[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Grandma has a computer RIDDLED with malware. What is the best

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 3

File: fbi.jpg (465KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
fbi.jpg
465KB, 1280x720px
Grandma has a computer RIDDLED with malware.

What is the best scanner to just purge all the shit off her computer, /g/? Pic almost related.
>>
Install gentoo
>>
File: 1480867431656.jpg (60KB, 533x712px) Image search: [Google]
1480867431656.jpg
60KB, 533x712px
>>57874770
Fuck off faggot
>>
>>57874733
Just bring a live Linux USB or rescue disc and format her drive. Install windows again with avira+comodo firewall. If she doesn't care about certain software and/or games then you can just install ZorinOS or a similar Linux distro so she doesn't get malware again.

Once a system is infected there's no guarantee you can completely purge malware from it.
>>
>>57874733
The best way is to wipe and reinstall. No scanner will guarantee it's all gone.
>>
>>57874782
>avira+comodo
Thank you friendo

>>57874789
>OS reinstall
>explaining to grandma that her icon are in different places
Too much work
>>
>>57874733
Wipe it and install ElementaryOS, Mint, or Manjaro
>>
tronscript that shit if you want to keep the same OS, or just save all safe files (photos, videos, maybe some document), format and reinstall the same OS.
>>
>>57874831
you can save program placements..
>>
>>57874733
dban, remove CMOS, reinstall
>>
>>57874733
Seriously though. Install Gentoo.
>>
Format and reinstall.

It's fast and 100% effective.
>>
Dual boot Remix Os. Enable custom launchers. Make computer retard proof.
>>
Format and install Lubuntu with only Firefox + Ublock Orgin, Abiword, and a file browser on the desktop. I did this for my mom about a year ago and she still hasn't fucked it up. Shes really shitty when it comes to computers.
>>
MSE + Hijackthis + Rootkit scanner + and software that can force delete files
>>
Mint is the distro Old Ladies should use.
>>
>>57874733
I've been there as well, OP. I installed Xubuntu on my grandma's PC and last year and there's still no issues of maware
>>
>>57874733
A solution that served me once in the past.

Removed her HD and attach it to another computer; install as an internal secondary HD or use an USB Adapter or Docking station. While attached, utilized the second computer to run the scanners on the (now) secondary disc.
>>
>>57874733
>>57876941
Of course, start off by starting and scanner her computer in Safe Mode. See how much that cleans things out before going more drastic routes.
>>
>>57875129
Not him, but a friend of mine bought a refurbished Thinkpad from a family-run store a few weeks back, it had a bunch of free software like Libreoffice - except the desktop icons were replaced to look like Word, Excel etc. I assume it's exactly for the reason that most people wouldn't get confused
>>
>>57874733
Format C: /Q
Boot from Windows Install CD.
Profit
>>
>>57874733
Install gentoo
Thread posts: 22
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoin at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Posts and uploaded images are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that website. If you need information about a Poster - contact 4chan. This project is not affiliated in any way with 4chan.