boot section

You have to enter the key everytime you boot up

You have to fully shut-down everytime you go and take a piss to be sure no one could go after your files

----
Does it protect against remote snooping?
Depends on what you're using
On-site snooping?
Well.. No.. Always use https, if paranoid a good vpn paid with bitcoins that respects privacy
----
I would also suggest trying out ubuntu mate, that distro has been the most friendly towards me and I sticked around it, I heard linux mint is also very friendly (enable the dark theme, you'll love it)

>>57881247
It would've be the case with analog plugs, but not really, it's all digital with bits, 0's and 1's. Now for interference.. Well.. I don't think your cable it long enough to worry about that

>>57881283
300 into audio harware?
Hmm, yes, alright. The first things you'll want to look for is a good headphone, then a decent DAC (Digital to Analog Converter). If you can, get the fiio e10(k?)

Also, that 300 montly income will be spend on other things like snacks, food and doodads, save up!

>>57881369
Don't!

>>57881617
Unfortionally, yes

>>57881726
It will mostly work, unless the pirated game is using a different format or a compressed file system for saving space or a way around drm.

Mostly.. It had saved the save files to 3 locations

1: documents , either a own folder or in "Games"
2: appdata
3: install folder
Bonus: I had this with only 1 game, the steam app folder itself in a weird numbered folder
>>
File: share_steam_logo.png (21KB, 512x512px) Image search: [Google]
share_steam_logo.png
21KB, 512x512px
Can you change your Steam account name (not the nickname) somehow?

I've just been going through some accounts and it has dawned on me that that name is the only remaining link between myself and an agonizing history of edgy forum posts made by my 13 year old past self.
>>
>>57881829
No you can't, I'm still cringing everytime I log in manually.

Pro tip, when using japanese characters in the nick name some games won't show your name in multiplayer, like call of duty modern warfare 3

That's all the help I can offer
>>
Sometimes when I turn on my PC or wake it up from sleep the GPU fans rev all the way up to 100%. I can make it stop simply by putting it to sleep and turning it on again, and they work normally when the PC is on. This has happened maybe three or four times since I built the PC about 10 months ago. Card is a Sapphire R9 380X, drivers up to date, and the only software I have that's related to GPU fan control is MSI Afterburner.

What could be the cause of this?
>inb4 >AMD
>>
File: 1424528272498.png (24KB, 203x200px) Image search: [Google]
1424528272498.png
24KB, 203x200px
Alright /g/ I just want a cut and dry distro to replace my win10 install on my laptop. I don't want to spend all day configuring shit just to get it working. All I use my laptop for is browsing and oldschool rs so I just want something that werks. Years ago I tried Mint, Ubuntu, Xubuntu and openSUSE but it seems like there's only even more drama and bullshit surrounding Linux since I last fucked around with it. Don't care if it's pleb tier or normie as fuck as long as it's not going to spy on me.
>>
>>57881829
>>57881856
I feel you.

I've had this a couple of months ago and been googling around and there seems to be really no way (right now at least, but it doesn't seem to be a high priority item on Valve's todo list).

I have already deleted my battle.net account because of this (I wasted the one rename you have on fixing a typo in my cringe name lol), I had like almost $100 worth of games (mainly SC2 + all expansions and Diablo 3) on there, but my OCD got the best of me.

The situation with Steam is a little better since no one will see your account name other than yourself (or your friends if they're physically nearby). You can change the public name any time.

To be absolutely 100% safe there is only one way:
1. Wait for the Christmas sale
2. Note all your favorite games (realistically I don't play 95% of the stuff in my library anyway)
3. Create a new account and buy those games on sale

You can also use a steam skin which doesn't show your account name so you'll be safe even from your friends.
>>
>>57878194
I thought the safe versions of popcorn time got quashed and the only remaining ones are shady chink/ruskie versions that run shady stuff to generate revenue for themselves.
>>
>>57881906
bls resbond
>>
>>57881906
Try reinstalking the drivers?
Try installing a previous driver?

I'm pretty sure you've already tried this

>>57881931
Ubuntu mate? It worked for me

>>57882034
Hold your horses, look up
>>
>>57882040
>Try reinstalking the drivers?
>Try installing a previous driver?
The previous times it happened were relatively long ago so the drivers were older ones, I'm not sure that would do anything

I'm more curious about why it's happening than how to make it stop desu
>>
>>57881931
So you're against running those distros that you mentioned? I recently switched from windows to Xubuntu 16.04 and it works just fine. What I've heard there were a lot of problems in linux just 3-4 years back that I haven't even seen on my machine.
>>
File: linux_Solus_1481081304742.png (133KB, 750x623px) Image search: [Google]
linux_Solus_1481081304742.png
133KB, 750x623px
>>57881931
> Mint, Ubuntu, Xubuntu

Give them another try. Today is not three years ago. Yeah, there's drama, but there's also been some positive improvements.

Also, it's trivial today to install to a live USB and try each one for a few hours or a few days and decide if the drama is still too much.

One successor to #! is https://www.bunsenlabs.org/

Look into it for a cut & dry distro.

> install kevin

It's a fun meme that's getting shit on around here, but Solus does have a number of good things going for it. If any of the above don't sound like your thing, it's a well-configured option, even if you might have to invest a little bit of time in it ... which you will have to do with any distro, no matter how cut & dry..
>>
>>57881652
firefox settings, savegames, basically everything. Especially since I have a seperate drive that hosts the vast majority of my programs so I want to make sure the new install recognises everything that's still there.
>>
>>57882202
mozbackup (dot) jasnapaka (dot) c o m

Savegames are located at documents and steamapps (mostly), check for each game, there are some utilities that can do it for you

As for progams.. I'm sorry for you. Probally not. Look online, some you could transfer.

Look for a tool called ninite to make the transfer less of a pain
>>
>>57882080
>>57882128
>>57882040
Ah no I understand how I was unclear, I'm not against any of those distros I was just mentioning them in case any of them were actually meme garbage

Probably going to go either Mint Cinnamon or Ubuntu. Thanks /g/
>>
Is there an Android app to rip all pictures/webm's from a Tumblr blog?
>>
>>57882128
>Solus does have a number of good things going for it.
It comes with a goddamn truckload of buzzwords
>>
>>57876385
How do I make Firefox suck less? I have to use it because I need to have an internet history, but I need to keep it off the Google cloud.
>>
>copy things to external hard drive and then to other drive (same filesystems)
>get hash mismatches on a few files

>copy things to a different computer via network
>get hash mismatches on a few files

What can be causing this? Which component (hardware) can be culprit? Only a small percentage of files gets "corrupted". Maybe 20 out of 4000.
>>
How do I change the default nickname mIRC
>>
Is there a speed difference between ethernet cable and WiFi adapter? I don't want to bother with a cable, also what is a good WiFi adapter?
>>
It looks like my GPU is slowly dying. No artifacting yet but I'm experiencing some serious frame drops that are propably caused by overheating (fans are on 100%). Also: now and again I get no signal on my monitor. Rebooting helps for now.

It's 290X by Sapphire, bought at Amazon UK exactly one year, 10 months and 1 day ago. That means I still have two months of warranty. Should I try reapplyig thermal paste or should I just RMA it?

Thanks
>>
>>57877757
>>57877763
https://rizonrice.github.io/resources
screenfetch -t
>>57881931
Ubuntu Mate
>>57882571
Icecat
>>
>>57881320
You sure you got it right?wtf
That's literally the question and I have no idea what they want.
>>
I have a Yoga 3 Pro laptop. I want to try out MacOS. Is it possible to install it on this?
>>
>>57882718
It's a setting for each server.
But im sure theres a global setting too.

>>57883043
This all depends on what you want to do.
Cable will always be faster, but maybe it doesn't matter since you have shit net?

>>57882580
>Which component (hardware) can be culprit?
It can be any type of storage: RAM or HDD/SSD.
It could also be a software issue, transfer protocol or filesystem for example.

>>57883143
What kind of exam?
About OSes?
>>
>>57883102
Try reapplying the thermal paste, yeah.
>>
>>57883180
macOS on non-supported hardware is called "hackintosh".
Do some googling, there are many tutorial 'round.

First hit in google: http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/304973-new-macbook-yoga-3-pro-hackintosh/
>>
Is it possible to implement Genetic Algorithms in C (even the most simple one)? I'm new to programming and I've been reading about them and how to implement them in programs, and they don't seem really complicated, but every tutorial I've read uses either Java or C++. Are they at all possible in C, or is it just for Object-Oriented Languages?
>>
>>57881931
q4os
>>
File: img0.jpg (628KB, 1920x1200px) Image search: [Google]
img0.jpg
628KB, 1920x1200px
Which OS has the comfiest default wallpaper and why is it W7?
>>
Ublock doesn't block those Youtubes own tiny little channel/video ads that sometimes pop in the left corner. Never saw them when using Adblock. How do i get rid of them?

Second question. I have AdAway on my phone but it doesn't block ads in the Youtube app. Is there alternative Youtube app in Play store that i could use or some other way to block 'em?
>>
When linux weebs post pictures of their wallpapers there's always a picture of an anime girl on the desktop, what's that, a slide show of pictures or just a static picture?
>>
>>57883375
You need xposed and youtube adaway if you want to block ads in the app

If that's too much work you can just uninstall the app and watch using the browser since it will block it there.
>>
>>57883401
I'll give those apps a shot. Thanks
>>
If i unroot my phone from the option in the SuperSU settings: will all my files be deleted? Or will the phone be the same?
>>
I need software to set multiple alarms that repeat, every thirty minutes or so.
Windows.

It's for farm runs for runescape.
Please no bully.
>>
>>57876385
I have a deal for a sapphire r9 280x for 60 dollaroos. Should I bite the bullet? Im on a 5750 and the most intensive thing i play is arma 3
>>
>>57877260
Thinking in java, although it's a brick
>>
>>57883574
http://indecentcode.com/farmclock/
>>
>>57883186
>But im sure theres a global setting too.

Found it.

I am apparently unable to see date and time of users posting. Is there a setting to turn it on/off?
>>
In floating point binary representation, what does
...x-3,x-2,x-1,x0,x1,x2,x3... mean?
don't think this has come up in any of the material I've been reading and I have no clue what it means.
>>
>>57883186
>What kind of exam?
Nah, just general computer architecture. The exact wording of the question is:
Describe the function and the implementation of a piece of hardware
>>
Is there anything like the falcon's guide still around but updated? Haven't had to look at any build guides in a few years but I've got a friend who wants to build and rather than linking him a bunch of parts I'd rather just send him something like that.
>>
>>57883977
Thanks
>>
>>57883251
Of course you do it in C. Instead of classes use structs, instead of methods use functions with pointers to said structs.

Badly written OOP is worse than no OOP at all.
>>
>>57884029
That's a completely different question...

Still a very open question though.
Is he/she asking about device drivers perhaps?

>>57883988
press Alt+O and go to Options > IRC > Messages
>>
>>57884045
Something like this? http://www.logicalincrements.com/
>>
/g/, what can I use to clone a hard drive while preserving partitions and shit? I have a brand new M.2 NVMe drive and Windows 7 can detect it just fine, but when I actually boot from a USB, it can't find the drive. I slipstreamed in the hotfix that lets Windows read NVMe drives but it didn't work. I've temporarily installed onto a 1TB HDD so I figure there's probably some way to just clone this onto the other drive right?
>>
>>57884113
I have no idea. That's all the question asks, no more information than that.
>>
>>57884135
>>57884113
And actually I got the question wrong.
The actual question is:
Describe the difference between the function and the implementation of a piece of hardware.
My bad.
>>
Let's say I have a video of 150MB on OneDrive.
Let's also say that I want to upload this video to YouTube, Facebook or anywhere else.
Let's also assume my upload speed is so low that this would take nearly 6 hours.

Is it possible to somehow upload the video to said social media directly from OneDrive servers without involving my own home network? Using a link? Redirecting the request to OneDrive somehow? Anything?
I have limited insight in this sort of stuff.
>>
>>57884149
So what he means is to differentiate the function of hardware from its implementation?
>>
>>57884149
Function:
What the piece of hardware does, its use-case.

Implementation:

This can mean two things for me:

- Implementing the idea:
+ "We need a chip that converts digital sound to analog sound"
= Creating or "designing" hardware.
- Implementing the hardware withing a system
+ Writing device drivers and firmware
= Making software that makes the device work, and work with the rest of the system.

>>57884161
This depends on the platforms...
I believe you can deploy from Google Drive to YouTube.
For the others it probably all depend on the platforms.
But once its on youtube you can share it everywhere right?
>>
How can I reduce the space on my phone's internal storage? It's at 90% right now and after going through every readable folder, I can't see where all this space is being taken.
>>
File: 1453777256965.jpg (33KB, 320x320px) Image search: [Google]
1453777256965.jpg
33KB, 320x320px
I'm starting my CS course next year (if I get accepted) and I'm thinking about which laptop should I get for classes.

I want to buy an old Thinkpad, but I'm not sure if the hardware will suit my needs. Still, I really like the keyboard.

Another problem with old Thinkpads: their battery is usually shitty, and finding a new one in my country is probably impossible. Importing is also not an option, as I would have to pay heavy taxes.

What should I do, /g/?
>>
>>57884311
Battery can be important but it really depends on the infrastructure.
My college had power plugs everywhere (1 or 2 for every desk in classrooms) so many students always plugged in their laptop.

They might give you system requirements for the CS course, I don't see a reason why you would need a powerful machine.
Maybe if you use many VM's, but many places use cloud nowadays and you can basically follow the course on a chromebook.
>>
File: gps.png (427KB, 1113x993px) Image search: [Google]
gps.png
427KB, 1113x993px
I've been relying on handwritten directions from google, as well as my memory for all of these years.
I recently drove a rental that had a GPS and now I want to buy a vehicular tracking device.

Can somebody explain to me how these work? What I mean by that is, is there a specific brand I should look for or avoid, do I have to pay a rolling subscription free, etc

Ideally, I'd like to buy one and then never have to replace it
>>
>>57884393
They probably have the infrastructure, but I'm unsure if there are sufficient power plugs.

My uni offers computers, so owning a laptop is purely optional, therefore system requirements are unexistent. It's just that I want to be able to configure the system as I like; I hate to work with standard-setup machines.

What about the new Thinkpad? Worth the price?
>>
Can cooler master silencio keep my 1080 cool when playing new games or am i fucked?
>>
how do i make a windows usb boot drive for my recently built pc?

once i make the boot drive, how do i install it? what do i do after that?
>>
>spend 30 minutes helping client over Teamviewer
>drive 30 minutes to his place to install paid antivirus and remove the shitty ones he had
>ask for 13€ as payment (besies the 47€ the antivirus costed)
am i asking for too little as an independent IT guy? i dont get much calls so i try to work my ass off for the few clients i have
should i ask for more money?
>>
What can't I do with 500GB @ 1Gbps?
>>
>>57884415
I assume you don't have a smartphone?

Garmin, Magellan and TomTom are reputable brands.
The most important thing to look into is the possibility and cost of map updates.

>>57884469
>What about the new Thinkpad
Which one? They release multiple models every year.
ThinkPad is a good brand but the latest models have some privacy/security concerns (its a tad tinfoil though).
The X1 carbon is a good laptop.

>>57884472
Do you have 2 front fans and 1 rear fan?

>>57884525
You typically make those USBs using an ISO file.
I recommend either rufus or microsoft's own "USB/DVD Download Tool".

>>57884537
Depends on your country.
13 euro per hour is very low for my country.
You could set a minimum "incident fee" and a transportation cost.

I don't freelance anymore but I used a different payment model when I was.
I worked for small businesses and asked them to pay me a monthly fee for "operations".
Then I only charged for stuff like new development or new installations.
Using that model, since I got paid the same every month anyway, I was rewarded with free time the better the uptime of their systems.
At the same time, they weren't asked to email me if they had any problems.
>>
>>57884525
uefi and a usb with a gpt partition no longer needs to be bootable, just create a fat32 partition and copy your files onto it.
>>
>>57884469
would highly recommend against getting a new thinkpad, the cost is not worth it - in just 3 years you can get the same thing for a fraction of the price

>yeah, but that is three years from now anon!

I know. What you can do for now is what I did, get a T430. The jump from the 2nd gen mobile i5 to the 3rd gen m i5 was very noticeable, and the iGPU performance is definitely worth it. I wouldn't buy a T420 at this point to be honest.

The only downside to the T430 is the batteries need to be official (not 3rd party), unless you do a BIOS mod.
Think about it like this, in 3 or 4 years you can get a T460 for very cheap. The T450 is already in the $400 to $500 range. In 3 years? Probably will be the same price as the T420 is right now.

also I am not solely speaking out my ass, I bought an x220 and fooled around with it for a bit. The performance in the __30 series really is better, even if just barely. But that tiny little bit of better makes it worth it, as you can delay upgrading. To be honest, I think you could even get buy on a __20 model but I personally liked the way the t430 could handle anything I threw at it.
>>
>>57884129
I don't think this will solve anything.
>>
>>57884525
>how do i windows usb boot drive
YUMI, rufus, WinSetupFromUSB ..
>install it
with the USB connected, restart ur PC and press (or spam) F12 to choose boot drive when you turn on ur PC (in the bios splash screen or status letters)
you can also press delete to choose to change the settings in bios to make booting from bootable USB preffered over Hdd
>>
>>57884580
I have the 2 stock fans. Bought the case while drunk and now i'm not sure that the case doesn't turn into a heater.
>>
>>57884580
Oh, sorry. It was supposed to be plural. I was thinking about the T460.

>>57884585
I almost bought an x220. I'll think about getting a T430, thanks.
>>
>>57884594
Why wouldn't it? The only problem is I can't get Windows onto the drive. The drive is detected inside Windows and my motherboard can see it just fine. If I can figure out a way to get a working install onto the damn thing and make it bootable, I won't have any problems. If there is some software out there that will let me replicate the EFI and MSR partitions, that would probably work.
>>
with an amd 4100 and a 660ti and 2x4gb of ram, how limited are my gaming options?

also, why would someone go with 4x4gb rather than 2x8gb?
>>
Is there a way to block calls from voip numbers on an android phone?
>>
>>57884580
>13€/hour is low
>incient fee/transport cost
thanks, ill keep that in mind.
here in Spain people from 20-40 age group are very jewish with their money. doesnt help that i have low confidence. on the other hand old people sometimes pay me more than what i ask wich is nice
>>57884680
8GB is plenty for 99% of games, specially if you are limited by CPU or GPU like you are
>how limited are my gaming options?
depens on what you wanna play. just check requirements of games
by amd 4100 do you mean fx-4100? for gods sake at least get FX-6300.
if you want to upgrade you should get a FX-8320 or higher desu and then think about graphics card
>>
>>57884642
I don't think it will be that bad.
Looks like a very classic design to me.

>>57884677
I think it will be a pain because NVMe is a lot newer than Win7.
If the hotfix didn't work in the installer, why would the OS without any drivers work?
Either way, copying an entire drive like that requires identical sizes so I think you're stuck with trying to make the installer work.
Try 3.0 if you where using 2.0 and vice-versa.
Check this guide: http://forum.notebookreview.com/threads/guide-installing-windows-7-on-an-nvme-ssd-from-a-usb-3-0-thumbdrive.783921/
>>
>>57884776

the 4100 was free, along with the gpu and most of the other internals. putting it together was just a trial run before i put together the build ive been accumulating
>>
How safe is the KMSpico activator on MyDigitalLife Forums?
>>
>>57877012
fuggedaboutit

>>57877258
>office activator
ms toolkit from mydigitallife

>>57877260
http://web.cs.iastate.edu/~cs227/
Use the horstman text

>>57877899
Java, C, C++

>>57878155
There should be a place in your routers settings to setup port forwarding. If there's not, see if your router is DD-WRT capable

>>57878285
MAC filter your brother, change the password, setup QoS controls are all ways to accomplish your goal. If your router doesn't have the option you're looking for, see if its DD-WRT capable.
Don't forget to change the router admin password too! I personally would use QoS controls.

>>57879139
Yes. but please remember, RAID IS NOT A BACKUP!!!!!!!!!!

>>57879543
I suggest Ubuntu MATE or Mint Cinnamon for first distros as well.
pros: someone with physical access to your machine can't modify your system/files if the machine is off (like with windows you can boot a linux distro and mess with stuff) - they can however erase everything.
cons: you must enter a password each time you startup the machine
I would just use an encrypted home directory
>>
>>57884827
I think I figured it out, thanks anyway. I had added the NVMe hotfix into the install.wim but I didn't put it into boot.wim, and I guess the preinstall environment uses that. Time to try this shit again.
>>
>>57884892
safe
>>
>>57877892

Get the Sony ZX if you can. Havent regretted it one bit
>>
File: saber.jpg (143KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
saber.jpg
143KB, 1920x1080px
from last thread:

I rent an office and have a few devices on a lan there. How do I set things up so I can access the office lan from my house?
I think a vpn with a dynamic dns, but I'm not sure how to set everything up. Routers in both locations are running DD-WRT btw.
>>
Sorry if this might be more of a college question than tech.

But I abandoned my Computer Science degree years ago and I want to aim for a Bachelor degree this time. Should I just learn everything fresh again?
>>
>>57884856
great, but its called FX-4100.
and its the main bottleneck imo
the PC can probably run a decent number of games, specially from the late 2000's
modern AAA games usually ask for a FX-6300 or FX-8320 as the minimum tho
>>
>>57884214
Yeah I guess so.
>>
>>57884827
>i don't think it will be that bad

Yeah. I might be a bit paranoid as all the reviews said that the case has cooling problems and my last pc broke because both the gpu and mobo overheated
>>
File: 1.jpg (88KB, 800x600px) Image search: [Google]
1.jpg
88KB, 800x600px
Is it possible to break the lightning port on an iPhone?

My friend's daughter broke hers somehow right at the time the new model came out and it's suspicious because she's the type to do that. My question is that is it possible? The port itself and phone are fine. It's not physically damaged as if you were to just pull it down and crack the phone. So... Is it just the pins on the inside? I've looked at the port and it seems designed for retards.

My S7 is possible to break because the little micro usb thing can be ripped off, but even that's impossible without ripping off the whole thing.
>>
File: debtisafiction.jpg (216KB, 1100x825px) Image search: [Google]
debtisafiction.jpg
216KB, 1100x825px
I've been planning on a new rig to start anew for some time now. I will use it for CPU-heavy tasks (PS, Premiere, DAWs, a bit of 3D), vidya, mapping...

Present:
>Some Seagate 2,5To HDD
>Some chinese radstock
>Antec Neopower - 550W
>NVIDIA GeForce GT 240
>Intel Core 2 Duo E8200
>Generic DDR3 2x2 Go @ 533 MHz
>Intel Corporation DP45SG
>Win7 64-bit
>Iiyama 22" (1980x1080)

New:
>Some Seagate 2,5To HDD
>Crucial MX300 1 To
>Noctua NH-U14S
>Corsair RM650x Modular - 650W
>Sapphire RX480 Nitro+ 4Go
>Intel Core i7 4790K
>HyperX FURY BLACK DDR3 8x2 Go @ 1600 MHz CAS 10
>Asus Z97-P
>Win7 64-bit
>AOC Q2781PQ 27" (2560x1440)

for ~1415 EUR (~1522 USD)

My question being, what would you do differently and why?
>inb4 go Nvidia
>>
Is it possible to damage my speakers by playing exceptionally loud music on them? Yamaha hs8
>>
Windows 8 piracy?
Or how pedantic is ms about single use licence?
>>
I just saw logical increments' video in how to buid a PC in 4 minutes, and the dude said "put a drop of thermal paste on the CPU", then proceesed to take a massive shit on it. I kid you not he used like 10 tubes if paste.

I don't know how to deal with the PTSD.
>>
how do i unfuck this error?

'"\java"' is not recognized as an internal or external command,
operable program or batch file.

i have the a directory for java in my path variable, but the program i'm trying to run is trying to access "\java"
>>
I dual-boot Solus on my PC but somehow I cant make a WiFi hotspot with the intergrated software. I have a cheap TP-Link USB wifi reciver and I can make a hotspot from ethernet in windows 10.

Any idea how to do that in Solus?
>>
Why does a core2quad have more l2 cache rhan a i5 6600k
>>
>>57885171
Yes, with amps strong enough you can easily overdrive your speakers.
>>
>>57883396
usually a static picture, however your can set your desktop env to change wallpapers every X minutes or if you use a window manager you can set up a cron script to change your wallpaper.
>>
>>57880460
check it with GPU-Z or any software designed for GPU information.
>>
>>57885397
exactly the same way you do it on debian, gentoo, arch, opensuse or any gahnoo slash loonix distro: install hostapd and configure it. There are plenty of manuals on the internet. Distros can be a bit different but under the hood there are the same software, than need to be configured the same way.

If you cannot get over this "I need a solution for MUH DISTRO", then please fuck off back to windows. for your own good.
>>
I can't decide between a 120g ssd or a 1 tb hdd upgrade. Are ssds really that great?
>>
>>57882482
No such thing?
>>
>>57885580
If you don't hoard a lot of data, get an SSD. HDDs are dirt cheap, you can buy a 1TB HDD next month.
>>
My RAM is stuck in 399MHz, it says the maximum is 800MHz, but it never gets there.
What do i do?
>>
>>57885580
You should really have an SSD as your bootdrive in 2016.
>>
Is there a decent email provider with a decent android app that allows you to receive push notification on android without having Play services enabled?
>>
>>57885554

Jeez man cool it. I use Solus because I like it and I need a legal OS do do my work on. I do not know much about Linux so I asked here.
>>
>have 3 laptops (2 with missing keyboard or battery)
>have 3 desktops
how do sell for good price? preferably to rich oldfags
>>
Best windows util for copying large amounts of files without shitting itself over the smallest thing and waiting for your direct input, like explorer does every fucking time?

I remember trying a portable Teracopy a while back but it kept shitting itself.
>>
>>57885890
robocopy.
it ships with windows already.
>>
Anyone know how I can convert a .webm to a normal video on android? For some reason I can't send webms through texting or messenger but regular videos from camera can be sent.
>>
>>57885900
danke
>>
>>57885628
Are there any specific SSDs that /g/ recommends? Samsung or anything?
>>
File: 1386301708991.png (194KB, 324x467px) Image search: [Google]
1386301708991.png
194KB, 324x467px
>>57876659
Someone answer my question please
>>
My pc just died. The lights turn on, but no fans spin. My psu, hdd and disc drive seems to be working. I think my motherboard is broken. No output to the monitor and mouse doesn't turn on. Any help would be appreciated. Don't want to waste money on a new motherboard.
>>
I have a legal Office 2007. Is there a way to upgrade to 2010 for free without pirating?
>>
File: 1417714177420.jpg (76KB, 532x766px) Image search: [Google]
1417714177420.jpg
76KB, 532x766px
I have several audio files in wav/mp3 format.
Which isn't in the same volume.
How do I equalize the volume to the same level?
>>
>>57885619
No one?
>>
>>57886087
Look up replaygain
>>
>>57876385
Is there a way to back up a digital ocean droplet and turn the backup into a virtual machine?
>>
>>57886124
>>57885619
DDR means double data rate. 400*2 = 800
>>
Best pair of bookshelf speakers at 200usd?
Also
Best center speaker for 100?
>>
[Win10] Can I share folders on my PC so other people can only access their own specific folder without having extra accounts on my PC?

Seems it's either freeforall no password, or literally creating an account for every user. having a separate machine would be great, but not possible right now.
Thanks for any info!
>>
>>57886194
Why would you get a center speaker? The wave lengths from stereo speakers combine to give the illusion of depth
>>
>>57886084
>
Anyone?
>>
File: Capture.png (10KB, 313x269px) Image search: [Google]
Capture.png
10KB, 313x269px
>>57886084
>>57886304
No... Why would it matter? You can't even upgrade to Sublime Text 3 from 2 without re-paying. Different software, but you get the idea.

If you're still using 2007, you should have upgraded long ago. 2010 isn't much of a jump, honestly. Unless you're still on Windows 7 or something. I'd suggest 2013 and up. 2013 is well enough compared to 2016 and MUUUUUUUUUUUUCH better than 2007 or even 2010. I'd recommend it just for Outlook alone.

Just don't fall for the Office 365 scam. It's literally just 2016 with updates enabled.
>>
>>57886275
in LAN its pretty easy or at least it was in WinXP & Win7
in Win10 im not sure but you can google it yourself champ
if its not in LAN you can setup a FTP server very easily.
>>
>>57886151
>replaygain
Thanks, but the issue is the DAP I use doesn't support it.
Is there a way to normalize the volume?
Does the equalize option in audacity do something like this?
>>
 for i = 1, 50 do
print("otis",i)
if i = 50 then
print("ok")
end
end

am i good coder
>>
i've lost my stallman pics
someone give?
>>
File: 1431780499829.jpg (138KB, 900x675px) Image search: [Google]
1431780499829.jpg
138KB, 900x675px
>>57886567
>>
File: 1452560630318.jpg (78KB, 600x450px) Image search: [Google]
1452560630318.jpg
78KB, 600x450px
>>57886567
>>
Are there any phone programs that act like ShareX that allow me to upload to my sftp while copying the URL for where ever its being uploaded too?
>>
Last night I asked for suggestions for a program to help me rip/download a whole set of fourms that is going offline soon, and I was suggested HTTrack.

So, I adjuisted the settings to the best of my understanding and had that running overnight, and it's still going 14 hours later now with 5gb downloaded and still going

Looking at what it downloaded, it looks like it mostly worked, with a few issues:

1. It downloaded a bunch of junk files and resources I don't need that's inflating the file size
2. For any thread or fourm section where there are multiple pages, I can't click the buttons to get to page 2, 3, etc from the downloaded index.hmtl file

Can anybody tell me what the settings need to be for those to be fixed? The fourm in question is http://monsterarchives.proboards.com/
>>
File: netlimiter-8.jpg (22KB, 300x331px) Image search: [Google]
netlimiter-8.jpg
22KB, 300x331px
Are there good alternatives to NetLimiter that, possibly, do not require installing its driver?
The only thing I need from it is to toggle bandwidth limits on different programs.
>>
All right.

Just did a new build. Runs and boots fine. The problem is that both mechanical hard drives are recognized by the BIOS and device manager, but NOT disk management or My Computer.

I'm using:
525GB SSD, recognized fine
4TB HD, unrecognized (split into 2 partitions due to old motherboard not supporting UEFI)
1TB factory HD, unrecognized

Can you guys give a recommendation? I am fine with wiping all drives and reformatting. I just want to use the SSD as the primary with the other two mechanical drives for storage.
>>
File: 1480628420536.jpg (28KB, 580x346px) Image search: [Google]
1480628420536.jpg
28KB, 580x346px
>>57886567
>>
>>57886723
To add, this seems to be fucking up my pirated Windows 7. Whenever I try to use Daz's Loader I get "unsupported partition table."
>>
>>57876528
LiveCD of clonezilla imo
>>
>>57886723
>split into 2 partitions due to old motherboard not supporting UEFI
you don't need a UEFI machine to make and use a 4TB partition
>Whenever I try to use Daz's Loader I get "unsupported partition table."
afaik daz loader doesn't work on uefi machines, try removewat

ensure you have the chipset/ahci drivers for the new mobo installed
did you remember to run sysprep before changing mobo?
>>
why do you have to have 10,000 years of experience in a million different skills to qualify for job? are we oversaturated with devs?
>>
>>57886884
I've never run sysprep. Will that get rid of this issue? I built an identical machine for my wife, the only difference being that she has the SSD plus the 1TB HD, but not the 4TB, and Daz worked fine.
>>
https://www.amazon.co.uk/d/ndp/HP-14-am025na-Laptop-Turbo-silver-i3-5005U-Graphics/B01H9UVWZK

For a poor uni student, is this my best bet?
>>
>>57886921
normally you'd run sysprep before making large hardware changes (generally used when making a common system to clone onto muliple different machines in a business setting, but works just as well for a home user moving their system to a new machine)
if you can run sysprep, there's no harm in trying it (select "generalize" and "reboot")
>Daz worked fine.
on a UEFI machine in UEFI mode? alright, ignore that, then
i've only heard things, i don't use daz loader, or windows, or a uefi machine (but i do use GPT disks)
>>
>>57886984
>but i do use GPT disks
this actually ade me remember something:
iirc windows only support gpt lables on UEFI machines so >>57886723 s Disks might have msdos labels
>>
>>57886984
I figure I can unplug the two mechanical drives, reinstall Windows onto the SSD, then send if the Loader works. My main issue is the OS not recognizing the hard drives. Don't know what the problem is. Know of any decent utilities that can recognize a drive, and force the OS to recognize it? I've read I should try changing drive letters and I wish it were that simple, but like I said disk management will not recognize these drives, nor will Windows. Only able to see them in the BIOS and in device manager.
>>
>>57886984
-- oh, and don't worry when after running sysprep, windows appears to be completing installation
that's what it does, it removes machine-specific information (generalizes), so when you boot up again, it does what setup does at the end again (specializes), to the new hardware
you will not lose any personal information (programs, settings, users, etc)

>>57887035
from what i understand, windows won't /boot/ from a gpt disk without a uefi machine, but can use non-boot gpt disks on any machine
i don't know enough about uefi to say if you can boot from an msdos disk in uefi mode (don't see why not)
>>
File: Importantq uestion.png (44KB, 1152x648px) Image search: [Google]
Importantq uestion.png
44KB, 1152x648px
Is this how Network Switches work??

So I don't have to drag two long ass ethernet cables from the router to get internet on my two computers?
>>
>>57887065
yep
>>
>>57887065
yes, or you could use those antennas on the router to send wifi to the computers
>>
>>57887058
>windows won't /boot/ from a gpt disk without a uefi machine
oh, should add that you can do this if you use a suitably modified protective mbr on a gpt disk
though the boot partition must still conform to msdos limitations (can only define 4 partitions, and can't include any space beyond 2TiB)
>>
>>57887058
after reading something about that i am 99% sure that windows won't boot from a MBR disk if the PC is booted in UEFI mode. I am unsure wether you can use MBR disks in UEFI mode if you booted from a gpt disk or not.
>>
>>57886491
LAN, and I've googled. Maybe I'm just not using the correct terms
>>
>>57887167
>I am unsure wether you can use MBR disks in UEFI mode if you booted from a gpt disk or not.
yes, you can, i know that much
>>
>>57886275
pretty sure you need to make windows accounts for that
or use another kind of file server which supports virtual users
>>
>>57876778
My non-x86 experience is primarily in ARM and MIPS which are usually used for embedded applications. So they tend to be in form factors smaller than ITX.

I don't know about other architectures, power PC is dead but I'm pretty sure it followed the rules of ATX, mATX etc. I don't if Sparc is still around... and cell was only used in first gen PS3's to my knowledge.

Did you have an architecture in mind? Are you trying to get away from x86 for any reason in particular?
>>
File: images.duckduckgo.com (179).jpg (33KB, 800x750px) Image search: [Google]
images.duckduckgo.com (179).jpg
33KB, 800x750px
>>57887096
>>57887104

Fucking sweet my dudes!
>>
Is it worth to migrate from Chrome to Firefox?

What features am I missing? I like that Chrome keeps all my settings & bookmarks synced with my Google account. Can Firefox do similar?
>>
when i try to boot my PC i get 1 long beep & 3 short beeps followed by a last short beep after a pause.
ASUS M5A97 motherboard.
just paid 25€ to fix this today but it keeps HAPPENING
>>
I'm installing Arch on virtualbox (practice before I install it on real hw), I installed base on a gpt partition and now I need to install GRUB, wiki says that I should create a 1M partition using fdisk, I'm dumb so I use cfdisk, but I can't create the partition, I think it is because I'm already using it, should I have created it before installing the base packages?. what do?
>>
whats a good motherboard for FX-8350 ? no OC but something decent.
is chipset 970 shit?
>>
>>57877012
Mining bitcoin on consumer hardware used to be profitable. The difficulty has gone way up with the introduction of ASIC's.

I mine ethereum on GPU's and trade it for bitcoin. The difficulty is going up as more people start to mine it and the price of ether has started to go down because of the DAO situation and various attacks on the network. The attacks never seem to take the network down and the problems that made them possible are always fixed very quickly but it generates bad press.

If you have a few GPU's around and have cheap electricity(or don't pay for it) then you could make some money mining ether.

I used to donate my GPU power to folding@home. But making a few dollars a day won out over charity in the end.
>>
>>57877158
Just make sure you use a SATA controller that supports AHCI.

Some motherboards have more than one SATA controller, sometimes a shitty one designed strictly for optical drives.

Go into the BIOS before you install the OS and set the controller to AHCI. Don't set it to IDE, and don't set it to RAID. Not all raid controllers support S.M.A.R.T. and TRIM.

If wear leveling is not working properly you're gonna see some performance reduction and possibly failure way sooner than you should.
>>
File: 1481002696445.jpg (89KB, 640x434px) Image search: [Google]
1481002696445.jpg
89KB, 640x434px
>>57877892
Yes the reason why a phone is better is software and hardware a name brand phone will have better hardware IG a better processor more ram more hard drive space etc etc and better operating software
>>
>>57877370
Just use a DVI to VGA adapter.
>>
>>57877754
Look for a bitcoin ATM near you, there are maps online that tell you where they're at.

Some of them have a $100 minimum.
>>
>>57877792
Transmission, deluge, or azureus(vuze).
>>
File: hotkey.webm (600KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
hotkey.webm
600KB, 1280x720px
Can't set MSI AB hotkey
>>
>>57877792
Deluge is like uTorrent, but good
>>
>>57887219
Hope there's another option, but I guess I'll have to do that anyway.
>>
File: sku_403604_1.jpg (44KB, 700x700px) Image search: [Google]
sku_403604_1.jpg
44KB, 700x700px
I got a cheap kingdian chink ssd.
Now I want to put it in my desktop but I want to stresstest it first before I do import stuff on that machine. Should I just use the old free version of hdtune or are there better tools?
>>
>>57884005
Anyone???
>>
>>57887833
if on a linux box, run shred a few times on the whole drive.
>>
Is there anyway to download or view a delete youtube video or it's absolutely impossible?
>>
My sister accidently deleted, via the recycle bin, a bunch of photos on her iMac. Is there a simple way to recover those images without taking out the hard drive and running PhotoRec or something similar on it?
>>
Hey guys when I installed Ubuntu in 2013 on my samsung notebook (RV411) the trackpad worked just fine even the scrolling gesture. I installed Debian today and it doesn't.
Can I just get a generic trackpad driver? I don't care about gestures.
>>
>>57887977
restore them from her backup
>>
File: cute goddess having a laugh.jpg (31KB, 270x360px) Image search: [Google]
cute goddess having a laugh.jpg
31KB, 270x360px
>>57888019
Are you implying she actually used the backup hard drive and software I got her last year?
>>
>>57888033
of course, any smart person would have backups of important data
are you implying your sister is retarded?

(ps. no, turn that shit off and run photorec/similar asap, the more you do on it, the more chance of them being overwritten for good)
>>
File: 1464831051771.jpg (80KB, 500x746px) Image search: [Google]
1464831051771.jpg
80KB, 500x746px
>>57886151
After few searchs I found mp3gain.
Honestly though it still sound the same to me.
Will test on the DAP ASAP, thanks again.
>>
>>57887710
?
>>
File: 1481047313944.jpg (135KB, 450x449px) Image search: [Google]
1481047313944.jpg
135KB, 450x449px
i have had a bit of experience using i3. should i try out bspwm now or am i still a duckling?
>>
File: 5.jpg (225KB, 1200x903px) Image search: [Google]
5.jpg
225KB, 1200x903px
How often you should do maintenance to desktop/laptop?
Hardware wise I mean like cleaning of dust? changing thermal paste?
>>
>>57886884
>>57887035
I'm just at my wit's end. I've looked through every BIOS option and I just cannot get this SSD to accept Daz Loader. I'm fucking sick of dealing with this shit on my day off and I want to throw the goddamn thing out the window.
>>
What is the go to installer/updater for Chromium on windows these days?
>>
Whats a good lightweight C IDE for Linux Lite. It's a pretty old laptop(Latitude D610) and its quite beat up and this is the only distro I can run. I can't seem to install CodeLite for some reason.
>>
Hello

Im using a Windows 7 pc for playing games.

I wonder if I have to restart my pc after having finished downloading and installing a game on Steam.

I would also like to know if it can harm anything when I install a game, launch and play, then uninstall without having restarted pc in the meantime.

Thanks in advance hope to hear from you guys soon
>>
>>57888610
You don't have to reboot, though I do it out of habit. Unnecessary. No, you can't fuck anything up by doing that.
>>
File: blow-2001-03-g.jpg (179KB, 1200x785px) Image search: [Google]
blow-2001-03-g.jpg
179KB, 1200x785px
I have a computer I built running FreeNAS. I have Plex and transmission running in jails and transmission connects to NordVPN through OpenVPN. I cannot seem to get it download any faster than around 400 kb/s. This wasn't a problem when I download torrents through NordVPN's client and utorrent or whatver torrent client.

Any ideas? Thanks.
>>
File: 1480267302880.png (15KB, 203x243px) Image search: [Google]
1480267302880.png
15KB, 203x243px
memes aside, whats the best online plataform to publish a blog?
>>
Is there ANY advantage to using UEFI over MBR? I've got a 4TB storage drive. Can I use it as MBR, then partition it into two 2TB drives later (since MBR doesn't support anything over 2TB)?
>>
>>57888652
wordpress
>>
>>57888655
uefi is a firmware interface and mbr a boot sector for hard disks.
think about it.
>>
>>57888652
If you want something simple with no config and don't care to much about security and shit
This >>57888669 or tumblr.
>>
>>57888681
I've posted ITT earlier. Trying to figure this shit out.
>>
>>57888631
Thanks a lot for your quick and helpful response.
>>
I'm going to try and make this as short as I can, so I recently purchased this Amp/Dac from amazon:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/SD793-II-PCM1793-DIR9001-Digital-amplifier/dp/B00A2QLPJM/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1481146272&sr=8-1&keywords=SMSL+SD793-II+PCM1793+DIR9001+DAC+Digital+Audio+Decoder+amplifier+-+Black

I plugged these headphones:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Audio-Technica-ATH-M30X-Professional-Headphones-Black/dp/B00HVLUQW8/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1481146229&sr=1-1&keywords=audio+technica+ath+m30x

into the headphone jack at the front and used a 3.5mm to RCA adapter at the rear to plug my amp into the "line out" jack on my computer, all well and good, but I'm pretty sure I've fucked up somewhere.

I have both the PC volume and Amp volume all turned up to MAX, and sound the amp is reproducing is so quiet, like real whisper quiet. I've checked both the amp/cans are compatible, checked what I ordered was actually an amp and not just a DAC (just in case I made a rookie mistake), checked I used the right cables etc, but the amp doesn't seem to be producing any, well, amplification.

Any help would be appreciated,
>>
How "botnet" is Firefox Sync?

I switch between Windows and Linux a lot so it's really useful to have. But it is a bit scary knowing that every single bookmark and what have you of mine is on some server somewhere.
>>
>>57888703
Sure thing. Good luck.
>>
is there an Xresources manager for going through different theme configurations? i just installed arch on a laptop and want to change urxvt from the default white but it made me wonder if there's a package for this.
>>
Does anybody know of a good CBR reader for windows where the scroll wheel zooms rather then pans, or one where I can assign it to do that?

>>57886687
bumping this
>>
>>57886293
5.1 system
>>
>>57888814
CDisplay Ex
>>
I'm trying to connect my Pc to a AV receiver trough the optical output of my mobo
(GA H170 Gaming 3 Gigabyte)
But it only send audio trough 2 channels
My receiver is ser to 5.1
I searched the manual but it only says that the mobo support 7.1 & optical

While in the Realtek Manager optical only shows at 2 channels with various sample estés
Any help?
>>
i added cmb1/uevent to i3 config for battery status and now it says error on the right and my system just shut down. what gives. also i didn't have an i3 config even though i wanted one by default and had to cp it but it still gave issues so i deleted it and tried to just reboot shit and it still has the error. shouldn't it show my dcphp ow?
>>
File: ffmpeg-logo.png (9KB, 396x100px) Image search: [Google]
ffmpeg-logo.png
9KB, 396x100px
What is better for quality in ffmpeg, using ffmpeg to downscale, or encoding at full scale and letting a browser or video player resize the video to fit a screen?

Say for example webms here. if you open a 1920*1080 webm in a thread you probably won't see it at that resolution, it'll be 1000*500 or whatever. Assuming you don't care about people opening the file manually to get the full resolution are you better just letting the program resize the video, or encoding at a size it will most likely be viewed at? I hope that makes sense.
>>
I'm currently using Firefox with:
>httpseverywhere
>canvasblocker
>ublock, with all the lists I could find.
>umatrix

I'm also using dns.watch as dns.
Something more I could do to improve security, or functionality?
>>
>>57889062
resizing in the browser on the fly has to be fast, so it's less accurate than letting ffmpeg do it before using more advanced algorithms.
>>
>>57889065
https://panopticlick.eff.org/

look at this and realise to be truly hidden is a ridiculous chore and only worth it if your life actually depends on it. Do your best to minise tracking where you can, most of those addons do well. But don't sweat it too much. Are you at least using a VPN?
>>
Why did they make USB type B (the full size ones)? Why not just use type A on both sides of the connection?
>>
>>57889152
to prevent people from looping.
basically, people were too stupid to use it, so one had to be different.
>>
>>57889152
for the same reason we don't have power extension cords with male plugs on both ends
if it /can/ be plugged in wrong, someone will do it
>>
>>57886170
Really? Nothing? fucking nigs.....
>>
What difference does it make if use Google instead of searx or other alternatives?
Alternatives are almost there but Google is better in a lot of regards. I'd like to keep privacy as much as possible of course, but I don't think it's really that big of a deal for someone like me with (I'm going to say it, sorry) nothing to hide.
>>
Are there any downsides at all to using a HDD with "NAS" in the name in you desktop PC?
>>
>>57889384
google tracks you, obviously. feature. You can enter !g "search" and it will direct you to google results without google tracking it as your search. There are thousands of bangs you can use to search thousands of different sites. Even if you primarily use google I find it's actually easier to use duckduckgo bangs to google than use google itself. !i for google images, !maps for google maps !yt you youtube and so on. Then other sites, !w wikipedia, !sc soundcloud, !wolfram wolfram alpha. bangs are great.
>>
>>57889456
NAS type hard drives are designed to be on 24/7, have vibration dampening, cost a fair bit more and are generally going to be more reliable than a standard hdd.

no downsides at all really, but unless you are using one for NAS type environments you really don't need them, it's just going to cost your more money. better save the cash and use it to improve other aspects of your computer.
>>
>>57888971
anyone? how does i3 recall this shit when i don't even have the config file anymore?
>>
anyone knows of an open-source cloud storage service?
>>
>>57889553
syncthing
>>
>>57889504
I see, been looking around for a new HDD lately and I read that HGSTs are supposed to be good, but I can only find their NAS drives where I live. What's the general consensus on the best brands and their HDD lines? Looking for a 4 or 6TB one.
>>
>>57889108
I have ProXpn, free edition. But when I browse sites I trust, or I have to log in, I don't use it. Main problem with it is that I always forget to turn it off when I log in somewhere, for example to read mails, and everytime the website thinks my account has been hacked, and freaks out, temporarily blocking it and shit.

>to be truly hidden is a ridiculous chore
yeah, I know. I fell for the meme, I guess. But I'm also paranoid about a lot of things.
Good to know I don't have to use more addons though, I have already too many, and Firefox is slow enough as it is now.

I already took the test with panopticlick, but umatrix breaks it. Allowing some scripts and plugins it works, and it says I'm pretty much OK, apart from having a unique fingerprint I cannot explain.
>>
File: Screenshot_2016-12-07-18-14-15.png (214KB, 480x800px) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_2016-12-07-18-14-15.png
214KB, 480x800px
I have windows 10 on a lenovo laptop and something is wrong the booting process appearantly. And on top of that, the auto-repair isn't working. I tried many different things to no avail. I ended up just restoring to the last update but now, about 12 hours later, it's done it again. What can I do to repair, or at least repair the auto-repair. I'm not very computer literate so I searched around for about two hours the first time around, even manually trying to fix the auto repair through the command prompt but I ended up just restoring it.
>>
File: Screenshot_2016-12-07-18-14-33.png (544KB, 480x800px) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_2016-12-07-18-14-33.png
544KB, 480x800px
>>57889626
I should also add that before each time it would do this it would say "restart required" but I kept ignoring it. Both times I have done this I left it paused on a youtube video for a long time to go eat dinner and by the time I got back it was attempting auto repair. Is something wrong with it or is it my fault for not restarting it?
>>
>>57876385
I'm trying to make a "sneakernet" network with a rpi. The idea is that I can plug in a USB and it will automount the largest partition and copy all the files in it to a directory. How easy is this for someone with zero real programming experience? Can this be accomplished with a udev rule?
>>
>>57890166
yea, just use udev to run a bash script which mounts it, does some sanity checking if applicable and the copying/rsyncing
>>
>>57888870
I tried that like 5 minutes before making that post, I couldn't get it to work that way.

Mind explaining me how you get it so scroll zooms?
>>
>>57890203
Would I be able to make a rule that would run with every USB stick, regardless of make and storage? Where can I find some good resources on udev and bash and the like?
>>
>>57890278
i haven't gotten around to working with udev myself yet, though it appears to be pretty useful
>>
>>57890278
>>57890336
looks like it'd be very easy to make a rule that matched any kind of usb storage device
if i plug in a usb drive while monitoring udev events, i get lots of general information, notably;
ID_BUS=usb
ID_TYPE=disk
DEVNAME=/dev/sdh1
ID_FS_TYPE=vfat

etc, everything you need
>>
>>57890420
>>57890278
http://www.reactivated.net/writing_udev_rules.html#example-printer
even mentions an example which is close to your use case
>"Yet another reason for writing udev rules is to run a particular program when a device is connected or disconnected. For example, you might want to execute a script to automatically download all of your photos from your digital camera when it is connected. "
Thread posts: 343
Thread images: 43

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.